Solo Yifan

A Trader Joe: Bits & Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I hope you enjoy this! See the end for more author notes.

Word Count: 7.9k

The first time Yifan was alone with the boys was four months into his and Joonmyun’s relationship. It was a week before Christmas and the boys couldn’t be more excited. Not only was it Christmas so they’d get gifts but they’d be out of school until the next year, after the twin’s fourth birthday. Joonmyun was excited because this would be the first time he was spending Christmas with Yifan. Yifan was excited because this was the first time he was actually looking forward to spending Christmas in Korea. He always had the option to fly to Canada to spend the holidays with his family but he always had to be at work the day right after Christmas so it was never worth the hassle. It wasn’t like he never saw his family but it just kind of spending Christmas by yourself.

Joonmyun had jumped at the chance to invite Yifan to spend Christmas with him and his family. They had only been dating for 4 months but not inviting him seemed wrong and he knew that not having Yifan there would be weird considering he spent at least 4 days a week with the man, him staying the night at least one of those days. His parents would be coming to stay at the house as well as Jongdae and Baekhyun and this time Yifan would be in the mix too.

The last official day before winter break was an exciting one for everyone. Yifan had the next week off, Joonmyun had the next month off, and the boys had the next 3 weeks off of school. Yifan was hanging around Joonmyun’s house while the younger male was finishing his last editing project before the break, waiting for the time until the boys would get home from school.

“You sure there’s nothing I can help you with?” Yifan asked, looking up from where he was scrolling through his phone. They were sitting in Joonmyun’s office on the couch, Joonmyun’s laptop perched on his lap and Yifan’s arm tossed across his shoulders.  Joonmyun would usually be sitting behind his desk but since Yifan was there he’d thought it’d be nice to sit next to him.

“I told you, you should take a nap. The boys will be all riled up when they get home,” Joonmyun replied.

Yifan shook his head, “It wouldn’t be fair for me to nap when you aren’t able to.”

Joonmyun looked up from his laptop and smiled thoughtfully at the taller male. He couldn’t believe how sweet his boyfriend was. “I won’t mind, really! It’d make me feel better because I know how boring it is to sit here and watch me work.”

Yifan grinned, “it’s not boring, I like watching you.”

Joonmyun blushed at that, of course, and playfully pushed Yifan on the shoulder. “Whatever, I need to finish this.”

Yifan placed as kiss on the side of Joonmyun’s head and then went back to scrolling through his phone.

---

The two stayed like that for the better part of two hours and Yifan was starting to get restless. It first started with a hand trailing down Joonmyun’s back, just a soft touch at first, a ghost of fingertips down his spine. Then his hands made their way into Joonmyun’s hair at his nape, running his fingers through the short, dark strands. Then came the kisses. They started out innocent enough. A small peck on Joonmyun’s cheek. Then his neck. Then the place under his ear that connected his jaw to his neck. Once he reached the tiny patch of skin on his chest that was exposed by his t-shirt, Joonmyun decided to in.

“Yifan-ah,” he cleared his throat. He saved the document he was working on and then placed his laptop on the ground next to his feet. “I thought you wouldn’t get bored?”

Yifan pulled Joonmyun onto his lap and grinned up at him. “I lied.” He started trailing kisses down Joonmyun’s jaw, stopping once he reached the younger male’s ear. He bit on it softly which caused Joonmyun to let out a shaky breath. His hands traveled down the other’s chest, stopping when it reached his hips.

“I swear you’re worse than the boys,” was the last thing Joonmyun said before he connected their lips.

---

Joonmyun and Yifan’s activities ending up lasting longer than Joonmyun anticipated and as a result he ended up freaking because he wouldn’t be able to finish his editing in time to pick the boys up from school and he definitely wouldn’t be able to get it done once they got home since he had so much to do before the winter concert that’d be taking place that night.

“I need to call Jongdae, maybe he can go get them,” Joonmyun murmured to himself, lightly pushing Yifan away so he could pick up his phone to call his brother. As he lifted the phone to his ear, he frowned. “His phone’s off. Maybe I should try Baek.”

“Joonmyun,” Yifan started, but Joonmyun paid him no attention, lifting his phone back to his ear.

“His phone is off too?” Joonmyun let out a frustrated sigh, “maybe I should try Soo.”

“Joon,” Yifan tried again, reaching to stop the other man from dialing Kyungsoo’s number. “Didn’t you mention that the four of them all had some final exam thing today?” Baekhyun, Jongdae, Chanyeol, and Kyungsoo were all in their final year of grad school. The four of them had been hauled up in their house for the past two weeks studying for their final exam ever, the exam that would determinate if they would graduate or not.

“Oh , you’re right.” Joonmyun’s frown set deeper onto his face, his eyebrows furrowing as he tried to think of a solution. Yifan smiled slightly at how adorable his boyfriend was. “I guess I can just not finish this, maybe my parents will make it here in enough time to finish this before we have to leave for the concert, if I don’t finish I’ll just stay up all night, I just have to have it in by 4am, I can get it done.” He rambled on, reaching down to close his laptop so he could make his way to the school.

“Joon,” Yifan started again, reaching up a hand to halt his movements.

“But then I won’t have enough time to get my parents from the airport,” his parents had been overseas on a business trip. “Maybe Dae will be done by then and he can get them. Or they can get a cab…”

“Kim Joonmyun,” Yifan tried again, trapping Joonmyun’s cheeks between his hands so the smaller man could stop freaking out for 5 seconds. “Did you forget that I was here?”

Joonmyun’s cheeks heated up under Yifan’s palms. “I didn’t want to burden you with my problems.”

“It wouldn’t be a burden, if I didn’t want to help out, I wouldn’t be here. I’ll go pick up the boys, you stay here and finish your project and then go pick up your parents, I’ll bring them back here and feed them a snack and get them dressed for the concert then we can head to the concert together, okay? Stop stressing.”

“Are you sure? That’s a lot of work.” Joonmyun chewed on his bottom lip nervously.

“I’m sure. I can do it, how hard can picking them up be? And I’ve gotten them bathed and dressed before, it’ll be fine.”

Joonmyun glanced at the clock again, seeing that he really was in no position to refuse. “Okay, I’ll lay out their clothes before I leave to get my parents. I’ll have to call the school and let them know you’re coming to pick them up.”

Yifan smiled at him and placed a kiss on his nose. “Text me the address to the school, okay? Stop worrying so much, it’ll be fine.”

---

Locating the school was easier said than done. Yifan somehow ended up circling around the building four different times before actually finding the place. If anyone asks, Yifan’s going to explain that he was confused between which building was the preschool and elementary school and which was the middle and high school. He doesn’t know how he missed it considering there was a huge colorful playground in the front.  

Luckily, Joonmyun had made him leave 15 minutes early in fear of him not being able to find the place, so when he finally pulled up to the school at 3:10, he had five minutes before the boys would be released from the building. Pulling into the parking lot, he was stopped by a security guard.

“Name and ID please?” The officer bellowed out, walkie in one hand and clipboard in the other.

“Wu Yifan,” Yifan supplied, sitting up a little straighter in his seat. He reached into this wallet to grab his ID.

The officer glanced at Yifan’s ID and then the clipboard in their hand before nodding and asking, “Who are you here to pick up?”

“Kim Zitao, Kim Jongin, and Kim Sehun. Sehun and Jongin are in Miss Yoon’s class and Tao’s in Miss Jang’s.”

The officer nodded again and then checked something off on their clipboard. “Class lets out in 5 minutes, the preschool comes out on the left side at 3:30, and the elementary comes out on the right at 3:20. Just pull up into the circle and stand with the other parents, everything else should be self-explanatory.”

As Yifan drove towards the direction the officer pointed, he heard them say what sounded like the boys names into the walkie.

He pulled up to the circle of the other parent pick up cars and parked, turning the engine off. He glanced up at the circle of moms that were huddled together near the door and found that they were staring at him too. He then realized how strange it looked for an unfamiliar vehicle to be pulling into a school parking lot, especially when there was an unfamiliar man behind the wheel.

He bit his lip and picked up his phone, quickly dialing Joonmyun’s number.

“Hello?” Joonmyun picked up after the second ring, knowing him he was probably waiting for Yifan to call with a problem. “What’s wrong? Did you find the school alright?”

“Everything’s fine,” Yifan reassured, smile adorning his face at hearing Joonmyun’s worried tone. “I found the school alright and I’m parked in a sea of mini-vans.”

Joonmyun let out a relieved sigh, “Okay, good. Did Officer Yang explain to you how everything works?”

“Yeah, they did. I don’t know which parents I should stand with though, can’t I just stay in the car until the boys come out?”

“You could, but the school’s really big on being friendly. You should try to go talk to the other parents. Plus it’ll be easier for the boys to find you, you’ll be towering over all moms so they’ll spot you as soon as they exit.”

“But they’re glaring at me, Joon!” Yifan whined, “They’re going to ask a bunch of questions and I don’t want to taint your name by saying the wrong things.”

Joonmyun’s laugh filled his ear and Yifan smiled. “You’re cute, just go talk to them, they’re not as mean as they look. They know who you are and they’re actually my friends. There’s a couple other dads there as well, Donghae and Kibum, I told you about them, right?”

Yifan glanced up again and noticed that yes, two guys were in the huddle of moms. One of them had blonde hair and was wearing a long burgundy trench coat. The other had his dark brown hair down, soft against his forehead. “Okay. Donghae is the one that works with you, right? I should go stand with him first.”

“Mmhmm, most of the parents I’ve mentioned to you before. Minho and Changmin’s wives are over there and so is Kibum, Taemin’s dad. Liu Wen, the really tall one with the dimples, is Chinese too.”

Yifan bit his lip and then nodded to himself, Joonmyun had mentioned a bunch of the parents at the school to him before. “Alright, I’ll go over there.”

“Good.” Yifan could feel Joonmyun smiling through the phone. “Ah! I texted Kyu that you were there so he might come find you once classes are dismissed. I’ll see you when you get back, okay?”

“Okay, see you.” Yifan hung up the phone.  He hesitatingly stepped out of his car, pulling his gloves on his hands and pulling his coat a bit tighter around himself. He checked the time on his phone 3:15, 5 minutes before Tao was let out. He walked up to the group of people that were staring at him. “Hello,” he bowed slightly. “I’m Wu Yifan.”

There were a few awkward seconds of silence before the group all bursted into laughter.

“You’re cute,” the shortest one said. She had short blonde hair and was wearing a pink baseball cap. “and tall. We don’t like tall ones around here, isn’t that right, Jiae-ah?” As she said that she leaned over and tickled a toddler under her chin. Jiae, Yifan presumed, was held by an equally short woman who had shoulder length khaki hair.

“Yeah, we already have enough tall people here. We need some more shorties so me and Soon Kyu won’t have to kick everyone’s all by ourselves.”

Yifan looked at the two awkwardly, not really knowing what to say as they slipped into comfortable conversation.

“Don’t mind them,” a voice made Yifan turn his head. He was met with the sight of a tall girl with long black hair and a killer smile. “I’m Yuri, Minho’s wife. I’ve heard so much about you, Yifan-ssi.” She reached her hand out which he accepted. “My girls, Jiyeon and Sohyun, are both in the twin’s class.”

“Nice to meet you, Yuri-ssi.” Yifan shook her hand firmly and smiled. “Joonmyun has told me loads about you.”

“Has he mentioned me?” a male voice butted in. It was the blonde man Yifan had noticed earlier. He had piercing, cat like features and the glasses that were on his face were Armani, Yifan noted.

“Of course! You’re Kibum, right? Taemin’s dad?” Yifan asked, reaching a hand out for Kibum to take.

“You’re right,” Kibum pushed away Yifan’s hand and hugged him instead. “The boys have told me so much about you but I’m afraid Joonmyun has told me nothing, so good thing you’re here to answer all my questions.” Kibum grinned evilly at him, and the short haired woman joined him.

“You’re so right, Kibum, I didn’t think of that. All those questions that had Joonmyun blushing we can ask him.”

Yifan gulped and backed away slightly, feeling like he should make a run for it if he was going by the look on their faces.

“Cut it out, guys,” Another voice said, Yifan was sure he was going to get whiplash from the many voices coming from this group. “Hello Yifan, I’m Liu Wen.” The sudden Mandarin surprised Yifan and then he realized that this woman must be who Joonmyun had told him about. And then he noticed the dimples, yep, definitely Liu Wen.

“Hi, nice to meet you” Yifan replied back in Mandarin, sending a relieved smile her way.

“We didn’t formally introduce ourselves, why don’t we do that know, ladies?” The short one holding the toddler said. “I’m Kim Taeyeon. My Jinyounggie is in Tao’s class. This is Jiae, my youngest.” She pointed at the toddler. He waved at the little girl and she smiled back at him, one of her little hands pulling on her own pigtail.

“I’m Lee Soon Kyu, but you won’t call me that if you know what’s good for you.” The short blonde haired one said, grinning at him.

“Ignore her, call her Sunny.” Another tall woman said. She was absolutely gorgeous and had long flowing black hair the cascaded in curls over her shoulders. “I’m Yoona, I’m the mom of the other set of twins in Sehun and Jongin’s class, Yein and Jungkook.”

Yifan nodded, “Ah yes, Joonmyun did mention that Jongin and Sehun’s class had three sets of twins.”

“I’m Donghae,” the only other male said. “Joonmyun, my husband, and I all work at the same company.”

“Nice to meet you, Donghae-ssi,” Yifan accepted the proffered hand. “Whose class are your children in?”

“My Doojoonie and Yoobinnie are both older. Yoobin is in the same class as Kibummie’s Sojin.” The male replied, flipping his hair out of his face. The way the man spoke was much different than his appearance suggested. Yifan was sure the man’s bicep was as big as his head.

“Yes, my Sojin. And my Seunghee is in the same class as Sooyeon’s Hana. But she’s not here today.”

“Sooyeon?” Yifan questioned, “Isn’t that Changmin’s wife?”

Another woman who looked similar to Yoona nodded at that. She was the only one who hadn’t introduced herself yet. “Yes, Sooyeon, or Jessica as she’s better known as, is my unnie. She’s married to Changmin. I’m Soojung. My daughter Sera is in the same class as Tao and my son Daniel is in the same class as the twins.”

“Nice to meet you all,” Yifan said after they had all introduced themselves.

“Now, since introductions are out of the way, it’s time for questions.” Taeyeon said, grinning sinisterly at him. Sunny and Kibum joined and stepped closer to Yifan. It looked a bit like they were about to interrogate him.

“What questions do you have?” Yifan asked tentatively, taking a step back.

“Well,” Sunny started, placing a hand on her hip. “Joonmyun never actually told us where you both met. Let’s start there.”

“We met at the grocery store.” Yifan said easily, smiling fondly at the memory.

“Aww look at him,” Donghae cooed. He reached up and pinched Yifan’s cheeks. “You’re so cute, look at the love in your eyes.”

Yifan blushed slightly at that and cleared his throat. Joonmyun had mentioned that Donghae was motherly since he was the oldest of the group.

Before Yifan could respond, the group’s attention was caught by a group of kids running their way. He glanced at his watch and he realized 5 minutes had passed so the elementary kids were being released. He searched the crowd for Tao and grinned when he caught sight of the boy. He was wearing the coat he had picked out a couple weeks ago when the five of them had gone to the mall.

“Mr. Yifan!!” Tao’s voice broke through the chaos as he came running towards the man, barely halting quick enough to miss running into Yifan’s legs.

“Hey Taozi, did you have a good day?” Yifan reached a hand down to pat at the boys hair.

Tao nodded excitedly, “I did! We didn’t have to do any work today because we had rehearsal for our concert! You’re coming right?”

Yifan nodded in confirmation. “I am, and so are your grandma and grandpa and your uncles too.”

Tao grinned widely at that, showing off the empty space where his front tooth should be. They both looked over at the other people in the group and were met with their eyes on them. “Hi aunties! And uncle Kibum and Donghae.” Tao greeted and gave each of them a hug. 

The adults al

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter