Who are you? Batman?

Right To Remain Silent
Six. 
 
"No." The answer was so short, it almost left no room for argument. But Rovix knew better. He knew how to handle his employees. And this particular worker had been with him for almost as long as N had. They'd graduated from the police academy just a year apart. 
 
"I'm afraid it wasn't a request." Rovix answered, not even glancing up from his paperwork to look at the slightly annoyed detective. He'd earned the media name Leo because he was as fierce as a lion when he was on a case. He was also very intimidating. But Rovix knew better. He remembered the shy new recruit that had been stationed here not even a few years ago. "I'm putting my best people on this, that includes you Taekwoon." he said, signing a few documents before glancing up at the stiff man. 
 
Taekwoon kept his face expressionless, his hands folded neatly behind his back. Though his mind was reeling with responses and possible arguments. He worked alone. He couldn't have others slowing down his thought processes and constantly talking to him. He didn't even ask about who his 'team mates' would be because he down right refused to become apart of this task force. 
 
"I'll accept the case." the response was quiet, Taekwoon kept his voice steady, not wanting to give anything away. "But I will do it alone." he said, eyes watching Rovix's for a reaction. 
 
Rovix let a small smile curl onto his lips and shook his head, fully looking up from the whirlwind of paper lay on his desk. He placed down his pen and looked around him idly whilst thinking. His office was lined with book shelfs and certificates showing his advancements and struggles over the years. He often just looked at his environment when he was making a hard decision. It helped him think. 
 
Taekwoon watched his every movement, trying to read a response from the chief's expressions. However, no matter how hard he tried he couldn't read him. 
 
"I'll make a deal with you." Rovix's voice became slightly diplomatic as he automatically switched to business mode without bating an eyelash. Taekwoon tensed at the new tone of voice. He didn't hear this very often. Rovix continued. "I will let you do this alone." He said, Taekwoon blinked and opened his mouth to answer. "Only if the team leader is unable to convince you himself to join the task force." Rovix cut him off before he could answer. 
 
Taekwoon shut his mouth and considered the deal for a moment. He doubted that some random detective could convince him to go against his own reasoning. He swept a piece of hair behind his ear as he thought. "Okay." 
 
It was barely audible but Rovix heard it none the less. He nodded looking back down at his papers. "I believe you have a class of excited children to go see. Dismissed." he said with a small smile pulling at his lips. 
 
Taekwoon nodded, turning on his heel fluidly and stepping out of the room. He wouldn't be swayed, he'd go about his business like he usually did. 
 
Rovix smiled as Taekwoon left. Of course no random detective could handle the legendary Leo. However Cha Hakyeon was no random detective. He was just as stubborn as Taekwoon if not more so. Rovix had the upmost confidence that he'd convince Leo to join the task force. 
 
Taekwoon made his way slowly through the police station ignoring the whispers and stares as he went. It was always the same, so after a while he sopped listening. 
 
'Look, there he is. Leo.' 
 
'I heard he took down a human trafficking circle within his first month here..' 
 
'Yeah? Well I was told that he graduated a year early from the academy because of his skills...' 
 
It was all meaningless anyway. Whether or not it was true, Taekwoon refused to confirm nor deny any of the rumours surrounding or involving him. He only wanted to make the world a better place. He was doing so by putting dangerous people behind bars. Whether his efforts were insignificant in the grand scheme of things or not, he didn't care. He was here only to serve and protect. 
 
He was glad to finally reach his squad car. Even if he didn't necessarily need to drive one because he was a detective, he prefered to. He was proud of his profession. 
 
The drive to the school in the Hongdae district was quick, he didn't run into much traffic. He was acting as a representative from the police department. He only needed to go in and talk to the kids for a while. Answer a few questions whilst he was there. Despite his image, Taekwoon was quite fond of kids himself. He was an only child and never really had many friends but he always loved seeing children smile. They had this innocence about them. It was the thing everyone lost when they grew up, he missed it greatly. He felt happy when he saw it in others. 
 
He parked in front of the school and sighed softly checking himself before slipping out of his car. He knew that some of the kids may know about the Demon, he really wanted to avoid answering questions about that current case. He didn't want them to know. He couldn't feel responsible for tainting their innocence like that. 
 
The class that he was directed to was full of children, aged 9 and 10. They seemed eager to question him as he went through his presentation. He couldn't help but smile slightly at their faces, watching intently. His smile however, seemed to dim when the questions started. 
 
"What's it like being a detective?" 
 
"Do you have a gun?" 
 
"What are you doing about the bad man?" 
 
The teacher after that told them to be patient and give Taekwoon a chance to answer. He nodded to her, slightly thankful of her presence. 
 
The last question caught him slightly. He tilted his head to the side in confusion. He paused and looked at the first child. A young boy, staring at him in admiration. Taekwoon could tell, just from looking at him that this child was dreaming of becoming a policeman. 
 
"It feels like..." he paused looking for the right words. "...like you are making a difference. It feels good to know that what you are doing is helping other people, your neighbours and friends of course but even strangers." he said. Normally he wouldn't talk as much as he was now but he was speaking to children after all. He needed to make a good impression. "It feels good to help people." 
 
He turned to the second child and shook his head at the young brunette girl that seemed somewhat amazed by him. "I do have a gun." he said, feeling amusement by the gasps that followed. "But I don't have it with me now." he clarified. He wasn't allowed the weapon whilst on school property and leaving it in his car was out of the question. 
 
Then finally he let his eyes drift over to a frail looking boy that fidgeted uncomfortably under the detective's gaze. He seemed shy and quite reserved for a boy his age. He was sat at the front and didn't look Taekwoon in the eyes. "Which bad man do you mean?" he asked, his voice softer then before as he crouched down in front of the boys desk. 
 
The boy looked at him now, giving him a strange look. "The Demon." 
 
Taekwoon paused slightly at this and let his eyes drop from the boys gaze for a moment. He was hoping that they wouldn't know about this. But it seemed as if one of them did. "We're are going to catch him." he said, suddenly looking up and locking eyes with the young boy. "I'm going to stop him." His own determination surprised him. From the look that the boy gave him, he knew he'd just made a promise. 
 
By the time Taekwoon exited the school building  it was 2:00pm in the afternoon. He decided that he'd stop at a coffee shop before heading back to the station. He was feeling increasingly tired lately. Probably because everyone was always watching him. They all expected him to swoop in and solve the Demon case with a snap of his fingers. He seriously needed a break. 
 
He looked up and finally noticed a man leaning against his car, brushing his fingers through his bangs and using the wing mirror to check himself. He was dressed oddly, almost trying too desperate to seem 'casual'. He shook his head and clearly his throat, catching the black haired males attention. 
 
"Oh I was wondering what time you'd get out." the man said, sliding away from his car to hold out his hand. Taekwoon had a pretty good idea of who he was. He sighed, Rovix must of gave him the heads up already. "My names Cha Hakyeon or N. You're Jung Taekwoon, right?" he asked. 
 
Taekwoon merely nodded and stared at Hakyeon's hand for a moment before lightly brushing it with his, it was barely a handshake. N still smiled though which for some reason surprised Taekwoon slightly. His smile was bright, almost blinding. He reminded Taekwoon of the children he'd just left in the classroom. 
 
"So I heard that you're not joining our team now?" Hakyeon said, straightening his jacket slightly as a breeze blew past them.Though that probably wouldn't help him, his jacket was incredibly thin. Taekwoon sighed and chuckled mentally. 'Did Rovix believe this guy could change his mind?' 
 
"I work alone." Taekwoon simply stated, giving the older a blank stare. Slowly Hakyeon's face began to morph into what seemed to be him holding his breath and Taekwoon tilted his head to the side in confusion. Hakyeon suddenly burst out laughing, catching the longer haired male by surprise. 
 
"Who are you? Batman?" he asked shaking his head slightly. This guy was too funny. "The whole 'I work alone' thing is cool don't get me wrong. I usually work by myself too." Hakyeon paused. "But this is real life not comic books." He said now sounding serious. 
 
Taekwoon was surprised by the sudden authority in his voice and glanced away from the slightly shorter man. Though his attention was pulled back when he heard Hakyeon chuckle. "So I guess this is where I tell you that I am going to be stuck to your side until you agree to give the team a chance. I will do everything in my authority to make you see sense." Hakyeon grinned and slung an arm over Taekwoon's shoulders. "So let's see which one of us is more stubborn, Ne?" 
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Hakyeon really hadn't been kidding when he said he'd stick to Taekwoon's side. As planned Taekwoon went the the coffee shop and ordered a latte. However Hakyeon trailed him, on one of those death trap motor cycles. Though he was wearing a helmet, which made Taekwoon feel a lot better. 
 
He'd followed him in, attracting attention from a bunch of teenage girls that squealed at the sight of him. Taekwoon didn't know how to react when he started clinging to him. Of course he tried to wrench his arm free but Hakyeon was having none of it. 
 
Taekwoon had big his lip as not to hiss at the elder and then started tapping his foot on the floor impatiently. He caught words like 'So cute' and 'Good together' from the girl's conversation and felt his cheeks flare to life. He missed the smirk on Hakyeon's lips as he overheard this as well. 
 
When his drink finally came he rushed in paying, giving the cashier a large tip before practically sprinting out of the shop, Hakyeon laughing whilst hot on his heels. 
 
He'd gotten back to the station and was thankful that Hakyeon at least had the decency to walk a few steps behind him. It'd cause more of a commotion if the two were seen together. The problem came however when Taekwoon attempted to shut the door to his office. He found a foot jammed in his door way and looked up to see Hakyeon's face peeking through the door. 
 
Taekwoon sighed and walked over to his desk, leaving the door open for Hakyeon to enter. Hakyeon whistled at all the awards that decorated the other's office. "No wonder Rovix wants you on the team." he'd said. 
 
After that, Taekwoon attempted to ignore Hakyeon for the most part as the latter wondered around curiously, sometimes flicking through books or reading from the newspapers framed on his walls. Taekwoon actually got some work done, every so often glancing up to see where the older detective had drifted to. 
 
The light was suddenly blocked as Hakyeon slid onto the desk to Taekwoon's left, swinging his feet as he nearly crumpled a bunch of papers. The younger detective looked at him, eyebrow raised but Hakyeon merely grinned cheekily back at him. 
 
Taekwoon had tried to get back to work but simply couldn't. He kept getting distracted by the other man and clenched his fist with the pen still in his hand. 
 
"Be careful, Taekwoonie...don't want to snap the pen in half." Hakyeon warned, tutting like he was scolding a three year old. The taller of the two merely grit his teeth, completely ignoring the elder. That was until he started reading over his shoulder. Taekwoon managed to endure and then finally glanced at his watch sighing in relief. He could finally go home and get rid of Hakyeon for a while. 
 
He couldn't of gotten out of there any faster. He didn't grab anything other then his keys before leaving the slightly stunned black haired man in his office. 
 
He finally felt comfortable now, within his own home. His home was actually an apartment in a new city block. He didn't mind though. It was nothing too fancy and was affordable too. The only problem was that it was starting to get colder because of the incoming winter and the building had yet to be installed with central heating. 
 
He didn't know what Hakyeon hoped to achieve by annoying him all of the time. It wouldn't change his mind. Almost nothing would at this point. He was stubborn, everyone knew that, even Rovix. 
 
More then anything, Hakyeon was making him want to take the case on his own rather then in a group, if they were all like him...He shook his head at the thought 'No one is like Hakyeon except Hakyeon.' He thought in slight amusement. 
 
He'd only just sat down, curled under a blanket to fight against the cold weather when there was a loud knock on his door. He sighed in annoyance and decided to ignore it. He didn't get visitors often. He didn't give out his address to everyone, he liked being private after all. 
 
However, whoever it was just wouldn't quit. They kept knocking, every couple of minutes. They really couldn't take a hint. He sighed in irritation and stood to go and answer the door. Though he definitely wasn't expecting to see who it actually was. He immediately went to shut the door and felt like he was getting déjà vu when a foot was propped between his door and the door frame. 
 
"Nice seeing you too Taekwoon." his voice drifted into Taekwoon's apartment and he sighed very softly, locking eyes with the older man through the gap in the doorway. They held amusement and some deeper emotion that Leo couldn't identify. "You don't have to do anything. Anything but listen." he said, not letting his eyes leave Leo's uncertain ones. 
 
"Fine...." he said softly and released his hold on the door opening it a little wider. N must of just finished his shift at the station, since he hadn't changed his clothes yet. Hakyeon seemed to smile very slightly, straightening himself and adjusting his coat. 
 
"I know you don't want to work in a group. It may not be your style and I understand that. But the fact is that there is someone out there, killing people and he's getting away with it so far. I trust Rovix, with my life even. And I know he has a reason for wanting us all to be together. If you can't trust me then can't you trust him?" N's words had left Taekwoon in slight shock. 
 
What could he say to that? He didn't want to work in a team. More people would get in his way and hinder the investigation. His commanding officer in the academy had made it clear on his file that he didn't 'play' well with others. So why was Rovix doing this to him? 
 
"I'm sorry...I can't help you..." was his quiet response. He didn't dare meet the others eyes. Not even for a second. He shouldn't feel bad. He could catch the Demon just as well by himself. Those thoughts were what motivated him to shut the door on the older detective, finally escaping from his fierce gaze. Though he knew he could not escape from his voice. 
 
"Che,You're very chic right? Fine. I'll just stay out here until you join the task force...." was Hakyeon's response. Taekwoon rolled his eyes and locked the door once again. As he walked away he shook his head. 
 
"He'll be gone within an hour or two..." he muttered looking at the digital clock that now read '8:00pm' before settling back into his couch and wrapping the blanket around him tightly. 
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N: A very long chapter, sorry if it's boring. It's just setting the scene. ^_^ thanks for subscribing~