(NamMin) Today

Born To Slay

 

Title: Today
Pairing: NamMin / MinJoon / JiMon (whatever you call it)
Genre: Romance, Fluff, highschool!au
Prompt: "cute nammin fluff where namjoon tries to confess to jimin"
Warning/s: /sobs/ i did what i could sorry i failed ;__; // unbeta-d

Length: 3811 w.

 


 

 

 

 

 

"Today's the day," Namjoon says after waking up in the morning. He had a good night's rest and even woke up earlier than his alarm. He thinks of this as a good sign because it seems like everything's right with the world.

 

 

"Today's the day," Namjoon repeats to himself in front of the mirror while shaving his facial hair. He had just stepped out of the shower and none of his muscles hurt even though he tried working out yesterday without any stretching. His day was getting better and better.


 

"Hoohay'h huh hay!" he calls out to his mom while brushing his teeth. He may have taken a bit too long with dressing up and styling his hair that he had to decline breakfast or else he'd be late, and he really almost choked on his own spit while brushing, but it was still a good day. His mom didn't understand a word that came out of his mouth but she still bade him goodbye as he ran through the front door (not without kissing his mom's cheek first, of course).

 

 

"To-day-(huff)-is-(huff)-the-day," he reminds himself as he jogs to a halt near the bus stop. It seemed that, as he was too excited for today, he ran faster than usual, ergo arrived earlier than he was supposed to. He at least had time to catch his breath before having to sit down or stand up on the way to school. (5 minutes later, the bus comes around and he gets to sit down. All the way to school. What a wonderful day.)

 

 

Today's the day~ It's a beautiful day, he hums in his head, forgetting to show his ID as he walks by the security guard upon entering the campus. He was called and searched and after a few seconds of liquid terror running through his veins for the fear of being imprisoned, his mind suddenly shifts and starts funcitoning again, allowing him to remember his ID in his jacket's inner pocket. Flashing it to the security guard, he apologizes and proceeds to his classroom. That hyung's significantly kinder today, he thinks as he recalls the actions of the security guy. He smiles to himself. Just my luck.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"What do you mean by 'today's the day'?"

 

 

"Huh?"

 

 

Hoseok sighs. "You've been muttering that to yourself the whole of first period. It's kinda creepy, if you ask me. Worse than your usual creepy."

 

 

"Because today's the day!" Namjoon exclaims. When his best friend looked more confused than ever, he chuckles. He huddled close to Hoseok and whispered in his ear: "I'm going to confess to Jimin today!!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Now, usually, when people plan to confess to their loved ones, they get all flustered and nervous, to the point where they actually fail to do what they were supposed to do and the whole situation comes out awkward instead. After failing, they plan again, and eventually fail again. It's a vicious cycle, love is. Up until you get the courage to really confess before they fall into the wrong arms, that is.

 

 

In Namjoon's case, failing to confess isn't an option. Not now, not ever. Not today, especially when he woke up on the best side of the bed, felt better than he was supposed to, and almost everything has been going his way since the moment he woke up. He was ready for this. He has been planning this since forever, so he wasn't going to fail and try again next time. No, he was going to do this today. No matter what happens, Namjoon is going to confess to Jimin today. All the signs have been right there, he just needed to follow them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So when lunchtime rolls around, the butterflies in his stomach have already multiplied tenfold but Namjoon keeps them from flapping their wings and taking off by repeating the word "today" in his head as much as he can without being too distracted from listening to his professors. He walks into the cafeteria with Hoseok 5 minutes after the bell rings and they wait in line patiently, as per usual. Namjoon notices that the coleslaw didn't look as sad as the other days so he takes this as yet another good sign. He gets to their table without spilling anything from his tray so he smiles to himself, not speaking a word about it to the others because it might jinx his klutz-free confession day. 10 minutes into his lunch, a bunch of juniors started walking through the door. He recognizes them immediately and he freezes. His mind starts to panic because maybe, just maybe, he wasn't ready to do this yet. No, maybe today wasn't the day yet. Maybe he could still run away before--

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Namjoonie hyung! Don't let anyone else sit there, alright?"

 

 

 

 

 

"Y-yeah! O-okay, alright..." he shouts back.

 

 

 

Nope, today's definitely the day, Namjoon sighs to himself, trying to calm the butterflies down because he thinks he's gonna be sick. He glares at Hoseok after seeing the other laughing wiggling his eyebrows at him.

 

 

 

"Ow! What was that for?" Hoseok stops laughing because he felt something the size of an apple hit him square in the forehead. He picks it up and lifts his head to frown at Namjoon, only to find out that the latter has been shooting daggers at him this whole time. Hoseok raises his hands in defeat and chuckles. "Sorry, Joonie. I can't help it. You're just such an open book."

 

 

"Am not," Namjoon mumbles in response, choosing to glare at his food now instead of his best friend. A sudden loss of apetite is a sign of nervousness, right? But why would he be  nervous? Why would he be nervous now? Now, after he's practiced his confession for over a hundred times in front of his mirror (and maybe another hundred while staring at Jimin's profile picture on facebook)? Now, after preparing himself the entire week before to be able to get everything he wants to say out of his mouth, slowly but surely, before he starts rapping out of habit? After making sure he looked more presentable than he usually did just to emphasize that this was probably one of the most important days of his life?

 

 

 

 

No. Kim Namjoon was not supposed to be nervous. Kim Namjoon is not nervous. Kim Namjoon can do this, and WILL do this, no matter what it takes. Kim Namjoon--

 

 

"Hi hyung!"

 

 

--panics. He could really feel his stomach becoming an actual butterfly cage. He didn't know that was possible.

 

 

 

He turns and his eyes fly to the person currently sliding into the seat beside him. He silently curses his highly-observant personality because wow does Park Jimin look good in their uniform. A lump starts to form in his throat when he opens his mouth, rendering him unable to speak, and it takes him a few seconds to realize that he probably looked like he was gaping at Jimin the entire time. Thankful that Jimin wasn't looking, he coughs to clear his throat and replies with a quick "hello" before turning back to his food. His sad, pathetic, half-eaten lunch. He pokes and prods with his chopsticks the remainder of his now cold 자짱면 and only stops when he hears Jimin speak up again.

 

 

 

 

"So, do you guys have anything to do tomorrow? Tae and I don't have much homework so I was thinking we should all go see a movie. We all need to unwind from the stress, anyway."

 

 

"Yeah," Teahyung agrees, mouth still half-full with to-be-chewed food. "Then maybe we could ride bikes afterwards or something."

 

 

Hoseok gives them a thumbs up as a response since he couldn't speak yet because, unlike Taehyung, he actually has the decency to finish chewing before speaking. He swallowed and added, "I'm up for it. Good thing my dentist appointment got cancelled. How about you, Namjoon?"

 

 

 

 

Instead of responding properly with words, Namjoon just stares blankly at Hoseok, unsure of what to say. For all he knows, his confession today could end up so bad that they'd be weird around each other the next day because Jimin wasn't into him as well. That's what kept Namjoon from answering rigt away. But, then again, if the confession did go well, it would be the perfect opportunity to spend more time with Jimin.

 

 

Still pondering on what to say while staring blankly and a bit stupidly at Hoseok, his thoughts were interrupted by a sudden--

 

 

 

 

"So, how about it, hyung? You coming?" Jimin turned to him and smiled that slight-smile of his, the one that drove Namjoon crazy because he looked so adorable and--

 

 

"I, uh--"


 

 

"He'd love to! We're both completely free tomorrow, anyway," Hoseok interjected with both his thumbs up, sticking them in Jimin's direction, looking like an overgrown kindergartner. Namjoon was debating with himself on whether or not to slap him right there and then for answering for him when Jimin spoke up again.

 

 

 

"Really? Okay then!" And then he smiled so brightly and so wide that Namjoon thought he'd go blind. Seeing Jimin's eyes turn into slits on his face because of his smile made Namjoon's knees go weak and it might have given him the push he needed to confess. He decided that if today really was the day, then now was the time to do it. So he went for it.

 

 

 

 

 

"Jimin-ah." Dug-dug. Dug-dug.

 

 

Jimin looks at him. "Yes, hyung?"

 

 

"I have to tell you something."

 

 

 

 

Taehyung, oblivious to what was going on on the other side of the table, was just quietly eating his lunch for once and observing the other students in the cafeteria. Hoseok stirs in his seat but tries to hide his interest. Is this what he's been waiting for?

 

 

 

 

Jimin turns the whole half of his body attentively towards Namjoon because he can feel that it was about something pretty serious. The confusion shows on his face but he stays calm. "What's it about hyung?"

 

 

Dug-dug. Dug-dug. "I, uh..." Dug-dug. "I kinda, sorta, maybe have this---"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"NAMJOON-AH! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?! I'VE BEEN LOOKING ALL OVER FOR YOU!"

 

 

 

 

 

"...Jackson? What? What for--"

 

 

"Our reporting for History is today isn't it?! And we were supposed to be practicing this lunch, remember??"

 

 

"No, I distinctly remember Professor Yoon saying that our report will be on the 13th of March."

 

 

"And what is today, exactly?" Jackson says, crossing his arms impatiently.

 

 

Namjoon checks his phone. "Oh CRAP." He sees the numbers 03-13 on his phone and he immediately regrets cramming everything when they had nearly a month to work on the report. "But Jackson, I have to--"

 

 

"No! You have to practice! With us! Right now!!" Jackson grabs his hand and starts to pull him away from the table.

 

 

"But--"

 

 

"It's okay, just tell me later! Good luck with the report, hyung!" Jimin smiles and waves goodbye to him as he gets dragged away from the cafeteria. He sighs. Today is definitely the day. That just wasn't the time.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Of course the reporting went smoothly. No one had to worry about anything because Namjoon already studied the material beforehand and made some research of his own, but they insisted he practice with them so they'd be 'synchronized' during the presentation. Pft, yeah right. It was a good thing Namjoon wasn't the type to be nervous in front of the whole class or the teachers. How could he be when he's the class rep? So, as expected, his classmates and teacher were all very impressed with their (slightly impromptu) presentation.

 

 

 

Namjoon slides back to his seat and turns to face Hoseok. When he came to the classroom before 3rd period started, he told Namjoon that something happened when he left. Namjoon wanted nothing more than to finish their report quickly to listen to Hoseok's story especially since Jimin was involved.

 

 

Unfortunately, his friend wasn't paying attention and was, instead, jotting down notes from the professor's discussion. Or maybe just writing in his notebook. Namjoon didn't really know, and neither did he care.

 

 

 

 

"Don't tell me you're actually paying attention for once." Namjoon frowned at him. "This one time I need you not to."

 

 

Since Hoseok was writing with his right hand, he put up his left index finger, showed it to Namjoon, and put it to his mouth. If Namjoon didn't get the message, then he probably wouldn't be as smart as Hoseok thought him to be.

 

 

But it seemed like Namjoon did get the message because, despite keeping the frown on his face, he turned back to the professor, eyes looking intent to listen to the discussion, but mind swirling with a million different thoughts at a time. Hoseok had to suppress his laughter to keep himself from getting caught and interrogated by Namjoon.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After their class, though, Namjoon wasted no more time. Instead of turning to Hoseok for the news the latter had to share, he stepped out of their classroom in a rush because he knew he and Jimin had the same break time. He had to talk to the shorter boy today, and soon, because he couldn't keep the feelings in any longer. He just wishes that, somehow, rejection isn't what he'll face when he does get to confess.

 

 

Upon reaching Jimin's classroom, he was greeted by a bunch of empty chairs and still air. He was still struggling to catch his breath when he saw the writing on the chalkboard.

 

 

 

For today's Physics class, please proceed to the Music Room.

 

 

 

Defeated, Namjoon sighs and trudges back to his classroom, dragging his feet along the corridors in hopes that someone, somewhere, would understand the depressed state he was currently in.

 

 

 

 

Today it still the day. Now's just not the time yet.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hoseok didn't even notice the return of his friend until Namjoon plopped himself down on the seat next to him. "So, how'd it go?"

 

 

Namjoon turns his head, looks at Hoseok, groans, and faces front once more, leaving his friend in a confused state. Nevertheless, Hoseok just lets Namjoon go do his own thing, like bang his head against his desk. Hoseok doesn't think much about stopping him anymore because, his IQ is so high, it wouldn't hurt him to lose a few points, right?

 

 

 

 

 

 

Fourth and fifth period came and went, leaving Namjoon bored and uninterested in anything the teachers said because his mind was busy following something (someone) else. His last chance to talk to Jimin was after sixth period, their last class, and Jimin was supposed to be at the gym. He couldn't wait for classes to finish so he could finally get the chance to confess properly and to take that heavy burden off of his chest. He couldn't wait to get rid of this feeling; having a crush on someone really takes its toll on you, he realizes. He couldn't eat, not even to feed the butterflies or moths that, he now believes, live in his stomach. (Actually, he thinks they might have evolved into tiny birds, you know, like the toothfairies from the Rise of the Guardians movie, but he thinks that would be weird.) Also, having feelings makes him feel like he might just have daily heart attacks, and that can't be good for his health.


 

 

Overall, Namjoon just wants to feel better and he thinks, believes, knows, that if he confesses to Jimin, he'll be better.


 

 

 

 

(If Jimin accepts him, that is.)


 


 


 


 


 

 

 

When the bell rings, Hoseok finally lets go of the breath he didn't realize he's been holding in. Why did math have to be the last subject of our day? He sighs and starts to pack his things up, getting ready to go home. When he looks over to Namjoon's side to finally tell him about what happened in the cafeteria, he realizes that his best friend was gone. Namjoon just up and left without him. Not a word to him at all. But he wasn't worried that Namjoon was mad at him.


 

 

No, he thinks he's done just fine.


 


 

 

 


 

"Tae-(huff)-hyung! (huff) Where is (huff ) Jimin?" Namjoon's chest was already heaving as he got to the gym. It wasn't that far away from their building so he internally cringes at how weak he's gotten.


 

 

Taehyung was still shooting some hoops when he answered, "Dunno hyung, I think he went home already. Did you try checking the lockers?"


 

 

Namjoon didn't think of that. Thanking his dongsaeng, he lightly jogs to the locker room because he Cannot Run Anymore. He feels like an old man with weak knees about to give up on him after just a few laps around the school so he thinks about going to the gym more often.


 


 


 

 

 

Disappointment is what greets Namjoon as he walks into the empty locker room. Empty, save for the lingering smell of men's socks that never seems to dissipate. Namjoon didn't even have the time to be disgusted as he walked out with his head hung low.


 


 

He was really sure of today, since it was the last day of the week and they had lunch together today. It was the perfect opportunity. Today was the perfect day.


 


 


 

What did I do wrong? What happened? Is it really not meant to be? Should I really just keep this all to myself? Should I just move on? Depressing thoughts filled Namjoon's mind as he made his way to their school's gate. He kicked every stone in his path as a sort of distraction, keeping his eyes trained on the path before him. Once he's outside the gates, he turns and heads over to the nearby bench shaded by a beautiful fire tree, one he likes to admire and stare at when he refuses to go home immediately after classes. He sits and just keeps his head low, looking at all the fallen leaves of the fire tree. He hears the footsteps of people passing by but as long as they don't bother him, Namjoon doesn't bother to look up as well.


 


 


 

 

 


 

"Hyung? What's wrong?"


 


 


 

 

Namjoon looks up and sees him. Right there, right in front of him.


 

 

Park Jimin.

 

The Park Jimin.


 

 

The Park Jimin he's been looking for all day. The Park Jimin he's got a crush on. The Park Jimin he's been trying to get a hold of just so he could confess properly. The Park Jimin he couldn't find after his class and caused this depression he's currently in.


 

 

 

The Park Jimin he [almost] gave up on.


 

 

 


 


 

The universe must be laughing at him right now. Whoever's in charge must have planned this in advanced as a joke. Unfortunately for him, though, it wasn't funny for Namjoon. It just hurt. He let out a hollow laughter, feeling the bitterness run through his veins.


 

 

Even if he did have the chance to confess now, what would he do now that his soul's practically depleted and hopeless?


 


 


 


 

Regaining his senses, Namjoon replies with a waving hand, "Nothing. I'm fine, Jimin-ah." He forced a smile to his face to keep his dongsaeng from worrying because that's how Park Jimin is. He's basically an angel.


 


 

Jimin frowns at the response he gets. "I don't believe you." He stretches his hands out to Namjoon. "Give me your hands."


 

 

 

Confused, and a little bit dazed because his heart was still beating abnormally fast dammit, Namjoon places his hands on top of Jimin's smaller, outstretched ones. The shorter one proceeds to pull Namjoon, making him stand up. It takes a few seconds for Jimin to let go and Namjoon thinks he'll die because ohmygod his hands are so soft how can they be this soft it's impossible. When Jimin finally does let go, Namjoon finally becomes aware of how close they were and how perfect Jimin's height was for him, how really easy it was for him to just grab Jimin by the shoulders and---


 


 


 

He suddenly feels small hands and short arms winding around his waist and after a few seconds, something clicks inside his mind and it tells him that Jimin, the Park Jimin he's been looking for, was currently hugging him. Tighter than normal, if he could say so himself. Before he could reciprocate the hug, Jimin pulls away and Namjoon feels a piece of his soul detach from him.


 


 

 

 

"What was that for?" Namjoon asked, looking straight into Jimin's eyes. His heartbeat was increasing its speed and he feels like he's about to hyperventilate because of it.


 

 

"Well, y-you looked down and sorta depressed so, I-I... I thought you needed it." Jimin avoids Namjoon's eyes and chooses to look at his shoes instead. He could feel the blood pounding in his ears and the blush creeping on his cheeks and he does not want Namjoon to see that. "Besides, I don't like seeing you like that, so..."


 

 

"Why?"


 

 

"Because."


 

 

"Because?" Namjoon pushes. His heart was going crazy it amazed him that he wasn't dead yet.


 

 

Jimin in a sharp breath. He looked up right into Namjoon's eyes with watery eyes he didn't even realize he had.


 


 

 

 

"Because I like you, hyung. I like you a lot. I've liked you for a long time now. I couldn't tell you because I didn't want to ruin our friendship but I can't keep it to myself anymore. It's just that you're always so kind to me, you're funny when you don't mean to be, and there's a softness to you that's kinda hidden underneath the surface but is totally obvious as well. I hate seeing you have a hard time and I thought hugging you was the only thing I could do to help you since you didn't want to tell me what was wrong." Now Jimin could feel the tears about to spill but he holds them back, keeping his gaze locked with Namjoon's.

 

 


 

"And even though my feelings won't be reciprocated because I know you like Hoseokkie hyung, it's alright. I just want you to know that I like you. I really do."


 


 


 

 

Jimin winds his arms around Namjoon's waist again. Like some sort of a final hug.


 


 

 

 

"It's fine if you don't like me back, but know that I'll always be here for you. Okay?"


 


 


 

 

Though Namjoon was too stunned to say anything, his body doesn't forget to reciprocate the hug this time. Wordlessly, he wraps his arms around Jimin and hugs him tight. Jimin tenses for a second, but relaxes into the hug soon enough. Namjoon finally feels like everything really is alright with the world.


 

 

Namjoon bends a little and whispers into Jimin's ear, "You have no idea how happy you just made me."


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 

When Namjoon gets home, the first thing his mom asks him is "How was today?"


 

 

He just smiles and tells her, "Today really was the day."


 

 

 

 

 

 

And later on, when he gets to his room, he whispers to himself, almost giddily, "And tomorrow's the date!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

/end.
dedicated to BlueeWings bc she requested this! sorry if i failed u tho ;___;