Part 1: 60 Seconds

This Story

 

60 seconds is enough for this story

You have entered my heart

I don’t doubt that you have taken me in this not-so-short time

That’s the kind of person you are, a story that’s enough for me

I don’t need a reason

You made my heart flutter and you made me find you – that first time

 

                    Kim Sung Gyu isn’t paying attention. He doesn't understand what their Editor-In-Chief was talking about and he didn't care. He’s tired and sweaty. He’s been here for almost half the day and there are so many things that he needed to do, needed to finish now.

 

                    The office was painted white but the building's too old to even hold that color.  The furnishings were old too, looking so run down from frequent use. The room was small but it was always busy. There are cluttered papers everywhere, cabinets ready to burst from all the documents stuffed inside. Kim Sung Gyu decided that patience is truly a virtue, and his is running out, fast. Taking out a long sigh for the nth time today, he feels like he's going to suffocate. Patience is a virtue, he repeats to himself.

 

                   A few minutes later, the banging of the door breaks the silence. There’s the sound of dripping water on the floor and squishy boots. Was it raining that hard earlier? He thinks. The thought was suspended from a slew of sorry's.

 

                  "I was... Something unfortunate happened... I apologize. I know I was supposed to be here a few hours earlier. But something... I'm really sorry..." The woman (girl) bows 90 degrees and all Sung Gyu can see is a mess of wet brown curly  hair. He feels pity but then he remembers this person made him wait for more than 2 hours.

 

                 "Sung Gyu-ya, this is your new partner.  You'd be providing interview pictures for her..." The editor-in-chief of Real Story, the glossy magazine that Kim Sung Gyu works for says. Introducing the new comer to him.

 

                 Real Story is a celebrity magazine. But not like any celebrity magazines, they promise to capture the inner thought of someone from the business. Something Kim Sung Gyu finds hard to understand. Aren't celebrity magazines supposed to be interesting? And interesting means gossip, dirt and all those things people want to find out about. He’s just been working for the magazine for a few weeks and the writer that he's paired up with previously got fired because she didn't follow the magazines ethics. He doesn't care really, but the new one that they've replaced her with looks like someone who writes for a fanfiction website not an actual journalist. How she managed to get this job is a puzzle. But Kim Sung Gyu isn't really interested in that.

 

                 "Ya! Kim Sung Gyu, are you even listening?" His boss hits him with a magazine in the head breaking his train of thought. He’s not interested in introductions. How many times has this happened in the span of two weeks? No one last, everyone thinks this magazine is going downhill. And he thinks all this is mainly obligatory.

 

                Seeing the annoyed look on the Editor-in-Chief’s face made Kim Sung Gyu decide to just humor her. His place at the magazine might be at stake (regardless of the less than stellar sales of this magazine he still needs the job until he finds a new one).

 

                “Annyeonghaseyo, Kim Sung Gyu-imnida…” He gives a half-hearted bow and decided it’s about time to look his new partner in the eye.

 

                He doesn’t believe in instant attraction but the face that’s looking at him smiling shyly makes his heart pump blood a hundred times than normal. Is this how it feels to have a heart attack?

 

~0~

                “First meetings are always awkward… And I’m not the friendliest person in the planet.  Sorry, I’m rumbling… I do that a lot when I’m nervous. You see, this is my first real job… I mean most of the writing I did in the past were for accounting companies and law firms… Not the most exciting job there is….”

 

                Kim Sung Gyu is awkward during first meetings as well. But for the life of him, he can’t figure out why his brain can’t form words at that moment. His mouth feels dry and decided not to function. He doesn’t want this to be more awkward than it already is. He wants to say something, to make conversation. For the first time he doesn’t feel this is an obligation.

 

                The girl is looking at him again with those shy eyes and he’s about to open his mouth to give a response to her tirade, to assure her that she’s not the least bit annoying him.

 

                “I’ll shut up now… You seem to be…ummm…. I’m boring you out, sorry…”

 

                “No!” He intends to say that in a more calm and soothing voice but it sounded…

 

                “Mad? I mean, I’m sorry I didn’t mean to make you mad… I’ll really… I’ll shut up now. For real… this time...” she looks the other way and seems to be more intent in studying the posters on the wall.

 

                “Keep talking, please. I love the sound of your voice…”

 

                Her head snaps to look at his direction, eyes wide with surprise. Kim Sung Gyu wants to hit himself with something hard. He looks at his camera thinking how many stitches he’d get if he actually hit his head with it. But then again, these things are expensive. His salary alone won’t be able to replace it.

 

                Now it’s more awkward than before.

 

In 60 seconds, you came into my heart