It's What You Do to Me

The Sound of a Crescendo

"I can't believe you tore a ligament in your ankle from falling off a curb!" Jongdae liked to tease Baekhyun whenever he got the chance—which wasn't often because they knew each other from scholastic competitions and Baekhyun didn't always go.

"I didn't fall!" Baekhyun spluttered indignantly. "Whatever Kyungsoo told you is a lie because there was no falling involved."

Jongdae shook his head at his friend like he didn't believe him. "Only you," he pitied.

"Shut up," Baekhyun responded by taking one of his crutches and knocking it against one of Jongdae's shins. The two friends laughed together good naturedly as Jongdae held the door for Baekhyun and both entered the one of the competition halls. Baekhyun was young still, only 15, so his portion of the tournament was in a different place with different teams, but Jongdae was in high school and a few years older, and wanted to watch his competition compete.

"Oh look!" Jongdae practically pointed in his excitement to direct Baekhyun's attention. "It's your creepy admirer!"

Baekhyun followed his friend's gaze to find Kris sitting alone, likely reviewing his quiz cards and generally looking completely harmless. "Don't call him that," Baekhyun defended, not particularly interested in seeing Kris but not willing to let someone unnecessarily. "He never did anything to you."

"True," Jongdae admitted, "but remember that incident with his mom? The guy got all of us involved with that one."

Baekhyun nodded. He remembered that clearly and had no interest in dwelling on it. Kris, though, almost as if he'd known they were discussing him, turned abruptly in his seat and locked eyes with Baekhyun almost immediately. Clearly ecstatic at seeing Baekhyun, the elder waved enthusiastically in his and Jongdae's direction and motioned for them to come over.

Well for Baekhyun, at least; Kris and Jongdae didn't get along because Jongdae thought Kris was a creep and Kris, well, he thought that anyone who wasn't himself shouldn't get time with the object of his affections. It was stifling, and a little weird sometimes, but Baekhyun was too nice for his own good. So instead of waving and walking speedily in the other direction—like Jongdae would say he probably should have—Baekhyun waved his friend off and hobbled through the audience to sit at Kris' side.

"Hi," Kris greeted breathlessly, nearly overcome with emotion at seeing Baekhyun again. "It's been a while."

Baekhyun was uncomfortable, but he tried not to show it. "Um, yeah," he agreed, "it's been, what, two years?"

"Three and four months," Kris corrected so knowledgeably that Baekhyun briefly wondered if the other boy had been actually counting. "What happened to your leg?"

"Tore something," Baekhyun was trying to be terse and concise to show a lack of interest, but so far it didn't seem to be working.

Kris must have noticed something, though, because he frowned at Baekhyun for a moment—obviously lost in thought—before an insincere smile graced his face. "You know," he flirted pointlessly, "when you came in the door, I thought that I had two hearts and one of them stopped beating. For you."

Baekhyun wanted to roll his eyes and go wash his hands of the slimy pick up line, but he restrained himself. "Is that so?"

Kris hummed in agreement. "It was your crutches though," he clarified and at that Baekhyun really did roll his eyes. "And what's this I hear about a curb?" Kris wanted to know. When Baekhyun didn't answer—the story was too embarrassing, actually—Kris was not deterred. "Guess you fell for me as much as I fell for you." He said, making up his own story instead.

(Jongdae had laughed himself silly when Baekhyun told him about it later. Baekhyun just wished Kris would keep his confessions to himself—Baekhyun wasn't interested and he didn't want to hear it.)