Fear

Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoongi, Hoseok, and Namjoon were waiting outside the apartment building when Jin and Jungkook's cab finally pulled up in front. Time moved quickly as Namjoon and Yoongi helped the hybrids climb out while Hoseok paid the driver and picked up the shopping bags from the backseat.

Hoseok tried to be the voice of reason despite his confusion and worry; he and Namjoon still weren't entirely filled in on what happened since Yoongi had been a little preoccupied on the phone to tell them. Regardless, the human ushered them all inside, trying not to let his heart clench at the sight of Jungkook looking so small- even next to Yoongi.

It was only once everyone was gathered in the living room and Hoseok had already put a kettle on to prepare tea that he found it appropriate to ask the question that had been rattling around his mind ever since only two hybrids exited the cab. Normally, he'd lead with 'what happened?' but that's surprisingly not what worried him the most. "Where's... Where are Tae and Jimin?" Besides, he figured that question would lead to discussion about what happened eventually.

Jin sniffled and scooted over on the sofa so his leg was touching his owner's before answering Hoseok's question. "Jimin ran away and Taehyung's out trying to find him. He won't answer his phone. I'm sorry."

He seemed torn up, and Hoseok wasn't trying to be accusatory. "No, that wasn't- I'm just... trying to understand," the human assured. "Everything's fine," he said, hearing Namjoon repeat that sentiment to Jin in a whisper. He was worried for Taehyung, but he couldn't do anything without any information.

"It was just," Jin began, sighing heavily and glancing over apologetically at Jungkook. "Jungkook was walking behind us all and I wasn't paying attention." He ran a hand down his face in some obvious sign of stress, and then averted his eyes from the youngest who was currently being wrapped in blanket after blanket by his own owner.

"Somebody- I don't know, some random guy- must have grabbed him, I- I'm sorry, I didn't notice." He directed his apology towards Jungkook--who had clearly checked out of the conversation in his quest for comfort--and Yoongi--who was eager to provide that comfort. Yoongi's eyes softened even more at the eldest hybrid's apology, and opened his mouth to assure him that he wasn't to blame, but Jin continued. "Jimin- he- Jimin saved him. He tracked him and fought the guy off, but I think he got scared after that, because he just... ran. I asked Taehyung to follow him to see if he could find him, but I haven't heard from either of them."

Namjoon shot a look at Hoseok. "Could you maybe try to get in contact with Taehyung? Or Jimin? Maybe see if the police can help us track him if you can't get in touch with them..." Hoseok nodded shakily and moved to the kitchen while Namjoon crossed the room to get to the other pair. He knelt down, and Jin recognized his 'doctor' face. It was all-business.

"Jungkookie, are you hurt?" he asked gently.

The hybrid looked up from his blankets and shook his head.

"Okay. Did he hit you on the head?" He knew that the only way no one would have noticed his absence was if he was prohibited from screaming somehow, but it would seem patronizing to ask directly. "Anything."

Jungkook shook his head again, seemingly not keen on talking at the moment.

He reached a hand up to wipe at his sniffling nose and Namjoon caught sight of his bloody claws still drawn, which was a sign that he still felt unsafe and threatened. He took a moment to blink slowly. "Let's clean your hand, okay?" He turned back towards the other sofa to see if anyone would be up to fetching the first aid kit and Jin hopped up--eager to help and understanding that look instantly. 

Yoongi hadn't stopped petting Jungkook's hair since they sat down, and it seemed to calm him down in the time it took Jin to return with the kit.

"Is there anything I can do?" the hybrid asked cautiously, switching his weight from foot to foot anxiously behind Namjoon. The human had begun cleaning the blood from Jungkook's claws with disinfectant when Jin spoke up. Namjoon looked up at him sympathetically from where he was kneeling in front of the sofa. 

"If... If you think you can, I think we need to report the attack to the police. I don't know if you got the street or-"

"I already did that," Jin insisted. "In the cab."

"Good, good," Namjoon replied distractedly, wishing he had the presence of mind to give his full attention to his clearly shaken hybrid, but he had to make sure Jungkook wasn't hurt somehow that wasn't visible to them. "I think Hoseok would really benefit from your help right now." Namjoon took a deep breath while Jin hurriedly turned around and rushed to the kitchen to offer his services. "Now be honest," Namjoon directed to the youngest again. "Do we need to take you to a hospital?"

"No," Jungkook whined, pulling his now clean hands away from the human. "He just did... like, in the movies," he said awkwardly, miming the covering his mouth.

"Oh," Namjoon said conclusively. "He tried to drug you then. I'm going to ask you a few questions, okay?"

Yoongi slipped his arm around Jungkook's shoulders and tightened his grip. The young hybrid sat up straighter and took a deep breath.

"I know this may seem silly, but you know what the day is, right?"

"It's the day after Christmas."

"Okay good. Do you feel sick to your stomach?"

"Yeah, but it's not so bad anymore. My hands just won't stop shaking." Yoongi tutted softly in sympathy and kissed the knotted hair on the side of Jungkook's head. "It was- I don't know. It felt really bad, but it's better now."

"What was bad about it?" Namjoon asked for clarification.

"I tried to- tried to hold my breath, I promise," Jungkook insisted. "But it was too much and I was..." he didn't have to say the word scared for everyone to understand. "And then I couldn't feel my hands and I couldn't stand right."

Namjoon nodded slowly. "Okay. Okay, you'll be fine, I promise."

"I- I know, I already feel okay."

"Did he- I don't know. Did he say anything?" the human pushed, trying to get information on how or why this happened.

"No, I- well, I don't know. I don't think so. I couldn't- or I wasn't-"

Yoongi shushed him quietly. "You're fine. Don't worry," he assured the hybrid, who seemed a bit panicky at his inability to answer the question. "There was a lot going on. It's fine if you don't remember everything." Jungkook nodded at his owner's words, letting them sink in. In the quietness that overtook the three, Namjoon was able to pick up raised voices from the kitchen now.

As he went to investigate, Yoongi nudged Jungkook gently. "You okay, kid?" Jungkook nodded. He tucked his head underneath his owner's chin in a rare attempt at cuddling. "Do you want to go to bed maybe?" the human suggested, wishing there was more he could do. 

"No, I- well, I want to wait for hyung."

"Hyung?" Yoongi asked for clarification. Did he need to call Namjoon back into the room?

"Jimin-hyung."

Yoongi didn't let the younger see his surprise. He couldn't believe he'd been so caught up in Jungkook that he completely forgot that he had been saved bravely by their newest addition, who was currently completely MIA. He was also surprised at Jungkook's use of the honorific to refer to the other hybrid, but was understanding of it. "Okay. Do you want some water? Food? Head-scratches?" he asked cutely--a rarity if nothing else.

"No. Just cuddles."

 

"Hobi-hyung, I'm really sorry," Taehyung whimpered into his phone. "I completely lost his trail. It's- It's cold and I can't feel my nose anymore," he pouted, feeling nothing short of useless.

"Hey, quit your worrying. Just tell me where you are and I'll come pick you up. , I'm just glad you're okay. I'll send Namjoonie out with posters or something."

"Should we tell the cops? Will they come out and look for him?" Taehyung huffed, rubbing his gloved hand against his frozen nose as he made his way towards the nearest main road. 

"Not until he's been declared officially missing," Hoseok explained. "Jin and I already tried, but we gave them his description anyway just in case someone catches him on patrol. Look, don't worry about it. I promise we'll find him by tomorrow. Now, where are you? I'm already on my way to the car."

Taehyung squinted his eyes at the street signs as he stilled beneath a streetlamp. "I'm at the corner of 12th and Main?" he replied, unsure if that could possibly be right. There's no way he's covered that much distance on foot.

"Damn," Hoseok commented. "Alright I'm on my way with Namjoon-hyung."

"How's... How's Jungkookie?" was Taehyung's next question. He was truly worried for everybody- Jungkook must be terrified, Jin is

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter