Infeasible tasks

The Running Man Challenge

Jonghyun was eating alone in the kitchen when Minho walked past wearing a jacket and heading for the front door.

"Are you leaving me alone in here?" Jonghyun asked and hoped that Minho would stay for a little while and chat with him. The others were recording for SHINee's new album and Jonghyun and Minho had already got their parts done.

"Stuff to do." He heard the answer from the hallway.

"Where are you going?" Jonghyun continued and stuffed noodles into his mouth while waiting for the answer.

"Things to do, places to be."

"What things? and where?"

"Things and places."

"Is it something for Taemin's birthday?"

"Nope."

"Why aren't you telling me?" The older one's whiny voice was muffled by noodles. After a few seconds of quiet clatter coming from the hallway he heard light steps getting closer. Soon Minho's smiling face peeked into the kitchen.

"Because I can't."

"Why not? ~"

"I signed a contract that forbids me to", Minho said as he stole Jonghyun's chopsticks and snatched a few noodles.

"What contract?"

"Huh? Is this some kind of a interrogation?"

"It's because you're not telling me."

"You don't have to know."

"I want to."

"It's an employment contract."

"You're getting a new job? But we're in the middle of a comeback."

"It's only for today. I'll be home by evening, ma", Minho teased and ruffled Jonghyun's hair after giving the chopsticks back.

"Ahh stop it!" Jonghyun hissed and pushed Minho away. The guy laughed as he left the room.

"See you."

"Have fun... whatever it is you'll be doing."

 

Two loud beeps woke Jonghyun up. His sense of reality was completely lost after napping for three hours straight. He had fallen asleep on the sofa while watching TV and had been sleeping ever since. Yawning, he sat up and took a look around.

"Anyone home?" Jonghyun yelled with a sleepy voice and yawned again. Nobody responded so he presumed he was still all alone in the apartment. Rubbing his eyes Jonghyun pressed the power button of his phone and noticed it had been a text message that woke him up.

 

If you don't have anything important

going on, could you go buy something

nice for Taemin's bday? Thnx!

- Jinki

 

Jonghyun sighed and let his body fall back on the sofa. He at buying gifts. But it was the only day when at least one of them had a day off so it would have been rude to refuse.

 

I don't promise anything but

I'll take a look and try to come

up with something. Any ideas? TT-TT

- Jonghyun

 

Jonghyun left his phone on the sofa and got up. He went to the bathroom to clean his face and apply some foundation since his skin wasn't in the best condition. When he was ready to go Onew texted him back.

 

Nope, haha. You're on your own. (^_^ '')

Key suggested to ask Minho if there

was any new PS games since the two

have been playing a lot lately.

P.S. Don't wait us home until late in the evening.

- Jinki

 

"Too bad Minho isn't home", Jonghyun spoke to himself and closed the message. He grabbed his keys and wallet and headed outside.

 

The weather was nice and warm, not too hot or cold. There was a few clouds floating in the sky and the wind that pushed them blew warm air gently against Jonghyun's skin. He was walking towards a local mall and made his way through a park nearby. Gerberas and delphiniums were blooming and the park was full of different colors. It would've been a perfect place for a picnic. While strolling, Jonghyun tried to call Minho several times but the guy didn't pick up his phone. After the fifth try he gave up and crammed the phone in his pocket. When Jonghyun got closer to the mall, he noticed that it was closed because of an event. Being curious, he walked over to see what was the deal. There was a line of people queuing at the main door and over it was a big banner of Running Man.

"Hey, what's happening here?" Jonghyun asked a staff member that seemed to be in charge of the queuing.

"A Running Man competition. If you manage to find four keys hidden inside the mall, you'll win a gift card to S.E.O.U.L. travel agency."

"Doesn't sound too difficult."

"Give it a try, nobody has succeed yet. The Guard of the keys is a tough one to beat. If he manages to rip off your name tag, you lose."

"Ah, so there's a guard? Might as well give it a go, I need a gift for my friend's birthday."

The line moved fast. It took not more than ten minutes for a person to walk out of the mall after being caught by the Guard. Jonghyun started to feel nervous when there was only few people before him. 20 minutes later it was his turn. He entered the mall and was greeted by another staff member.

"Here's your name tag. If it's ripped off, you lose. Your task is simple. Find four keys. They can be anywhere inside the mall. But beware of the Guard, he's the one with a red jacket and a mask. If you see him, hide or run for your life. Good luck!" the staff member said and gave Jonghyun a sly smile which made him feel even more hesitant.

"Thank you", Jonghyun said and watched as the staff member walked out. He was now completely alone in the big building. Well, of course he had the Guard keeping him company. 

"Here goes nothing..."