Help

Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jiyong entered Youngbae's bedroom and shook him awake while he was still on the line with Jimin.

The older hybrid was rather quick to pick up on the urgency of the situation as he was awoken to the noise of his owner's calming voice speaking to someone other than himself. After all, this isn't the first time since joining the rehabilitation program that they were awoken in the middle of the night for a relapsed hybrid. Youngbae had no doubts that it was in regard their newest rescue- Jimin. They hadn't heard from him or his owners (and thankfully not the hospital) for a couple weeks which probably means they haven't experienced a major incident until now.

Youngbae listened quietly to the conversation as he continued waking up, hoping to get more of an idea of the context.

"That's great; it really is, Jimin. I'm very proud of you. Do you know where you are?" the human spoke into the phone as he moved out into the hallway.

Youngbae's ears perked just a bit. He was right in his assuptions, but it was rather rare that they be contacted by the hybrids themselves (and if they did, it was usually Youngbae they called instead of Jiyong), which raised some red flags already. 

"That's fine. What do you see around you?" Jiyong continued gathering information.

There were a few reasons that a recently rehabilitated hybrid might be calling them alone from an unknown location, and none of which were ideal. It was usually the most common explanation--running away--but even that might have more serious undertones. Perhaps the new home wasn't a good fit, or the owners were mistreating him. Maybe he got into an argument or even a physical altercation with any of his new housemates. Maybe he'd been kicked out. There were even a few instances that Youngbae had only heard of where hybrids were recaptured and required much more than the two of them driving out in their minivan to pick them up.

Thankfully, that didn't seem to be the current situation seeing as Jiyong's calm urgency hadn't exceeded the acceptable level. Still, this was rather familiar territory and Youngbae knew the drill here. He was trained to do this after all. Owners are not to be contacted until they have physically met with the hybrid in question to ensure their safety. When faced with situations where rehabilitated hybrids run away, they first must confirm that their new owner is not mistreating or abusing them before returning them to their home. Right now, that just meant that Youngbae could do nothing until Jiyong acquired Jimin's location.

"Is there a school nearby?" the human continued speaking while Youngbae stood and put on some proper clothes. "Do you think you could check? ... Well how about- oh. That's wonderful. What does it say? Can you get any closer? ... Ah, no. I understand. You stay off your foot okay? It was brown and yellow, you say? ... Oh, green, I'm sorry."

Youngbae met his owner in the hallway just as they seemed to be getting somewhere in the telephone conversation. He pulled up his phone's GPS and handed it over to the human silently. Jiyong took it with a tired grin and started typing away with his own phone tucked between his ear and shoulder.

"Yes, I think I know. We will be there in... 15 to 20 minutes," he said, reading the GPS's estimated time with squinted eyes.

As the two are putting on their shoes and walking down to the car, Youngbae is silent as Jiyong continues to assuage the young hybrid's worries and fears over the phone. While the human sets up his phone's bluetooth system in the car so he can drive without having to hold the cellphone to his ear, Youngbae does a quick check of the minivan's trunk to ensure their emergency bag is still there. Once confirming, he hops into the front seat.

"I really want you to stay on the phone while we come get you, is it okay if Youngbae listens in too?" Jiyong says, though the phone is already connected to the car's speaker system. He pulls out of the silent parking lot as he waits for an answer.

"Yes."

It's the first time Youngbae's hearing Jimin's voice tonight, and he almost visibly winces at its roughness. He doesn't remember it sounding like this when they met at the hospital, but then again, Jimin hardly said anything at all to him back then.

"Hi Jimin," Youngbae says to provide proof of his presence. "We're on our way, alright?"

"Y-You really don't- I was ju-"

"Hey, I already told you it's fine," Jiyong interjected. "We're going to come pick you up so we can chat. Just sit tight."

For the rest of the ride, the young hybrid did nothing but hum in response to their questions and it might have worried the two professionals had they not been in this position so many times. No matter how dire the situation, the fact that Jimin had reached out to them was a definite step in the right direction--not to mention a point in their favor when it came to fixing the problem.

Jiyong took the phone off of bluetooth when they pulled into the parking lot of a primary school Youngbae had honestly never seen before. It was really out of the way of the rest of Seoul, and he wondered how Jimin potentially ended up here. 

"So I think I'm here, where did you say you were again?" the human said as he unbuckled and exited the car. Youngbae followed his lead, once again stopping by the trunk to grab the duffel bag and follow his owner.

"Okay, I think I see what you're talking about. Give me just one moment."

Jiyong was leading him towards the playground, and once they were both standing on the soggy mulch, Jiyong brought the phone down from his ear to press against his chest.

"Jimin?" he called quietly into the windy night.

Youngbae registered a thump inside of the playground equipment and located the hiding hybrid with his sense of smell to be above the ground in a the play tunnel (he almost winced at the amount of fear he picked up on). He placed the duffel bag on the ground before he glanced towards Jiyong for his approval to approach, and only moved forward once the human gave him a short nod.

"Hey Jimin," Youngbae spoke softly as he climbed a short ladder to get onto the structure. He faintly heard a small "hi" in response as more thumping occurred from inside the tunnel. Youngbae moved carefully over the slippery playground equipment until he was squatting right outside the dark green tube.

"It's nice to see you again, Jimin. I bet you're cold- would you like a blanket?"

Jimin had his arms wrapped around his torso--though because he was freezing or trying to protect himself, Youngbae wasn't able to say. The younger hybrid looked up slowly before nodding embarrassedly. Youngbae only nodded back before turning his head and mouthing 'blanket' towards his owner. 

While Jiyong fetched the item from their emergency bag, Youngbae turned back towards Jimin. "Are you hurt at all?" he asked delicately. This was basically second nature at this point--the way he can put aside the real issues and focus on taking care of immediate needs for the sake of others' mental health.

"N-No," Jimin whimpered, and Youngbae picked up on the way he was shivering. He glanced behind him to see Jiyong walking over towards them with the blanket before Jimin continued speaking. "It's just... just my foot, but.. that's old, right?"

Jiyong stayed on the ground, but handed the old blanket up through the metal bars of the playground for his hybrid to grab. Youngbae unfolded it and held it out towards Jimin while he responded. "That's fine. Do you think you might need to go to the hospital?"

"No," Jimin quickly replied, shaking his head. He shakily held his hand out to retrieve the blanket as he silently assessed his own physical condition. It's not that bad, right? Clearly there are more important things to deal with right now. Jimin sat forward painfully as he wrapped the stiff blanket around his shoulders. "I- Well, I hurt someone else..." he trailed off, looking down and away from the older hybrid. He was convinced he would see nothing but disappointment and possibly anger in the other's features. "I'm sorry," he added quickly. "I really didn't mean to..."

Youngbae controlled his express

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter