This Little Hope

Undeniable Chemistry

Jong Kook slid a cup of coffee over to Ji Hyo's side of the table as he clenched onto his glass of water. It has been almost an hour since they kissed. When they pulled away, there was an awkward air between them again. Something that Jong Kook should've seen coming. He thought that Ji Hyo would run back inside In Sung's house and never talk to him again for another month. That was until she suddenly said if they could just sit down at Jong Kook's house.

"Ji Hyo," Jong Kook start to say softly. "The thing is that..."

"Jong Kook oppa," the word oppa surprised him as she really uses that term unless they're filming. "Oppa," she said it again. "Calling you oppa not only makes me feel weird but I believe it's a term where people ususally say when they're not as comfortable or not as close with the other." Ji Hyo exlplained. "Hyung is a lot more closer term for me. It's because I respect you. A lot." Here it comes, Jong Kook thought. He silently puts down his glass of water onto the coffee table between them and listened to the rest of her explaination. "That's what at least thought." Ji Hyo took a sip of the coffee and sighed. "Do you," she looked at him, his eyes staring straight at hers. "Is it possible that you've been lying to me? Do you actually like me?"

Jong Kook knew that she has always been a straightforward type of person when she wants to be. "Would it be weird for you if I answer yes?" There was a long pause. "Ji Hyo-ah, I don't things to be weird between us again. Not only does it affect our relationship that we've had for more than five years but it will also affect the cast and crew of Running Man. "But if right now we're being honest with each other, I can't lie. I do." Jong Kook confessed. "I don't when it exactly starte or maybe it has been for a while and I just never noticed until a couple months ago but I like you." Jong Kook watched as Ji Hyo's shifted in her seat as he spoke. "I've liked you a lot for a while. As each day goes by, the only person that pops out in my mind that brings me happiness is you. The one that makes me feel so incredibly happy is you. The one that makes me forget all the pain and suffering that I've been going through is you. No matter how much I've been thinking about it, I do like you. I can't stop the feelings from growing because everyday, I find a new thing to like about you even more." Jong Kook sighed. "And I know the feelings aren't mutual. Like you said, in some ways I'm a respectable hyung to you. Someone you can rely and share secrets on. Like how your relationship with Dong Wook-ssi is. I get that and I know things won't change just because of this confession." He nods his head. "But I'm glad that I can actually say this to you. If you rather have us not talk and just interact with each other on Running Man, I understand."

Ji Hyo stared at him. "Do I really make you feel that way?" She has been in only one or two relationships in her life. She definitely knows how a relationship or feelings are supposed to go. But to hear such things about herself, about how she makes someone feel like the way Jong Kook has told her - it's the first time anyone has said that. She blinked her eyes several times as somehow she was starting to feel emotional. Her eyes start shifting left to right as she thought about all the times Jong Kook has made her felt. Besides Dong Wook, he's the first person that would rush over to help. He's the one that wouldn't mind sitting down and listen to her talking for hours. He's the one that would be here for her on her most darkest and saddest days. She start thinking back to the week that she had flu, he's the only that stayed up all night taking care of her when he didn't even have to. He listened to her, he cared for her, he made sure that everything was okay with her. Her hands started feeling sweaty as she thought about all these instances in her mind. Jong Kook waited for her. He didn't rush her to say or do things. He knew that someway and somehow she would be able to do the things she possibly could do. And that's because he understood and knew her as if she was the back of his palm. Her eyes looked straight into his eyes - just like how she understands him.

It's merely impossibe for them to hide anyting from each other unless they're really sneaky about it. A huge precent of the time, they always knew something is wrong. Jong Kook knew if she was sad and she knew if he was sad. Things don't have to be spoken between them, they just know. So it comes to a surprise to her that she never knew that he had feeling for her all along. Suddenly, all the joking conversations Dong Wook would have about him comes to mind. Dong Wook always seemed convinced that Jong Kook saw her more than just a close dongsaeng. How could she have never seen it coming?

"Yes," Jong Kook answered her. "You do."

Ji Hyo blinked back to reality after being so lost with her thoughts. "I..." How is she supposed to say that she has never thought of Jong Kook that way? How is she supposed to put him down about these feelings that he has for her? How is she supposed to.....she stopped thinking after remembered about what happened an hour ago. She didn't exactly reject the kiss. In fact, she kissed him back. They stood in front of In Sung's house in the middle of the snow and kissed for...a few good minutes. Now she doesn't even know how she exactly feels about him. If she really didn't look or have any feelings like that towards Jong Kook, she would've rejected him away. Pushed, pulled away, or even slap - like she does in dramas. What happened earlier, she did neither of that. For some reason, at that moment - everything felt right. As if she was meant to kiss him back and she did. Dong Wook's words suddenly started ringing through her ears as she stared at Jong Kook. Maybe you do like him and you just dont know it. Does she? All the times that she has been so happy lately its because of Do Hyun, Dong Wook, and Jong Kook. "I don't know what to think...."

He knew she would be like this. He knew that she would reject him. "I know, the feelings aren't mutual." Jong Kook said again.

"No," Ji Hyo softly muttered. "It's not that the feelings aren't mutual," Jong Kook looked up from his water, surprised. "It's just that I don't know how I feel." Ji Hyo knit her eyebrows together and looked at him. "I'm just confused. If I don't like you like that then I would've pushed you away. But I didn't. I kissed you back." It feels weird to be talking about something like this with him but its the truth. "I really don't know I feel."

Jong Kook furrowed his eyesbrows together. "Are you....do you...." he has to stop himself from speaking any further. If he says something then he could possibly ruining all the hope he has. Right now, Ji Hyo seems so confused and lost. Maybe she just doesn't know that she has feelings for him. "Are you saying we could be a possibility?"

Ji Hyo blinked several times. Could they? "I don't know."

. . .

Dong Wook paced back and forth as he checked his watch in Ji Hyo's living room. Maybe I'm just going crazy, he thought to himself. It has been over two hours since Do Hyun was supposed to be back from being at Ji Hoon's for the weekend. No matter how much he tried to call the number he was given, no one picked up. And he doesn't want to freak Ji Hyo out by calling her. She's filming for that movie right now. There is no way he is going to ruin her filming mood by dropping something he is so unsure of like that. He runs a hand through his hair and frowned over at the clock. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Once the big band hits the twelve, it'll be three hours that Do Hyun is supposed to be home by now.

. . .

Ji Hyo watched as In Sung was filming his scene from her seat. Filming for the movie has been a little more hectic than she thought. For her, she has only been filming for two days while for others it's been almost a week. Most of the crew are already drained and tired. It's mostly due to the cold, snowy weather that Seoul has been having. It's almost funny because Director Park has been saying "more snow, the better" but lately it has been "I need the snow to go away".

"Ji Hyo-ssi," she looked up to see Lee Je Hoon, the actor who was on Running Man before and on the popular drama a few months ago named Signal, standing nearby. "Hi, it's nice to meet you again."

She stood up and shook hands with him. "Ah, it is! Are you just starting filming today?"

Je Hoon nods his head and held up his script. "I've been practicing."

"You'll do fine." Je Hoon and her mostly share intense and intimate scenes together as he would be playing her boyfriend in the film. "Let's try not to get awkward with each other."

"Of course not!" Je Hoon smiled.

Director Park walked over. "You two finally meet," he looked between them. "The scene we have for later tonight, it will be close and intimate. So I hope you two can just sit and get rid of any uncomfortableness surrounding you."

"Yes." Both Ji Hyo and Je Hoon said with a smile.

. . .

Haha and Kwang Soo both looked at each other as they sipped into their iced tea. "Let me get this straight," Haha start to say as he slowly put down his drink onto the table. "You and Ji Hyo are together?"

"No." Jong Kook answered. "She's thinking about it." Before Ji Hyo had left his house, she didn't exactly reject him. All she kept repeating was that she needs time to think about him. Not only is she confused about her feelings toward him but she is confused on what she should do. There is this tiny hope in him, the hope that there is a possibilty for an us for them. "I don't know. You know Ji Hyo, she could take forever to think."

Kwang Soo sighed. "Noona took forever if she wanted to buy a new couch."

"I think a couch and man are two different things, Kwang Soo-ah." Haha laughed. "Hyung, don't worry. I think you two do have a chance. She just doesn't know it yet. She will find out about her feelings and act out on it. It's Ji Hyo, when she wants something she gets it."

Jong Kook chuckled as he nodded his head. "Thank you."

"Maybe I should visit her at the movie site today and talk some sense into her." Kwang Soo suggested.

"No," Jong Kook said sternly. "Give her the time. This is something that is hard for the both of us. I mean, look at us. We've been together doing a show for more than five years. Hitting the seventh year. We've always looked at each other like a family, treated each other like siblings. Maybe for her, this is something..."

Kwang Soo and Haha immediately shook their heads and interuppted him. "No," Haha sighed. "Anyone can see that you two are practically made for each other. There is not a moment that you two share during filming that's for nothing. I don't know. There's always something going on and if you two don't get together. Byul and I will be mad, furious even."

"Why?!"

Kwang Soo shook his head. "Everyone around the world is waiting for you two to be together."

. . .

Ji Hyo stepped out of the pool and shivered in the cold as a bunch of crew members rushed over to her aide, throwing in three towels on her before she froze to death. She has been filming a scene where she fell into the outside pool after arguing with In Sung's character for almost four years now. Each and every angle for this scene is important because it's the most critical part. The scene where In Sung would deny his feelings for her, breaking her heart. When she falls into the pool, Je Hoon would show up and immediately jump into the freezing water to save her. In Sung's character would've witnessed everything and walk away. Although the scene is merely just a five minute moment but everything has to be done right. "Thanks," Ji Hyo said to the staff as her lips were numb from the cold.

"Are you alright?" In Sung asked with a worried tone as he held onto her, helping her dry off with the towels. "I feel so bad watching you and Je Hoon just keep jumpig into the water."

"It's okay, oppa." Her eyes adverted to Je Hoon was just getting out of the pool and being bombarded with a ton of towels by the female staff. She laughed and nodded her head over to his direction. "Looks like Je Hoon is well taken care of."

In Sung laughed and hugged Ji Hyo. "A couple more takes and it'll be over."

Ji Hyo nodded and smiled. "Ya, maybe one day I should push you into the pool."

"No!" In Sung immediately reacted, rushing away from her sight.

"Ji Hyo," she turned around to see her manager walking over. "Dong Wook's been calling you for the past four hours. At first, I didn't bother with it since you're filming but it seems incredibly urgent." Handing the cellphone over to Ji Hyo, he frowned. "You should prepare yourself."

The feeling of fear and worry automatically overcame her as she quickly pressed #1 on her phone, Dong Wook is always her first speedial. "Dong Wook, what's wrong?"

"Okay, don't freak out." Dong Wook said over the phone.

"You know saying that actually doesn't help," Ji Hyo argued back. "Did something happen?"

Dong Wook cleared his throat. "Ji Hoon hasn't brought Do Hyun back yet."

Furrowing her eyebrows together, she looks at her phone quickly to check the time. It was already close to eleven at night. "Did you call him?!"

"A thousand times!"

Forgetting about the scene she is supposed to retake, she automatcally rushed her footsteps onto the snow and over to the van. Rummaging through her purse, she quickly found a piece of paper with Ji Hoon's new address on it. "Dong Wook, I can't leave set right now. Go to this address and - "

"Song Ji Hyo-ssi!" one of the crew member called out for her as filming is about to begin.

"Got it?"

She could hear Dong Wook grabbing his car keys and the door closing behind him. "I'll call you as soon as I'm there."

As soon as Dong Wook hung up, Ji Hyo collasped onto the ground - she's out of breath and ton of thoughts were roaming around her head. What could Ji Hoon be doing? This isn't what they agreed on. A weekend, the weekend. Just Ji Hoon and Do Hyun. He promised her that he would bring Do Hyun back before his bedtime for school. Ji Hoon wouldn't do this. This is their child that they're in charge of - a human being that has half of his DNA and hers. Ji Hoon wouldn't go that far, would he?

"Ji Hyo-ssi!" She looked up to see every single crew member looking at her. Having no idea what else to do, she quickly sent a message to Jong Kook - the only person she could think of for help.

. . .

Jong Kook slammed onto the brakes and quickly got out of the car. "Dong Wook!" he screamed once he saw Dong Wook pulling into the curb. Rushing over to his side, Jong Kook looked up to see if the lights were on in Ji Hoon's house. "Have you been trying to call him since you started driving here?"

"He's not picking up. The phone's turned off this time." Dong Wook rushed over to the front door, slamming his finger onto the doorbell button continously. "Joo Ji Hoon!" Pounding his fists onto the door, he waited to see if he could hear footstep but nothing. "Joo Ji Hoon!"

Having no patience for all of this, Jong Kook clenched onto the doorknob, rattling it with all the strength in him. Once he heard a crackling sound, the door started to quietly open on its own. "Whoa, I never really thought that would work." He muttered to himself before rushing into the house with Dong Wook following behind. "Do Hyun! Do Hyun!"

Dong Wook looked around the huge mansion, eyeing every single area of the building. "Do Hyun!"

"Ahjussi?" Do Hyun appeared out from under the kitchen table, tears running down his face as he ran over. Clenching onto Dong Wook tightly, Do Hyun cried even harder. "You found me!"

Dong Wook bent down and checked Do Hyun for any injuries. "Ya! Where is your phone?!"

"Dad took it with him. He was worried that I would play with it too much." Do Hyun blinked from his teary eyes to see Jong Kook. "Commander Ahjussi?"

Taking a deep breath, Jong Kook scanned the living room and kitchen. "Where's your dad?"

"I don't know." Do Hyun wouldn't let go of Dong Wook's hand.

"What do you mean you don't know? He left you all alone?" Dong Wook asked with anger slowly building up inside of him.

Do Hyun nodded his head. "He said he had to meet up with a friend and that he would be back." Tears start forming again. "But I've been alone for six hours."

"He left you alone for practically the whole day?!" Jong Kook and Dong Wook yelled at the same time.

Jong Kook narrowed his eyes over at the couch, grabbing Do Hyun's backpack and shoes. "Come on, we're taking you home."

. . .

Ji Hyo closed the front door behind her and immediately cried when she wrapped Do Hyun in her arms. "You scared me!"

Do Hyun whined as he held onto her. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean to!"

Taking a deep breath, she kissed the top of his head and looked over at Dong Wook. "Where is he?"

"No one knows," Dong Wook answered. "Wherever he is, that'll be the last place he'll enjoyed before I - " he stopped and looked over at Do Hyun's big eyes staring at him. "Before I neatly talk to him about what he did wrong."

"Do Hyun, go wash up and get into bed. Mom will be right there." Ji Hyo said before she walked over and hugged Dong Wook. "Thank you."

"Don't just thank me," Dong Wook said. "Jong Kook hyung is out at the balcony."

Ji Hyo nodded her head, walking over to the balcony - she smiled. "Thank you for helping out."

Jong Kook chuckled and shrugged his shoulders. "It's no big deal. I'm just glad that Do Hyun is okay." He looked at Ji Hyo and then back over to the sky. "Dong Wook has been trying to call Joo Ji Hoon-ssi since we've been back. There's no luck."

"Don't worry about it," Ji Hyo muttered. "I'll make sure he will never see Do Hyun again." She couldn't believe after all the trust she has put in him, this is something he would do. It took all the courage and strength in her to agree on something like this. Everyone around her were split half and half about her decision on letting Ji Hoon spend the weekend with Do Hyun. She shoud've listen to the others better.

"Well," he exhaled and smiled. "I guess I'll get going. I have work early morning." Jong Kook actually had to skip put on the second half of his show tonight because of the text. There are probably some heat he will take next week from the producer but at this moment, it doesn't matter. All that matters is that Do Hyun is safe and Ji Hyo isn't freaking out about anything.

"Oppa...." Ji Hyo said slowly. Jong Kook halted his steps and turned around to look at Ji Hyo. She took a step closer to Jong Kook, interlocking her hands with his hand. "Yes."

"Huh?"

Clearing as she was slightly feeling flushed on the cheeks from taking the first intiative into this. "I've thought about it and...." Ji Hyo looked up at Jong Kook. "Yes. I have these feelings for you. They may not be as strong or they may just be new but I want to give this....us a try."

Jong Kook couldn't wipe the huge grin off his face. "Wow....." is all he could say right now.

 

 

A/N: Ta Da! Here's the next chapter! Please do share what you think! I really love reading all your comments! It makes my day! Sorry for any mistakes! (: