Ch2: Coping and Comforting

Disappearing

I'm sorry that I updated late, but I will upload another bonus chapter today as well. The bonus chapter is very short.


We tried to cope. Honestly, we did. But the wound was too raw, too sudden.

We had known that one of us may disappear one day, like the rest of the world. But we never knew that all of a sudden, 3 of us would disappear, together.

The same grief that swallowed us before, when our parents disappeared had resurfaced again. Every day, we would hold hands, keep each other in sight, and huddle and sleep together, for fear that one of us would disappear without the other. We were scared for the first time in years. We hoped that if we disappeared, we would at least disappear together.

Every day, I tried to hold in my tears that were threatening to spill. Sometimes a drop or two would spill out, but I disguised this with a yawn, hoping no one would notice. But someone did notice. He noticed, Alex noticed, I saw it in his eyes. But he didn’t say anything, so I was thankful for that.

But the more I held my tears back, the more the grief and sadness built up, so one night, while we were trying to sleep, I struggled to hold my tears back. It must have been very obvious, because even in the dark, Alex noticed. Perhaps I was shaking too much.

‘It’s alright. Let it all out. I’m here for you.’

And I cried. I cried so much, in his arms that his shirt was probably damp. I felt all the grief, sadness and pain wash out of me.

I think Alex also cried a bit, since I think I felt some of his tears on my back. But I wasn’t sure because I was crying so much.

Eventually, I fell asleep, being exhausted from the crying.

 

The next morning, I woke up to see no one on the bed beside me. Fear washed over me. I hurriedly dressed and rushed around the house trying to find him. I found him in the kitchen and rushed over to hug him. He was shocked but hugged me back.

‘Feeling better?’ he asked.

‘Yeah. Thanks.’

‘No worries, we have to look out for each other now, after all…….’ He sighed.

‘Yeah. I know.’ We remained silent for a while. ‘But you sure gave me a shock when you weren’t in the room today.’

‘I noticed. Sorry. I just thought that making your favourite breakfast dish would cheer you up a bit. ’

‘It alright, just don’t do it next time.’ I paused, processing what he had said. ‘Wait. Did you just say that you made my favourite brekkie?’

‘Yep’ he said, popping the ‘p’.

‘Where is it?’ I asked, immediately, my eyes shining.

He laughed. ‘Just sit. One chef’s special breakfast, coming right up!’

I smiled. We were back to normal again. Our cheerful selves, cherishing every moment, again.


I am very busy these days with 5 assignment due over the course of 2 - 3 weeks, and therefore will not be able to upload. I am also going to Europe in the school holidays, and will not be updating. I will try to update before going to Europe, but this will not be definite.

Thank you for your support and I hope you will understand.