Proposal

It's You

“Even though my heart aches, it is you; the precious in my earnest heart.”

– It's You, Jung Eunji


it's an 11k of nothing, seriously. you've been warned.

 

Jongdae has been working in this law firm for almost four years straight since he was graduated with laude label from the prestigious university in Seoul. Refusing to come back home in Ilsan, Jongdae chose to move away and started a new life in the crowded, amazing, capital city of South Korea; Seoul.

 

At first, it never crossed his mind that he would be hired in the one of the most famous law firm in town, Jung and Associates Law Firm, like seriously. He has known this firm since long time ago that this law firm was like a heritage for Jung family, rumor has it that all family members went to law school to be able take over the office and the prestige – it also said that if there’s anyone refused to follow the tradition, their name would be erased from the family and not being considered as heir.

 

Only the smartest or at least the kids with most connections would be hired as legal associate, so Jongdae tried really, really hard because he knew money and connection was not the thing that he might have – he grew up with parents working as teachers. He studied even harder and prayed even harder. He promised he would go to church more often if he got the chance to.

 

So when he was called three days later and he was said to work as a junior associate, Jongdae couldn’t be any happier. Even his mother sent him a shirt and a necktie that he wore the next day after.

 

When Jongdae beamed happily as he entered the building, he ignored the glances that landed to him and walked to the receptionist, still wearing the same happy smile that maybe enough to make a girl got sick seeing it. “Morning,” he greeted eagerly. “I’m a fresh hired man…,” when the receptionist asked for his name and Jongdae told, her face saddened as she handed the ID card to him.

 

“You’ll be working for Miss Jung,” the receptionist – Jongdae stole a look to get her name, Yuju – said.

 

“Well,” Jongdae shrugged. “Aren’t we all?” he cackled but Yuju didn’t even smile.

 

“But you’ll be working specifically to Miss Jung.” she explained but Jongdae still didn’t get the picture. “You don’t get it?”

 

Jongdae shook his head. “Enlighten me.” he asked as he placed the ID on the pocket side.

 

“You’re hired as a junior associate for Miss Jung…, in other words, you’re hired to be her secretary.”

 

The ID card fell to the ground, along with his jaw. “I’ll be a personal assistant?”

 

“No!” she shook her head. “A secretary is different with personal assistant,” she huffed, trying to calm the boy in front of her now. “You’ll be fine, I promise…, Miss Jung is a kind person…,” but her eyes didn’t show she was telling the truth so he squinted his eyes. “Come with me, Miss Jung is already waiting for your presence.”

 

Inside the elevator, Jongdae was so, so clueless and blank. How could he tell about this to his parents, his mother even!! Damn it, an assistant?! What should he do to his 3.85 GPA? What should he say to his friends, “Dudes, I’m working as a personal assistant at the most prestigious law firm in Korea?” – Jongdae massaged the area between his forehead and cursed under his breath, he didn’t want to work as a secretary for anyone, he wanted to have a real job! He wanted to defend that old lady that was accused for stealing while actually she didn’t. He wanted to feel the joy of winning a case. He wanted to brag about it. But damn it! A SECRETARY, FOR PETE’S SAKE!!

 

“Is…, this Miss Jung old already?” imagining that an old lady flirted was disgusting.

 

Yuju chuckled. “I think you should read more about her, I thought she’s pretty friendly with newspaper…,” Yuju replied as she bowed to a man that went out of the elevator. “Miss Jung is beautiful, smart too, I heard she graduated at the age of 14 from high school and nailed her master of law at 22.”

 

“That doesn’t answer my question though…” Jongdae crossed his arms against his chest.

 

“Then you should see it by yourself.”

 

Yuju led the way to the only door in the end of their way. The wood must be expensive, because it looked so smooth a d the pattern was difficult and he knew only great wood could be carved like that. Jongdae shook his head, why on earth he should observe things like this?!

 

“Miss, the new associate is here,” Yuju called and Jongdae looked down to the figure that was sitting on that expensive chair, eyes focused on the document, completed with reading glasses and knitted brows. She was wearing a sleeve white dress, and her hair was straight but it was colored light caramel – Jongdae thought it looked dark orange – and she got that cute flat nose and oval face.

 

When she looked up, Jongdae knew she was the most beautiful lawyer he’s ever seen – and she was young too, nothing like a flirty old lady he expected minutes ago.

 

Jongdae nervously smiled at her and responded with a soft nod from the female. She signaled Yuju to leave with her hand and it made Jongdae felt like he was a prey and this female in front of her was the predator.

 

“So um…., Miss Jung—” Jongdae was cut off.

 

“—this client is accused of being unfairly paid by his management company and wishes to leave as soon as possible, but sadly he can’t provide the proofs before the court. Your opinion?” Eunji placed away the document from her sight and now her eyes focused on him, she got a pair of sparkling black orbs.

 

“Are we on the company’s side?” Jongdae asked and Eunji shrugged – it meant Jongdae was free to choose.

 

“If my client can’t prove about being unfairly paid, then what about other reason that makes him wants to leave? Mistreated, for example? If he were my client, I would suggest him to bring witnesses that knew well about it. But since managers and team workers must be asked to shut their tongues already, then what about his closest friends or acquaintances? Or you said that this is a management company…, then at least he has to have fans right? Fans can’t be bribed, fans always have their idol’s back. I think they would make a perfect start…” Jongdae took a breath finishing his words. He swore to God he did see this female smirked at him.

 

“As expected from an honor student of Seoul University,” she let out a very small smile and continued. “Now get your feet to the pantry and bring me coffee. Black, no sugar. If you pour one tiny drop of it, I’ll fire you like what I did to that dumb girl three days ago.”

 

Jongdae blinked confusedly at her. Did she just… ask him to do chores?

 

“What are you looking at?” she said loudly, surprising him. “Do you want me to fire you on your very first day, Kim Jongdae?”

 

Jongdae shook his head and turned around, quickly tried to find the pantry and make that goddamn black coffee.

 

That was somehow a memory of how Kim Jongdae ended up to stuck with the bossy boss, Jung Eunji, before weird things happened in four years afterward.

***

Jongdae knew he shouldn’t nod at his friend’s offer to party on Sunday night, because he had to work the day after. But after four years dedicating his life to his arrogant boss, Jongdae did not regret to follow Chanyeol’s steps to the club near their flat.

 

Jongdae was having a bad hangover and he looked around, finding Chanyeol was already nowhere to be found. Chanyeol was a better drinker and his body tolerate better than his own. He saw a glass of water and painkillers on the nightstand and he smiled because Chanyeol was such an attentive best friend. Even though they took same major in university, Chanyeol chose to work as a legal officer in a bank, he said the duty jobs were easier than being a lawyer like what Jongdae did. Chanyeol too knew about his boss, but Chanyeol just said that it might be his stepping stone, a way to reach something better in future, so Jongdae obeyed to stay with his job.

 

Back to the pity, hurried Kim Jongdae, the 23 years old boy was running to the office as he kept checking his watch. A meeting would be held in twenty minutes and Eunji would turn into a monster if he didn’t show up any minute before. His phone has been beeping, but Jongdae just ignored it. He needed to be thankful to Do Kyungsoo, a neighbor, later when he got back, because he always asked Jongdae to jog around together.

 

The security officer, Lee, saw him from afar and let the door open so Jongdae could get inside the building.

 

“THANK YOU, HYUNG! I OWE YOU SANDWICH!” Jongdae screamed and Lee just raised his thumb.

 

“Miss Jung has been looking for you, Jongdae…” Yuju kindly told him as he stopped by to take the papers for his beloved boss.

 

“Pray for me ‘kay?” Jongdae rushed to the elevator that was already full and crowded. At the time they saw him, some of them voluntarily went out and for who stayed, Jongdae took out his ID card and said in a very calm tone, “Priority, 6th floor.”

 

The elevator was vacant in the count of millisecond. Jongdae held his smile until the door closed. He still couldn’t believe that she still got the power of being so intimidating even when she wasn’t around. But well, she was expected to be the only heir of this law firm.

 

Jung Eunji had three steps siblings; two older and one younger. Jung Soyeon and Jung Jinwoon were the children from their father’s first marriage. Jung Eunji was from the second, and a 6 years old Jung Daehyun from the recent marriage. Eunji was at the stake because Soyeon clearly showed no interest being a lawyer, even after spent 4 years studying law in university (rumor said Soyeon did that just to please their father). For her, fashion was her only sense and now she was a CEO of a premium brand, so their father couldn’t say anything. Jinwoon was too busy chasing girls and thinking that he was still a college boy. Daehyun was too young to enter this battlefield – that’s why their father had no choice left, even from the fact that Eunji was a female and she wasn’t a child from the first marriage.

 

Jongdae snapped awake of his reverie when the elevator dinged open. He rushed to the door and when he opened it, it was already empty. Damn it, was she mad at him? Mad was not a right answer, furious maybe.

 

Jongdae met a staff on 6th floor, Joohyun and he stopped her to ask. “Miss Jung is being a monster now in conference room.” she sighed. “Poor Taeyong, he was screwed for mistyped the subsection and things got heated…,” Joohyun sent a glare at him. “Go and make your boss stop her venomous tongue, she wouldn’t get a place in heavens, believe me.”

 

Jongdae rolled his eyes but he dashed to the conference room after mumbling to Joohyun, “She doesn’t even have it on the first place.”

***

“You were late, Kim Jongdae. Care to give me a reasonable explanation on why are you late while I did tell you, twice, that I’ll hold a meeting for that stupid old guy’s case?” Eunji was sitting too comfortably on her chair and her glare was killing. “And I didn’t have my morning coffee!!” she ranted. “You know I’ll go crazy if I don’t get my coffee,” she now crossed her arms against her chest, waited for his answer, which Jongdae could imply as “One wrong word, I’ll take you down.”

 

Jongdae knew he would be in a deep trouble if he answered it honestly, so he instead tried to distract her with pointing at her dress – she looked beautiful with that fitted sleeveless grey dress, her body line was carved perfectly and Jongdae seemed to lose his sense, “Your dress is good, is it new?”

 

“Soyeon’s work.” she replied curtly, still didn’t want to skip the argument. “Where were you?” her eyes now squinted – oh how she looked like she was interrogating a culprit.

 

But their little chitchat has to be paused because Kim, Eunji’s father secretary entered her room and bowed at her. “I knocked thrice but you seem to be in a great talk, Miss Jung.” he said and Eunji pressed her lips into a thin line. Kim went closer and Jongdae’s eyes fell on a paper that he held since he went in. He handed it to her and he added, “You were right about them, Miss Jung.”

 

Eunji read few lines and Jongdae saw an evil smirk lit up her face. Jongdae knew it. He knew what it meant; it’s a F. F stands for Fault, Failed, Fired.

 

“Where are they?” she asked as she stood up, fixing her dress. Jongdae unconsciously stepped closer and fixed her hair – the small scene made Kim and Eunji froze. But since Eunji didn’t complain, Jongdae kept fixing until he felt it was fine.

 

“5th floor, they are having a group gathering in the moment.” Kim answered in a soft tone.

 

“Great. Let the show begins!”

***

Jongdae as always would lead Eunji’s steps, but it never happened when Eunji was about to let go. He waited patiently behind the female as he followed her to the cubicles, whose owners were whispering and wondering why a boss went to their level.

 

Eunji smiled as she found two middle-aged men were leading a group gathering – it was like an event where the Heads and their subordinates talk about their business – and Jongdae knew party was over as she stepped in.

 

“Go on,” Eunji’s smile lingered. “I’m just observing, please go on…,” Eunji then asked Jongdae to sit beside her and Jongdae watched her intently. Eunji was always confident in courts, but whenever it came to firing, her hands would tremble. She never fired a person just because she disliked them, she always had reasons. And mostly her reasons were enough to make Eunji cried – if only she were a crybaby – because she was too angry to speak.

 

Jongdae knew how she hated these men. Jongdae has been asked to search about them for no reason. It didn’t need an expert to tell, Jongdae knew it was supposed to be related with the law firm.

 

They were talking about commitments when Eunji raised her hand and asked, “Are you two committed with your jobs, Mister Lee, Mister Song?”

 

Silence ensued.

 

“Can I join?” Eunji asked and without waiting, Eunji went on. “I saw your resume and I am really impressed with your background, Mister Lee…, you came from a poor, saddening background and now look at you, you are wearing an Armani suit!” Eunji cheered but her eyes showed the opposite. “And yours is fascinating as well, Mister Song…, my grandpa paid for your tuition?” she arched her brow. “You work here because you feel thankful, don’t you?”

 

The bright smile turned into a dark, scary look that she usually wore when she glared at the guilty culprit.

 

“But things change, don’t they?” Eunji smirked as she threw down the paper on the table. “You two got greedy, and started to steal my father’s clients and stole his money– wait, it’s my money too as we speak now…,” Eunji sighed. “I would like to remind you that this law firm is not for partners. Partners do share the clients and keep the money for themselves because they are on the same level. But you two, Mister, are associates. You are my subordinate, you literally work for me. I chose which client you’ll be working on, not the opposite…,” Eunji clenched her fists. “You two broke the rule, and you’ll earn the consequence.” Eunji gave her last smile and continued, “You’re fired, both of you. You have a month– no, two weeks, to find another job and return the money you stole. If…, if I find out you don’t return it until the due date, I will make sure by myself you won’t be able to have a job, not even being an office boy.”

 

After dropping the bomb, Eunji walked away with Jongdae rushed to stay behind her. She was still trembling when she failed to press the button, so again, unconsciously Jongdae held her hand to assist her to press the button. It took some time before the elevator opened and they went in.

 

“How did I do?” Eunji asked, to no one specifically, but she waited for a response.

 

“You did amazing, as always…” Jongdae replied automatically and earned a glare from the female. “I’m just answering,” Jongdae shrugged it off and he heard Eunji was sighing.

 

“What’s my schedule for today?” Eunji changed the topic and listened to Jongdae very carefully. “Push the meetings to tomorrow, I need to be somewhere now.” Eunji looked up as the elevator dinged open.

 

Right before Eunji stepped out, she was called by her secretary, and when she turned her head, she found a sincerely smiling male. “I’m serious, Miss Jung, you did amazing as always.”

 

Eunji smiled sheepishly, it was a smile that Jongdae saw it for the first time. He smiled back and Eunji went away the moment after. He was delighted. “Kim Jongdae, are you coming?”

 

Jongdae went outside and followed Eunji to her office. She took her handbag and it urged Jongdae to ask, “Where are you going?”

 

Where are we going, you mean?” she corrected. “We’re going to meet my father…,”

 

“Oh,” Jongdae couldn’t find a better word to respond his boss.

 

“Yes, oh.” Eunji clicked her tongue and went out, and as always, Eunji had Jongdae on her back, following wherever she went.

***

First to say, Jongdae has never been to the Jung mansion before – hell yes he has been to Eunji’s place to run errands repeated times, but never to this luxurious, huge mansion. Eunji lived separately from her family, she said to avoid any misunderstanding with her father about works. Jongdae knew too their relationship wasn’t really the greatest.

 

Eunji walked straight to the backside of the mansion, there was a family pool and they met an old couple was sitting on a bench; the male was reading newspaper, the female was sipping her orange juice. They paused somehow when Eunji arrived.

 

“I heard you fired some people today,” her father said, he got that low voice for a male.

 

“Yeah,” After that she got a splash of orange juice on her face.

 

“What a stupid person.” her father commented. “How many times do I need to teach you about good karma?” he gazed up to see her daughter didn’t bother to wipe away the stains. “If you know someone does bad deeds to you, you only need to do as exactly as what they did. They took your money, you take theirs. Only morons chose to let them go.”

 

“But I asked them to return the money—” she was cut off.

 

“—but they are laughing at you! Where’s the karma?!” he yelled at her and the woman beside, tried to console him. “You’re as useless as your siblings. I shouldn’t let you work for me since the beginning….,” he eyed his daughter that remained motionless and careless. Her face only showed slight respect, nothing else.

 

“Is there anything else you want to tell me?” Eunji asked.

 

“Your mother arranges you to meet a guy,” he cleared his throat. “Go meet him.”

 

“Which mother you mean? I have three of them…” she said casually and her father almost threw the glass if his wife didn’t stop him.

 

“What are you talking about?! You only have one mother! Her!” she pointed at his wife, Daehyun’s mother. “She was being so nice to set up a blind date for you with nice guys. Go meet him and give me pleasant news.”

 

“Why should I?” she still resisted.

 

“Because I don’t want to hear people gossiping about you,” he answered. “Soyeon doesn’t want to get married, Jinwoon is no different. I want to have grandchildren. I want to see babies from my blood line, isn’t it too much to ask?”

 

Eunji snorted. “You can always bang a girl and pay them to have a baby from your blood line.”

 

Her father was already on his heels, was about to slap her, when a hand avoided him to slap Eunji. Both of them stared up at the person and Eunji’s eyes widened.

 

It was Jongdae.

 

Jongdae saved her.

 

“I’m so sorry, Sir, but I think a slap will ruin her beautiful face. She still has an appointment after meeting you,” Jongdae stood before Eunji to shield her enough from the older male.

 

“Eunji, isn’t this your personal assistant—” her father was cut off.

 

“—I prefer to be called as secretary—” Jongdae corrected but cut off too.

 

“—he’s my boyfriend.” Eunji finished the sentence.

 

All eyes now landed on her with widened eyes, literally. Jongdae’s actually were the widest.

 

“What?” Jongdae blinked stupidly.

 

“And he’s my soon-to-be fiancé,” Eunji went on and it made Jongdae’s jaw gaped open.

 

“What?” her father also blinked stupidly.

***

Jongdae has been staring since forever. Eunji knew it but she chose to ignore the glare and chug down for her sixth glass. She needed to loosen herself after the exhausting day. Jongdae knew Eunji was a terrible drinker, but she yanked his hand away every time Jongdae tried to stop her.

 

“Don’t stop me!” she yelled and Jongdae raised his hands in surrender. He had that small idea to abandon her there and go back home to watch the soccer match, but his heart and humanity didn’t let him to leave this coldhearted boss alone. “Kim Jongdae,”

 

“Yes, Miss Jung?” Jongdae responded, almost automatically.

 

“Why nobody cares about me?” Eunji asked innocently. Jongdae, who was busy looking around the club, now had his eyes focused on her watery eyes. She’s drunk, Jongdae thought. “My mom doesn’t care about me, my father too…, my sister cares about her brand more than me, my oppa? That stupid oppa cares about his sport cars than me. Daehyun says he likes me, but heck, he never calls me because his mother doesn’t allow him to. I don’t have any friends because my father said friends only exist for the weak. So yeah… No one really cares about me… I’m so pathetic.” Eunji shifted her eyes to him and created that small smile, it was small but it was decent. “Kim Jongdae cares about me?” she asked cherrily.

 

Jongdae tried to hold back his smile, because Eunji looked like a stray puppy that wanted to be brought home and never let go. She looked that cute when she was smiling because he caressed her hair. She looked harmless when she whined because Jongdae stopped caressing.

 

“Does Kim Jongdae care about me?” Eunji repeated her question.

 

“Yeah,” Eunji’s eyes sparkled when Jongdae nodded. “Of course I do care about you,”

 

Jongdae needed to take a note of Eunji’s habit when she was drunk because he definitely did not see it coming; Eunji pulled him closer and slung her arms on his neck, without hesitation Eunji claimed his lips.

 

It was anything but wonderful and felt so right.

 

When she finally let go, she abruptly fell on his board chest, where his heart was pounding hard, sleeping soundly.

 

Sometime later, at midnight in Eunji’s bedroom, Jongdae was trying to put her down on her cozy bed and covered her with the blanket and smiled because ever since he brought her home, Eunji didn’t let go of his hand. When he was about to take it off, Eunji whined. “Stay…,” she said breathlessly. “Alone… No… Don’t want…,”

 

Jongdae was stunned because after four years of working with her, Jongdae finally saw how vulnerable she was. Jung Eunji never asked nor begged, to anyone. She would get whatever she needed in a blink of eye, even it meant she had to hurt some people.

 

“Stay,” she repeated hoarsely and finally he nodded and sat on the sheets, Eunji smiled because the heat from someone was there beside her. Jongdae softly tucked her and hummed her lullaby. “Don’t go…,” Eunji asked.

 

“No, I won’t go anywhere.” Jongdae assured her and then he watched her slowly drifted to sleep and let out some soft snores.

 

Jongdae pulled away for a moment to pull up an armchair near the bookshelf, and brought it at the side of the bed. He grabbed a small cushion and a blanket off his sofa as he passed and settled into the armchair, flicking the lights off on the bedside table. The sound of Eunji’s gentle breathing filled the room and Jongdae breathed, “Good night, Jung Eunji.”

***

Eunji woke up with the worst headache ever as she tried to sit up and remember what she did last night. Eunji remembered was about to earn a slap for being impudent. Eunji remembered about forcing Jongdae to accompany her to have some drink. Eunji was in blur but she kind of remembered Jongdae tried to stop her after the third glass – she has reminded him that never allow her to have a fourth glass because she had a weird habit if she was drunk – but she yanked his hand away. Eunji blushed… damn! She remembered about whining to Jongdae about her life and double damn! She kissed him! WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU DONE EUNJI?

 

Eunji then averted her gaze to a sleeping Jongdae. She glanced at him and she was so touched because Jongdae was a man with his words. His shirt looked crumpled and his hair messed a bit, but it didn’t hide the fact that her secretary was quite a charm. With his strong cheekbone, pretty eyelashes, and full lips, please don’t forget to mention about his broad shoulders and firm chest, really Eunji? You’re a lawyer and now you’re thinking something dirty? she believed Jongdae would easily have a girlfriend.

 

That was when she recalled the moment she called him her boyfriend and he gaped in awe. Of course, their relationship wasn’t at best after all, and it was impossible for both of them to fall in love with each other since well… Eunji was a wolf and Jongdae was the poor shepherd. In four years tolerating her, Eunji has been making Jongdae to cancel all her dates, his appointments, and his promise to return to Ilsan for a visit. He obeyed to whatever Eunji asked him. He always gave his truthful opinion whenever Eunji wanted him to. In short, Eunji didn’t want to lose him.

 

She needed him. She needed him to help her.

 

Right on cue, Jongdae made some moves before his eyes fluttered open. He blinked and ran a hand to his hair carelessly when he saw Eunji, but then his eyes rounded after getting his sense back of where he was right now. He checked his watch and cursed under his breath, it was already 11 AM and it meant Eunji has skipped her 9 AM meeting. “Miss Jung, I’m—”

 

“—starving, me too. Let’s eat first.” Eunji stepped down of her queen size bed and walked off, leaving Jongdae alone.

 

He folded his blanket and placed the cushion back along with the armchair, then he went outside.

 

He found Eunji was preparing pancakes for breakfast and she motioned him to sit when Jongdae asked whether he needed her help with anything.

 

The breakfast was incredibly tasty but the silence was louder than their heartbeats. Jongdae realized Eunji has been anxious and stole some glances, but he chose to wait. He didn’t want to ask because it would be rude.

 

Eunji finally defeated and said, “I need your help,” Eunji said in her signature firm tone, even she was right now begging – her face showed the exact opposite. It was still colorless.

 

“Of what?” Jongdae, her secretary (or how he called himself, Executive Assistant/Secretary) glared at her confusedly.

 

“Marry me.” Eunji replied with monotone voice, eyes gazed back at the male.

 

“What?!”

 

“Or I’ll fire you.”

 

“What?!”

 

“Don’t what me, I need you to agree on it. It’s not like you save yourself for someone special…, do you?” Eunji found a hesitation appeared clearly on her secretary’s face.

 

“This is not about me saving for someone special! This is about my future! Miss Jung, I’m still far from achieving things I wanted in life. I’m still young, so are you… And more, why me? Why it has to be me?”

 

Eunji didn’t like to be argued, she scrunched up her nose and sighed. “Fine, you don’t want to marry me? Fine, be my fiancé instead. How’s that sound? Better in your ears?”

 

Jongdae made a face and he was this close to burst in anger, but he didn’t because somehow Eunji was her boss. “It still sounds scary to me! You haven’t answered me anyway! Why me?!”

 

“Because…” Eunji sipped her black coffee before she gazed sharply at Jongdae, it was deathly enough to make Jongdae stopped inhaling oxygen. “… You’re my last resort, my last hope. My father is now trying to set me up with some random strangers that don’t have brain but showing off on how much money their parents have. I don’t want to be married to someone I don’t know at all…”

 

“And you don’t mind to marry me?” Jongdae raised a brow.

 

“At least you’re not a total stranger for me. I know some fun facts about you.” Eunji frowned.

 

“Oh really?” Jongdae wiggled his brow. “Tell me then, where was I born?”

 

“Siheung, Gyeonggi-do.”

 

“My GPA?”

 

“3.85, seriously, don’t you have trickier questions?”

 

“Okay, what about my role model? Who is it?”

 

“I’m quite sure it’s either Ban Ki Moon or your mother. One time I found you reading a book about him and saw another one on your desk. And your mother, well you always seem to enjoy quoting her when you give your opinion to me.”

 

“My favorite food?”

 

“Anything that has chocolate in it is your favorite.” Eunji said in all cockiness and it was enough to make Jongdae roll his eyes on her. “Do not roll your eyes on me, young man.”

 

“Sorry, Miss Jung. It’s a reflex.” Eunji just snorted at him. “But that doesn’t enough to be a reason to marry you! You know things about me yet you’re always being so introverted…,”

 

“Fine! Don’t marry me and just be my fiancé for at least a year.”

 

“A year?!”

 

“Yeah, a year. You’ve worked for me for four years, it won’t be any more difficult…”

 

Jongdae sighed, knew he was losing. “Fine,”

 

“Fine?” Eunji wasn’t misheard, was she?

 

“Under some conditions…”

 

Eunji growled. “How dare you—”

 

“—you want this to happen or not?” Jongdae challenged her and Eunji pressed her lips into a thin line. “First, if this really happens, I want you to give me a proper work, a case. A case that was enough for me to gain some popularity… No, no interruption. Second, I want this scheme lasts only for a year, after that I’ll resign from your Executive Secretary to a legal associate of yours, an associate that has a case to work on, not run errands for you…”

 

Eunji looked like she was about to have a comeback but she swallowed it for herself and nodded slightly. “Fine, I need you to be my secretary but I need a getaway even worse. You’re good at reading situation, Kim Jongdae…,” Jongdae just shrugged at her. “Okay, tomorrow you come with me, we need to buy our engagement rings—”

 

“—third, let’s do not forget who the man here is.” Jongdae his lips. “Even though I may not buy some expensive ring, but I think I can manage to buy it.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yeah,” he nodded. “The salaries I’ve been received more than enough to buy me a yacht.” he said sarcastically and Eunji let out that smirk.

 

“I have a family gathering next week, we should announce it properly there.”

 

“Well then, please empty your schedule for this weekend, Miss Jung.”

 

“Why?”

 

“We’re going to tell my parents first.”

 

“You mean we’re going to your hometown?”

 

“Ilsan? Yes. We are going to Ilsan to tell them.”

 

“But—”

 

“—do you want this to happen or not?” Jongdae snapped and Eunji puffed her cheeks in annoyance. “And uh, since we are now supposed to be dating…, I think we should start to call each other by name.” Jongdae proposed another stupid idea.

 

“I always call you by name, Kim Jongdae.” Eunji furrowed her brows in confusion.

 

“Yeah, right,” Jongdae nodded lazily. “And I always call you Miss Jung. How can your family believe that we are really boyfriend and girlfriend?” he asked. “Since now you have to learn to call me Jongdae without Kim, Miss Jung, and I will also learn to call you Eunji, without Miss Jung syllables.”

 

“But—”

 

“—do you want this to happen or not, Eunji?” he repeated his question, now seemed comfortable already calling his boss by her name.

 

Eunji didn’t have a reply for that rhetorical question, so she just chopped her pancake and chewed it mercilessly. Jongdae, who saw it, just chuckled silently as he enjoyed the chocolate topping.

 

This was going to be fun.

***

Friday morning when Jongdae was done packing, Chanyeol gave him a long, hard look. “Dude, are you really doing this?”

 

“Do I have other choices?” Jongdae sighed.

 

“Well you can start with finding another job,” Chanyeol suggested.

 

“We both know how powerful she is. At the time I asked for a resign, she would call all law firms and offices in Korea not to give me a job. Dude, do you want to pay rent by yourself?” Jongdae asked suggestively.

 

Chanyeol shook his head instinctively and said, “Is she that scary?”

 

The bell dinged when Jongdae was about to answer. “You can see it by yourself,” he pushed Chanyeol to open the door.

 

The tall giant did as he was asked to. He opened the door and his eyes met the Madam Wolf in flesh. She looked fashionable though, with that faded jeans and black tee. She just took off her spades and Chanyeol found a pair of coldest eyes he ever saw.

 

“I’m here for Kim Jongdae.” she said in bored tone.

 

“Oh yeah, he’s still inside. Please come in.” Chanyeol motioned her to walk in.

 

Eunji thought a boy’s room would be a total mess, just like his brother’s, but turned out she was wrong. It was neat and cozy. Her eyes landed on Jongdae packed and nodded in agreement, he didn’t miss anything else.

 

His eyes landed on her and he gave her a smile. “Hey, Eunji.”

 

Instead greeting back, Eunji had a question. “Why are we driving to Ilsan?” she asked.

 

“Because train doesn’t have a VIP class, Eunji. Do you want to share your seat with somebody else? Children, ahjummas…,” he trailed off because her frown was there and Jongdae smiled at that. “… Exactly,”

 

“Then are you ready?” she asked. “We can’t be late.”

 

“It’s still 8 AM, Eunji, no need to worry of anything.” Jongdae smiled and picked up his bag. “Shall we?”

 

Jongdae gazed at Chanyeol and his roommate tapped his back. “Come back as one, okay?” he asked worriedly.

 

“Sure thing, Yoda.”

***

The trip was quiet. Jongdae filled the silence by humming to songs on the radio while Eunji was reading a document – it was a case of violating a contract – and when she was about to write, she realized she didn’t have a pen. She turned her head to Jongdae. “Do you have a pen? I forgot to bring one.”

 

“Just check the dashboard.” he replied curtly and continued humming to the song.

 

Eunji obeyed and instead of a pen, she found a box inside. Curious, she took it out and her curiosity grew because it has for Eunji written on it. Eunji opened the box and found something that enough to make her gape.

 

It was a ring – or so an engagement ring that Jongdae said in few days ago.

 

It was simple, nothing much, but it almost made Eunji burst in tears. She was so touched because it meant a lot for her, this somehow told her that Jongdae did something for both of them.

 

“Not too cheesy, right?” he took a glance and saw tears were almost fell down on her cheeks. “You’re crying?” he asked incredulously.

 

“Am not.” But now she sobbed. “I got something in my eyes.”

 

“Okay,” he chuckled and then he touched his belly. “Hey, I haven’t eaten anything since morning, can we make a stop by at the rest area and grab something to eat?”

 

“Mm– hmm.” Eunji was dreamily staring at her new ring and Jongdae just smiled seeing it.

 

Something weird happened between them, Jongdae was smiling and Eunji didn’t have that coldhearted vibe in her anymore.

***

Jongdae brought Eunji to have chicken as their food and he then left Eunji for a while and came back with a banana smoothie in a plastic a glass.

 

Eunji furrowed her brows because literally Jongdae was spoiling her, but a question popped out of blue. How does he know about her favorite beverages? She believed nobody really knew about her lame addiction to banana smoothie. But when she asked, Jongdae just shrugged it off and said, “Lucky guess?” he then went back to finish his chicken.

 

“Tell me what your parents are like…” Eunji said and Jongdae had some moments to think.

 

“Both my parents are teachers, so I think manner matters? They are formal firstly but the more you get to know them, you’ll find them very easy to talk with.”

 

“Do you have siblings?” she asked again, she had the urge to find more interesting facts about Kim Jongdae.

 

“Surprisingly I do. I come from a big, happy family. The eldest, Minseok hyung is a lecturer at a local college in Ilsan. Junmyeon hyung teaches at my middle school. Jongin is a private dance tutor. Dasom volunteers as a freelance teacher. Yerim is still in high school. All of them dream to be just like my parents, the only kid that disobeyed is me…”

 

“You have five siblings?!” Eunji widened her eyes. Even though she too had siblings, but they were all not really related to her. But this? This was epic.

 

“Yep.” Jongdae sipped his cola from the straw.

 

“Are you close to your parents? Do you visit them often?” she kept on the same topic.

 

“Well, I’ve been busy for these four years remember?” Eunji knew he was teasing her. “But I am close to them. I call them twice a week just to say hi.” he smiled and stood up to wash his hands.

 

Eunji nibbled on her straw and again stared down on the ring. She craved to know more about him and she still didn’t know why.

 

“And how about you, what’s your story?” Jongdae asked, mouth full with the chicken. Eunji clicked her tongue because the sauce stained his lips. Automatically, Eunji stretched out her hand and wiped the stain off his face. It left Jongdae stunned for some seconds, but Eunji didn’t show any indifferent.

 

“Well, long story short, my mother is the reason why my father and Jinwoon oppa’s mother split.” Eunji shrugged. “So when she was cheated on by my father, I wasn’t angry or surprised. I thought it was a good karma and she deserved to earn it.” Eunji shifted her eyes and found Jongdae was looking at her. “That’s why I’m so scared of having a steady relationship. I’m scared that I’ll also be a cheater or cheated on. I’m scared that when I have someone by my side, I grow addicted and can’t find a way to stop it. I’m scared, that’s why I thought it was the right choice to distant myself from everyone. I don’t want to be hurt.”

 

Jongdae watched Eunji finished her meals and excused herself to go to wash her hands. Jongdae sighed deeply and felt bad on her. It never crossed his mind that his boss would have that kind of story. Deep down, Jongdae promised that he would make her happy in some ways he could.

***

Jongdae had a really big family because as soon as he stepped off the vehicle, Eunji heard a young girl screamed his name and jumped into his hug.

 

“Whoa, Yerim! You’re getting so taller.” Jongdae kissed his sister carelessly that made her giggled. He put her down but her sister refused.”What?”

 

“Just until we get home, I promise. Please, please, please?” she begged and Jongdae sighed in defeat. Jongdae left Eunji behind as he peppered his sister loving kisses and went home first.

 

Eunji looked like a stray puppy for sure, should she go? Or stay and wait until that realizes? She was so immersed in thoughts until a finger tapped her shoulder. Turning around, Eunji found a male smiled like an angel. He had pale skin and his hair was styled just like as if he was finished his military service.

 

“Hello. I saw you coming with Jongdae. Are you a guest?”

 

Eunji nodded carelessly. “Yeah, but he abandoned me here.”

 

He cackled. “He’s just so happy to meet his baby sister.” He extended his hand. “I’m Kim Junmyeon, by the way, Jongdae’s brother…”

 

“Ah, you’re a teacher in his middle school, aren’t you? I’m Jung Eunji,”

 

 “Ahh, seems like Jongdae already talked about his family to you. Then it means you are more than a guest, I assume…” he let out that same smile. “Come on, you should get in and greet everyone.”

 

Eunji followed Junmyeon entering the house and she could hear some girls were screaming and a boy yelled cheerily. This was so unlike her house. This was nothing compared to her house; the warmth that sent tingling feeling to her spine, the familiar smell, the happiness. There were dozens of pictures hung on the wall, while at her house the things that hung were only prestigious certificates that show the worth of a Jung.

 

Junmyeon led her to the living room, where she watched a wrestling battle between her secretary and a young male with tan skin, and the girls cheered on them. Eunji has met Yerim then it meant this girl that had same pale skin like Junmyeon was Dasom.

 

“That is Dasom, that little girl is Yerim, and the poor boy being strangled is Jongin. Minseok is somewhere, let me just get him.” Junmyeon said and stormed off leaving the living room.

 

Eunji waited until the secretary realized what he has done. Jongdae quickly got his sense back and stood up, right beside her.

 

“I thought you need longer time to come back to your sense,” she whispered deathly.

 

“Sorry, I just got excited for coming home.” Jongdae shrugged and he looked at his siblings that now sent him questioning looks. “This is Jung Eunji, people…”

 

“Oh hello,” they bowed politely to her and Eunji did the same.

 

“This is Jongin, Dasom, Yerim. Don’t be fooled with Jongin’s face okay? Even though he seems old—”

 

“—scuse me who do you call old, you jack—” Jongin was cut off.

 

“—he’s a year younger than Dasom. Dasom here is actually a friend of you. You two born at the same year,” Jongdae explained. “And uh, you haven’t met Junmyeon—” Jongdae was interrupted.

 

“I’ve met him. He does look like to Dasom, he’s looking for Minseok…,” Eunji said and Jongdae just nodded.

 

“Come on, my parents are still at work. Let me show you our room.”

 

Eunji blinked. “Our room?”

 

“I’ll take the floor and you’re the bed, relax.” Jongdae led the way upstairs to the room in second door.

 

“You’re a H.O.T’s fan?” Eunji asked, she saw some stickers were glued on the door as Jongdae opened the door.

 

Big fan of Kangta actually,” Jongdae replied and he let Eunji in to the room. “I spent my saving to buy their albums and concert tickets. Minseok hyung once lent me money which I never paid back ever since.” Jongdae didn’t know why but talking to her was getting so fun, and he forgot that the person before him now was the same person that enjoyed torturing him with her icy, cold monotone voice.

 

It was a lie when Jongdae said he knew nothing about his boss. In fact, he knew almost everything about her. He knew how she adored Soyeon’s brand, he knew her favorite food and drink, he knew her habit when she was confused or freaked out or scared, he knew how many times Eunji locked her office room to wail alone. He knew her well enough to agree on being her fiancé.

 

“You may want to have a rest now,” Jongdae suggested. “Tonight is going to be a pretty crazy,”

 

“Why, what happened?” Eunji asked in puzzled.

 

“Today is Yerim’s birthday. We will have a family dinner, some friends and neighbors will come too. You will be exhausted if you don’t take a nap.”

 

“But what about you?” Eunji asked, she wished she didn’t sound very worried, but the smile on Jongdae’s lips made her blush.

 

“I’ll be sleeping in Jongin’s room. Just have a rest okay? I’ll wake you up at 5 because the party starts in at 7.” he tapped her hair and closed the door.

 

Eunji walked around the room and found some silly pictures of his that made her smile. His smell lingered in the room, even when she laid her head on the pillow, they smelled just like him.

 

A year. They only had a year. Couldn’t it be any longer?

***

Eunji rechecked her reflection to make sure everything was perfect. She chose to wear a floral dress, in courtesy of her step sister again, and she made sure she didn’t wear heavy makeup because she wanted to show a freshness, what are you doing Eunji it’s not like you’re really going to marry him!

 

The knock on the door got her nervous, even more with Jongdae called for her name. Eunji waved her hair mindlessly and said it’s nothing different like in a law court.

 

She opened the door and found Jongdae was wearing denim pants and checkered shirt that the sleeves were rolled up to his elbows. His hair was styled pushed back. He looked so, so handsome and stunning and charming at the same time. Damn it, she has been seeing this guy since four years ago! Why now she felt her heart raced faster and the butterflies tickled her stomach…?

 

“You look great, Miss Jung.” he praised teasingly and Eunji tried hard to look nonchalant. “So shall we?”

 

Eunji reached out his hand and held it. They descended the stairs and now they were already in living room, and Jongdae brought her to his parents. His father was alike to Jongdae and his mother was alike to Junmyeon. They were friendly and easy to talk to, it took a while for Eunji honestly to break the ice. Jongdae just shook his head when his parents asked who Eunji really was for him.

 

“She’s my boss, Eomma,” Jongdae answered impassively.

 

“Ah, so the love sparks when you two spent times together at the office? Cuddling, perhaps?” his father teased. “Just like two of us, isn’t it?” his mother just flushed pink and Jongdae whined disgustingly.

 

Eunji now stepped closer to the birthday girl that welcomed her with a smile. “Eonni!” she cheered. “You look so beautiful,”

 

“I do?” Eunji blinked in confusion and Yerim nodded in excitement. “You look amazing too, Yerim. Happy birthday.” she hugged her. “Your oppa didn’t mention anything about your birthday so I don’t have anything to give to you…, what do you want?”

 

Yerim thought for awhile before she flicked her fingers. “Ah! I want Luhan oppa! I really want him to be mineee~~”

 

“Luhan oppa?” Eunji repeated. “You mean…, that Luhan who is now having a lawsuit to his company?” Eunji tried to make sure. “I work on his case!” Eunji said and Yerim’s eyes rounded.

 

“Really?! Really?! Like seriously, really??!!” Yerim now shook her body crazily.

 

“Yeah, I don’t think I can bring him for you because it will be so selfish, but I think I can bring you his photograph and his signature,”

 

“Whoa, eonni!! You really are the best! I give you my blessing if you want to marry my stupid oppa,” Yerim winked at her and Eunji just stood there, wordless.

 

“He’s not stupid,” Eunji said in hushed tone. Yerim looked up to her. “He’s not that stupid, but he’s very, very silly.”

 

“I never tell this to anyone outside our family, but I think because you’re going to be a family…, I should tell you this.” Yerim grinned at her. Her smile was sincere and Eunji liked it. “Jongdae oppa is the kindest guy I’ve ever had as a brother. He may not show it to you that he cares about you, or he likes you, or he loves you… But his actions always show how much his affection for them. Jongdae oppa always put everybody’s needs before him. That’s why I think he would make a perfect partner with you.”

 

Eunji froze. Jongdae never talked much but he would always be there for her. Yerim was called by her friends and waved her goodbye so Eunji turned around, trying to find Jongdae but the male wasn’t around.

 

She was again reached by Jongdae’s mother and they talked about her job, not to mention that his mother tried to dig more information about her son, which slowly Eunji then learnt that she loved him dearly, but when she asked about what their relationship really was, Eunji just shrugged and said to let Jongdae do the talking.

 

Eunji felt the party was too crowded and too loud for someone at her age, so she went out and found a vacant gazebo near the house. Smiling, Eunji sat there and enjoyed her juice. The atmosphere was nothing compared to Seoul and Eunji was willing to pay to be here for some more days. But it didn’t last long since a young female went to her side, she was pretty with that long brown hair and model-like body. She was tall, taller than her. She smiled as she took a seat beside her.

 

“May I sit here?” she asked.

 

Eunji nodded. “Sure, why not?” she looked up to dark sky, there were no stars. Would it rain anytime soon? Rain in a summer, whoa that would sound so poetic.

 

“I haven’t seen you before. Are you Minseok oppa’s friend? Or Junmyeon oppa’s?” she turned to see Eunji and reached out her arm. “I’m Mijoo, Lee Mijoo, Jongdae’s friend.”

 

“Ah…, I’m Jung Eunji. Just an invited acquaintance,” Eunji smiled. “You’re Jongdae’s friend? High school buddies, perhaps?” she tried her luck. If it was true then who knows she would dig for other fun facts about Kim Jongdae?

 

“High school buddies?” she laughed heartily. Did I just get laughed at, Eunji thought. “No, we were couple…” she said it without knowing anything. Mijoo didn’t even see Eunji was now widening her eyes. “We dated until we graduated high school. He got accepted to a university in Seoul while I wasn’t just as smart as him, so I just applied to a local college.” Mijoo told. “He promised me, when he was about to leave for Seoul, that when he already made it, he will come home and ask me to marry him.”

 

Eunji was choked by her juice. She spilled some and shook her head when Mijoo offered help. She took out her handkerchief and wiped the stain, but it stilled there. Now she ruined her expensive dress because of that stupid guy.

 

Junmyeon came right after that, calling for them because Yerim was about to blow her candles. Mijoo stepped away first and Eunji was already trembling but managed to get in to house and pretended nothing was wrong. Jongdae was there, in front along with his siblings and his parents. Her eyes landed on a figure three steps away from her – Mijoo – she was cheering loudly and it seemed like she was friendly to everyone because all of the guests were getting along with her.

 

After Yerim blew her candles, Jongdae stayed in the front, smiling and holding the microphone. He tried to get everyone’s attention and he smiled after that. “Hello everyone, I’m Kim Jongdae, Yerim’s oppa. Because today is a happy day, I have a happy announcement to make…” he paused as he searched for his boss. “I’m already engaged.”

 

The cheers, gasps, and whispers were loud. His parents couldn’t keep their jaws closed as they stepped closer and hugged their son. Junmyeon, Jongin, and Minseok shook their heads, while Yerim and Dasom screamed in joy. Jongdae was all smiling as he tried to find his fiancée. Where is she?

 

Jongin was the first to notice Eunji was standing in the back, next to Mijoo. “Hyung, there she is!” he pointed out and Jongdae followed his finger.

 

It seemed not only Jongdae that followed his finger, because Mijoo too. She turned her head fully to find that the female she just met was Jongdae’s fiancée. Eunji too already looked at her and Mijoo bolted out of the room.

 

Jongdae was flabbergasted. He didn’t believe his sight now. It’s kind of impossible how an ex-girlfriend could stand beside his fiancée? What Mijoo is doing here? Jongdae then turned to see Eunji that was pale and shook her head softly as she left the room to go upstairs.

 

Eunji did take a glance though, that Jongdae chose to run after his former girlfriend than chasing her. Eunji smirked bitterly. What did she expect after all?

***

“Mijoo! Lee Mijoo! Stop right there!” Jongdae caught her hand and stopped her from running. Jongdae made her turning to face him. She was upset. Really, really upset.

 

“What do you want from me?” Mijoo asked, choked on tears. “You promised me when you made it, you will come home and marry me. And now, you’re bringing another woman and introduce her to everyone as your fiancée?” Mijoo burst out in tears.

 

You broke up with me.” Jongdae said, enough to make her stopped crying. “You told me that you don’t want to do this stupid long distance relationship because you’re not good at doing this. We broke up, and don’t you think the promise meant nothing then? We have nothing to pursue together anymore, why should I ask you to marry me?”

 

Mijoo looked down on her feet. “She’s not even that beautiful.”

 

“She’s not.” Jongdae agreed. He recalled how rare for her boss to neither smile nor laugh, how Eunji would always choose to eat by herself or ordered for delivery and ate alone in her room, how Eunji looked so tough and charismatic when she defended her clients. He too then recalled their encounters, those canceled dates, those hatreds he kept for her, those feelings. “She’s an evil. She forced me to cancel my promises with my friends just because to make sure she doesn’t fall asleep while reading her case. She even never smiles. Her gaze is deathly. She never asks me to eat with her. She’s not even close to a category of beautiful.”

 

Mijoo held back a smile. “But you love her anyway.”

 

“Yeah, I love her anyway…., wait what?” Jongdae was flustered with his unexpected comeback and now Mijoo was smiling at him, wiping away her tears. Mijoo just shrugged at him and that unconscious answer made Jongdae stunned.

 

He loved Eunji, even when she was being a monster. He loved Eunji, even when she distanced herself to everyone. He loved Eunji, even when she was drunk and kissed him. He loved Eunji, damn, he really loved that arrogant, coldhearted lawyer.

***

It was almost midnight, Eunji checked her watch before acted as if she was sleeping, when Jongdae opened the door and tried not to make any sound. He went to check Eunji first and then took off his shirt and changed it into a comfortable tee and training pants before he spread the blanket on the floor and pillow. He laid there motionless, staring at the ceiling.

 

“You never tell me that you had a girlfriend.” Eunji said in hushed tone, but it was enough to startle the male.

 

“It’s in the past, Miss Jung, nothing much to worry. I settled things already with her.” Jongdae replied sleepily.

 

“She said once you made it, you’ll come home and marry her…,” Eunji sighed, tried hard not to cry. Why, why should she cry over something that wasn’t her business since the beginning?

 

“It was a joke. I didn’t mean ill, she just took it seriously.” Jongdae yawned after that and continued. “She broke up with me. You don’t need to worry about it. Nothing will disturb this, Miss Jung.”

 

“I’m not worried,” Eunji said. “I’m afraid. I’m afraid that I really fall for you and can’t stop it.” she said softly. “What if I’ve been fallen for you since all these times?”

 

But Eunji was welcomed with the soft snores – Jongdae was already sleeping soundly.

***

When Jongdae awaken the next morning, he found the bed was already empty and tidied. He went to the washroom to brush his teeth and he slowly realized Eunji’s stuffs weren’t there anymore. Hell, even her toothbrush was not there. Confused, Jongdae went outside and found her suitcase too wasn’t there. Now he wasn’t confused, he was panicked. He quickened his steps out from the house and found the car too was gone.

 

Jongdae hurried to dining table and miserably messed up the question. “Eunji…! Anyone sees Eunji…!” he was freaked out when the family members shook their heads and started to ask what was wrong.

 

Jongdae took out his phone and pressed the speed dial #1. Eunji was, is, and still will be his priority. He paced with nibbling his nail. Just like what he expected, his call reached mailbox. He tried one, twice, thrice. But nothing happened.

 

Minseok, as the eldest, tapped his back and asked what happened. Jongdae shook his head and went back to his room with the older followed suit. Jongdae ran a hand to his bed hair and sighed. What’s wrong, what happens, did I say something wrong? Did I hurt her? Was she hurt because what I said to her? Was she jealous of Mijoo? Jongdae was too engrossed with those unanswerable questions when his eyes landed at something on the bed.

 

It was a piece of paper and their engagement ring.

 

Kim Jongdae,

Believe me, you will find it funny if I tell you the reason why I always call you by your surname; because it made feel like I have someone, a real person, that is staying by my side. I am sometimes still couldn’t believe myself, that’s why I keep calling your name – to make sure this is not a dream.

 

You’re a hardworking, honest, and the only secretary that tolerates my mood swings. You stayed after all these times and I felt I couldn’t find a better person than you. You never talked back to me. You never look down or pity on me.

 

The reason I never give you a case, because I’m afraid. You are smart, too smart that it scares me that once I give you, you will get addicted on it and decided to leave me. Remember that I’m scared with those things? Yeah, I’m scared I will lose the one and only person I could call as a friend, a lover too for a week.

 

Thank you for agreeing to do this scheme with me. Thank you for the epic four years. I couldn’t be any more thankful to have you by my side.

 

Jung Eunji.

 

“She left,” Jongdae said, huffing sadly. “She left and I didn’t have enough chance to let her know that I love her.”

 

Minseok looked at his younger brother with sad eyes. “Then run for the chance. Chase her and tell her until you’re sick with the words I love you. Chase her and make sure that she doesn’t mishear. Chase her and get things right. I don’t know what happened between you two until she left that ring…, but I think she too is afraid to say that she loves you.” Minseok gripped his arms, trying to get some sense to the younger. “What are you doing now? Find her!”

 

Jongdae didn’t need to be told twice.

***

 After all the chaos, Jongdae went to her apartment and heard from the security officers that Eunji hasn’t come home. Jongdae tried to knock on her door, but none came out. Jongdae didn’t give up. He went to the office to find it empty.

Jongdae went back to the office in Monday, and he frowned when he saw his table was occupied. He stepped faster to his table and asked, “Who are you?”

 

The young blond female gazed up and said, “Ah you must be Kim Jongdae?” she reached out her hand and smiled. “I’m Naeun, Miss Jung’s secretary.”

 

“What?” Jongdae widened his eyes. “I am his secretary!” he never felt so proud about his job until today.

 

“Not anymore.” Naeun replied with the same smile. “I’ve been assigned to replace your job, because this position has been empty since last Saturday and Miss Jung needs a hand as soon as possible.”

 

“Did she fire me?” Jongdae sounded so irritated. “Where is she?! Where is this ing Miss Jung?” he didn’t care he cursed and made Naeun blinked in shock for cursing literally at her.

 

“No, you are not fired.” Naeun handed a binder and a new ID card. “You are moved to the legal associate division and this is your first case. Miss Jung said this case is about an old lady is accused by her own daughter of stealing the daughter’s money. Your first case is pro bono, means you won’t be paid from the old lady but you will be paid by the office.” Naeun explained carefully and it made Jongdae couldn’t even breathe.

 

Jongdae found a piece of paper; it was a signature of somebody named Luhan, and it was written along with Happy Birthday, Yerim! Thanks for loving me, and she somehow remembered that Luhan was a Chinese idol that Yerim adored the most. , did Eunji get this for my sister?

 

“Where is she?” Jongdae asked hoarsely.

 

“I can’t tell you…, Miss Jung said it’s classified.” Naeun looked sorry.

 

“Damn it, please tell me!” Jongdae didn’t care his voice was a pitch higher. He was so desperate to find her. “She left me before I realized how much I’m in love with her for four years. I called her but she didn’t call me back. I was panicked, I was freaked out! Don’t you think I deserve a proper closure if she really wants this to over?! She started this, not me!” Jongdae has made people in 6th floor came around and whispered.

 

Naeun sighed. “Miss Jung is in China, she didn’t tell me where she is exactly.”

 

“How long she will stay there?” Jongdae’s heart was crushed. Was he that not worth it until Eunji had to run away to China just to avoid him?

 

“Indefinite.” Naeun covered with her hand when Jongdae broke down. “I’m sorry.”

***

Eunji thought after her getaway to China, she would feel better and could get back to her abandoned jobs. But no, she felt so weird when she called her office, it was a female’s voice not the usual low voice of his. Eunji looked so horrible, now everything reminded her of him.

 

Eunji knew she couldn’t hide forever – not when the family gathering would be held. She had to be there, being a trophy daughter as always, even when she didn’t want to.

 

Eunji made sure the bags beneath her eyes hidden with the concealer and makeup. She felt so weak lately and she didn’t even have the appetite to enjoy that banana smoothie that supposed to be her favorite.

 

Eunji greeted her cousins, her aunts, her uncles, and even faked that decent smile. Eunji didn’t want to be here. Eunji had the urge to run back to his narrow flat and waited until he came home. And even if Jongdae refused to meet him, that would be okay, because Eunji already saw him. But no, Eunji didn’t do it.

 

Her step brother, Jinwoon, went to her side. She was standing alone near the family pool, looked blank. He nudged her and greeted her with a smile that was responded with a fake one. “I heard you went to China.” he opened the conversation.

 

“Yeah,” Eunji nodded.

 

“Are you okay, sister? You look so awful.” Jinwoon admitted.

 

“I’m fine, I’m so much fine, so fine that I want to cry…” Eunji replied and again she faked her smile.

 

“You know, you look so pathetic, faking a smile like that.” Jinwoon commented and Eunji frowned. “Where is my coldhearted, quiet, and uninterested-in-everything sister going? Who are you and what have you done to my sister?” Jinwoon chuckled when Eunji smacked his back.

 

“Your sister is having a bad, bad broken heart and she can’t find the antidote.” Eunji sighed.

 

Eunji kept rambling about how stupid love was and why people would fall if in the end their hearts were torn apart too, when Jinwoon averted his eyes to a figure behind his sister. He was panting and gasping for breath and Jinwoon knew there’s something in the way he gazed at his sister’s back; longing, relief, and affection.

 

“Eunji,” he cut her off. “Eunji…, I think you may want to turn around.”

 

Eunji knitted her brows. “No, why should I?” she frowned.

 

Jinwoon forced her to and Eunji had no choice than obeyed. A second after, Eunji met the person she’s been missing to see, he was full with sweats, his shirt was soaked wet so was his hair, and he was panting. But it still didn’t hide the fact that he still managed to look super handsome.

 

“Jong-Jong-Jongdae…,” Eunji stuttered. “W-wh-what are you doing here?” she blinked in confusion. “How do you even get in?!” she couldn’t make any better questions.

 

“I don’t need to answer that question.” Jongdae stepped closer. “I need you to listen to me,” Eunji nibbled her lower lip, so he went on. “Four years, I’ve been working with a monster for four years.”

 

“I would appreciate if you don’t call me as a mon—”

 

“—she’s been torturing and forcing me until I felt like I would have enough power to kill her in her sleep.” Some chuckles and whispers were heard. Eunji blushed. “I hated you so much, until I ignore the feelings that blossomed along with the hatred.”

 

“I know almost everything about you, like how your eyes spark when I bought you a banana smoothie, like how nervous you are when you’re about to fire your employee, like how distant you try to be because you don’t want anyone to be attached to you, or like how you will kiss people around you when you’re drunk. I know almost everything about you, but there’s something I really want to know…” Jongdae reached his pocket and took out the ring that Eunji left that day before. He didn’t kneel like other men would do, he instead inched closer until there’s no space separating them.

 

“You’re a monster, an evil, but I don’t care about it anymore. All I want right now is you, Jung Eunji, to give me the honor to be the happiest man alive to marry you.” Eunji watched as Jongdae slipped the ring flawlessly to her ring finger.

 

“I’m scared.” Eunji admitted. “What if you get bored with me? What if this only will be a recycle of what happened to my mother?” she was this close to cry, and it hurt Jongdae to see her crying.

 

“Me too,” Jongdae reached her waist and embraced her. “I am as scared as you, terrified even. But I really need you, I can’t imagine if it’s not you. This has to be you, it’s you, Jung Eunji.”

 

Eunji hesitated and Jongdae didn’t want to be doubted anymore, so his finger reached for Eunji’s chin, tilted it upward. He gave the sweetest smile to her before pressed his lips on hers.

 

It was the longest, sweetest, and the soberest kiss they ever shared. And it was the most beautiful too.

 

“I haven’t said anything…,” Eunji whispered.

 

“I don’t care. I’ll take that as a yes.” Jongdae smiled and kissed her for second time. Eunji felt the same sensations; the tingling feeling, the butterflies, the urge to never let go. But they had to, eventually, because the cheers and clapping hands were too loud.

 

The clearing throat somehow caught their attention and made two of them let go involuntarily, and then turned to their right side to find Eunji’s father was staring intently at them – specifically to Jongdae’s hand smoothly fitted Eunji’s finger and laced them tightly.

 

Eunji’s father sighed before he let out a question that no one could have the answer, not even the new couple, “I can’t believe I asked my daughter this question,” he huffed before continued, “So when is it? When will you two get married?”

 

 


Author's Note:

August 27th 2015.

this is stupid, this doesn't make any sense, this takes your time.

but thank you! thank you for the views, the comments, the subscribes and the upvotes! <3<3

 

Happy reading!