page 1

Through Music and Lyrics
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

page 1

 

You stand patiently in line, waiting as the girls in front of you shift forward, eager to have they moment with the seven boys. You watch how the girls tend to spend more time with particular members. V is especially popular, so are Jimin and Jungkook…the older members, not so much. 

 

You watch as Rap Monster holds lengthy conversation with some of the older fans and J-hope is constantly brought to tear-inducing giggles by this joke or that body gag, either the fans or his own. You quietly take in Jin’s soft smiles as he remains the perfect gentleman, fitting the “son-in-law” description perfectly and watch as Suga makes attempts at aegyo towards the younger fans that belie his usual “cool” exterior. 

 

Theres a pair of white bunny ears sitting atop his fluffy pink hair and he’s throwing a peace sign to one of the cameras in the audience, his smile as sweet as his name. You stare, momentarily mesmerised and watches as he signs the albums placed in front of him, making small talk with the fans. 

 

All of a sudden, its your turn. 

 

With shaking hands you walk up to him, sliding your album across the table, unable to meet his eyes.

 

“Hey…don’t be shy~ What’s your name?” he coaxes 

“Uh… y/n…" you mumble.

“Sorry~~ could you say that again?”

 

You look up and he’s smiling at you, eyes crinkling at the corners, twinkling playfully.

 

“I’m y/n” you try, louder this time.

“Hey y/n~” he laughs. “That wasn’t so hard now, was it?” 

 

You relax a little.

 

“No~ not really…”

“So, do you have anything for me?” 

 

He doesn’t look up from the album he’s signing. 

 

“Ah…” You fumble around in your pocket, sliding the folded piece of paper towards him.

“Hm…? What’s this?” His tone is a playfully teasing. “A love letter?” He reaches out for the sheet of paper, ready to place it in on top of the small pile of letters he’s already accumulated from today.

“L-lyrics…” you stutter nervously.

 

It’s like someone’s flicked a switch inside him, his previously playful demeanour gone. Slowly he unfolds the piece of paper, eyes scanning the words intently.

 

“Sorry…” Your voice is quiet. “Korean isn’t my first language…”

 

He looks up.

 

“Did you translate the original lyrics?”

 

You nod, eyes focused on your hands, nervously gripping the edge of your sleeves.

 

“Do you have the original lyrics?”

 

You look up, startled. 

 

“No, sorry…” Your voice trails off again.

“Hm…that’s too bad…” he murmurs, folding up the sheet of paper and sliding it into his pocket.

 

“Hey…”

 

You look up, taking your album, now signed, back from him.

 

“Your lyrics aren’t bad, keep writing~”

 

You feel your cheeks heat up at the compliment and quickly hurry away, album clutched tightly to your chest. Once you think your breathing has returned to a pace that can be considered somewhat normal, your turn the album over, not quite believing the messy scrawl on the back. 

 

 

Send me the original, please?   

 

 

 

And underneath that, a KaTalk ID.  

 

———

 

You’re in your room later that night, showered, washed up and huddled under the covers, signed album resting atop your knees, your cell phone clutched tightly in a sweaty palm. With shaking fingers you open the Kakao Talk application, swiping over to the “ID search” tab. It takes you 3 tries - shaking fingers doing nothing to help you type in the complicated ID. When you finally manage to getting the combination of letters and numbers just right, the name that pops up almost makes you drop your phone. Disbelievingly you click the add icon, swiping over to the contacts tab and staring at the new addition to your short list - “민윤기”.

 

You click in the chat bar, finger posed over the keyboard before the mini-freak out hits.
What the hell am I supposed to write?

You type and backspace, trying out different languages and variations of the word “hi” more times than you’re willing to admit for a good 20 minutes before you remember your lyrics. Frustrated, you reach under the pillow and grab the notepad lying there, quickly flicking to the english lyrics you had scrawled down, right after you landed at Incheon Airport. Holding your phone over the page and quickly snapping a picture you send it to “민윤기” captioning it with: ‘original lyrics’. On reviewing the message you decide its too bland, swiping through the emoticons selection before sending the waving puppy emote. 

Nervously, you watch the yellow “1” next to the message disappear indicating that whoever was on the other end of this chat had seen your message. 

 

The reply is almost instantaneous and makes you smile, a soft chuckle echoing in the silence of your motel room. 

‘Hello hello~ Hello hello~ Tell me what you want right now~’

You type the two hangul characters with shaking hands, silently praying that the translation is correct. ‘증거’

The next message comes with a voice attachment. Nervously you hit the small blue triangle, gripping the sheets with such force that your knuckles have turned white. The clip buffers for a few seconds before a husky voice, one that you had only ever heard spitting verses or reciting variety show scripts, filters through the phone speaker, filling up the small, cosy space. 

“Is this proof enough?” 

The accent is heavy and the sounds aren’t quite distinct but you can still understand Yoongi’s short, english sentence. You drop the phone onto your lap, staring at the innocent device in disbelief.
I’m dreaming. There’s no other explanation…this is a really good dream and I’m going to wake up any second… 

 

An insistent vibration startles you out of your thoughts. Carefully, as though the harmless device would attack you, you lift up your phone, swiping right and putting the caller on speaker phone. 

 

“Hello”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter