Clouds

One Year Later

 

            “Class, we have a transferee student. He just moved here in Seoul from Busan. Please, come here and introduce yourself.” The homeroom teacher gestured the bright person to the podium at the front. He attentively rose up from his chair and walked to the front humbly, but still with confidence. He looked straight at Eunhee as soon as he reached the front.

            He bowed lowly with a bright smile and greeted the class, “Annyeong hasseyeo~ Park Chanyeol imnida! Everyone, please take care of me for the rest of the school year.” He quickly dipped his head. “And please don’t hesitate to be friends with me. Kamsahamnida~” He bowed again this time. He returned to his seat shortly after.

            Ah… Park Chanyeol, huh? “Nice to meet you Park Chanyeol.” Eunhee looked backed and received again a bright smile.

            It was in the middle of math class. Like her usual routine, Eunhee would doze off involuntarily which is the reason of her below average grades in that subject. No matter how hard she tries to stay awake she will still end up counting sheep.

            The school bell rang which made the students jump in their seats a little, even the teacher, but Eunhee didn’t. Her classmates tried waking her up, but she didn’t even budge. It was as if she was dead.  The teacher shook his head in disappointment.

            By the time she woke up, the room was empty. She went out only to find the corridors empty and silent as well. Her stomach grumbled. Ah… I just remembered. I didn’t eat breakfast.

            As always, the cafeteria was noisy and messy. Eunhee searched for an empty table after she got her meal. She found one at the corner of the room. She positioned herself facing the wall, and as soon as she sat down, she paused a little. Her face fell.

            Chanyeol just came in the cafeteria. He carefully but quickly searched the room, hoping to see Eunhee, his face lit up. He swiftly crept nearer and nearer at her back. Just as when Eunhee was about to feed herself the first spoon, she felt someone was lurking behind her. She looked back still holding the spoonful near her wide-open mouth, and then with a blink of an eye, Chanyeol intentionally frightened her. Eunhee let out a shrieking squeal and dropped the greasy food on her skirt.

            “CHANYEOL!!!” She yelled while laughing, but with frustration too.

            “HAHAHA I’M SO SORRY! HAHAHA!” Chanyeol’s breathless laughter drew attention from the crowds in the cafeteria.

            Eunhee patiently waited for his laughter to tone down a little bit. “Was my face that epic for you to lose your breath??”

            “Ye- HAHA- Yes it was! HAHAHAHAHA.” He slowly calmed down and kneeled on the floor.

           He reached in his pocket and took out his stark-white handkerchief. Eunhee was about to stop him but seeing his innocent face prevented her from doing so. He was still giggling as he was wiping off the mess on Eunhee’s skirt. His childish grin slowly vanished. Eunhee just sat still, stiff. Her heart was beating faster. Her cheeks were burning red while she was examining his face.

           “Your voice differs from your face.” She blurted out unconsciously with an expressionless face.

           “Huh?” Chanyeol got distracted and looked up.

           “I mean… your voice, it’s deep – and your face is-…” She slowly raised her hand with her limp finger pointing out.

           “Yeah, I get that a lot.” Chanyeol was a bit embarrassed by Eunhee’s little remark, but he just lightly laughed it off. “There, done! It’s not exactly clean but…” He shrugged his shoulders with his mouth’s corners pointing downward. He stood up and sat on the other side of the table. “Haha, were you really that surprised?” He chuckled.

           “Of course not, I just pretended that I was to prevent you from embarrassment.” Eunhee smirked.

           “Awe, really?” He pouted.

           “Of course I was, babo!” her expression changed in a flash.

           “For a moment there, I really thought you were pretending. You still got shocked even though you already saw me. You were like…” Chanyeol laughed and imitated Eunhee’s reaction a while ago.

           “Ha-ha-ha, so funny.” Eunhee stressed the tone of the sarcasm in her sentence.

           “I know right?” Chanyeol replied in a mocking way.

           Eunhee started to gobble on her meal. Chanyeol gawked at her, then snickered afterwards.

           “What?” Eunhee halted and lifted her head.

           “It’s just that you’re the only girl I know who eats like that.” He tilted his head to the right whilst laying his back against the chair.

           “Oh… sorry.” Eunhee flustered. She put down her spoon at once and averted her eyes from his.

           “Wait! Nononono.” He shook his head and waved his hands. “I thought it was interesting.” He paused a little. “Wait did I describe that right?” He mumbled. “I thought it was… cute?”

           Eunhee was surprised by his fair compliment. She blushed. Everyone is always telling her that she eats like a pig (sometimes a monster), or she eats like there’s no tomorrow. Shortly, her face went blank, and then it fell again. Chanyeol was taken aback by her sudden change of mood.

           “What’s wrong?”

           “Nothing.” She smiled halfheartedly.

           “Sure?”

           “Ne.”

           Chanyeol wasn’t convinced, but he changed the topic anyway. “By the way, since I’m new here and…” He cut his sentence.

           “And…?”

           “And you’re my first friend here-“

           “Wait, I’m already your friend?”

           “Oops? Sorry. Let’s use acquaintance then…” He drew invisible quotation marks in the air with his fingers.

           “So…?” Eunhee doesn’t see where he’s trying to get at.

           “I guess I deserve a tour from you here in this school?”

           “Oh, I guess you do.” She tried to continue eating.

           But Chanyeol stood up, “Well then come on!”, grabbed her wrist and dragged her out of the cafeteria.

           “Hey! Slow down!” Eunhee heavily chased her breath when they got out of the campus building. Her body became warm, but around her wrist was still warmer. “Why in a such hurry?” She asked, still catching her breath.

           Chanyeol recovered. He just blinked at her and answered, “Dunno.”, then simply smiled and shrugged.

           “Anyways, where do you want to start?” Eunhee dusted her blouse and skirt, pulled down her blouse.

           “I don’t know. You decide.”

           “Um, I’m not very good at doing tours.” She scratched the top of her head.

           “Oh I know! We go to each parts of this campus accordingly to their significance to you.” Instead of letting go of her hand, Chanyeol’s grip grew tighter because of his excitement. Eunhee realized he might be the type of person who gets excited over small things so easily, just like a kid. She smiled realizing that.

           “Then that’d mean us roaming in zigzag directions in this ridiculously huge school!”

           “I don’t mind.”

           “Okay then… Sounds good to me. Let’s go.” She turned towards the school gate and started walking ahead. She dragged Chanyeol with her chin up. “This is for exhausting me for no reason at all.” She joked. They halted in front of the gate. The school’s gate was really tall (for Eunhee, that is), about six feet and roughly five inches high. It was in a glossy forest green color. You could tell that it’s really old. The forest green color was chipping off which made the original color of the gate peek through, dusty brick red. Chanyeol and Eunhee both looked up at the height of the gate.

           "So… Has the tour started yet? Or am I just early?” He blinked at Eunhee.

           “Mianhe. Seeing this gate brings me back so much memories.” Chanyeol narrowed his eyebrows out of curiosity. “It was the first day of school, and I already got four wounds – two on each elbows, and two on each knees. This is also where I had my first encounter with my first (and hopefully last) stalker. Oh and on the opposite side of this, over there,” she pointed outside, “I was about to be hit by a furiously racing car while I was crossing.” She went on and on. By the sound of her stories, it was as if bad luck is raining on her in that certain area. Eunhee just sniggered afterwards.

           “How could you even tell all that with such a happy expression?!” His eyes rounded.

           “I don’t know. I guess these walls just grew in me.” She turned to Chanyeol and gave him a quick eye-smile along with a grin. She looked away again. “Hmm… where to go next? OH I KNOW!” She pulled him again. They went for the gymnasium this time. Nobody was there. All there were several carts of different kinds of sports equipment. Chanyeol patiently stared at Eunhee. He was waiting for her to tell the next chapter. She finally spoke, still with a bright face, “This is where I got my first bullying experience.”

           “YOU WERE A BULLY?”

           “NO, YOU GOOF! I was the one who got bullied of course!”

           “OH… Of course of course.” He nodded intensely. “BUT WAIT THAT’S STILL NOT GOOD. Why were you bullied??”

           “Meh…” She shrugged. “I don’t know exactly. I didn’t bother knowing the reason. But my teachers always told me that people bully other people because they have insecurities. If that’s the case, then I wonder what were they insecure of. And… why me?”

           “You’re asking just now?”

           Eunhee disregarded his comment and added, “But other than that, I had some pretty good darn memories here too. C’mon let’s hurry to the next.”

           “I’m starting to get tired~” Chanyeol whined.

           “You deserve it.” She teased.

           After running countless hallways, two staircases, they arrived in front of a tall shiny mahogany door.

           “This used to have a big label on the upper part of this door.” She was about to open the door. But then the unanticipated school bell rang. “Aw man! Next time, I guess.” Eunhee regarded that room as the most significant among all the areas in that school. She walked away with remote disbelief. She was still holding on to Chanyeol. Wow, another mood swing,he thought.

           “What room was that anyway?”

           “That was the music room.” She said looking down. Eunhee was anticipating telling Chanyeol all the adventures she experienced within the six walls of that room. “My most significant.” She slowed her pace a bit. “But there’s always a next time.” She accelerated again.

           “You like music?” Chanyeol asked with much curiosity. But it wasn’t loud enough for Eunhee to hear.

           I didn’t feel like it was a tour, honestly. He smiled in awe.