Informed

Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next morning, Jin rode with Namjoon to the hospital again. He spent the whole ride trying not to hug Namjoon in thanks for considering adopting the stray, but he had to remind himself to be mature about this because it was still early enough for him to change his mind.

As soon as the car was parked, Jin made a beeline to the stray hybrid's hospital room, noticing that Namjoon was following behind him instead of heading off in his own direction. 

"Namjoonie, where are you going?" Jin asked, stopping in the middle of the hallway.

"I'm meeting the kid."

"You already met him, you took care of him before," Jin responded, confused.

Namjoon smiled and ruffled the hair between Jin's ears. "That doesn't count, I wasn't giving him any credit. I want to get to know him. Lead the way." He was pleased to see a huge grin break out across Jin's face; he knew he'd appreciate hearing that Namjoon was making an effort.

Jin was pleased at the sight when he opened the door to the other hybrid's hospital room. As soon as he stepped inside, he saw the younger's face light up. The bed was laid flat but he was sitting cross-legged in the middle with a tray of food in front of him, the thumping noise betraying him to alert Jin that his tail was wagging against the bed. "Jin!"

The older smiled amicably and moved further inside, allowing room for Namjoon to enter as well. As soon as it had started, the young hybrid's tail stilled and his ears turned downwards ever so slightly, the smile slipping from his face. "Oh. Hi, mister."

He himself didn't know why he was disappointed at the human's presence. Maybe it was the thought from yesterday, that he didn't want him. It was a feeling of rejection he was all too familiar with, but with all of the information he received yesterday, he had started thinking that it wasn't the fact that he was injured and therefore less skilled than other possible hybrids. Namjoon wasn't looking for a hybrid who could fight, so there must have been something else wrong with him to make him undesireable. He probably wanted someone more like Jin. Someone who was knowledgeable and kind. Someone who knows how to use a bath.

"Good morning," Jin spoke, trying to work past the change in mood. "How did you sleep?"

"Um.. Good," he mumbled, setting down the spoon he was holding. He was feeling a bit too weird to eat right now.

Jin wanted to smother the poor thing in kisses, reassure him that they're going to take him home, but he doesn't want to get the other's hopes up in case Namjoon doesn't decide to adopt him. It might break his heart, so he will have to refrain from even hinting at it. Instead, he came inside and dragged one of the plastic chairs back up to the bedside.

"How are you feeling today? Any better?" he asked kindly.

But the younger couldn't tear his eyes away from Namjoon. He didn't even glance over at Jin as he nodded shyly.

"Uh, Namjoon came to say hello and to see how you were doing," Jin informed him next, quickly realizing that he wasn't going to get any quality conversation in while Namjoon was still present. The man in question smiled awkwardly and approached the bed as well, standing beside Jin's chair. 

"Morning, kid. How's- uh.. How are you?" He wasn't being intentionally awkward, he just got the overwhelming vibe that the hybrid just arbitrarily didn't like him.

" 'm okay," he mumbled, hardly opening his mouth when he spoke.

"Ah. That's good..."

Jin straightened himself in his chair. "So, what did you do yesterday when you woke up after I left?" he asked, trying desperately to ease the tense atmosphere.

The younger finally took his eyes away from Namjoon and stared down at his breakfast instead, a small smile on his face. His eyes flicked between Jin, Namjoon, and his plate nervously until Jin's genuine smile somewhat placated his uncomfortableness with the situation. "I.. um, I made friends," he murmured, trying to hide his happiness behind a shy grin as he dropped his gaze back to his food once more.

"Oh really?" Jin asked, amused endlessly at how adorable the younger was right now. "Who did you make friends with?" He had no doubts this cutie had befriended everyone that entered this room by now.

"There was Youngbae-hyung and Jiyong-sshi and also Ms. Suzy. She gives me my medicine, and yesterday, she called me a good boy and pet my head." He sounded far too excited to be telling Jin how he was a 'good boy' that Namjoon's stomach was doing flips. He couldn't imagine not telling Jin how important he was to him every single day, and here this kid was, reveling in a simple compliment from a stranger. It honestly broke Namjoon's heart.

Jin laughed. "That sounds wonderful, I'm happy you made some more friends. Who are the other two?"

He was a bit more hesitant in answering this time around, purposefully avoiding Namjoon's gaze. He didn't really want the human to know about the fighting. People at the hospital treat him with such pity and caution- except for Ms. Suzy. He didn't want to look weak to Namjoon, who already disliked him. He didn't know why this particular human's approval was so important to him, but it was and he couldn't change that. He tried to ignore the fact that the human was there at all so he could simply try to talk to Jin as if it were just the two of them. "Youngbae-hyung is.. he's like me." There, that didn't give anything away. "And Jiyong-sshi is his mas- his owner."

Namjoon knew, though. Namjoon knew that Jiyong was the person that Hoseok had mentioned the previous day that they would be meeting this afternoon during his lunch break. He couldn't help but wonder what they even say to a hybrid who has been kept away from the modern world since birth and knows virtually nothing about how to behave around others. 'hey so your life is a lie, here's a pair of shoes now go be good'? He couldn't imagine.

On the other hand, Jin was very pleased with the way the younger corrected himself and referred to the human as an owner rather than a master, and he let it show with his big stupid grin. "I'm so happy for you. How come you call Youngbae your hyung but not me?" he asked with a small laugh.

The younger looked up at Jin with big puppy dog eyes. "Am I allowed to?"

"Well of course, we're friends, right?"

The younger had a small shy smile on his face and Jin noticed his tail sway once behind him before he controlled himself and willed it to stay still. "Yes. You are my first friend, hyung."

Jin had to fight every fiber of his being to not let out a squeal and jump up and down in excitement and overwhelming amounts of love and happiness. He did, however, let out a prolonged "Awwwwww" that had the younger's cheeks flaring up in shades of pink. "You are so cute, you know that?"

Even Namjoon had to admit that that was one of the cutest thing he'd ever seen. He himself was sporting his own smile at this point, despite the awkward relationship between the two of them. Either way, he still had to get over to the other wing of the hospital for his internship. "And on that ing adorable note, I'm going to get to work. Have fun you two, see you this afternoon."

"Bye Namjoonie," Jin said, laughing quietly when his owner ruffled his hair before leaving.

Once the door closed behind the human, the younger hybrid's shoulders slumped a little bit. "Hyung, I don't think he likes me very much..."

"What are you talking about? He just called you adorable!"

The younger's head cocked to the side. "Does that mean he likes me?" he asked, genuinely curious about the correlation between the two comments.

"Well it's a pretty good indicator," Jin replied, resisting the urge to tell him that he liked him well enough to consider adoption. But he had to remind himself that he wasn't going to let that slip yet until he knew for certain. This kid had been through a lot and he didn't need another letdown. He'd have to talk to Namjoon this aft

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter