The Cigarette

The Cigarette

Our love is like this cigarette stick. It burned so bright in the beginning, when our attraction and our emotions flamed the embers of our dying hearts and lit up everything in our midst. It was full of passion and love. But it was as deadly as it was fiery. It slowly consumed us, making us remnants of our former selves. There were moments of exhilarating ups and extreme downs. We were never stable. Whenever the flames would slowly cool down, we would give our all, risking ourselves, to keep it alight. But alas, like this cigarette stick, we all have our limits. Are you really ready to give this your all? To let this be the death of you?” Jiyong asked, inhaling the smoke deeply, trembling with anticipation, waiting for the other person’s reply.

 

 

Seungri stared at Jiyong, the only source of illumination coming from the end of the cigarette stick he was consuming. He tried memorizing Jiyong’s every feature, dissecting each and every perfect imperfection while his mind raced with a thousand thoughts and a thousand outcomes. But really, he has always known that what they had was inevitable, and so was its end.

 

 

“I wanted it to last. But I guess I’m not what you need right? And now I realize, you’re also not what I need. We became each other’s addiction and that’s never healthy. But I noticed recently that you’ve been happier. I guess you found someone who can give you what I can’t right? She’s not like me. When you’re with her, you won’t have to hide. With her you can be you. And I get that, I really do. And I’m happy for you. So I’m going to give you the thing you’ve wanted since you met her. I’m going to give you your freedom. I’m going to let you go, for real this time. Be happy Jiyong”, Seungri said as he touched Jiyong’s face one last time.

 

 

Seungri then abruptly turned around, hoping that his retreat was not too late. Hoping against hope that Jiyong did not see the tears as they fell from his face.

 

 

Jiyong sighed as he took one last puff from his cigarette before throwing it to the ground. He then watched Seungri’s silhouette begin to get dimmer and dimmer until it blended with the darkness of the night. Jiyong left before the last ember of his cigarette faded into nothing.