New job

Sleeping beauty

“What is this? A castle?” I mumbled under my breath as I stared at the mansion in front of me, my mouth wide agape at its size.

“Pardon?” My head snapped back to Mr. Jung and I shook my head.

“It’s nothing sir.” I smiled as he led me into his mansion. I glanced around the place and was awe stuck by its luxuriousness. It was extremely spacious and everything in the mansion screamed of expensive. I walked cautiously behind my boss with my hands behind my back. I could go bankrupt if I break anything in here.

“Amber.” He halted in front of a door and turned to face me.

“Y-yes sir?” I looked up at him nervously.

“Do you know why I hired you for this job?” He asked.

“B-because…” I scratched my head and frowned. “I don’t know sir.”

“Because you’re 19 years old.” I looked at him with a puzzled face. That is exactly why I don’t understand why he hired me. I mean, I am just a fresh graduate from high school looking for a decent job…  

“I don’t understand sir.” I said looking down at the expensive looking tiles.

“My daughter is also 19 years old.” My head snapped back up and I looked at him with my widened eyes. I didn’t expect him to have a nineteen-year-old daughter. I mean, he looks like he’s still in his thirties. “I want you to be friends with her, and take care of her.” He said softly. He wants me to be a babysitter?

“O-okay sir.”

“Good.” He said before turning around facing the door. He placed his hand on the door knob before turning it slowly. My heart raced and I fidgeted nervously. We stepped inside the huge room quietly and I glanced around. Where is his daughter? My eyes stopped on the huge bed in the centre of the room. There is a bump on the bed and I supposed his daughter is still sleeping.

“Sir, should we come back later?” I whispered to him. He shook his head and beckoned me to sit on one of the sofas in the room. He sat across me and crossed his legs. I can’t help but glanced at the bed once in a while.

“Amber?”

“Y-yes sir.” I quickly covered my mouth when I realized I’ve spoken too loudly. I glanced at the bed and is relief to find his daughter undistracted.

“Don’t worry.” Mr Jung said. “She won’t wake up that easily anyway.”

“E-eh?” I looked at him with a brow raised.

“My daughter has kleine levin syndrome.” He said calmly.

“W-what? Calvin Klein syndrome?” He looked at me with an amused expression.

“Kleine Levin, also known as sleeping beauty syndrome.” He elaborated clearly. I blushed and stared at the floor.

“Oh… Wait, what’s that?”

“It is a sleep disorder. She can fall asleep anytime and anywhere without warning.” He paused for me to register everything in. “And she can sleep up to days, weeks and even months.”

“What?!” I looked at my boss with my mouth agape in shock.

“That’s not the worst. She might not remember what happened when she was conscious, or she might act entirely out of character, or she might be extremely hungry, or she might even have….”

“Even have?”

“Extreme ual urges.” I choke on my own saliva and coughed. “I want to hire someone who can take care of her, tolerate her change of behaviour and most importantly accompany her.” Mr. Jung eyed me seriously. “Are you willing to take this job, Amber?” I gulped and clenched my fist. Am I willing to take this troublesome job? I have no other choice to be honest. My studies are bad and I’m so poor I can’t even afford to go to colleges. And my mother and little sister…. I have to take care of them.

“Yes.” I said with determination. “I am willing to take care of your daughter.”

“Good.” Mr. Jung chuckled and patted my shoulder. “You sounded a lot like you’re going to marry my daughter.”

“M-marry?” My face turned a shade of red and he laughed.

“Just kidding kiddo.” I sighed. “But I have one more thing to ask from you.”

“What is it sir?”

“Can you move in with her? Into her room I mean.” He asked with a smile.

“What?!” I exclaimed and collapsed backwards.

“I’ll move in an extra bed. This way it’ll be easy for you to know when she’s awake.”

“B-but s-sir, this i-is…”

“Amber.” He eyed me sternly and I sighed.

“Yes sir.”

“Good.” Geez, what have I gotten myself into…