Part 4: 41 Days

This Story

Everything I gave to you

Wasn’t for you

It was so that it would feel like nothing to me

Everything that was pointed towards you

That wasn’t love

It was only because I wanted to believe that it was

That we’re reachable

 

                Kim Sung Gyu has a habit of observing her now. From the time she enters the office until the time they leave everything and call it a day. He is well aware that it’s creepy and he knows he has an innate tendency of being a stalker. But he ignores that, there’s something else more important than his current state of mind.

 

                The news article that she has written had been a hit. And everybody famous now wants to be featured by the magazine and interviewed by her. He never doubted her talent. It was obvious from the start that she was different.

 

                The next celebrity that they’ll be working with is part of an Idol group who released a solo album. His songs are way different from the songs his group has released. The album has more of a rock vibe to it. He ends up buying the CD and listening to it all day just so he’ll be familiar with the artist and what concept they’ll do for his photoshoot. He thought the artist would be more comfortable being photographed performing, in his own element instead of doing an actual photoshoot.

 

                That’s not the only reason why he bought the album though, he wanted to understand why his partner has been humming one particular song over and over until everybody’s humming to the same tune. There must be something significant about it. And he’s curious.

 

                She gets another visitor that afternoon. These visits are becoming a frequent afternoon occurrence. She’ll always come back with a white envelope in hand, clutching it to her chest as she goes directly to the editor-in-chief’s office, coming out looking more solemn than usual. She stops humming the song all together after that.

 

                Curious as to who has been visiting her every afternoon, Kim Sung Gyu looked outside his office window one afternoon to see a familiar black car and a more familiar woman talking to his partner. He doesn’t know what the conversation was about, but he has an idea that it might have something to do with him.

 

                “Omma…” the word left his lips and he feels like he swallowed a ton of bricks and its lodge in his throat, choking him. So this is how they work. Is this a way for them to bring him back? What does his partner have to do with them?

 

                He was waiting for her to return the next day. He wants an explanation. He wants her to defend herself. He just wants her to say that she’s got nothing to do with them.

 

                She didn’t return like usual. Jang Dong Woo, one of his co-workers, went to him handing a familiar white envelope. He doesn’t need to open it to see what’s inside. He gets a call from his editor-in-chief.

 

                A stack of white envelopes rest in her table, exactly 41 of them. All with the same amount, untouched.

 

                “She’s been having a difficult time since she started. She needed the job to pay for her mother’s hospital bills and the rent. She told me to keep these and give it to you when the time comes.

 

                I received a text message earlier saying she’s taking a leave… She didn’t give a reason. I assume her mother needs her. I’m letting her take that leave, in the meantime please work with Dong Woo-ssi on his next project. I don’t know what’s happening, but I think you do. Fix this or we’ll lose a good writer. And take these with you…”

 

                Kim Sung Gyu left the room carrying the white envelopes; it felt heavy in his hands. Honestly, he wants to burn them. It came from something filthy. His mother, no matter how nice she thinks she is, still has that twisted way of thinking. He’s proud that she proved his mother wrong.

 

In 60 seconds, you came into my heart, brought out another me and made me realize I need you.

The realization sinks in 41 days later

 

You came into my heart

I don’t doubt it

That you took me away

The time that wasn’t short

You’re that kind of person

A story that’s enough for me

You disappeared from my life

I didn’t hold you back

The short amount of time

That I saw your heart