You....??? (5)

You....???

I was able to escape going to school after the "incident" as I was not feeling well and with the holidays coming up within that week, I was able to convince my mom to let me stay at home. Luckily, I did fell sick after that day as the stress of whole birthday disaster plus the fact that I was not able to sleep well at night due to a certain man and his memories caused my body to shut down to recuperate. Unfortunately, my sanctuary did not calm me down as I could still feel his hands roaming over my body, his lips touching parts of my neck and chest, before trailing down to my . To le and my hardened . Soon, I felt restless, wanting to escape my sanctuary for the little help that it provided.

 

"Suzy, honey. Are you okay? I don't know. You seemed off these past few days. Everything's fine at school, darling? Or is it anything to do with your friends? Did something happen between you and Sandara or Yoona?"

 

Hearing Yoona's name made me cringed but I tried not to let it show, lest my mom became more worried about me. She already had a hard life as it is, having to deal with my dad's death as well as working hard to support her only daughter and herself. Forcing a smile to my face, I hugged her to reassure her that I was fine even though I felt that I was being broken into hundred pieces inside. I knew that I would have to eventually meet Yoona to patch things up, but I was also afraid. Afraid that she would question me or worse, if her cousin asked about me. After opening my heart only to find it trampled to the ground, I'm scared to allow any one else into the barrier which I had constructed. I'm scared to have these new feelings that I got each time my mind replayed the scenes with the man with those warm eyes and deep, soothing voice. What if I opened my heart to him, but it turned out that he only regarded this as a one-time affair to be forgotten? My heart would be crushed further. No, I can't take that risk. I rather escape.

 

"Suzy, have you been listening? I said, do you want to visit your grandma and grandpa in Busan? Since your school vacation is here, it would be great to visit them. I can't go as I can't apply for any leave. Work's just too hectic at this moment but I'm sure your grandparents would be more than happy to see you."

 

Those words coming from my mom's mouth seemed like the perfect escape plan and I immediately agreed to it. It was decided then that I would leave in 2 days time to spend the vacation in Busan. With any luck, I would be able to avoid my friends and be off to Busan before you know it.

 

However, even the best of luck deserted me when I bumped into Yoona and Yong Hwa at the supermarket the next day when my mom sent me on an errand. It was awkward when my trolley accidentally bumped into theirs as Yoona dropped her arms from Yong Hwa but I guess, this was God's way of forcing me to face this problem instead of leaving it hanging.

 

"Um, hi, Yoona.. Hi, Yong Hwa"

 

"Oh God, Suzy... I .. This is not what you think.."

 

"Save it, Yoona. I know you and Yong Hwa had been going out for several months. I.. I heard you that day during the party. I.. I can't say I forgive you as yet for lying to me about all this but you are my best friend. Just give me time to get through this. So.. Sorry, I.. I can't stay. Bye." Using my grip on the trolley bar as a form of support, I managed to get my point across to both of them, who looked down towards the floor in guilt. Before my courage left me, I quickly exited the area, not caring to stop even as I heard Yoona mentioning Minho's name. Part of me wanted to stop and turned around to ask her to repeat what she had said about Minho but the cowardly side of me forced myself to move forward to avoid the words which could have the potential to hurt me.

 

__________________________________________________

 

The cool air mixed with the freshness of the sea brought a smile to my face as the worries of my life in Seoul were left behind. Walking along the beach near my grandparent's home seemed like a daily affair for me after I arrived a week ago. Feeling the sand beneath my feet, I did a little skip while balancing the groceries which my grandma had asked for. I still felt the ache in my heart but it was slowly lessening. Sure, my dreams at night were still filled by the man whom I finally acknowledged I had fallen for, but I also had accepted that I would not go anywhere in that relationship as I had decided to remain single to avoid anymore heartaches. Eversince that day when I met Yoona at the supermarket, she did not messaged me, perhaps knowing that I needed this time away from her.

 

Cleaning my feet against the bottom step of the house, I entered the childhood home of my mother. The place where she grew up and met my father before leaving to forge a new life in Seoul with her newly wedded husband. I was puzzled as the house was empty and started to shout "Grandma... Grandpa..." but no voice answered back. I went to the kitchen to look for them, but saw a note pinned to the fridge instead.

 

" My dear darling cutie bun.." I blushed as I read the nickname which was given by my grandpa when he saw me as a baby looking like a well-rounded bun. " Grandpa and grandma will be going to your aunt's place in Changwon as she was hospitalised. Don't worry, she is fine. She just need to be in the hospital for a while. We will be gone for a few days to take care of your cousins. So, behave, cutie bun.. No boys while we are gone." Rolling my eyes, I laughed as there was no way that would ever happen. Trust my grandpa for adding that in when he knows I would never do that.

 

As I was busy preparing my own dinner, I heard the doorbell rang a few times. Thinking that it was a friend of my grandparents, I decided to inform whoever at the door of their absence. With a smile on my face, I opened the door.

 

"You.....???"