Red Velvet Cake [Red Velvet without Yeri]

Sunny's Sweet Bakery
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You are back just in time! Sit down, my friend! I have so many things to tell you today. Do you remember the last time we talked? Right, you do remember. You are such a good listener. Do you remember when I told you this? 

Each of the cakes in this bakery seems to connect different people.

Yes, you do remember. I also told you that I would tell you about that some other time and that time has come now. You better have a sit because this may take long, but before we start, let me invite you to a slice of red velvet cake. This cake is the main point of the story, so it will help us to situate this better.

 

 

 

Every Wednesday by 18:00, these girls come by and order a slice of red velvet cake each.

These girls though didn't know each other before they met thanks to this bakery.

That's their story.

 

 

 

This happened a year ago.

August had just started and the sun was shining so bright that everyone was looking for the shadows as they walked down the streets of Hongdae. Some of the customers came in to avoid the sunlight of this hot summer, specially the foreigners.

That girl didn't look like a foreigner though, but she kind of was. Her name is Wendy. She had been coming by and we usually talked about recipes. She told me that she loved baking but she had no interest in making it her profession. She liked to sing and dance. She was also cool at playing the guitar, but she wasn't ambitious on becoming a musician. She wanted to live a healthy, simple life. She enjoyed the smallest things and she wanted to follow her heart and simply finish her college studies.

I met her when I let her put a sign on the glass of the English lessons she was doing to earn money for her new guitar.

I invited Wendy over the first day of August because she had trouble baking a certain cake. We met early in the morning and we started cooking. I let her do it by herself, just saying some advices when I felt there were things she could improve.

Which cake? That's right! A red velvet cake!

When she ended baking, the result was a small red velvet cake that looked really delicious. 

"What do you want to do with it? We can pack it so you can bring it home."

"Hm..." Wendy gave it a thought as she placed her index finger on her chin. "If I get home with a cake, my parents will get really mad at me. I have been baking a lot lately and my dad has gained some weight."

"Hmmm..." I tried to think of a solution and it suddenly popped into my mind. "Oh! How about this? You get a slice home and we sell the rest in the bakery. That way, instead of more cakes, you will have some money for yourself so you can earn money for your new guitar!"

"You wouldn't mind? I already borrowed your ingredients and your time, I don't know if it would be fair if I took the money too."

I chuckled at her cute shyness. This girl is adorable! Like really adorable! Look at those cheekbones. She's so sweet like the red velvet cake.

"Honey please, your cake is fabulous! It's small, but the quality is the same as the ones I make. I don't really care about the ingredients. Come on, Wen, accept my offer" I put on my best cutie pout and she couldn't resist but agree with a smile. I raised my fists to celebrate it and she giggled at my antics.

When we cut the cake, we realized that it was so small that we could only take four slices out of it. It was the same size as a cupcake. 

I waved goodbye at Wendy as she got out of the store. 

 

 

 

An hour later, Bae Joohyun entered the bakery.

She's a college student in her fourth year. She's so short and she has this gentle smile that she flashes at everyone. She's so tender and nice. I still don't know what she studies though, since whenever we talk we don't have great conversations. However, we do ask each other how we are doing and she makes me feel like she genuinely cares about me. She's that kind of girl you want to keep close.

And if you are wondering, yes, Joohyun was the first girl who ordered Wendy's red velvet cake.

She likes to be called Irene though, but at that time, she hadn't been called that yet. It was a nickname Wendy put for her.

But well, that comes later. Let me tell you about Wendy's cake first.

 

 

 

Right after Joohyun left, Kang Seulgi came in. They bumped into each other at the entrance and Joohyun flashed her a smile as she muttered an apology. Seulgi stood there, astonished for a couple of seconds before she entered the store.

"What are my eyes witnessing? Is that the bear who stopped hibernation just to come by?"

"Bears hibernate in winter, honey" She raised her sassy eyebrow as she smirked at me. She leaned her elbows on the counter. "What do you have for me, Sunny?"

"All of these!" I stretched my arms and pointed at the whole store. "What do you want to get, Seulgi?"

"Well, well, well..." She muttered, placing her hands on her hips as she examined the whole counter. She raised her eyebrow at the sight of the small red velvet cake covered with a light fondant. "What about that one?"

I gave her a grin and nodded my head.

"Good choice! It's a special cake."

"Special?" She tilted her head to the side, furrowing her eyebrows. 

Just for you to know, Seulgi's eyebrow game is too strong.

"You will have to try it to know."

 

 

 

An hour later, Park Sooyoung came in when I was talking to Seohyun, who had just entered the bakery and was rambling with me about her date with Yoona. Lovebirds, you know?

I don't know what goes on with the girls who have that name, but all of them seem to be crazy about food. She likes to be called Joy, so that way I won't have trouble if Choi Sooyoung and her are in the bakery at the same time. It hasn't happened yet, but you know, it's kind of a relief.

Joy had just eaten what I assumed - by her buckett of KFC - that was chicken and was looking for something sweet for dessert. 

"Hey, Sun! What's with the English lessons announced over there? Are you the one giving them?" Joy asked as she leaned her free hand on the counter.

"No, but the teacher is just perfect. She's from Canada."

"Uh, a foreigner? Does she speak korean?" She furrowed her eyebrows, unsure if it would be a good idea.

"Sure! Her name is Son Seungwan, also known as Wendy."

"Oh!" She seemed more pleased with that fact. "Okay, I'll give her a call." 

She then examined the counter and she pointed at the only slice left of the red velvet cake. I smiled as I thought how would Wendy react when she knew that all the slices of her small cake got sold.

After giving her the change, she received the box with the cake and she turned around to leave.

"That cake looked so different from the ones you usually bake" Seohyun commented when the raven haired left.

"You never stop amazing me, Seo. That's right. That wasn't baked by me." 

Seohyun's eyes widened.

"Then who did?"

I flashed a smile at her.

"There are a lot of secrets in this bakery. I'll tell you eventually."

She pouted at my mysterious tone but she nodded her head in agreement. 

 

Don't worry, sweetheart. I did tell her when everything turned out alright. 

Which made her believe that my bakery is more magical.

I sometimes wonder if it really is that magi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter