Four

It Started With A Lie

 

 

 

 

It was Siwon's turn to wake up early. He couldn't help but smile as he looked at Donghae's sleeping form. He pulled the comforter over his head, feeling his cheeks burn with embarrassment as he remembered yesterday's event.

 

"What the hell?" Siwon muttered to himself, throwing the covers and deciding to take a morning run.

 

Siwon grabbed a small piece of paper and scribbled a quick message. He didn't want to spend the day apart, but he needed some time alone to clear his head from yesterday's emotional rollercoaster.

 

Went for a quick run. Will be back in a few minutes.

- Siwon

 

Siwon crept out of the room carefully to avoid waking Donghae up. He spent about half an hour both exploring and running around the spacious backyard of Donghae's family. He made a beeline for the kitchen as soon as he came back, hoping to talk to Donghae's brothers for a planned surprise. He found Kangin and Leeteuk bickering over a pot on the stove.

 

Kangin peered into the pot and made a face. "I'm not eating that," he said.

 

"You don't have a choice, Youngwoon-ah," said Leeteuk sternly. "The doctor said you needed to cut down on fat and increase your vegetable portions."

 

"Well, yeah, but how can I eat something that looks like boiled grass?!"

 

Leeteuk's eyes narrowed. "Are you trying to imply something about my cooking?"

 

Siwon coughed. The pair turned to him immediately.

 

"Siwon-ah!" Leeteuk smiled at him. "You woke up quite early today."

 

"I went for a morning jog," said Siwon. "Helped ease my mind a bit."

 

Leeteuk frowned. "Are you and Hae still fighting?"

 

"On the contrary..." Siwon rubbed his nape. "I'm planning to take him out for dinner. And I wanted to ask your help for--"

 

"Ohh! How exciting!" Leeteuk exclaimed with a clap of his hands, his eyes glimmering at Siwon's words. "I'll help you out any way I can. Ohh, I so can't wait to hear all about it...!"

 

Siwon looked at Kangin with wary apprehension. The other man shook his head and mouthed Now you've done it! over Leeteuk's shoulder.

 

The oblivious Leeteuk pressed on. "When are you planning to do it? Have you reserved a restaurant?"

 

"No. But I want to keep it simple, for a change. Private. Quiet." Siwon scratched his cheek. "I don't know much about Mokpo, and Donghae has only ever talked about how great the sea is, so I have no idea about the local restaurants..."

 

"My brother's a fairly simple person, so simple, quiet and private is a good start. And a seaside restaurant sounds romantic." said Leeteuk thoughtfully. He looked at Kangin. "In which case, that guy's restaurant might be the best place, right?"

 

"Kibum's family restaurant," said Kangin, smacking his lips. "Good one, Jeong-su."

 

"Why don't you take Donghae to Oedaldo, Mokpo's love island, while Youngwoon and I make those dinner reservations for tomorrow?" Leeteuk said.

 

Siwon blinked. "Tomorrow?" he echoed.

 

"Yeah. Any Oedaldo trip with Donghae is a definite overnight stay."  Kangin grinned. "You'll understand when you tell him."

 

"Thank you," Siwon replied gratefully, waving goodbye as he hurried to return to Donghae's room.

 

Upon his return, Siwon noticed Donghae was still heavily asleep. Chuckling to himself, he took a quick bath. As soon as he was dressed in his simple khaki pants and white polo, he decided to wake Donghae. 

 

Siwon carefully knelt at the corner of Donghae's makeshift bed, and shook the sleeping man slowly.

 

"Donghae-ah," Siwon called gently, sweeping some stray hair away from Donghae's face.

 

Donghae stirred in his sleep before his eyes fluttered open and met Siwon's. Donghae let out an unmanly squeak before pulling the comforter over his head. Siwon chuckled, forcing the comforter and Donghae out of his hiding spot.

 

"Come on, we're heading out." Siwon said.

 

"O-okay," Donghae replied.

 

Donghae attempted to fix his bed before Siwon swatted the comforter away from his hands and shooed him to take his bath.

 

"Where are we heading?" Donghae asked as he rummaged for a set of clean clothes.

 

"Your hyung suggested we head to Oedaldo." Siwon replied.

 

"We're going camping?" Donghae squeaked, his tone excited.

 

"I'm not sure." Siwon said, surprised at Donghae's sudden cheerfulness. And no one said anything about camping!

 

"Well, it's Oedaldo, so we are." Donghae said with finality as he shut the door to the bathroom.

 

Siwon could only blink in confusion. Well, that explained why the reservations were for tomorrow.

 

 


 

 

Siwon smiled forcefully as they headed to the infamous love island. He had no qualms about traveling at sea, but the ferry to Oedaldo was small and packed. His only consolation was Donghae bouncing in excitement beside him.

 

"You can see my high school from here," Donghae said enthusiastically, flinging his arms everywhere and pointing at several places at once.

 

Siwon could only nod trying to keep his nausea at bay. He tightened his grip on the railing and forced himself to listen to Donghae's ramblings.

 

Donghae suddenly placed his hand on top of Siwon's, loosening Siwon's right hand and taking it into both his hands. "You should've said something before we boarded the ferry."

 

"Hmm?" Siwon answered, distracted by the way Donghae was his fingers.

 

"I know you hate crowds, so why did you want to head to Oedaldo?" Donghae asked. "We didn't have to go, if you're not--"

 

Siwon shook his head in disagreement. "It's just a short ride, Donghae-ah. And I know you've been wanting to play in the waters."

 

"Thank you," Donghae said quietly.

 

Siwon was somewhat able to relax as Donghae continued to distract him with small touches that made Siwon think of other things instead of the crowd around him. And before they knew it, the ferry was docking in the island.

 

 


 

 

Siwon hefted their bag over one shoulder as soon as they arrived. Donghae ran into the sea, splashing the waters and playing around like a little child. Siwon could only snigger and wonder how Donghae could have been the same person working for him in Devil.

 

Donghae, upon hearing Siwon's laughter, grinned to himself before splashing water towards Siwon's direction. Siwon mildly gasped before placing their bag in a secure area of the beach and running away from Donghae. Although he tried his best to escape, he got caught in the end and both of them started playing around in the water, despite being fully clothed.

 

A few minutes later, Donghae and Siwon decided to sit on the beach to rest. Both were somewhat wet, and the sand was started to cling everywhere, especially their clothes. Donghae laid down in the sand, a smile still plastered to his face.

 

"Ah! So relaxing!" Donghae said, lifting a hand towards the sky.

 

Siwon stared at a distance, as tourists and locals alike continued to fill up the island.

 

"We should probably dress into a more comfortable attire." Donghae said, making a move to stand up.

 

Donghae stood directly in front of Siwon covering his view of anything and stretched out his hand. "C'mon, I'll show you around the beach after we dress up."

 

The two headed towards the public restrooms to change into some board shorts and comfy tees. Donghae was already waiting several minutes after Siwon had finally struggled out of his wet and sand-filled pants. Donghae was used to changing under the same circumstances, as he often ran to the waters in full clothing in his younger years.

 

"There's not much to see here, but do you want to head to the lighthouse?" Donghae asked, looking anywhere but at Siwon's very defined muscles.

 

"Sure, why not?" Siwon replied.

 

Donghae led Siwon to a small path which divided the beach to the left and the mountains to the right. They continued walking until they spotted the little lighthouse and stopped to survey the view.

 

"Thank you again for bringing me here, Siwon-ah." Donghae said.

 

"I wanted to take you out, just the two of us, to make up for yesterday." Siwon replied.

 

Donghae breathed deeply, closing his eyes at the soft touch of the midafternoon breeze. "The last time I was here was when Appa was still alive." Donghae shared. "I already came out to the family and he took me here because he wanted to be the first one to do so."

 

"You didn't come here when you and..." Siwon started but then decided to stop himself.

 

"No. You're the first one outside the family."

 

"I would have loved to have met your father." Siwon said, deliberately changing the subject as he forced to hide his grin after Donghae's revelation.

 

"Me too. He would be amazed with all your stories." Donghae said wistfully. "I came to Seoul to continue his dreams, but in the end I wasn't even able to show my accomplishments."

 

"Hey!" Siwon interrupted, turning Donghae so they were facing each other. "You made it. Your father would have been so proud. Never think otherwise."

 

"Thanks, Siwon-ah." Donghae looked away to hide the blush from Siwon's never ending compliments. "We should set-up our tent before all the good spots are taken." Donghae said.

 

 


 

 

Donghae sat at the sides, watching Siwon struggle with their tent. He tried offering his help, but Siwon said he had everything under control, when clearly he didn't.

 

"Maybe I should..." Donghae started making a move to grab one of the poles but stopped as soon as he received a glare from Siwon.

 

"I'm fine," Siwon growled, connecting the poles unsuccessfully.

 

Donghae could only shake his head as he allowed Siwon to continue his battle with the tent.

 

Donghae opened the basket of food his mother had somehow sent to Oedaldo. He shuddered as he read the attached letter, feeling his mother's frustration for not informing her of the sudden trip. She must've bribed someone just to deliver the basket to them. Then again, at least they could enjoy the sunset and dinner in their tent, as soon as Siwon decided to admit defeat building it.

 

"I'm going to go grab some drinks. Hopefully you've made some progress when I get back." Donghae said, tired of watching Siwon running back and forth assembling the tent.

 

"Damnit, how hard could this be?!" Siwon muttered to himself, as he finally pieced together the poles and was now inserting them into their corresponding flaps.

 

By the time, Donghae returned from buying drinks, Siwon was already struggling to raise the tent. Donghae placed the drinks and a guitar he borrowed from the shop owner beside their basket and rushed to Siwon's opposite side. This time, Siwon acknowledged Donghae's hand and the two of them were able to straighten and raise the tent.

 

Immediately after staking the tent securely, Siwon went inside to lie down and enjoy his hard work.

 

"Just in time for the sunset!" Donghae said, as he grabbed two cokes and his guitar.

 

Donghae sat inside the tent as Siwon made some space for him. He dangled the cold drink in front of Siwon and smiled as the sky slowly turned into orange to signal the end of the day. 

 

Donghae strummed the guitar and a relaxing tune engulfed them.

 

When morning comes and the sunlight wraps around us

Even if I don’t get up, don’t wake me up

Touch me like the spring wind, everything about you is beautiful

I’ll pull you in like this oh baby and whisper that I love you

 

Siwon sat up in surprise as he heard Donghae's singing voice. He resisted the urge to just stare at Donghae like a starstruck fan, and diverted his attention to the ongoing sunset.

 

"You have a nice voice," Siwon said, as Donghae finished his song.

 

"Thank you," Donghae replied shyly. "Do you know how to play the guitar?"

 

Siwon slowly took the guitar from Donghae.

 

As Siwon randomly strummed the guitar, Donghae shared. "Heechul-hyung, Henry-ah and I, we were all taught the guitar by Appa. We went on camping trips, play the guitar all night and Omma will prepare the delicious food."

 

"My father doesn't know I play the guitar." Siwon said, as he stopped playing. "It was an act of rebelliousness on my side during my younger years."

 

Donghae looked at Siwon in question.

 

"My father used to say that playing the guitar will bring no profit to the company." Siwon continued. "The clients wouldn't be impressed with my guitar skills, and they'd rather play a game of poker or golf."

 

"Sometimes playing an instrument can help ease our minds, just like reading a book. It won't necessarily please anyone, but it can make you happy." Donghae said. "I know you want to please your father, Siwon-ah. But you should be happy too, it is your life after all." Donghae continued as he offered his hand towards Siwon's direction.

 

Siwon stared at the hand and its hidden meaning before grabbing it and lightly squeezing it.

 

"Right now in this place with you, I am--happy."

 

 


 

 

They set off back to port early the next morning. The small ferry had less passengers, which made the ride less uncomfortable than the first. Donghae, on the other hand, was sleeping peacefully at his side. His head occasionally lolled onto Siwon's shoulder, and Siwon took it as a welcome distraction from discomfort.

 

To Siwon's bewilderment, Donghae's sleepiness immediately disappeared when the ferry docked on the main island. He had sprung up excitedly, dragging a dazed Siwon off the boat, only to run off to a row of shops and stalls a few meters off the docks. 

 

Siwon saw the overhanging sign, and groaned. He should've known that Donghae would be excited for the souvenir shops.

 

"We can get this design in pink for Sungmin. And get this toy for Shindong--look, Siwon-ah, they have discounts for these, too...!" 

 

Siwon groaned as Donghae dragged him to the next stall. If Siwon had his way, he would have ordered two or three designs in bulk and gave them as generic gifts. For Donghae, however, everything had to be special.

 

Donghae, oblivious to Siwon's exasperation, hummed thoughtfully at the rows of Mokpo-inspired keychains. He began to take them off the rack one by one, reciting the names of his colleagues as he did so--"We'll get one for Ryeowook-ah, for Changmin-ah, for Sooyung-ah..."

 

The shop owner chuckled beside Siwon. "If I didn't know Donghae-sshi, I would've mistaken him for a tourist!"

 

Donghae certainly looked more like a tourist than Siwon as they emerged from the shop a few minutes later, bags of souvenirs hanging from either arm. "We didn't forget anyone, did we?" He asked worriedly. 

 

Siwon rolled his eyes as he took a few bags from Donghae. "I think you've bought enough for the entire company," he said. 

 

They strolled leisurely through a few more shops. Siwon bought the odd souvenir every now and then (he got Minho and Kyuhyun sea-themed snowglobes filled with shells and tiny, colourful fish--"seaglobes", the shop owner called them), as Donghae happily chit-chatted with the owners and a few customers. 

 

"Time sure flies by," a motherly customer sighed. "You're now at that age, aren't you, Donghae-sshi?" She winked. "Any plans of getting married soon?" 

 

There was a loud clatter as Siwon dropped the pencil-case he was holding.

 

"Ummm..." Donghae glanced at Siwon desperately, but before Siwon could bail them out, a crowd of ahjumma had flocked around Donghae, tittering excitedly at the mention of "marriage".

 

"What's this? Hyangsook-sshi's son is finally tying the knot?"

 

"How exciting!"

 

"And I was hoping to introduce Sooyeon while Donghae-ah's here..."

 

"Wait, you've got it all wrong!" Donghae waved his hands. "I'm not getting married yet!"

 

The crowd became even livelier. 

 

"Are you looking for a girlfriend, Donghae-ah?"

 

"My daughter would love to meet you!"

 

"I'm going out with someone!" Donghae shouted, stunning the crowd of women to silence. "Um, sorry. I'm going out with someone," he repeated sheepishly. "I'm not really interested in dating anyone else..."

 

Donghae caught Siwon staring intently at him, and quickly looked away. The tip of his ears had turned bright red. It made Siwon's stomach flutter.

 

The ladies, on the other hand, exchanged knowing smiles. "How nice to be young and in love," said one. The rest nodded in agreement.

 

Siwon saw the opportunity to intervene. "Excuse me, ladies," he cut in smoothly. He wrapped an arm around Donghae's shoulders. "Sorry to interrupt, but Donghae-ah here is touring me around Mokpo. I'm afraid we've got to run..." 

 

Siwon put his dimpled smile to full effect. The trick seemed to work, as the ahjummas almost immediately nodded in agreement.

 

With a deep breath, Siwon added, "You know, I couldn't help overhearing your conversation earlier, about Donghae-ah's love life?" From the corner of his eye, Siwon could see Donghae's horrified face, but he pressed on. "Well, you're right. This man is a fantastic boyfriend. I can definitely vouch for it."

 

Siwon bowed and pulled Donghae out from the shop without looking back. 

 

They walked away from the souvenir shops, silent save for the plastic bags that crinkled merrily at their every step. They only stopped when they reached their car. Siwon let go of Donghae's hand then, and the pair finally looked at each other. 

 

Siwon was first to smile. "I can't believe I just saved a guy from a group of old women."

 

"Hey!" Donghae pouted. "There's no fighting them when they gang up on you like that!"

 

It was as if another wall between them was broken through. Siwon and Donghae broke into laughter.

 

"I didn't know you're so popular with the old ladies, Donghae-ah," Siwon teased.

 

Donghae stuck out a tongue. "What can I say? My charm cuts across all ages."

 

Siwon watched Donghae load their souvenirs into the car with a fond smile. With a surge of courage, he called out, "Hey, Donghae-ah?"

 

"Mmm?"

 

He ran a hand through his hair. "All the things I said back at the shop? I want you to know I meant them."

 

Donghae looked surprised by the confession, but his face quickly eased to a bright, generous smile. "Thank you, Siwon-ah. So did I."

 

 


 

 

Kangin took out a carton of orange juice from the fridge. "So? How was the Love Island?"

 

Siwon thought about Donghae's excited face as he ran out to sea. Remembered Donghae blushing before the ahjummas in the souvenir shop as he said, I'm not really interested in dating anyone else....

 

Whatever pain he had to endure to get there was definitely worth it.

 

"...Yeah. The smile on your face tells me everything I need to know, brother." 

 

"Huh?" Siwon's hands flew to his face. Was he becoming that obvious?

 

Kangin took a swig off the carton, and leant against the counter with a naughty grin. "I took Teukkie-ah to Oedaldo back when we were still dating." he said wistfully. "Man, the things we got up to. It was if the beach had changed Teukkie into a totally different person--"

 

He yelped when a dishtowel smacked the back of his head. "I remember it well, dear. I had a lovely time. And I told you not to drink juice off the carton!" said Leeteuk testily. He then smiled at Siwon. "I've made a reservation at Kibum's, Siwon-ah. You're all set for dinner."

 

Siwon grinned shyly. "Actually, I have one more favor to ask..."

 

 


 

 

Donghae stretched out with a contented groan as he finished packing away the last of their souvenirs. Siwon had since grown bored of watching him dither about his choice of gifts, and had stepped out to help out Kangin in the car shop. It was almost dinnertime, and Donghae thought he could invite Siwon to try out a local restaurant. He peeked into the kitchen, and spotted Henry and Leeteuk dicing ingredients and rolling them up into delicious-looking gimbap.

 

"Teukkie-hyung, Henry-ah, have you seen Siwon-ah?"

 

The brothers looked at each other. "He went out with Kangin-hyung," said Henry. "Ah, but he left this note for you." 

 

Donghae took the small piece of paper that Henry pulled out from his pocket. The note contained a short, simple message:

 

Join me for dinner at 7. Bada will lead the way.

 

Donghae raised his eyebrow, though he couldn't fight back the wide, flattered grin that spread across his lips. "Do you two know something about this?"

 

Henry looked away guiltily, while Leeteuk just rolled his eyes at him. "Hurry up and get dressed, he's waiting. And wear something nice but casual!" he added quickly, remembering the time when Donghae was invited to a movie date and he dressed up formally with a coat and tie.

 

Donghae only wished dressing up was that easy. Clothes and socks flew everywhere as Donghae dug into his closet, unsure of what to wear on his first official dinner date with Siwon. Most of his dress shirts were in his flat back in Seoul, so he was forced to choose between a gaily multi-colored floral shirt (a gift from Heechul), and a plain, three-quarter sleeve top which he had not worn in years. 

 

With a defeated sigh, he pulled the top over him and kicked off his shorts, hopping around as he slid into a pair of dark, tight-fitting jeans while searching for his shoes.

 

"You're going to hurt yourself." Heechul was leaning against the doorframe with his arms crossed, an amused smirk on his face.

 

"You are not helping," Donghae gritted. Where on earth are those damn shoes?

 

Heechul rolled his eyes and strode purposefully towards Donghae's bed. He leant down, tsked, and pulled out the missing pair of dress shoes.

 

"You're hopeless." Heechul sighed. "Put those on while I style your hair. Seriously, that city brat's going to get an earful from me when he gets back. He just sprung this half-assed plan on all of us..."

 

Donghae sat on the bed obediently as Heechul rummaged through his drawers. His eyes trailed towards the bedside table, where he spotted his hand-crafted gift, encased in a simple blue box. His chest tightened nervously.

 

They were leaving Mokpo in two days. The moment they step off the train onto Seoul, reason and propriety would pry Siwon away from him again, despite their marriage arrangement. Mokpo had to be locked away as a happy, cherished secret. It was now or never. 

 

Donghae took the box and slid it into his pocket.

 

Heechul finally turned around. He sized Donghae up with a bite of a lip before squirting some styling gel onto his hands. "Okay. Time to turn you into the hottest prince of them all, Cinderella."  

 

 


 

 

Leaving the house took some time. Leeteuk stopped him every once in a while to take photos, while Heechul kept on fussing over his hair, pushing back stubborn strands into their places. In the end, it took Henry's calm voice of reason  ("We're all excited for Hae-hyung, but he's going to be late!") to send him on his way.

 

Donghae slid into Bada and looked around for any clue on his destination, but found no note or map from Siwon. He started the car up with a frown. What on earth did Siwon mean by his note?

 

The small display brightened out to its welcome screen. Donghae waited for the screen to change into the standard dashboard, but to his surprise, it faded into something else. A map. It zoomed into Mokpo, and traced its route from Donghae's house to a place near the Maritime museum.

 

The gears clicked into place. Bada will lead the way.

 

"Let's get started," the GPS-navigated map announced, start and end points blinking on the screen. Donghae looked at his destination. He only knew of one restaurant near the Maritime museum...

 

He swallowed nervously as he made his way to Kibum's restaurant. After their misunderstanding, his feelings for Siwon seemed to have amplified, especially now that Siwon was showering him with attention.

 

Donghae had just made the last turn to Kibum's when the GPS announced, "Turn right in 100 metres."

 

Donghae blinked. He could see Kibum's restaurant at a distance, but it was surely more than a hundred metres away.

 

But the GPS insisted. "Turn right in 100 metres."

 

Donghae looked to his right. He spotted a small road that branched off to the side, inconspicuous until the GPS pointed it out. Donghae wondered if Siwon had configured the GPS incorrectly. It was unlike Siwon to make a mistake like that, however.

 

With a shrug, Donghae turned right onto the small road. 

 

The trees lined the road thinly, and through the gaps he could see the flat expanse of the sea. The patch eventually cleared out into a wide, open space of dark sand. In the middle of it was a small, stone pavilion, bright and inviting with the warm, flickering glow of candle-light. Donghae spotted one of their cars parked to the side. He parked beside it, his heart pounding loudly with disbelief and excitement. 

 

He stifled a gasp as he reached the entrance, where a grinning Kangin held a bouquet of roses. "We've been waiting," he winked, and placed the bouquet in Donghae's arms. A small card was wedged between the flowers. Donghae flipped it over.

 

Just a little more, it read.

 

Kangin patted him on the back. "You kids behave, alright? You're all alone out here, after all."

 

"Kangin-hyung!" Donghae protested.

 

Kangin sniggered. "I'll be nearby if you need anything."

 

Donghae watched Kangin drive away, then turned to face the pavilion. Siwon is waiting in there. With a deep breath, he patted the small package in his pocket, and slowly gathered up his courage as he made his way down the candle-lit path.

 

 


 

 

Siwon almost spilt his drink when he read Kangin's text.

 

He's here.

 

Siwon jumped up and flitted around to ensure everything was perfect. He flattened the tablecloth, straightened out the utensils, re-arranged the dishes. The rush of panic was unlike him, and he was glad there was no one around to witness it.

 

Thank God for Kangin and Leeteuk, who were both extremely knowledgeable about Mokpo's romantic spots. Kangin had arranged for the food to be served at the small pavilion, where there was greater privacy and intimacy, while Leeteuk and Siwon worked on the flower and candle arrangements. They waved Siwon off when he asked how he could repay them for all their help.

 

"Just do your best for Donghae-ah. That's all we want," said Kangin seriously.

 

Over the last few days, Siwon had begun to gradually understand that his feelings for Donghae were not just some passing attraction. He genuinely, desperately wanted to learn more, to spend more time with Donghae. To make him laugh, blush, want. To make him love--

 

Don't go there, said a snide voice in Siwon's head. How could he, when you forced him into this arrangement?

 

Siwon smiled bitterly. That's right. Donghae deserves better.

 

Siwon was snapped out of his thoughts by the sound of footsteps. He looked up, and what he saw made his chest drum quicker.

 

Donghae was clutching the bouquet he prepared, his face open with wonder and disbelief. The shadows sharpened his nose and his cheekbones, and the warm light danced in his eyes. They fell unto Siwon's, and Donghae broke into a bright smile.

 

"So this is why you left me alone to deal with the souvenirs," he accused jokingly. "A dinner at Kibum's."

 

The lightness of Donghae's tone unraveled the tight knot in Siwon's stomach. He grinned back. "Much more enjoyable, don't you think?"

 

Donghae's eyes crinkled. "It most definitely is."

 

 


 

 

Conversation flowed easily between them as they talked about Kibum's exceptional cuisine. Kibum had served them a feast of Korean specialties--they had Gogigui, Sundubu Jjigae, Nakji Bokkeum, and Jjinmandu, Kibum's specialty. Siwon had some reservations when he first saw the restaurant, but he was glad to be proven wrong.

 

"I knew Kibum from college," said Donghae. "He was offered a good management position in Seoul, but he had to turn it down for his family restaurant."

 

"It must have been a difficult decision," said Siwon.

 

"You're in a similar situation, too," Donghae pointed out.

 

Siwon thoughtfully chewed on a Mandu. "I've always wanted to continue my father's business," he said. "It's that ridiculous marriage condition that was putting me off. It's frustrating, but I'm beginning to see some wisdom in the old man's ways... After all, it did give me a chance to meet your family and experience Mokpo with you." Siwon reached over and squeezed Donghae's wrist with a soft smile. "Thank you."

 

Donghae played with his fingers as he debated the perfect timing to give his present to Siwon. 

 

"Donghae-ah, is there something wrong?" Siwon asked as he noticed Donghae's uneasy behavior.

 

Donghae heaved a sigh, mentally preparing himself.

 

"I--," Donghae started, reaching for the box inside his jacket pocket. He took Siwon's hand into his own before placing the box with a snap. "Here."

 

Siwon carefully opened the box and lifted the silver bracelet. His eyes widened.

 

"Donghae-ah," he said, his voice catching in his throat. "It's... it's very beautiful."

 

"I--I made it in my workshop the other day." Donghae said, turning to survey their surroundings.

 

Siwon clasped the bracelet into his hand, smiling proudly at Donghae's creation.

 

"Thank you," Siwon said.

 

Siwon took Donghae by the chin and turned his face towards him. He slid his hand onto Donghae's cheek, and lightly caressed his face. They stared at each other without any words spoken.

 

Before Siwon realized what he was doing, he had leaned in to kiss Donghae on the lips.