Chocolate Espresso Cake [Hyoyeon]

Sunny's Sweet Bakery
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Here's the girl once again. It's the third time she has entered the bakery this week and we are by Wednesday now. Her blonde hair is messier as days goes by. It's such a pity. She's really beautiful, but she doesn't seem to be in the best moment of her life. I can sense it. She's just not in the same page as the people who step into this bakery.

I smile at her when she comes up to the counter, but she doesn't look at me in the eyes. She points at the same piece of cake she had ordered last time - the Chocolate Espresso Cake. With a nod, I comply her request and in no time, I have the slice of her cake on the box, ready to go.

"I hope you have a really nice day" I say as I hand her the box, shooting her another smile. She gives me a small glare before turning her back on me and getting out of the bakery. I take the money she has left on the counter and sigh as I rub my hands together - this girl is going to be a difficult one, but I'm Sunny Lee. There's no way I can miss at helping that blonde girl out. It's going to be a piece of cake!

*giggles* I'm sorry. I can be as cheesy as my cheesecake sometimes.

My name is Lee Soonkyu, but I have always thought that name made me sound older, so I changed it for Sunny. It has been three years since I opened this bakery, right after I finished my studies. Because of my insistency in helping people out, people claim that my bakery is somehow magic. I just happen to be there at the right place and the right time. 

Just right in time, here's the girl who believes most in my magic - Seo Juhyun, better known as Seohyun. She's some years younger than me - I have never actually asked her how old she is. I met her when she ordered her first cake, which happened to be her own birthday cake. Since she didn't put her age on the cake, I still don't really know. It's not like I care though. I like the mystery of getting to know about her casually each time she comes for a visit.

What was a young girl like her ordering her own birthday cake for herself? Well, that's an interesting story. But I guess I'll leave that for later, okay? There's time enough to not rush things.

Seohyun walks up to the counter and she flashes me her gentle, innocent smile.

"Good morning, Sunny!" 

"What a wonderful morning it is since you came to visit, Seohyun!" I greet back as I wave my hand at her. She leans her elbows on the counter and she stares at the cakes bellow.

"Hmm, what do you suggest me to bring Yoona?"

"Yoona? She's a food lover. She'll take whatever you bring her."

She gives it a thought before she shrugs and nods in agreement. She reaches for her purse and she takes her wallet out. 

"Then give me a Banana Split Cupcake. I think she will love that."

"Agreed!" I exclaim with a wide smile.

Yoona is Seohyun's girlfriend. Her full name is Im Yoona. I know she's a little bit older than her - perhaps some months, not a big gap really. But both of them look so innocent and cute together. When the two of them come at the bakery together, they sit at one of the tables and they feed each other just like love birds. As I take the mentioned cupcake and place it inside the box carefully, I take the chance to ask Seohyun about what has been bothering me lately. "Haven't you bumped into a blonde in your way to the bakery?"

Seohyun blinks once and twice.

"Yes, in fact I have. Why?"

"I have been worried about her lately. She has been coming here for some weeks and she's ordering the same cake everyday. It wouldn't be a problem if she didn't look that depressed."

"She did seem depressed, yeah" Seohyun mutters as she brings her index finger to her lips in a cute pout.

"Do you happen to know her?"

"Me? No, no. I don't know her" She replies and she look as disappointed as I probably look myself.

"I wish I could help her out."

"You will surely find a way to do so" Seohyun grins. I finish packing her cupcake and I put it inside a plastic bag before I hand it to her. 

"I hope so. Anything else, my darling?"

"No, I just wanted a little something to bring Yoona at the library. You know how this girl is. She's working herself out with the exams."

"Give her a smack on the shoulder when you see her" I joke. Seohyun chuckles and she hands me the money. I give her back some of the coins as I add an special discount on her order. She looks at me with confusion all over her face, her eyebrows furrowing. 

"What-"

"A special discount for my special customer."

Seohyun's mouth forms a perfect 'O' and she bursts into giggles. She hangs the bag from her arm and she waves her hand at me.

"Have a nice day, Sunny."

"Everyday, it's a Sunny day!" I exclaim. It's my signature greet, so I usually say it to every customer. I should have said it to the blonde girl. Perhaps that would have made her day brighter.

She grins at me before she turns around to leave. I really hope she smacks Yoona on the shoulder for overworking herself. She did that once and she ended up really badly. But well, that's another story, right? I will tell you about it someday, my friend. 

We have plenty of time in the Sunny's Sweet Bakery.

 

 

 

Before we go further in the story though, I must tell you a little bit about myself. I was born and raised by my mother, since my father has always been busy working overseas. In fact, I was born in the United States because of that. My mother learned a lot about bakery in America while she was dealing alone with the pregnancy. That's why I started to learn how to bake when I was about six years old. 

If Masterchef Junior had existed when I was a kid, I think I would had been the first Masterchef Junior of South Korea.

We went back to Jinju when I was barely a year old but I decided to open my bakery at the capital because I studied there at one of the most prestigious academies of the country. I fell in love with this city and I haven't been able to leave since then. I still visit my mother from time to time in Jinju - what kind of daughter would I be if I didn't? 

What made me fall in love with this city is its people. There are so many stories happening at the same time. As I lean on the counter, I can see all the people walking around by the windows of the store. I can see the people who lean on the glass and point at certain sweets. School girls, high schoolers, young college students, independent young people, people with stylish clothes. 

Out of all of the places where the bakery could be situated, I decided to be in Hongdae. I have always loved this area. There's always something going on in here. Yesterday, for example, the idol group T-ARA held a free hugs event right in front of the bakery. I closed the store for ten minutes just to bring them some muffins. They couldn't eat it all because of their strict diets, but they were really thankful.

I love the fact that many foreigners live in the hostels of this town. They sometimes enter the store and they try to order by pointing at what they want. I can speak English quite well, so there's never a problem about that.

That's pretty much what I wanted to tell you now. But well, my friend, we will get to know each other more as time goes by. I can see in your eyes that you are a little bit hungry now. I think it's about time for me to invite you to something. 

It's my treat, okay? You don't need to pay me. 

It's the least I can do now that you are listening to my story.

 

 

 

So it's Thursday and she's here again. Blonde hair in a messy ponytail and she's even wearing a cap and some sunglasses. She hurries her way to the counter and she points at the same cake. She leans on the counter, her fingers tapping the glass.

"Wow, you really love that cake, don't you?" I smile at her as I cut a slice for her and place it inside the box.

"It's none of your business."

Quite rude, I know. But don't worry about me. I'm used to getting that.

"I'm sorry" I reply, apologizing deeply. 

She seems to realize that she has been that rude, since she stops her nervous tapping. 

"I'm sorry" She mutters, letting out a sigh.

"It's okay" I say, waving my hand to make sure she doesn't feel that sorry. "You were right, it's none of my business, but you have been ordering the same cake every single day and I was quite curious. I do have usual customers, but they change what they eat. But again, I know it's none of my business."

As I spoke, I managed to put the slice of cake inside the box and I'm not holding it out for her to grab it, but she doesn't move. I tilt my head to the side, since it's quite unusual.

"Wait a second" I say, holding back the bag. The girl is still standing there, frozen like a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter