Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

Of Hats and Asshats

 

"I'm just a soul whose intentions are good.  Oh lord, please don't let me be misunderstood" - the Animals

 

Week Three - Donghae

 

I stared out the window and swallowed hard, rehashing the afternoon events in my mind.  I tried to find some resolve but in the end any sort of certainty fell flat leaving me feeling insecure.

 

Earlier...

 

"Are you coming from the cafe' Kyuhyun-ssi?", I asked the taller brunette while trying to balance several boxes in the outdoor market.

 

"Sadly, with a poor student's budget and crazy schedule, I can only partake once a week.  I'm actually heading to my first class of the day."

 

"But it's almost noon!", I laughed.  "I understand the whole budget thing.  I only ever get to order an Americano when I'm out, even with working a handful of odd-jobs."

 

"You are probably headed to Cool Beans right after this.  What delightful concoction are you having for lunch?"

 

"It's good today:  peanut butter, onion, and pickle on toast.  I do my best to use up whatever is around the house.  Has Hyukjae complained to you about my sandwiches?  I think that's the only time he mentions me."

 

"Confidentially, if I were Hyukjae, I would have already surrendered to fate.  However, I am certain you are aware that I have quite the challenge ahead, as well."

 

"Yeah, about that..."  Why Kyuhyun always spoke so formally and yet never used honorifics was beyond me.  Maybe he liked to spook people with that big brain of his.  "I really think you should go easier on Jongwoon-hyung.  I mean, I can tell by some of the looks you secretly send his way that you like him.  I'm not sure why you act that way in front of him."

 

The taller stepped forward, "Ah, Donghae, I like you.  If it were not for your quirkiness and charm, I would have ground you into the sidewalk for such candor.  But for your bravery, I will share this with you:  If I know that Jongwoon can tolerate such behavior now, then I have less apprehension of things going awry later."

 

"Whoa, so you're thinking of the long haul!  Even you worry about such things?"

 

"Indeed, I feel more comfortable when it comes to math problems and science theories than with matters of the heart.  Speaking of which, I cannot be late for Differential Equations, especially when I know more than the Teaching Assistant.  Good luck with Hyukjae, he's a stubborn one."

 

"Uh, you too, with Jongwoon", I answered as Kyuhyun sprinted towards campus.  

 

His quip about Hyukjae was an obvious reminder of how things have been going with us my whole life.  While Appa was well, we'd all get together a couple times a year.  Even when we were toddlers, Hyukjae would be busy doing his own thing.  In grade school he candidly told our appas that they couldn't choose who he could be friends with.  Everyone noticed our similar interests in sports, dance, and music.  For some reason, that seemed to push Hyukjae further away.

 

At Cool Beans I was greeted by Jongwoon who started working on my drink.  Hyukjae glanced in my direction but said nothing.  When Jongwoon was done he put the drink on the counter, "Hyukjae, Donghae's drink's going to get cold."

 

The blonde picked up a clipboard and started skimming over the stock in front, "Hyung take it to him please, I'm busy."

 

The older barista set the cup on the table and slid across from me at the booth, "He's really too stubborn."  I think I surprised him when I burst out with a laugh, "That's what Kyuhyun just said."

 

"Oh, really?"  He shifted in his seat at the mention of the name.  His look was an interesting mix of curiousity and worry.

 

"Yeah, we talked for a bit while I finished at the market and before his math class, at least I think it was math.  He's a pretty good guy, not as scary as I thought."

 

Jongwoon's face fell slightly, "Guess he treats you better than he treats me."  I just smiled and shook my head.  Geez, those two!  I could say nothing since I knew what Kyuhyun told me wasn't meant to be shared yet.

 

Both of us heard something fall.  We turned and saw Hyukjae looking at us, well mostly at me --- for once.  I felt strange since I couldn't read the expression on his face. Jongwoon took it as a hint, "Uh, I'd better get back to work." 

 

------------

 

The rest of the time I nursed my Americano and tried to straighten out all of the jumbled thoughts tumbling around.  I had some time off in a few days.  Maybe a drive back to the ocean would help clear things up in my head.

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Aw, our little fishie Hae seems to be swimming against the current dealing with a cold Hyukjae.

Well now one more person knows about Kyuhyun's feelings...  Too bad it isn't Jongwoon!  ><

I've really been loving and appreciating all of the comments!

Hope you're anticipating what situations these knuckleheads get into next.

Stay sweet!

<3 TaiShanNiangNiang