Scene I

The Gray Area

[Noises from the busy streets of New York City fill the ears of the passerbys.  There, a man stands on the corner of the sidewalk, tapping his right foot, checking his watch every so often.  ENTER YIFAN.  Dressed in a white dress shirt, jeans, and black Nike shoes.  He looks at his watch; it reads 10:45 a.m.  He sighs for the umpteenth time and glances back up only to see the person he was waiting for walking towards him.  ENTER YIXING.  Dressed in a dark v-neck cut shirt and black jeans. He smiles at YIFAN.

 

YIXING (smiling)                                                                

            Hey, sorry I took long.

 

YIFAN

            No, it’s alright.  I just got here too.

 

YIXING (giddy)

            Are you ready (YIFAN nods) Okay, let’s go.

 

YIFAN (mumbles silently)

            Yeah.  I waited for almost an hour.

 

YIXING (questioning)

            Did you say something?

 

YIFAN (denying)

            No.  (Sincerely) I’m just really happy to see you again.

 

YIXING (gladly)

            So am I, I’m really glad we’re talking again.

 

[They make their way inside the café and settle at their usual booth.  A waiter comes to their table, flashing a friendly smile at the two familiar customers.  She takes their orders and leaves the table.  YIFAN and YIXING look at each other awkwardly.

 

YIXING (in a stiff tone)

            Well, this is nice.

 

YIFAN (with a careful voice)

            Yeah.  You look good today.

 

YIXING (smiling)

You look pretty handsome yourself.  Oh! By the way, I have to leave a little earlier than planned.  My boss wants me in the office by 12:30.

 

YIFAN (shrugs shoulders)

            Ah, yeah, sure, that’s fine.  How’s work?

 

YIXING

            Good, just a lot of paper work and filing to do, (sighs) the usual old boring stuff I do.

 

YIFAN (smiling)

That’s nice.  I finally got that vacation that I’ve been asking for.  (Proudly) I’ll be leaving for Mexico on Sunday.

 

YIXING (surprised) (snorts)

Ah.  I wanted to go to Mexico last year, but you said you hated the country.  You never even tried to look at the brochures I brought.

 

YIFAN (crosses arms in front of chest)

            Well, that was a year ago, and I was busy then.

 

YIXING (grudgingly mumbles)

            Typical Yifan excuse.

 

YIFAN (annoyed)

            What was that?

 

YIXING (waves hands in air) (smiles forcibly)

            Oh, nothing.

 

[The waitress arrives and serves them their meals.  Sensing the tension from the couple, she leaves with a hurried smile.  YIFAN and YIXING eat their food in awkward silence.  Chatter from the other customers in the café fills their booth.  Suddenly, YIXING's cellphone blinks up, signaling a new message has arrived.  YIXING reads it and smiles at his cellphone screen.

 

YIFAN (in a rigid tone)

            Is that your boss?

 

YIXING (irked)

            No, it’s not.  Why do you always assume that it’s my boss?

 

YIFAN

            Well he does text you… (mumbles) very unprofessional.

 

YIXING (annoyed)

            What is so unprofessional about that?  He’s my boss.

 

YIFAN (indifferently)

            Alright, whatever you say.

 

YIXING

            It’s the Luhan by the way, He invited me to go clubbing tonight.

 

YIFAN (silently in a sing-song voice)

            Defensive.

 

YIXING (enraged)

            (In a furious whisper) What!?  Defensive? Really!?

 

YIFAN (grinning)

            Why are you so affected, you wouldn’t be if it weren’t true.

 

YIXING (angry and frustrated) (still whispering)

            Ugh!  This is about my boss isn’t it?  You think that I’m sleeping with him.

 

YIFAN (infuriated)

(In a hushed scream) Who wouldn’t!?  Coming home late, drunk, saying he was at her boss’ party!

 

YIXING (lividly)

I told you about that a week before the actual party.  You just didn’t listen.  You never do!

 

YIFAN (grumbles)

            Yes, I did listen.  I told you not to go, but you went anyway.  You went ahead to your boss’ party!

 

YIXING (frustrated) (whispering furiously)

Ah!  Why do you always make me sound like I’m cheating on you!  I never cheated, not once!  You just don’t trust me, you never did.

 

YIFAN (mockingly)

            I’m not accusing you of anything.  It must be guilt that’s making you delusional.

 

YIXING (sighs in despair)

            This isn’t working.  Let’s stop this, Fan.

 

YIFAN (whispers)

            Yeah, it isn’t.

 

[Silence once again descends their booth.  It is not an awkward aura like before.  The silence is different.  The feeling of exhaustion sets before them.  YIFAN and YIXING both sigh in unison.

 

YIFAN (carefully)

            What happened?

 

YIXING (in a soft voice)

            To us?  I don’t know.  I guess we just… fell out of love.

 

YIFAN

I guess so… (Sincerely) but I did really love you, I still do.  But it’s not as strong as before.

 

YIXING (with an etched face)

Me too.  I just don’t think that getting back together will solve anything. 

(Sighs in relief) Gosh!  This feels do weird.

 

YIFAN (smiles)

            (Teasingly) But it’s nice talking to you like this and not having you scream at my face.

 

YIXING (laughs)

            [YIXING's cellphone rings.

            It’s my boss.

 

YIFAN (jokingly)

            Oh, your boss huh?

 

YIXING (smiles)

            Yeah it is, and I’m late.  I need to go.

 

YIFAN

            Alright, I’ll stay here for awhile.  Just sit and relax… people watch.

 

YIXING (laughs) (sincerely)

            Take care of yourself.

 

YIFAN (with a content smile)

            Yeah, I’ll see you around.  (Genuinely) Bye.

 

YIXING (wholeheartedly)

            Bye.

 

[YIXING gets up and picks up his phone.  He looks at YIFAN one last time, giving him once last smile.  YIXING waves her hand goodbye and heads towards the door.  At the door, he waves for the final time.  He opens the door and exits.  Just before the door closes, the wind picks up, leaving a new rush of fresh air.  YIFAN picks up his cup of coffee and smiles to himself.


Hello everyone! One more week of exams before I'm finished 1st sem. I hope you guys like this little fic I've prepared to thank you all for your patience. There are 3 more scenes to come. 

Thank you so much and I well see you all soon!!!~~~ ^u^