Always

Fly with Me?

"Are you really sure about this?". 

"I was so sure before but now that I'm about to do this, I don't know. Oh my gosh now I'm scared!"

It had always been one of the things she wanted to try. She loved a good adventure. And this one was definitely on top of her good adventures to do list. At first glance, you wouldn't think that she was capable of doing such things. She was a brave soul indeed, many would say and that was why Jessica Jung found herself inside a helicopter that is about to kick her off. 

Well technically she had to jump off, she paid for a one time skydiving experience, well because- just because.  

"If you don't want to do this anymore just say so. But you won't get any refund." The officiating personnel told her. 

"No. I'm not backing out. I will do this. I want to do this."


"Someday I will fly like those birds and I will be able to touch the clouds and taste them. I bet they'd taste like cotton candy." A little girl said to her friend while looking at the sky. "Would you want to fly with me, Jessi?"

"Are you dumb Tiffany? There is no way that clouds taste like cotton candy. And no, I don't want to fly?"

"I'm not dumb. And how would you know? You've never tasted clouds before. Why not Jessi? Flying is fun. Oh, you are afraid of heights aren't you Jessi?" Tiffany, the little girl who was still looking at the sky said with a smug smile. "Jessi's a scardy cat."

"Knock it off Fany. I am not"


Jessica remembered that conversation. She had never forgotten really. In fact because of that innocent teasing, she started to think that maybe she was indeed scared. Of heights? Maybe not. But of falling. Ah yes, of falling. 


She learnt in school the concept of gravity. Oh how she dreaded Physics. She was good in that subject actually, but she was not that interested. She'd rather sleep in the library than study it. But she was really fascinated by so many things that only physics could explain. Though, she would never admit that. 

"There is this invisible force that pulls down everything on earth." Her professor said. And she had heard someone (oh how she'd recognize that voice any day) "Jessi, I still want to fly though." Tiffany pouted. 


"Okay, ready when you are."

This is it. 

She was flying. No, she was falling. She was so close to the clouds that if she would open , she would taste it. But she did not. She was so mesmerized by the view below her that she was not able to do anything but to admire it. 

She could hear her heart beat. Weird, because the wind made it impossible to hear anything rather than the wind itself but Jessica heard it beat loud and clear. She felt the adrenaline kicking in. It felt right. 

She did not want this to end. 

Jessica never liked the idea of flying. She was reluctant to the fact that there is no boundary that would stop her from doing so. That the wind would take her to places and she couldn't do anything about it. She was afraid that the sky was big enough to lose her. 

But falling, oh how she loved falling. The parachute started to open and that signaled her that she's close to the ground. For her, falling is better than flying in many ways. She could name a lot of reasons. But the best one was that in falling she knew that someone was willing to wait for her to descend and catch her if she needed to. And that person welcomed her with open arms when she, body shaking and breath raged, landed foot on the ground. 

"You're so brave up there, Jessi."

"Tiff, remember when I said I don't want to fly with you. Well, I still don't but I would be glad if you could stay here every time I fall."