My little horror story

My little horror story

 

+++

It was a normal day for Nam Woohyun and Kim Sunggyu. Well, maybe not typically normal but there was nothing special about it either. They were playing on the beach, doing nothing in particular, just enjoying each other's company.

 

Sunggyu worked as a manager for a publishing company and had to deal with cranky authors all the time. Meeting the deadlines was almost an impossible task but Sunggyu could be stern and demanding so most of the "hard cases" well assigned to him. Sometimes he wished he wasn't as good at his job as he is. 

 

Woohyun was in the marketing business. Sometimes the days were alright and sometimes he lost track whether it was day or night. Depending on the season or new trends, the work could pile up higher than his own height. He was the head of his team so on top of his own assignments, he also had to overlook all of his subordinates' tasks. He knew others sometimes slacked off on this but his caring nature wouldn't allow him to do the same. He wanted to help the younger and less experienced co-workers. 

 

Both of them were incredibly busy and kept crazy schedules. People sometimes only see the nice apartments, good cars, branded clothes... But they ignore the hard work and sacrifice behind all that glamour. Sure, some people are just lucky but most of the time, the success had its price. Woohyun and Sunggyu worked their way from the bottom to the top and often times, it was their relationship that suffered. 

 

Sometimes they gone weeks without having a whole day to themselves. Some days they wouldn't even see each other even though they lived together. So from time to time, one of them would start to feel uneasy, they would start to doubt... They had many arguments, many almost break ups until they finally realized it's okay to take a break and relax. Their jobs didn't get any easier but their positions in the companies got stronger and now they knew it's important to spend time together. 

 

This weekend was they long awaited short vacation. When they felt suffocated in the city, they would just take off for the weekend, forgeting about everything. They would go to the mountains or national parks, hiking, skiing, swimming... Depending on the season, they would pick a location near Seoul and go enjoy it. This weekend it was the coast. It was still too cold to go swimming so they just strolled around. The waves were soothing, the weather was pleasent and it was calm and quiet. Not many people around. 

 

They weren't trying to make memories, they were just happy. 

 

However, Woohyun insisted on taking photos together this time. They had many photos of them being together but most of them were from special occasions or some official events. Very rarely, they would just snap a picture together and Woohyun got sad when he realized that even after all the years, their photos were mostly formal. None of them showed their free nature, the happy smiles, the true love. So now they were taking selcas every five seconds giving the impressions of being just recently in the relationship. Sunggyu chuckled at how cute Woohyun was. He was so grateful. This gave them the opportunity to try something new, to feel the excitement they did when they only just started to date. 

 

None of them noticed the black SUV with a strange driver that passed them. 

 

When they returned home on Sunday evening, Woohyun was making dinner (he always cooked 'cause honestly, Sunggyu was capable of burning ramen) and Sunggyu was going through their mail. The TV was on, the daily news starting. It was the usual. Some political things, then some global news like a disaster happening there and a bomb exploding somewhere else. Nothing too serious, though. No casualities but then they started a report on a corpse they found that day. And both of them got shocked. A young girl (around 16/17) was killed precisely on the beach, they've been on. You know, even if it doesn't happen to you directly, you feel strange when you hear things like that.

 

Because it could have been you.

 

The police was asking for help and cooperation, they still had no solid leads. 

"Do you remember anything strange?"

"No.... I didn't notice anything. You?"

"Me neither. Whah this is crazy."

"I feel... I don't know. Dirty?"

"Yeah, it just doesn't sit well with you. Let's not think about it. Come on, let's have dinner."

"I'm sorry, I lost my apetite."

"Woohyun-ah..." Sunggyu comes and hugs his boyfriend. He knows, how sensitive Woohyun can be. 

However, the shortest horror story is called: Monday. And it couldn't be more true for both of them. They were so busy, they didn't even had time to eat lunch. Being preoccupied, they started to forget about the accident. Afterall, they were only at the same place, they weren't directly involved. 

 

On Wednesday, Woohyun went to pick up the photos they took and that's when it all changed. Usually, you just keep your photos in the pc but this time they wanted to print them so they only checked them briefly while taking them to see if their expressions were okay. Now, Woohyun was finally looking at them but he could not believe his own eyes. Because even if these things weren't in their memory, they were on the photos. The man dumping the body in the ocean then getting in the SUV and driving away. Everything was clear, the plate number ... even his face. 

 

Woohyun dropped the photos and ran to the bathroom. He was throwing up when Sunggyu came home. He heard Woohyun in the bathroom and immediately felt concerned. 

"Hyunnie, are you okay?" He entered the bathroom and kneeled beside Woohyun. 

"Did you eat anything bad? Are you sick?" Woohyun shook his head. 

"Oh Gyu..." He said, teary eyed. 

"What happened?"

"We were there.... we were really there." He stood up, his legs still shaky and picked up the photos. Sunggyu followed him, not understanding what was happening. He took the photos and looked at them carefully. What could upset Woohyun so much? And then he saw it, his eyes widening. 

"Oh my God..."

Woohyun was still pale. 

"I'm scared."

Sunggyu took his hand  and said: "It's okay. We will go and report it in the morning. Now calm down. There is nothing to be afraid of. He doesn't know we have the photos. You are safe."

"But... But he is looking at us!" He picked one of the photos and really, the killer was looking their way. 

"It doesn't matter. He doesn't know who we are or where we live or even that we took pictures of him. Don't be scared." 

Woohyun nodded but still. He didn't sleep at all that night. He could still see everything in the photos. He blamed himself for not noticing it and he feared the killer would come after them. Of course it was ridiculous to think like that. As Sunggyu said, he didn't know anything about them but still... They woke up early and went to submit the photos. They were questioned thoroughly but since they didn't remember anything, they left them go fairly quickly. 

 

Woohyun came home completely exhausted. He felt drained and deadly tired. Usually he would wait for Sunggyu to come home but this night he just didn't have the energy to do it. 

He felt cold chill going down his spine. Something was wrong. Someone was watching them. He turned around and saw HIS face.

"NO!" He shouted but it was too late. The killer already stabbed Sunggyu and smirked. Woohyun run to his boyfriend who was bleeding profusely. 

"Nonononono" He cried.

 

That's when Woohyun woke up. He couldn't draw a breath. Something was pressing on his chest. He heard the front door opening and felt relieved. Sunggyu just got home. He wanted to scream and ask for help but he still had the dream paralysis and couldn't move nor talk. It wasn't long and the door to his room opened. It was too dark to see anything clearly but he could see the dark silhouette going towards the chair near the window. Sunggyu was trying to be quiet so he wouldn't wake him but Woohyun felt disappointed his boyfriend didn't notice he was in distress.

"Yah... wa-ter..." He wasn't sure if he said it aloud. Sunggyu stopped near the chair but didn't turn around nor answered Woohyun. He was getting frustrated. He was still shaken from his nightmare, why wasn't his boyfriend paying attention to him?

"Water~" He rasped out. It was hard for him to talk but then he heard it and the pressure on his chest got stronger. His heart stopped for a second. He was sure. The shower in the bathroom. But... Only the two of them lived together so... Everything became still. Sunggyu must be taking the shower, getting ready to join him in the bed but....

...If Sunggyu was in the bathroom...

...then...

Who was Woohyun looking at?

 

+++

the end

 

a/n: As I said in the foreword, this is something I experienced. But only in the dream :) so don't worry too much. I don't believe in ghosts and I know sometimes you can "wake up" twice - like then you are dreaming that you are dreaming... etc. But one day, I just had this really weird nightmare. I don't get too scared even if I am dreaming bad things and this time it was just like in this story. My mother, sister and me were playing outside, taking pictures and we captured the killer. In my dream, he also didn't know anything about us but I felt like he knew and was coming to get us. That's when I woke up. My boyfriend was out drinking with his friends but I heard the front door so I assumed he got back. I saw him coming to the bedroom but I couldn't move. Just as I described Woohyun in the story, I asked for water. I wasn't really that scared, just annoyed that I was still paralyzed and my boyfriend didn't notice it! He didn't react to me at all and then I heard the shower. Noone else was home so I just knew it was my boyfriend and I got a little scared. I was afraid to look back at the figure in my room but I have some guts you know :D so I just turned my head but the figure was gone. I still had trouble to draw breath for a while but then I got up and drank the water and waited for my boyfriend to come out of the bathroom so I could share the story with him. I've never experienced anyting similar. I didn't wake up for the second time and I was registrating everything that was happening in the house after I woke up. And I clearly saw a figure. I could see the door moving, the figure entering and making its way towards the chair. It looked like a human. No clouds or just weird shapes. Simply a silhouette of a human. And then it was gone. Just like that. So I decided to make use of this experience and written this story. I hope, I creeped you out a little :)