Love? No.

Undeniable Chemistry

Ji Hyo leaned her head over the window as she waits for the others to finish changing and get in the car to start the race. It's as if life was playing a joke on her. Just last night, she was talking about what if she met old foes, thinking that it wouldn't happen because that's just ridiculous for her to meet someone that tore her heart into a thousand pieces again. And although, they may be in the same entertainment industry field but the chances of meeting one another was low. That is what I thought, I guess I was wrong. 

Just then her phone beeped, informing her that someone sent a text message. Ji Hyo-ah, are you okay? A smile broke out on her face, the first smile since those horrifying minutes of the first brief filming of today. Only Jong Kook would know that something was wrong with her, she knew he would know. That's just how Kim Jong Kook is, knowing how his close dongsaengs feel and are on an off day of theirs.

She watches from the corner of her eyes as Jae Suk , Haha, and Ji Hoon walking toward the car with their VJs in tow. It's okay, I'm fine. Just tired. It was a simple enough of a text to let Jong Kook ease his mind a little bit. As much as she would love to share her stories with him, it's something that only she could know. "Oppa, hurry. Jong Kook's Oppa team already left to the first mission." 

Haha laughed as he got into the backseat, sitting next to Ji Hyo. "Jong Kook's team? How come we never assumed to call it Suk Jin's team?" 

"Because it's not," Jae Suk joked. "And it never will be." Ji Hyo and Haha burst out laughing while Ji Hoon stared at the camera in front of him in awe. Taking notice of his nervousness, Jae Suk patted his shoulder. "Ji Hoon-an, it's okay. You'll get used to the variety in no time. Isn't it better that Ji Hyo's in the same team as you? Ease the attention a bit since you two worked together before?" 

Ji Hyo and Ji Hoon caught themselves staring at each other from the rear view mirror. "Yes, it helps a little." In actuality, it probably increased the tension and nervousness he is feeling. "But I haven't seen or talked to her for awhile, it'll take a bit before we become aquaintences again." 

"It's okay, Ji Hyo's nice." Haha said. "Until you make her angry." Haha laughed when Ji Hyo slightly punched his arm.

Ji Hyo stared down at her phone, hiding it from the camera so it wouldn't be seen. She just received another message from Jong Kook. Liar. What did I tell you about lying to your hyung? Pabo. If you didn't want anyone to know, should've been better on lowering your tone. Ji Hyo silently laugh to herself as she reread the message again. Haha looked away from the window and watched as Ji Hyo text back a message to someone. A grin spread across his face as he already knew who it could be. 

. . . 

Jong Kook opened the messenger and stared at Ji Hyo's reply before silently cracking up. Aniyo. How much more can I lower my tone? How about you try and lower your singing voice, Kim Jong Kook-ssi. He looked up his phone to see that Gary missed the exit that they were supposed to take for the first mission location. "Ya, where are you driving? It was suppose to be that exit!" 

"Jinja?" Gary asked bewildered. "Hyung, you were busy on your phone instead of showing me the way!" 

"Why am I the one that has to show you the way when we have the navigation telling us where to go, Gary-ah?!" Jong Kook argued back. He watched as the navigation showed a new route for them. "Drive another mile and take the next exit, okay?" 

Kwang Soo yawned. "Hyung, you've been on your phone since we got on the car." Kwang Soo smiled as he sent wink signals. "Girlfriend?"

Jong Kook pushed Kwang Soo back to his side of the seat. "Shut up, it's nothing like that." 

. . . 

After a few games played, arguments spewing out left and right about who won, jokes said between both teams, and food being eaten - everyone is on their last mission now. Every ounce of energy in them feels as if it was taken by a dark cloud. Everyone arrived at the last location, which was one of the shopping malls. Ji Hyo's team won 2 of the missions so far, earning them the right to choose two bags. Whether the gold is real or not, this is where the results will be at. 

All Ji Hyo could think right now was the fact that within a couple minutes or so, filming will be over and everyone will head toward the closest hotel to stay at for the night. It's already ten at night, she still has a decision to make about the next drama she will be doing. 

"This machine will show if the gold you have is real or not, the one with the highest amount of goodwill win tonight's race." The PD explained. "Jong Kook's team, please place your gold in the machine." 

Jong Kook grabbed the only bag they were able to win throughout the day, pouring the gold contents into the bag as the screen in front of them detect which pieces were the real ones. They were told that the machine would indicate the real pieces and show a number on the screen on the amount of real pieces they have. After a few seconds of anticipation, it showed that his team has twenty-five pieces of actual gold. "Wow!" Jong Kook screamed as his team jumped in joy. 

Jae Suk shakes his head. "We might win, we have two bags!" As instructed, Jae Suk poured all the contents into the machine and turned around to see what the number would be for his team. His eyes widened in shock to see that the number came out to be only ten real pieces of gold. "Ayeeeee!" 

Ji Hyo laughed as she watched the other team start dividing the gold between themselves, ignoring to ease their loss of the game. "One bag was filled with fake gold, right?" When the PD nodded his head, she hit Haha - who choose the last bag before they came here. She knew that there was something off about that bag that he chose. Getting ready to take of for the mic on her as KwangSoo walked over to the center and made a slate sound with his arms. "Good work today, everyone!" She said lastly before walking over to her manager to talk to him. 

Jong Kook and Ji Hoon both turned around to see where she was going. One guy, curious on how she's been and the other guy, wondering if she really is okay today. 

. . . 

"Oppa, I really am not okay with this." Ji Hyo puts on a jacket and took a deep breath. "They really didn't tell you that he was coming?"

Her manager shakes his head. "You know just as well as I do that I am given the least information around here." He exhales as he handed her a water bottle. "I was worried about you all day. How is it that something we talked about last night actually came true like that?"

"Ji Hyo-ah," Jae Suk walked over. "We're all eating dinner. Come on." He waved goodbye to her manager and looked down at Ji Hyo. "Did something happen between you and Ji Hoon-ssi?" 

Ji Hyo halted her steps and looked at Jae Suk. She is someone who wouldn't lie about anything to someone she respects tremendously. Jae Suk has always taken care of her during filming or even outside of it, he is an Oppa that she very much hates lying to. But with no choices, she smiles and shook her head. "It's nothing, Oppa. You know how it's awkward after not meeting for a long time?"

He gave her a long look, watching her expression to see if she really is okay. "Okay. But if there is anything wrong or something you want to tell me, you will?"

She hugged Jae Suk. "I know and I will." When Jae Suk embraced her back, she closed her eyes to keep herself from crying. I hate this, I hate lying. 

. . . 

Jong Kook watched as the notifications went off on his phone. The only thing he could do was exhale to these false rumors that tabloids has decided to spew out of their butts. Though he can understand why, he's an easy target. Every time new rumors start off, his company and himself never comment on about it. Which makes it suspicious and easy but they're not commenting because they feel as if it's a waste of energy. And it is, it truly is. 

"Just ignore it," Suk Jin said. "It's not even worth it."

Jong Kook chuckled as he took a piece of chicken and put it in his mouth. "I know, Hyung." The door opened and in walked Jae Suk and Ji Hyo. Somewhat still worried for Ji Hyo as they haven't talked to each other all day due to filming, he was glad to see that she chose to sit next to him and Kwang Soo. "Are you okay?" 

Ji Hyo nodded her head. "Just hungry," taking her bowl of rice, she scooped a big spoonful and put it in . "Really hungry." 

"Ji Hyo-ah," she looked at him as she chewed. Jong Kook looked around the dinner table, everyone was making small conversation so with Ji Hoon, trying to make him at least comfortable enough so he knows what to do for tomorrow's filming. As her friend and Oppa, Jong Kook observed Ji Hoon all day and there was nothing crazy about him that sent alarming signals. After a couple of hours of thinking, he assumed it was from the stress of choosing a drama to act in. "Want to go somewhere with me after dinner?" 

"Hmm...okay." Ji Hyo answered. 

. . . 

Jong Kook and Ji Hyo both decided to go up toward the hotel's rooftop. decorated with lights and chairs, the rooftop was known as one of the most proposal sites for couples. A little odd being on the rooftop together, they both managed to laugh about it as they sit next each other on a swing. It was a little past midnight, most of the members are already asleep or doing something else. 

Leaning her head against the swing chain, Ji Hyo looked up at the stars. "What is it that you want to talk about, Oppa?" 

"Oppa? You're calling me that now?" Jong Kook laughed. 

Ji Hyo smiled. "Occasionally," she opened her eyes and looked at him. "What is it?"

Jong Kook shrugged his shoulders. "I just figured that we both needed fresh air and to be alone to think. I mean, I know how much your acting career means to you but sometime soon, a little breather is fine. Don't stress yourself out and let it affect your work day. I get like that sometimes too with my album making." 

She stayed silent for a few seconds. Jong Kook thinks that she is like this because of her drama scripts choosing? Clearing , she shrugged. "Is it that obvious?" 

"Yes," Jong Kook replied. "Don't take it out on innocent people to, Ji Hyo." 

That definitely caught her attention. "Innocent? You're talking about Ji Hoon-ssi?" 

"Maybe you two got off on the wrong foot back then, don't blame him. He seems nice." Jong Kook explained. "Try to get along with him tomorrow. It's going to be an individual battle so it'll be a bit easier, right?" He stopped talking when he noticed Ji Hyo turned her head away and looked over to the flowers. "What's wrong?" 

"Oppa.." The way Ji Hyo was saying it kind of made him worried. "Do you remember how you said that love is something that you want to protect until you find the right one?" She didn't even give him time to answer. "Those words I love you is something you want to cherish and know that you're saying it to the right person. No matter how long it'll take, you're going to wait. That's how precious and important love is to you. But for me, love is nothing. It's not something that I want to have. I feel as if that even if I die now or grow old alone, it'll be okay. That's how much I really don't care for love." 

Jong Kook couldn't believe what he was hearing. It's not that he is hurt by her words because what does it really have to do with him? It's not like he and Ji Hyo will be together because that, that just doesn't feel right. It's the fact that he never thought that someone would think of the word love like that. For him, he believed that everyone loves love - it's just how the world is - when you find the right one, it feels as if it's the end of the world. And what you want to do most is spend it with the love of your life. 
 
As he sits here and listen to these words come out of , it makes him curious and worried for her. The only solution for someone as nice and sweet as Ji Hyo to speak about love like this is that she has been hurt before. Not the kind of hurt where you trip and fall, leaving a scar. The kind of hurt where your heart feels as if it will never come into full piece because someone has damaged so severely. 
 
He can understand where she is coming from because he has been in that place before. It took him a while to bounce back and be okay but he managed to do so, being courageous enough to look for love again. Jong Kook sighed and turned his attention over to the stars. "You want to know something about stars?" Ji Hyo stayed silent, letting him continue to talk. "Each and every star is looking for their own match made in heaven. When they twinkle like that, it means they've found it and is happy as ever."
 
Ji Hyo laughed. "Did you just made that up?"
 
Jong Kook nodded his head and laughed with her. "Although, you and I share different outlooks about love - it doesn't mean that it won't come knocking on your door. One day, you'll meet the one. And not the person that hurt you like this. It'll be someone who will cherish you as if you're their everything, it'll be someone smart enough to not let you go." Jong Kook patted her head. "Listen to Oppa, don't let one person that tore your heart apart control your life. I don't know who it is but that person must've been a jerk." 
 
The only thing she could manage to do was smile in return and lean her head onto his shoulder. She missed these one on one conversations with Jong Kook. "Oppa," Ji Hyo closes her eyes as she let sleep drift into her system. "The person must've hurt you a lot for you to never use the words I love you again, huh?" 
 
Jong Kook thought about her question. "Yes, I was hurt a lot..." He looked down to see that Ji Hyo has fallen asleep by the way she is snoring. He exhaled deeply as he took out his phone and looked at the message that Gap Jin has just sent him. Hyung! Big trouble! Someone close to Eun Hye-ssi has revealed that you've dated her. Our phones are going off here! Jong Kook closed his eyes to ignore that he even saw the message. He knew that one day the information would get leaked by someone. He just didn't know that it'll be leaked ten years later. His eyes stayed on Ji Ho, watching as she peacefully sleeps. "I guess we're not so different, Ji Hyo. We both have been hurt by love badly..." 
 
. . .
 
The filming for the second day of Running Man with Joo Ji Hoon went as smoothly as it possibly could. After eight hours of filming and running, it was finally to end the night with farewells for the members. Everyone gathered together and said their last words to each other. The best thing about filming with the same guest for two days is that it gives the cast and crew a week off. Which is rare and something that they love. As much as they love filming for the show, it's a nice break for a week to do something with their family or fit something work related on Mondays and Tuesdays. 
 
Jae Suk waved goodbye to the members and got into his van, just like the others. The only ones left standing were Haha, Jong Kook, Ji Hyo, and Kwang Soo. "Want to have dinner tonight at my restaurant?" Haha smiled. "On the house!" 
 
Kwang Soo beamed with joy. "Hyung, you know I never say no to food." Even the thought of eating food gives him energy. 
 
"Sorry, I can't." Jong Kook muttered as he took a look at the time. "I have a meeting with some people." He gives a sad smile to his dongsaengs. He knew that he didn't have to say or explain anything to them because they already know what's wrong. It's only been a little over twelve hours since the news broke out about him and Eun Hye but the nation has already went crazy over it. Even China has their own news spread about it. "See you in two weeks." 
 
Haha, Kwang Soo, and Ji Hyo watched as Jong Kook got into his van and waved his final goodbye to them before Gap Jin drove off. "What do you think is going to happen?" Kwang Soo asked with concern in his tone for his hyung. 
 
"What do you think? Of course, it's going to be the news of the month." Haha answered. "They're not going to give him a break at all." 
 
Ji Hyo stood there and thought about the conversation with Jong Kook last night. She must've been the one that hurt him so much back then. "Come on, I'm hungry."
 
. . . 
 
"No," Jong Kook rubbed his eyes as the feeling of sleep is overwhelming him. It's been two days since the news has broken out and this is his tenth interview about it. The other night, his company has suggested that he just admit that they dated and are good friends now. With the decision to come out and tell the truth, comes a thousand curious reporters waiting to ponder you with their questions. "We dated for two years and decided that it was best to stay as friends." 
 
"Did you and Eun Hye-ssi not match?" 
 
Jong Kook stared at the reporter. "We had our differences but it was the best decision we could do. It's already been ten years and till this day, we're good friends." Now, that is a lie. After the break up, they never contact each other again.
 
The sound of the door opening interrupted the interview. "Sorry, Jong Kook has a few schedules that he needs to do so we're going to end this here. Thank you." Gap Jin smiled at the reporter as he and Jong Kook walked out of the room. "Hyung, you need to decline these interviews now. People are gathering information and using it to attack you." 
 
"Why? What's going on?" 
 
Gap Jin turned around to see if any reporters are around him. "They're saying that you broke Eun Hye-ssi heart by cheating." 
 
"Cheating?!" Jong Kook covered his mouth and peered around his shoulders. "Where did they get that from?" 
 
"I don't know but everyone is making it out as your fault and Eun Hye-ssi is the innocent person in this." Even saying it from his own mouth, Gap Jin was getting angry. He knew the truth about the relationship between his hyung and her. It angers him to hear that people are thinking badly of his hyung about something that they don't even know. "If you're going to do another interview, you need to reveal the truth." 
 
Jong Kook gave Gap Jin a hard stare as an indication to shut up. "Do you know what that could do for her by revealing the truth? It's okay. I'm already known as a bad person on Running Man. It's nothing." 
 
Gap Jin rolled his eyes. "Commander is your character for the show, everyone knows that. They should know how you really are in real life before they assume stuff, bad stuff about you." 
 
The only thing Jong Kook could do was smile and draped his arm around his manager's shoulder. "I know you care about me but it doesn't hurt, I'm okay." 
 
. . . 
 
Ji Hyo tied her hair into a ponytail as she gets ready to leave for her first drama script reading. In the two days that passed, she spent hours discussing with her manager on what drama she should do. Deciding that she needed a drama that was refreshing and different from the ones she has done before, she decided to go with a crime/romantic comedy drama. While reading through the script that she was given for the first episode, she already loved the comedy of it but the also the thriller crime part. 
 
The decision was made last night but she already got the call to come in for the script reading. It's exciting to think that she was about to start working again. "Ji Hyo-ah," she turns around from the mirror and watched as her best friend, Lee Dong Wook walk over while taking a bite from an apple. "What do you want to eat for dinner?" 
 
"I don't know," she answered. "Who knows how long this script reading will take. I still have to discuss some things with the writer and director before I come back." She took a huge bite of the apple as she walked past him to get her jacket. "I wished you got the same drama offer as I did." 
 
Dong Wook made a face. "I've read it, there's a lot of kiss scenes for a crime drama." 
 
"Crime and romantic comedy," she corrected him. "It wouldn't be awkward if you and I did it." 
 
He chuckled as he sat on the couch, taking another bite of his apple. "Even if I received the drama, I wouldn't do it. Not acting with you again." 
 
Ji Hyo threw her slipper at him. "YA!" 
 
Dong Wook laughed as he the television. "Thanks for letting me stay over last night," he exhaled and looked at his best friend. It's been two years since they've started in a drama together. Even before when he used to guest star on Running Man, he knew that Song Ji Hyo was someone that he automatically connected with. Considering that they're both born on the same year, they match very well. Since the filming of the drama in 2013, he and Ji Hyo has been inseparable best friends. He's glad that he got to meet someone just like him in the entertainment business. It's almost a sign of relief. Last night, he got a little drunk during a hangout with friends that he couldn't drive home. He did the one thing he could only do, call someone he knew and it was her. "I'll treat you to dinner when you're back as a thank you." 
 
A smile spread across her face. "Jinja? No taking it back!" 
 
Dong Wook returned with his own smile. "Of course not." The sound of the Entertainment News interrupted their conversation as the host started talking about the recent scandal. Kim Jong Kook finished another interview about the reveal of his break up with Yoon Eun Hye. Although this breakup has taken place ten years ago, fans around the world are still going crazy about this fact. It has been revealed that they both decided to break up for the sake of being just friends. But our reps believe that it's another story. Did Kim Jong Kook, the nation's favorite commander, cheat on her causing a drift in their relationship? We have the full story tonight. "They're not going to let it go.." Dong Wook muttered.
 
Ji Hyo couldn't agree more with him. These past two days must've been hard for Jong Kook. Something personal like this between two people, should always stay personal. The fact that it is revealed to the whole world like this without the understanding of it, it's completely harsh. "Whoever leaked the information must be so happy." 
 
Dong Wook shakes his head. "It's just upsetting to see this was done by one mere person. Tell Jong Kook hyung to fight through it all." 
 
. . . 
 
Ji Hyo arrived at the script reading location and took the seat where her name was displayed at. As she went through the pages, she couldn't help but wonder who is her co-star for he drama. Due to the rush script reading and filming soon, the media isn't able to get their hands on the details yet. Leaving her with only curiosity to see who are in this drama. While taking a sip from the water bottle that was given to her, the actors were slowly coming in one by one. Some of them were her sunbaes which she immediately stood and bow to. "Annyeonghaseyo." 
 
"Aigoo, it's our lead actress!" Walking over to her with a bright smile, actor Jung Woong In shook her hand. "How have you been, Ji Hyo?" 
 
"I've been good, Sunbae. It's nice to finally be working with you." Ji Hyo couldn't be more than happy to working with him. Jung Woong In is one of the nation's best villain actor - knowing that he'll be in this drama with her is exciting and will be such a big learning experience. 
 
Woong In chuckled. "I'm happy to work with you after being on Running Man. You're still as beautiful as ever, Ji Hyo-ah."
 
Ji Hyo smiled. "Thank you and you're not bad looking either, Sunbae."
 
He laughed as he patted her hand. "She has some jokes on her!" His eyes adverted over to the doorway. "Aigoo! It's our lead actor!"
 
Ji Hyo turned around to face the doorway, getting ready to greet the person that she'll be working for three months with. And that's when she felt as if her world was tumbling down even more. With a black hoodie on, Joo Ji Hoon walks into the room with the drama script in his hand. 
 
They both froze on their spots, neither one of them knowing that they were going to be in the same drama together. For some reason, it's already a bad looking three months in the future. 
 
. . . 
 
(Author's Note):
 

Thank you so much for all your wonderful and amazing comments on the first chapter! It really kept me inspired as I wrote this chapter. Please do keep the comments coming! And I understand that most of you are wanting more Spartace moments, I don't blame you! And they are coming! I just needed to build the base of my storyline before the moments start rolling in! I sincerely hoped you liked this chapter! I'm sorry if it was too long for you! Please do comment! Share about what you think! - the characters and of course, spartace (: