In Your Eyes

In Your Eyes

A large smile immediately spread over Onew’s face as he looked up and saw one of their regular customers walk through the door. Luna, a young girl who looked to be around his age, had been coming to the café he worked at every day for about a month now, and she never failed to make him swoon.

“Hey, Luna!” he greeted warmly, flashing her a small grin. “The usual?”

Luna laughed brightly before nodding her head lightly. “Of course, Jinki,” she replied, taking out her purse ready to pay.

“That’ll be $4.90,” he informed her, tingles running down his spine as she said his name.

Luna frowned, looking up at Jinki with a confused look upon her face.

“But…shouldn’t it be more? I mean the cookie is $1.80 on its own,” she argued.

Onew bit his lip and scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.

“Yeah, but…you’re a regular, so it’s okay,” he responded.

Luna nodded, smiling softly. “Oh, so you give discounts to all of your regulars?” she questions, handing him over the correct amount.

Putting the money in the till, Onew shook his head, his lips tilting up slightly at the ends.

“Only the pretty ones,” he replied, looking up at Luna with pink tinging his cheeks.

She flushed crimson at his compliment as she giggled. “T-thanks Jinki,” she replied, taking her cappuccino and cookie from the older male.

“No problem, Luna. See you tomorrow, yeah?”

“Of course,” she answers, giving him a small wave as she walked out the door.

Once she had left, Onew sighed loudly, looking up at the roof with a wisp of a smile on his lips.

‘Next time…Next time I’ll get her number for sure,’ he assured himself, wiping down the bench nonchalantly as he thought about the beautiful girl with the kind smile.

__________________________________________________________________________________

The next day came by quickly, and Jinki made sure he looked his best before heading off to the café. Once he arrived, he headed behind the counter and tied his apron on, grabbing a fresh cookie from the tray to set aside for Luna. An hour passed with only a few customers, but as peak hour came, Onew could feel himself anticipating Luna’s arrival with eagerness. She finally walked through the door after another 45 minutes, and the huge grin that spread across his face was inevitable.

“How’s it going, Luna?” he asked politely, a light shade of crimson spreading across his face.

“Ugh, I’ve got work, so as good as it gets I suppose. But you always manage to brighten my day. Yourself?”

Onew turned even redder before hiding his face behind the coffee machine. “Thanks Luna, and I’ve got work, so as good as it gets I suppose. But you always manage to brighten my day,” he laughed, mimicking the younger girl’s words.

Luna giggled, before handing her money to Jinki over the counter. “I’m glad! The usual please,” she stated, fiddling with her thumbs slightly as she waited for her coffee.

“Here you are Luna,” Onew said once he had finished, handing over her cappuccino and cookie.

“Thanks Onew! I’ll see you tomorrow, alright?”

“Of course! See ya!” he called in reply, as the pretty girl walked out the door.

Onew smiled victoriously once she had left, proud of his small accomplishment for the day. Before he had given Luna her coffee, he had quickly scrawled his number on her cup in hopes of receiving a call from her.

Around an hour later, Jinki had finally finished his shift and headed back to his small apartment with a lingering grin resting on his face.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Two days later, Onew was beginning to get worried at the lack of Luna’s presence. She hadn’t visited the small café since the day he had given her his number, and he was afraid that he had done something terribly wrong.

It wasn’t until that night, at around 6:00pm when Jinki received a call just as he was about to lock up the café. Picking up his phone, he looked at the screen and blinked at the unknown number that was displayed. Ignoring that small fact, he answered anyways, greeting the person on the other side politely.

“Hello? This is Jinki speaking. May I ask who I’m speaking to?”

A few seconds passed in silence, and just as Onew was about to hang up, he heard a sob come from the other side.

“Hello?” he asked again, eyebrows furrowing in concern.

“O-Onew? It’s Luna…from the café,” came the stuttered reply, and Onew’s eyes widened instantly.

“Luna! Is everything alright? What’s wrong?” he questioned, pacing around the café in a panic.

She sniffled before replying quietly. “I…I just got fired and it’s raining and...*sniff* I have no idea where I am!”

Onew bit his lip in worry. “It’s alright Luna, tell me, what can you see around you?”

He heard the girl let out a shaky breath.

“Hey, calm down Luna. Breathe in and out slowly; it’s going to be fine. I want you to get as much shelter as possible and then tell me your surroundings,” the older boy comforted softly; however on the inside he didn’t feel quite as calm.

She sniffled once again, and Onew could hear light footsteps coming from the other end of the phone.

“Um…I-I’m in some kind of park, under a g-gazebo surrounded by some trees. Um…I think there are some traffic lights across the road to the park…”she said unsurely, and a lightbulb went off in Onew’s head.

“I’ve got it Luna, don’t worry. I’ll be there in around 10 minutes okay? Stay calm,” he told her, already locking up the café ready hop into his car.

“Thank you so much Jinki! I-I’m so sorry for calling you…I just…you were the first person I thought of.”

Onew smiled as she said that, a light tinge of pink spreading over his nose.

“It’s no problem. No problem at all, Luna. I’ll see you soon, okay?”

“Thank you, Jinki,” Luna replied, just before the two hung up their phones.

Onew drove through the rain and finally arrived at the park Luna had described, hopping out of his car and running through to the gazebo as quick as possible.

“Luna?” he called softly.

“Jinki?!” came the reply, and Luna ran out of the gazebo meeting Onew on the outside.

“Luna, oh my gosh! You’re soaking, come here!” he called, jogging up to her and giving her a tight hug.

The younger girl began crying into his shoulder softly, and Onew rubbed her back gently.

“Sshh, you’re gonna be alright,” he cooed.

“I can’t believe I lost my job! How am I going to afford my apartment?! W-what am I going to do?” she sobbed, tears staining Jinki’s already damp shirt.

“Listen to me Luna. You are a beautiful, kind, hardworking young woman, and anybody who fires you is obviously blind to that. I know right now it might feel like you’ve lost everything, but I can assure you that you haven’t. I’m still here, and I always will be. And if you really need a job, I’d be more than happy to offer you one in my café,” he stated, still rubbing soothing circles on Luna’s back.

She sniffed a few more times before lifting her head to stare Jinki in the eyes. Onew stared straight back into hers, and wondered for a second how she looked so beautiful even when she was crying.

“You really think so?” she asked timidly, crimson flushing over her tear stained cheeks.

Onew lowered his head an inch closer to Luna’s, staring straight into her large brown eyes.

“I know so,” he whispered, glancing at her lips and back up to her eyes.

Luna blinked lightly, and began to slowly lift her face up closer to Jinki’s, looking at his lips for the briefest of seconds. They slowly inched closer towards each other, closing their eyes as Jinki’s lips brushed over Luna’s softly. Seeing as neither of them pulled away, Onew moved his hands to Luna’s waist and gently pulled her towards him, capturing her lips fully with his own. Tingles ran down both of their spines as they kissed lightly yet lovingly, moving perfectly in sync whilst their noses bumped lightly. After what seemed like minutes but in reality was only around 10 seconds, the two pulled apart slowly and rested their foreheads against each other’s.

“You don’t know how long I’ve been waiting to do that,” Jinki whispered breathily into Luna’s ear, pulling her into a warm embrace.

“Ditto,” giggled Luna, burying her face into Onew’s chest.

“We better get out of this rain before we catch a cold…I’ll drive you home,” said Jinki, smiling brightly as he grabbed her hand.

“I’d love that…” Luna replied brightly, giving Onew’s hand a squeeze as they walked back towards his car with large identical grins sitting upon their faces.