If I Was Your Boyfriend

The Most Entrancing Sight of All

A giggle from behind distracted Yixing as he stood staring down at the glass case in front of him.

"Are they shopping for rings?" He heard a female voice whisper nosily.

More than used to the scrutiny that came with being a gay male in South Korea, Yixing ignored the woman's curiosity and inched closer to Chanyeol. He slid his hand down his lover's arm to entwine their fingers, and wrapped the other around Chanyeol's waist so he could press his cheek for comfort against Chanyeol's shoulder but still peek out at the display.

"Do you think they're boyfriends?" Another voice asked in reply, likely the friend of the first woman who'd showed such interest in Yixing and Chanyeol's private lives. "Oh my god! Are they getting married?!" The woman nearly shrieked and Yixing had to resist the urge to cover his ears to block the noise—even if they weren't being polite, he, at least would still try to be.

Chanyeol pointed at a particular ring he'd noticed while Yixing had been distracted, pulling his Chinese lover's attention back to the task at hand. Yes, they were going to get married—maybe not legally, yet, but the rings were more for their benefit than anyone else's.

A suddenly thought struck Yixing, though, and he froze with one hand outstretched over the display case and the other still around Chanyeol. The women behind them—the nosey and obnoxious ones—had called him and Chanyeol boyfriends. That made sense to Yixing once he thought about it, but in reality he didn't think he'd ever considered Chanyeol his boyfriend.

Not really, anyway. Of course, that didn't mean they weren't exclusive or Yixing loved Chanyeol any less, it's just that his description for the two of them had always been "In a dating relationship." Since they weren't legally getting married, they'd kind of skipped over the whole engaged phase that most couples experienced; but even in the time between Chanyeol surprising him one day with a "Let's get married" and their small ceremony in about a month, Yixing hadn't thought of his lover as his fiancée either.

Again, he and Chanyeol were "In an engaged relationship." From that logic, Yixing wasn't sure if he'd be referring to Chanyeol as his husband either. He wanted to, obviously—that was the whole point of the private ceremony and the rings—but history suggested that Yixing would probably just classify them as the logical next step: "In a marriage relationship."

Chanyeol was used to these moments where Yixing's attention disappeared; they were part of life with the Chinese male and Chanyeol loved them as dearly as he did everything else about Yixing. He rubbed soothing circles into his lover's back, trying to return Yixing to the present and the task at hand. "I like this set," Chanyeol suggested gently as he guided Yixing's hand so they could point together at the two Chanyeol had selected. He felt Yixing nod against his shoulder, and was glad that this was a moment in which Yixing was finally present because Chanyeol wanted to remember this twenty years from now when they were older and grayer but still very much in love.

That's the future he imagined for Yixing and himself. One full of happiness and teamwork, and overcoming problems together.

"Are we boyfriends?" Yixing blurted out in a sudden panic, startling Chanyeol out of his reverie of hopes for their future and earning a cheerful chuckle in response.

"I certainly hope so," Chanyeol whispered against Yixing's hair, placing a kiss on the top of his lover's war before speaking again. "Or else, why would you be marrying me?"

Yixing didn't need to contemplate labels to know his guy answer to that one. He turned so he could look up into Chanyeol's face and replied confidently, "Because I love you." He moved to kiss Chanyeol but paused right before he reached his lover's lips as another thought struck him. "But do we have to be boyfriends to get married?"

"Well we're certainly not Facebook official, if that's what you mean." Chanyeol was amused as he started where Yixing left off and pecked his lover sweetly before returning to the rings. "And frankly, love," he added as he called over the assistant to retrieve their selected ring set from the display, "I don't care what you want to call us as long as we can still be whatever that is, well, forever."

He turned back to Yixing with a smile and noticed his lover's face was practically glowing. "I think I can be okay with the label of "In a forever relationship" if you can." Yixing returned Chanyeol's smile with his dimples in full force and tiptoed up to peck his lover once more as the assistant approached them.

"Aw, cute," he heard from behind as his finger was measured and he waited while Chanyeol's was too. "They're totally boyfriends."