The Simple-minded One

Simple-minded
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Part One

November, 2015, Morning

As soon as Joonmyun stepped into the school building, an immediate stench of sweaty jocks, perfume-drenched plastics, and an awkward chemical like smell (from the chemistry classes) hit his nose all at once, making his face curl into a sour expression. He held his English book in his arms, using his inner elbows to keep it from slipping as he walked. He didn't really need an English class. He studied abroad for some time every year so his English was great. But taking English still gave him an easy A. Once approaching his locker, Joonmyun unlocked it and flung the door open, only to hit his best friend dead in the face.

"shi-- god, Suho, watch it will ya?"
"Oh-- Sorry Kris. I wasn't watching what I was doing--"
"Yeah, yeah, you never do."

The two best friends had their little quarrel while Joonmyun stared intensely at his locker, trying to figure out what he needed and what he didn't. After shoving all of his textbooks and notebooks into his deep, coffee brown leather backpack, Joonmyun shut his locker and turned to his companion.

"Hey Kris, is he a senior too?" Joonmyun asked, nodding his head towards the unfamiliar male.
"Nah, I don't think so."
"Really? Because I don't think I have ever seen him before.."
"Probably because he's a Junior, . Look at his uniform. He's always roaming up here during the mornings and afternoons though. I don't know why. His locker shouldn't be up here."
"Shut up Kris how the hell would I think to look at his uniform."
"Um, maybe because he wears the damn thing every day."
"But I've never seen him !"
"But you know what all grade level uniforms look like! God, you're stupid.
"I'd like to argue and say that I'm simple-minded."

And after Joonmyun's last statement, their second quarrel of the day, out of many to come, had died down. Right when the two's little argument had ended, the boy walked by the two friends and bowed his head.

"Yo-- Suho dude- I think I know why he comes up here every day!"
With a roll of his eyes, Joonmyun began walking. "And why is that, Kris?"
"Can't you tell? He likes me." he called to his friend and began walking after him, kind of quickly so he could catch up.
"...My god, and you said I was the stupid one."
"No, no, no I'm serious dude! He bowed his head at me. He hasn't done that to any of the other seniors."
"Yeah well guess what, genius, he bowed his head at me, too."
"Yeah but I'm the more handsome one here, who do you think he really wanted to nod his head at?"

With that, Joonmyun punched his annoying best friends arm as hard as he could and he let out a small pain. With that, the same unfamiliar boy turned around to the two, laughing.

"You know, I meant it for the both of you--"
"Oh-- well... ..." Yifan mumbled with 50% embarassment and 50% bitterness in his voice, making Joonmyun boom a loud laughter.
"I'm Jongin, by the way."
"Jongin? I'm Joonmyun."

They both waited for Yifan to say his name but as he was still bitter, he simply crossed his arms like a child and stared off to the side.

"This is Yifan. He's like five years old, don't take this personally."
"I wasn't going to." Jongin grinned and began to speed down the hallway.
"Wait-- I was going to ask him why he always came up to this floor in the morning and afternoon." Suho sighed and shook his head.

The rest of the walk to their first class was quiet since Yifan was still upset.

"Kris we passed your class a long time ago."
"Why the hell didn't you tell me before?!" He allmost shouted, getting out of his dazed state.
"I don't know.. I think I forgot--" Junmyeon frowned, furrowing his brows.
"God damnit Suho-- Okay I'm gonna hurry back! See you second period, then!" Yifan yelled and ran the opposite direction, bumping into people as he tried to make it to his first class on time, which was rare but if he missed one more time this semester, he got detention for a week.

Just a few more doors down was Junmyeon's classroom. Making his way in, he sat in his seat in the middle of the classroom. He got out his Math textbook and got out his homework that the teacher was going to check in after the final bell rang, writing down his homework that he had to do tonight.

"Suho~" Junmyeon's classmate, Nari greeted him.
"Oh... hi Nari. What do you want?" He asked her, any facial expressions almost non-existant.
"So, Myeong and I were supposed to go to the movies this weekend, and I already pre-ordered tickets but she can't go now. Her boyfriend got sick so she's visiting him in the hospital. Do you want to go with me instead? The movie got great reviews, too!" She grinned at Junmyeon.
"Nope. Thanks for the offer though." Junmyeon answered with little to no hesitation.

Junmyeon didn't say no because he didn't like Nari as a friend or anything. She was very nice. One of the nicest girls he'd ever met, actually and everybody in their class could agree. But, Junmyeon knew what her feelings were and on top of that, Suho was gay.

"Mm, alright ! I was just asking. But if you change your mind, just kakao me, okay?" She smiled, her smile not as bright as her grin before as she turned to face the front of the class, preparing everything for today's lesson.

As the teacher went around checking the homework, he felt his phone vibrate in his pocket. Taking it out, he saw he got a kakao message from Yifan.

Yifan: Susuuuuu ㅠㅠ
Junmyeon: What, I'm in class?
Yifan: I was late ! And I got DT for two weeks, not one like last

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter