2008-2015

6th August

 

 

 

6th August

----- 2008 -----

"HAPPY 17TH BIRTHDAY!!" I said loudly as I leaned forward to kiss him.

He bited his lips, smile plastered there.

"Aw the sweet of you, you don't have to prepare this though. Wait, is this what made you ignore me yesterday?" He raised his brows and playfully folded his hands, acted like he was angry. I rubbed my nape and grinned widely.

"But you like it, don't you?"

He took a bite of a cake I made for him, a cake with marmalade and chocolate mint icing. He had a straight face, the one he showed when something bothers his mind but he won't say it. Well, I knew him and his expression too well.

"Okay, I get it. You don't like it." I sighed. I turned around and walked away to get change. "Let's go, I didn't make a reservation so better be there as soon as possible before the restaurant full of-"

"Would you stop babbling when you're pissed?" a pair of arm hugged me from behind. I sighed, he knew me too well, too. "You're right, I have to say I don't like it." he said. I sighed, like for the countless times. I tried to escape myself from his hug. But he tightened it. "I love it. Prepared just like what my mind always dreamed about my birthday cake should be. Soft cake, chocolate mint icing and marmalade are wow, just.. wow. Might sound disgusting to some people but, life is like that right? sweet-sour-minty-bitter at the same time. How do you know my preferred taste, uh? this marmalade lightens up my day!"

a smile drew on my lips and I rolled my eyes. well, a big jar of marmalade run out in 2 days. who did that? a boy that loved it so much, of course. I wrapped my arms around his, I tightened the hug this time. I felt a pair of lips curved and lightly touched my right ear.

"Thank you for making me a birthday cake with taste I've always wanted to have after all of these years," he said. "and thank you for loving me, because I love you." he whispered and the next second I felt those warm lips on mine. I didn't even remember when I turned my head around.

"I wish I have to spend all of my birthday celebrations with you." he said softly as our lips parted. "Call." I said as I nodded.

 

----- 2009 -----

The sun shone brightly as it was about to set, afterall it already did its job that day. The sky was getting crimson. A young man was standing by a tomb. A white one, fresh flowers lingered there. They just burried someone he loved here that morning.

"Today's your birthday, why He takes away your soul at the exact day you were born? This is so unfair!" he sobbed, lightly this time.

No strenght left since he shed tears non-stop from that morning. He felt like there was a big hole just appeared inside his heart. He hadn't wish him a happy birthday early that day, he planned to do that at 11.59 pm. He wanted to be the last one, a prank he wanted to pull to the other, to make him suffer because he know he was the one he waited the most. That was what he regreted the most. Stupid prank, he cursed under his breath. He should've not be that selfish. When it was dark, he finally left the graveyard, promised him he would continue living his life even he knew himself he was nothing but a soulless human.

 

----- 2010 -----

Nyoung just started his university life. He was just done with his lecture this evening as he ahead to the university park. It's almost sunset. He sat on the bench and watched the sunset, reflecting his life. He sighed.

He remembered how was his first week in university. He met people, new people. Not only from Korea, he also met people from abroad. This a new start.

He also remembered how his mom cried when he left his hometown. He remembered his dad's face, tried to hold back the tears as he patted Nyoung's shoulder. He was the last child. Well, even after you graduated from high scholl you were still their baby. Nyoung smiles.

Nyoung then remembered his childhood. He smiled. He remember he had a friend, more like Nyoung's forever-crush. But he finally turned become Nyoung's lover when he was on his sophomore years. He helped Nyoung with his highschool days. Altough they were lovers, it didn't change the fact they bickered a lot. But Nyoung really liked it that way though, they were childhood friends, best friend, lovers and Nyoung on that time hoped they would be forever partner. Nyoung really wanted to spend the rest of his life with a wonderful amazing being like him. Nyoung sighed, then smiled. He looked up to the sky, that painted crimson red with dark blue clouds as addition.

"Hey, what are you doing? I miss you, do you miss me?"

He let a tear dropped on his face. But then again, this is a new start. The whole new start.

 

----- 2011 -----

Keu was busy with his works. He need to finish everything later that day. Keu felt he needed to feed himself, he skipped a lot of meal times lately. He sighed, he needed to but he would not to. he would not to because he had no time to. So he just grabbed some snacks to keep his stomach in comfort.

Finally he finished everything by afternoon, quarter past lunch-time to be exact. Cafetarias were crowd, obviously, he rolled eyes. He took a step out the univerisity building, headed to his appartment. He would call a pizza later. Bed sounded great too since he felt so consumed by his activities.

On his way home, he smelled something good. It came from a burger held by a young man few step ahead from him. He gulped his own saliva. I would grab a burger instead of pizza, he thought. Suddenly he saw the same burger fell down to the ground, along with some documents and folders. His eyes opened wide, how dare that dark haired man dropped a burger right in front of him. He look up to tell the man not to waste food, but he found that person cried. So, apparently that guy just bumped into other person so he dropped what he held. But hey, was it THAT hurt? It was just a person he bumped into, not a stone nor a tree. Keu still helped him anyway. He took the shattered documents and folders, then Keu helped the young man to stand.

"Thank you." the young man thanked Keu when he received his folders.

Keu nodded and gave him a little smile. That man wiped his tears and his lips drew a smile to Keu. Keu tried to hold his self back but he was too confused yet curious, why this man in front of him acted so exaggerated.

"Is that really hurt?" Keu sounded more like a whisper.

"Sorry, what?"

"You bumped in to some people and.. cried?"

"My mind just wasn't there so.. yeah, you see me bumping into some people," he chuckled awkwardly. "Thank you and sorry for bothering you." He bowed to Keu.

Keu just bowed back to him and he excuse himself to take another step home. That man flashed a smile to Keu. Few steps later, Keu decided to look over his back. He saw the same man he just helped walked on the pavements, staring blankly. Keu sighed and stop walking.

"You should really see where you're walking. Or maybe you did that on purpose? you want to bump to some strangers again?" Keu tapped that man's shoulder.

That man startled, his mind was back to reality. He saw Keu and bowed.

"Oh sorry I didn't mean to!"

Keu smiled.

"Look, it seems you really have a problem. I don't mind to keep you a company but my stomach really not on its mood. I know some burger shop here, since I saw you just dropped yours I think you are starving too right know. Let's feed our monsters first."

That man in front of him just stared straight, and smiled finally. Keu triggered so he smiled too.

"This way," Keu led the young man. He extended his hand, "I'm Mark."

"I'm Jinyoung".

 

----- 2012 -----

"You can do that, Jin. Live your life."

"But I love you!" 

"I know, and I do too. But you know how we are now, Jin. You deserve a better love. You deserve to be loved again. Give a chance to yourself, open your heart once again."

 

I sobbed. I woke up with tears rolled down my cheek. How could he be so clear? How could he told me those things? How could he love and be loved again? I hid my face under the blanket and cried. I wiped my tears away as I heard my phone beeped. A text. I sighed and prepared myself to open it.

 

From: Makeu

Nyoungie, Happy 6th August.

Be happy, Nyoung.

 

I smiled and felt something inside. Is this what he implied last night? Is this why he told me stuff? Is this the reason why I should open my heart once again?

Yes, I became friend with Mark after I bumped into some stranger. After that we became close and yes, I told him everything. And of course I told him about my lover, no, my ex lover... ugh, let's just say my childhood friend that became my lover but now he's already died. I told Mark that I usually locked myself inside a room and cried but that day I had a lot to do in university but as you knew, I went blank. Celebrating his birthday is an annual thing, we used to do that since we're kid. Today is already the 3rd year without me preparing surprise for him. I should've had myself over it and I should've gotten used to it. But yes, it was thing I couldn't do.

 

To: Makeu

I'm happy. Thanks.

 

From: Makeu

Are you? Prove me.

 

I smiled. Mark was always being care like this. Whenever I brought up this topic, he would mutter something like 'look at you! You might bump into something again! How could a grown up like you bump around things. If you don't want me to protect you, you have to tape some foam rubbers over yourself.' He told me that I reminded him of his brother. I didn't mind having him as brother though, I have sisters back home so I didn't know how it felt to have a brother.

I scrolled down to find his number and called. He picked up after the first beep.

"Hey, you're alright?"

" I called you anyway, why are you the one questioning?" I chuckled.

"You didn't reply my text."

"Have some time?"

"A lot. Why?"

"Need you."

"I'll come over. 10 minutes."

 

See? I didn't even tell him why I need him and he cut the line when it was me who called him. I shook my head lightly and smiled. I went to bathroom, washed my self and get changed. I looked my self upon a mirror. Anything changed of course, but I wished everything changed into the better.

I remembered my dream last night. This is what you want, right?

 

----- 2013 -----

Smell of medicines.

ugh. I hate being hospitalised. I had a thypus and today was my 2nd day here. I had Jinyoung facetime-ed my dad already, told him not to book any flight because I would recover soon so he didn't need to worry. He thanked Jinyoung for being here with me. Thing I thanked God for, too.

Well, Jinyoung really took care of me. He was the only one I have here. I have some friend, but Jinyoung was my closest friend.

This was actually the day, the same date all over again. But Jinyoung seemed he forgot about it. I wasn't going to remind him by the way. I didn't want him sad, but I didn't want him to forget his past either. His past what made him like today, though. A brave Jinyoung. A selfless Jinyoung. A caring Jinyoung. A loving Jinyoung.

"Keu Hyung, you're caught staring at me." he tapped my head lightly and smiled.

I placed my hand on my head, pretended it was hurt.

"I'm not and stop it, I'm dizzy!" I pouted.

He bited his lips, muttered something like 'sorry, I didn't know'. I scrunched my nose. How a human being like him could be this endearing. Then I grabbed his warm hands. He opened his eyes wide.

"Careful, Hyung! You might got your iv lines torn!"

I rolled my eyes.

Skinship was not a new thing between me and Jinyoung. He hugged me a lot. More after I said he was like my brother, he cuddled on me often. I once asked him when he hugged me on couch and nuzzled his nose on my neck.

"What are you doing?"

"Mining strenght, Hyung."

"Do you think strenght is something can be mined like gold?"

"Ssshh.."

"I'm a person, Nyoungie, not a mine."

"No, you're mine."

I raised my brows as I digested his words. A wide smile drew on my lips. Then I tapped Jinyoung's back lightly and called his name but he didn't answer. The next second I felt stable breath up on my neck. Jinyoung just fallen asleep in my embrace for the countless time while he was 'mining'.

"Hyung, you're caught staring at me again! Don't deny this time!" Jinyoung shouted and he smiled from ear to ear.

"No, I'm not."

"Yes, you were!"

"Give me a proof."

Suddenly somebody opened the door and walked in.

"Mr. Tuan, doctor told you not to have a lot of talk," said the nurse and then she shot a glare at Jinyoung. "And Mr. Park, as the only company of Mr. Tuan, I hope you're being cooperative with us. Let Mr. Tuan rest and please be quiet."

After the nurse left, Jinyoung rolled his eyes. I held his hands and smiled.

"You okay, Mr. Park?"

"Should I talk like this then?" he whispered, made fun of the nurse.

I chuckled.

"Nyoung, thanks for being here."

Jinyoung nodded and smiled.

 

----- 2014 ----

"WHY IS IT STORMING OUTSIDE? IT'S AUGUST!"

I shouted in anger, more like to myself. I planned to go back to Busan to see my family. Two days ago mom just called me, she missed me and dad promised to cook my favorite meal when I'm home. I didn't make it yesterday because I had a class in the evening. I shoudl've gone home right now but, yes, this summer-storm attacked.

"At least you're still shining, Nyoung."

I pouted. Your grease wasn't helping this time, I thought.

Mark threw himself beside me on the couch. He joined me facing outside by the window.

"But I prepared everything. I did that until 2 am this morning. And this is what I get." I frowned.

"Well, at least I'm here." Mark grinned.

I rolled my eyes. Obviously I would be fat, caused by his grease.

"You're not helping, Hyung. You're not mom nor dad, you're not gonna cook for me either."

I pouted more when I saw Mark grinned wider. He then closed the gap between us. He hugged me and pulled my head to his neck. I didn't know what he intended to do. He patted my back hair up and down.

"But you can mine comfort on me. Storm is not that bad."

I smiled when I heard him. He was right. Having him at this situation was the best possibility that could happen. Well, I invited him to my apartment before I back to Busan because I wanted to take him along. But then again, storm surprised me an hour before our departure. I sighed as I wrapped my arms along Mark's slender body, hugged him back. Well, at least I could rest. At least I could mine on Mark. At least Mark's mine.

 

----- 2015 -----

"Nyoung, are you sure about this?"

Jinyoung nodded and blew a smile to Mark.

"Well if you are then let's go."

Jinyoung made a request to Mark. He wanted the blonde to dragged him to the cemetry. It's 6th August anyway. Jinyoung and Mark knew what was the exact matter.

After 4 hours of driving, they finally arrived in the cemetry. Mark let Jinyoung to go inside by himself, he didn't want to interrupt anything.

 

Hey, it's been a while. Well, 6 years are not a while. I wonder you might already punched my face by now kekekeke. How are you? I miss you so much. How could I not miss you everytime I remember my childhood times then they would be all about you? I bet my snapback you would be so full of yourself right now.

Well, I have a confession. I'm finally over you. This guy is waiting outside, he don't want to disturb us. I'm falling for him a while ago. Another /while/ which means /another years/. Yes, it took me years to open my heart once again. He plants his seed inside my heart, gardens and takes cares of it everyday, now it's normal thing for him to harvest right?

But what I want to say is you are irreplaceable. As I said, you made your appearence everytime I remember my past. The worst part is you were there at my embarassing times. I'm sorry to say this but I'm glad you're not able to embarass me more, especially in front of my guy that is standing outside.

Anyway, it's time for me to go, I don't want him waits for me any longer.

Thank you for being my past.

You were, are, and will always be missed.

I love you.

But now I love the guy that is waiting me outside more.

You lose, Loser. kekekeke.

I'll come over as soon as possible, and I'll bring him inside too to face you. Promise me you won't embarass me in front of him.

Love and Hugs.

Your Jin.

 

I've never seen Jinyoung's face this bright before. It was his boyfriend's cemetry afterall, visiting him lightens up his day of course. I didn't mind though, he knew Jinyoung long time ago and he left him right after that. Not mention how hard Jinyoung's life was, I didn't even knew him the first two year he was being left. Well, it doesn't matter anyway. As long as Jinyoung smiled, I'd smile too. If we're not fated to be lovers, this relationship was not bad too. His appearance was enough, his existance was more than enough. He smiled and hugged me, my hands slowly made its way to Jinyoung's hair.

"Let's go home."

 

"It's wonderful to be loved by someone until the end. I've found mine, Jin, that was you. But you haven't. You need to find yours. Be with someone that will love you 'till the end, the very end."

 

Jinyoung woke up and smiled. Beautiful dream, Jinyoung said inside his head. He stretched his body, he rubbed his neck.

"How long did I sleep?"

"Just like a flight from Amsterdam to Jakarta."

Jinyoung punched Mark's shoulder lightly and the blonde chuckled.

"I've never gone to Amsterdam and Jakarta before. How am I supposed to know how long the flight from there to there?!" Jinyoung pouts and Mark bursted into laughter. "Don't laugh," Jinyoung threw his gaze outside. "I wish I was asleep than being awake and teased". He pouted again.

"Hey, sorry." Mark pushed Jinyoung's shoulder lightly.

Jinyoung stared Mark for a while, then nodded. Well, he couldn't ignore him how hard he tried to.

"Keu Hyung, did you ever fall in love?"

Mark turned his head to Jinyoung and smiled. "I didn't, Nyoung. Why did you asked anyway?"

Jinyoung smiled bitterly, his pimples could be seen. The other thing Mark adored from the younger.

"No, just asking, Hyung."

Silence filled up the car. Jinyoung still had his gaze outside.

"But being loved is great."

Jinyoung startled by Mark's sudden words. He raised his eyebrows, questioning the hyung.

"Love is wonderful, Nyoung. How it made someone cares to the pair, how it made the heart beats faster, how it made someone's so selfless that would sacrifice anything to see the other one's full of happiness."

"Do you think love should be said, Hyung?"

"No. But it should be shown."

Silence filled in once again. It didn't last long before Jinyoung tapped Mark's shoulder and half shouted.

"Hyung, stop stop!"

Mark took the brake as he went to the side of the road.

"Whoa, Nyoung! Don't ever do that anymore! Sudden brake is dangerous!"

"Sorry, Hyung."

Jinyoung flashed Mark with his smile. Who could resist Jinyoung's crinkled eyes anyway? Mark then muttered something incoherrent. He even couldn't curse Jinyoung.

Suddenly he felt a pair of warm lips landed on his cheek. His eyes wide open and his hand tapped his own cheek, right at the place of that warm lips before. Mark turned his head to ask Jinyoung what that was. He found Jinyoung's smile once again. And before he even had a chance to ask, Jinyoung leaned and pulled Mark's face closer. The same warm lips that landed on Mark's cheek before, they're moving slowly along with Mark's. And it seemed Mark already knew the answer of his own question.

"Nyoung, I didn't fall in love," he said as they parted their lips, nose rubbed each other's. "Cause I already am."

 

6th August was the best date Jinyoung could remember. From then 'till now. And Jinyoung hopes it will always be.