=5=

Conflicted Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hey ^^  I actually wanted to update this together with my other fic, but then I realised that it's been a while since I last updated this, and I didn't want to make you wait any longer ^^

Hope you like this chapter :) comments are appreciated! Tell me your thoughts and don't be too shy! ^^

 

Also, a big thank you to the new voters!! :3

Thanks to:

Maron-X, MinnieBabe, Hyukklove, Poucelina, LilDucky, BlueCactus, SeboLove, Peony00

Pabble, PinkPiggy, X_Steph_, BlueSoul, Sonixx, HyukjaesQueen, HaeNoona, Hyukilicious

Floralyss, sapphireblue940421, syunah, alpalca_exo2, EFLhae, Lotus08, LoveNemoHae

Zhoumilove, Vulpixx, Onizuka, KawaiiMin, XiaoLong11, Mephisto, Mimi08, SarangKyuu

T0t0r0, MinimiX, BlueMorpho, Chinchi, Miiraa, Hamlet92, 861015, LongLiving, layan987, Noshin08

 

Absent-mindedly, he was stirring his cereals with the spoon, soon turning it into mash. He didn’t only have not the strength to eat, but he also had no real appetite. He tried to stifle a yawn, but his fatigue won over him. Four hours of sleep definitely hadn’t been enough, and it was probably visible. He felt like and as he had glanced into the mirror, he knew that he also looked the part. He tried hard to fight it, but his eyelids eventually fell shut. He wouldn’t be surprised if he fell asleep at the table.

 

“Good morning,” his mother greeted him as she entered the kitchen. As her eyes then landed on him, she stopped in her tracks and eyed him. Not saying anything, she walked to the cupboard and took out a cup, which she filled with the rest of the brewed coffee. His father had already left for work earlier this morning.

 

Donghae took a spoonful of his cereals, which now more resembled a pap, but he grimaced. He  swallowed, but decided to eat no more. He put the spoon into the bowl, which he then moved away from himself. He would grab something at the bakery on his way to university.

 

“Is something wrong?” his mother finally decided to break the silence between them.

“No. Everything is fine,” Donghae mumbled. “I just don’t feel too well today.”

He got up and dumped the bowl’s content into the waste bin. Then he walked to the sink to wash it. His mother took a gulp of her coffee, eyeing him over the rim of the cup.

 

“About that upcoming test,” his mother said, and Donghae hummed. “I hope you started preparing yourself for it.”

He cursed mentally, then he said “Of course I did. You don’t have to worry about that.”

A lie. He had lied to his mother for the first time ever. He had never told a lie to his parents, he had never dared to. Instead of feeling bad or having pangs of conscience, he actually felt good. In truth, he hadn’t even touched a book. He had completely forgotten about the test. The entire week, he had had other things on his mind. Usually, he would have already been prepared by now.

 

His mother gave him a warning look, and spoke “You seem a bit zoned out these days. I hope you’re aware that the last year of university isn’t a piece of cake. I want you to remain focused and not lose sight of your aims.”

Donghae needed to refrain himself from asking whose aims she was talking about, his or hers. Instead, he nodded, and repeated “I told you not to worry.”

 

He mumbled that he had to go and he headed for the door. His mother, however, stopped him once again.

“And Donghae,” she said, and he looked over his shoulder at her. “Yoona’s parents invited us for dinner on Saturday. So don’t plan anything, alright?”

 

Donghae simply hummed in response and left, heading upstairs to his room to get his backpack. He was in urgent need of some fresh air. Once he had grabbed his stuff, he rushed out of the house. He took a long deep breath, filling his lungs with the fresh autumn air, and then he exhaled again. He felt weird, different than usual. For the first time ever, he felt the need to shout, to yell at people and tell them not to tell him what to do.

 

On his way to university, Donghae thought back at his experience at the fair. He thought about the old woman. She had told him he would have a hard time accepting the changes and that he would need to make decisions, important ones. Now he finally understood what she had meant. The decision involved choosing to change something about his life or to continue the pathetic one he was currently leading.

 

He wanted to change something, but at the same time he was afraid. 

 

At university, his mood didn’t get any better. If anything, it got worse. He wasn’t even paying attention during the lecture, but he just stared straight ahead into the distant. The teacher’s voice was muffled and all he could hear were his own thoughts. 

Until now, he had never really thought about his life. Only now he realised that it wasn’t the way he wished it to be. He had no freedom, even though his parents made it appear as if he did. His opinion didn’t count at all. 

 

“So are you going to tell me what’s wrong?” Sungmin finally decided to ask, interrupting his train of thoughts.

Since they had stepped into the auditorium they hadn’t spoken a word. Sungmin, however, clearly noticed that something was wrong with his friend. He really seemed deep in thoughts which was very unlike him.

“I’m just tired,” Donghae mumbled, and he yawned again. “Didn’t sleep much.”

“You really don’t waste any time to study hard, huh?” Sungmin commented, and he sighed.

 

“Actually, I haven’t even started yet,” Donghae admitted. His friend looked at him, eyes widened in surprise. This was indeed very unlike him.

“Then why are you so tired?” Sungmin inquired. He, too, didn’t pay attention to the teacher anymore.

 

Donghae chewed on his bottom lip, thinking for a few seconds. He decided to tell him the truth.

 

“I was with Hyukjae,” he eventually said.

The shock was clearly visible in Sungmin’s face as he stared wide-eyed at his friend, his mouth hanging open. Donghae shrugged and he looked at Sungmin, waiting for him to retort something, but the latter seemed too speechless.

“Just how?” Sungmin managed to ask, and he shook his head in disbelief. “Something over a week ago, you wanted to scratch his eyes out for being an to you. And now you’re saying you hang out with him?”

 

“I don’t know, it just happened,” Donghae explained to him. “He showed up, saying he wanted to hang out. Of course I remained careful after that incident. There’s something about him which intrigues me, and no matter how much I try to fight it, I can’t seem able to escape him. I just feel that there’s more behind his wild attitude.”

 

Sungmin leaned back in his seat, and he said “He surely isn’t a bad person. You both just didn’t hit it off during your first meeting. Sometimes looks are deceiving. And who knows, maybe you’ll become great friends.”

Donghae wasn’t sure what was coming his way, but he decided just to see and let it happen. 

“My parents,” he then said. “I know exactly what they’re going to say if they ever see him. I can already hear their words in my head.”

 

Sungmin sighed again, shaking his head, and he told him “What they don’t know won’t hurt them. And besides, I know your parents want the best for you, but this is starting to get ridiculous. I bet they wouldn’t want you to hang out with me if I didn’t study law just like you. Seriously, Donghae, you have to live a little. And they don’t have a say when it comes to you choosing your friends.”

 

“I thought the same, but they always find a reason to take something away from me,” Donghae retorted, and he sighed. “But you’re right. If they don’t know about it nothing can go wrong.”

 

Sungmin nodded and he offered his friend a small smile. Donghae, however, frowned again.

 

“And this weekend we’re going to Yoona’s place,” he explained. “Her parents invited us over for dinner.”

“The clock is ticking, Donghae,” Sungmin reminded him. “If you wait too long it will be too late. You have to talk to your parents about it. I mean, they can’t force you.”

“I wanted to say something,” he then said. “But every time we got interrupted before I could even address the issue.”

“And let me guess, the other times, as soon as you father looked at you, you didn’t even dare to say something. Like usual.”

Donghae lowered his gaze at his friend’s words. He was right. That was exactly what he had been doing. He had never had the courage to say something to his parents. However, even if he did, he would give in and listen to them anyway. It was a very intricate situation. He wanted to change something, but he just couldn’t pull it off. It was as if there was an invisible boundary he couldn’t cross.

 

 

Somehow he had managed to endure the rather torturous day at university and it was time for him to go home. However, knowing what was expecting him and the fact that he had to study, he didn’t feel like going home just yet. The only time he could do whatever he wanted was when he wasn’t at home. 

 

Aimlessly, he was wandering around in town. He didn’t know what to do or where to go, but anything was better than being captured by those four bedroom walls. He stopped walking for a moment, taking his time to observe the people who rushed past him in a hurry. Then a certain thought crossed his mind, something he would never have even considered.

 

He pulled out his phone and he stared at it for some time. There was someone he could call. He let out a sigh and he shook his head. He wanted to put his phone away, but he still hesitated. He shook his head again, but this time he dialled a number. As it started ringing, his heartbea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter