Reunion

Reunion

“Ahh. Hyung! Are you ready yet??” Jungshin asked, “It’s 20 minutes past our meeting time! We’re going to be late!” Jungshin checked his outfit in the mirror by the door ensuring that he doesn’t look sloppy. He wanted to look good for the High School Reunion they were going to attend. As he was adjusting his tie, Yonghwa come out of his room looking extremely dapper and handsome.

“Yah. Why are you so handsome? I look like a toad next to you!” Jungshin exclaimed feeling worried. Yonghwa smiled and helped his friend adjust his tie.

“Come on. Let’s go!” Yonghwa said. The drive didn’t take too long. The roads were clear and it made Yonghwa even more nervous. He hadn’t met any of his schoolmates, apart from Jungshin, since he graduated high school. Though he wasn’t particularly interested in any of the schoolmates, there was only one person he was hoping to see at the reunion. That person was the main reason why he agreed to go in the first place.

“We’re here,” Jungshin stated, “Let’s go.” They made their way to the hall which was decorated beautifully almost similarly to how their high school prom was decorated. Once seated at their table, Yonghwa started looking around trying to see if he recognized anyone. He scanned the room until a familiar beautiful profile caught his eye. In that instant he knew who it was. He looked away and smiled to himself. He wondered if she remembered him, or the promise he made to her that he hasn’t fulfilled yet. Yonghwa kept stealing glances at the person, even out rightly staring at her at one point. Jungshin noticed his friend’s glances and nudged at him wriggling his eyebrows.

Back when they were still students, everyone knew about their relationship. Everyone was jealous of them. They managed to maintain such a lovely relationship and still achieve good academic performances. Yonghwa was the most handsome guy in the school, while she was the smartest kid in the school. It was a surprise that they were together in the beginning and many felt that Yonghwa deserved someone better than her. She wasn’t the prettiest girl in school, but she was the most mature for her age. Yonghwa liked her for her personality. When they were together, they didn’t pull each other down, but instead they pushed each other up. He supported her in her various school involvements while she helped him with his grades when he was down. He even taught her to play the guitar and eventually made a song together titled “Banmal Song”.

Yonghwa was reminiscing the times he had with her when he suddenly saw her got up from her seat. She was heading towards the buffet spread. He got up and walked towards her.

“Hello Joohyun” Yonghwa said trying to sound as cool as possible. She turned and smiled when she saw him.

“Oh hi Yonghwa!” she replied. He couldn’t say anything else. Her smile was beautiful and he couldn’t help but notice how she had grown into an incredibly beautiful lady. Her eyes were sparkling and her lips were full with a hint of pink from the lipstick she was wearing. He snapped back to reality when Joohyun cleared and waved her hand infront of his face.

“Earth to Yong? You’re spacing out!” she laughed looking at his face. She hadn’t realized how much she missed him until she took a good look at him. His brown eyes and snaggletooth grin that she loved seeing so much. She smiled to herself thinking about how he’s grown into a fine man. She was proud of him and the person he's become, following his dreams of becoming a singer. She kept up with any news or album releases from him, admitting to herself that she was his number one fan since even before he got famous.

"Oh. Heh. I'm sorry.." Yonghwa spoke shyly, rubbing his neck, "You're still as beautiful as ever. Even before you became a model." Joohyun smiled shyly. He knew just the right words.

"Speak for yourself Mr. One Fine Day.. You're doing well nowadays too right?" Joohyun said with a smile. Yonghwa just nodded shyly. They were both the same people they were when they first met, and now they have gone onto different life paths achieving success respectfully.

"You listen to my songs?" Yonghwa asked Joohyun.

"Of course. I was and always will be your number one fan! Even back then when we were in school right?" Joohyun chuckled, "Anyway, I have to get back to my table. We'll talk again later after the event okay?" Yonghwa nodded and watched her walk away. He was clueless of the pair of eyes watching them the entire time. Only when he walked back to his table that he noticed Jungshin smiling widely wriggling his brows at him. Yonghwa simply ignored him and kept his eyes on the beauty that he missed.

--

After the event, they were allowed to mingle but Yonghwa was still slightly worn out from his schedules so he decided to just sit and watch the people around him, matching names to faces trying to remember which classes they were in together and such. He was drinking from his glass when the event organiser a.k.a the ex-class president, Kang Minhyuk, approached him.

"Hello Yonghwa! Can I ask a favour from you?" Minhyuk asked. Yonghwa nodded curiously.

"I was wondering if you would sing a song or two since you're.. You know.. Hehe. Famous and such." Minhyuk said, " but if you don't want to, then it's okay.. No pressure." Yonghwa laughed. Minhyuk and him had been close in school but drifted apart when they graduated. How could he say no to Minhyuk right?

"No problem. Sure thing, Minhyuk-ah," Yonghwa said, "Anything for my favourite class president!" Winking and teasing Minhyuk at the same time.

"Ahhh Hyung! Thank you! We're all set up already, you can go ahead now!" Minhyuk said. Yonghwa just laughed. He followed Minhyuk up to the stage and set up his guitar that he brought along. He was wondering what song he wanted to sing when he heard Minhyuk announcing that they had a special surprise performance. Yonghwa chuckled again. This kid, really. When the curtains opened, he felt more nervous than he should. He didn't even know why.

"Hi everyone. I'm Jung Yonghwa! I'm from the class of '07! Minhyuk requested a few songs from me so I shall begin. The first song is my personal favourite. 'Falling Slowly' from the movie, Once." Yonghwa said as he started strumming his guitar. He began singing as the crowd cheered. His eyes wandered around the hall until he saw the one he wanted to dedicate his next song to. He finished his first song and bowed his head to the crowd, thanking them.

"Thank you! My next song is dedicated to my number one fan," Yonghwa said, looking directly at Joohyun, "This is 'Lovelight'. For the president of my heart." The crowd laughed and cheered him on. He began strumming his guitar and towards the end of the song, he looked at Joohyun in the eye and sang the song to her. He just ended the song, thanking the crowd when she stood up and hurried out of the hall. His eyes followed her and he rushed to put down his guitar and went after her.

He went out of the hall looking for her and found her sitting at one of the benches under the stars. He approached her, gently touching her shoulder.

"Hyun. Are you okay?" he asked. She turned to face him slowly. He could see tears forming in her eyes. Whatever feelings she was holding in all this time just burst out the moment she looked at him. Yonghwa was shocked but he took her in his arms and hugged her. They stayed that way for awhile before she stopped crying and gathered herself together.

"I'm sorry, Yong. I don't know what got to me.." Joohyun said.

"You don't have to be sorry.. Are you okay? Do you want to share your thoughts?" Yonghwa asked. Joohyun looked at him hesitatingly before taking a breath.

"Lovelight.. Is a good song.. I like it," Joohyun said, "Thanks for dedicating it to me just now. I like the rap. 'president of my heart'. You used to say that to me." Yonghwa smiled, happy that she remembered the little details.

"I wrote it thinking of you," Yonghwa said. Joohyun looked at Yonghwa in the eyes, shocked by the sudden confession.

"You.. You wrote the song.. For me?" Joohyun asked. Yonghwa smiled and nodded.

"For you," he said, "I was playing with an old melody that I didn't have lyrics to. I started thinking of our times together. The times we spent during school. Our couple rings. Our memories. And that's when I started writing the lyrics. I wrote the lyrics while thinking about you." Joohyun looked at him seemingly looking for a sign to see if he was telling the truth or playing a cruel joke, but all she saw was his sincerity.

"I admit we drifted apart after we graduated. It was a time for us to chase our dreams and we naturally drifted apart," Yonghwa said, "But now that I have reached my goals and achieved my dreams, I realize the only thing that was missing in my life.. is you." Yonghwa took Joohyun's hand and placed it around his neck and rested his hands on her waist. He started slow dancing whilst looking into her eyes.

"Do you remember the promise I made to you?" Yonghwa asked her, "You said you wanted to dance under the stars once in your life. No music, just us." Joohyun's eyes started to water again.

"Yong.." Joohyun started, "I don't know what to say.."

"Don't say anything.. Not yet." Yonghwa said, "Let me fulfill my promise and just enjoy this moment." He wiped her tears and she just laid her head on his shoulder. They danced slowly to no music for what seemed like an eternity.

"Yong.. Thank you.. For everything.." Joohyun said, "I want to say something. Will you allow me to?" Yonghwa just nodded.

"I.. Ever since we broke up, I worked hard to get to where I am now. When I found out that you debuted as a singer, I was happy for you. I followed any news that mentioned you. I even went to one of your concerts. I watched you on stage and saw you enjoying what you love doing the most. I knew that our breakup was for a good purpose. We both achieved our dreams."

"Seeing you here tonight.. Listening to you dedicate a song to me.. Ignited some feelings that I've suppressed for a long time. And here you are confessing.." Joohyun said, "Anyway, what I wanted to say is.. I've missed you too. All these years, I've missed you so much." Joohyun teared up slightly, but she wiped her tears herself and looked at Yonghwa. She was waiting for a reaction of any sort from him, but he just stood there looking at her. She started waving her hands in front of him when he suddenly grabbed her hands. Yonghwa looked at Joohyun and went down on one knee. Joohyun's eyes widened in shock.

"Hyun. I know we haven't been together all this time, but will you marry me?" Yonghwa asked, "You don't have to marry me immediately, but I will wait for you and court you the way a girl should be courted. Let's start over. Go on dates and make new memories together. But, Seo Joohyun, will you marry me eventually?" Joohyun looked at Yonghwa and laughed.

"Of course, you pabo." Joohyun said smiling and almost laughing at the same time. Yonghwa stood up and took her in his arms, hugging her tightly. Yonghwa let go of her and looked at her.

"I love you, Hyun."

"I love you, Yong."

This was definitely a reunion. Especially for the both of them.