The beginning and the end

You'll always be my best friend

This is the story of a tragedy. This is the story of betrayal. This is the story of something that never should have happened, but did.

This is the story of how I killed my best friend.

--------------

I'll start right from the beginning- when Minseok and I met in kindergarden because he threw a lego brick and it hit me in the eye and I wouldn't stop crying. I remember being hysterical, I had been wailing so loudly, thinking I was going to go half blind.

That was how we met. It didn't start off well.

That's probably why it didnt end well either.

--------------

We only met again several years later. My mother had invited a bunch of her friends children over to celebrate my seventh birthday, and I had been overly excited.

The party ended up being a disaster though. The baker had somehow mixed up my mothers order, and instead of getting the thomas the tank engine cake I had been looking forward to, I had opened the cake box to find a dark brown chocolate cake, adorned with artificial roses, sprinkles and a note that read "happy anniversary, my love."

Needless to say, I ended up sobbing uncontrollably, screaming about how my entire party had been ruined.

About a week later, my mother handed me a card that had arrived in the mail. On the front of the card, written in squiggly, almost illegible handwriting were the words "hapy burthday luhan!" Inside, there was a badly drawn picture of what looked like thomas the train, and at the corner, Minseok had signed his name with a green crayon.

I always hated the colour green.

--------------

Minseak and I are ten when we get enrolled into the same class. It doesn't take long for us to become friends, because nobody else understands how much better pokemon gold is compared to pokemon red like we do.

We become inseperable.

And for years, it stays that way.

--------------

At sixteen, the both of us are adventurous, two reckless teenagers who don't even think twice before acting, young boys looking for something to do with their lives. We can't really be labelled as children, but we can't be called adults either. we're like lost souls, caught in between, searching for anything worth fighting for.

--------------

Yun Minnji is a transfer student from Seoul. She's like any other typical girl, long, straight hazelnut hair, brown eyes, petite figure, friendly personality. Up till this day I still don't understand why, but from the moment she entered the classroom, from the moment I laid eyes on her as she introduced herself, from the moment she flashed that breathtaking smile of hers, I knew she was the one.

It was totally unexpected, and came suddenly, something like a jolt of electicity flying through my veins, or like a rush of adrenaline pumping through my system. I remember feeling my heart beat so fast I almost thought my ribcage would break, and my mind buzzing with millions of thoughts.

That was the first time I fell in love.

It was also the last.

--------------

It took weeks before I finally mustered enough courage to approach Minji, using our chemistry homework as a pathetic excuse to start a conversation. It had turned out better than expected, Minji had offered me help, and in the process we had exchanged phone numbers.

Later that night, after lying in bed and spending twenty minutes rephrasing the same text over and over, I hit send, and patiently waited for Minji's reply.

"Hey, its Luhan. Sorry to bother you but are you free after school tomorrow? I kind of need some help with chem."

"Hi Luhan! Yeah, I'm free :) Meet me at the library?"

--------------

For awhile, everything seemed to be perfect. with Minji's easygoing and happy-go-lucky personality, spending time with her was almost natural. Pretty soon, she started hanging out with minseok and I all the time.

Maybe I was too dense, or maybe I had just pretended not to notice.

I should have known. The way Minji looked at Minseok was the way I looked at her.

--------------

The signs were obvious.

The glances Minseok and Minji exchanged from across the room. The cheeky grin that she reserved just for him. The way sometimes, when their hands came in the slightest of contact, blush would rise to their cheeks, smiles spreading across their faces and eyes glistening with a tinge of excitement.

I wasn't stupid. But I still fostered hope that maybe, just maybe, I was wrong.

Even though deep down, I knew I wasn't.

--------------

They announced their relationship on a monday.

Everyone hates mondays.

--------------

They date for 4 years. 4 painful, excruciating years. 4 whole years of soft kisses, sweet nothings whispers into each others ears at night, tender touches on bare skin, hushed moans in the backseat of Minseoks car.

4 years of love I could only wish to have, but never experience.

--------------

The call came at 5 in the morning. it was from Minseok.

"Oh God, , Luhan." He had said.

"I.. Oh , I.. I don't even know what to say. , I can't ing believe it."

I opened my mouth. but Minseok had answered my question before I even asked.

"Minji and I. We're getting married."

I swear I could feel my heart sink.

--------------

Th  day comes faster than expected. Minseok had asked me to be his best man, and of course there was no way I could have turned down the offer.

--------------

When Minji appears it's like everything is in slow montion.

The church doors open gently, and there she is, walking down the aisle in the white dress she had spent hours choosing. For one second, one split second, I let myself imagine being the one standing there in the tuxedo, looking down at my bride, cheeks tinted pink and mouth hurting from smiling so hard.

Everything after that passes by like a whirlwind. The only thing I clearly remember is the sound of the church bells ringing as the couple had said "I do.", their voices resonating loudly in the small chapel, bouncing off the walls and echoing in my ears again. And again. And again.

--------------

They say to keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

But what do I do if Kim Minseok is both?

--------------

There is blood splatter all over the walls, all over the floor, all over me, all over everything.

--------------

Minseok ah, I'm sorry.

--------------

You'll always be my best friend.