Advanced Amateur

Advanced Amateur

Baekhyun stops in front of the door. He puts the suitcase against the wall and places his coffee mug on top of it. There’s an insufferable headache creeping into his temples, he can feel it, but he ignores it in favor of taking his Canon EOS 60D out of his bag and turning it towards his face. It flickers on, and he gives the lenses a tired, nervous grin.

“Hello, Dolls! It’s already—” He checks his wristwatch quickly. “Four in the afternoon in New York. I had a not-so-great flight from L.A., not going to lie, but I’m here now!” He does a cute fist pump in the air, flashing the eye smile that reels in hundreds of Youtube comments each week. “I just want to thank all of you guys for being so supportive of me for the three years we’ve been together. I know that I wasn’t exactly on top of things Youtube-wise last year, since I had so many college apps to do, but I’m super super grateful that my Dolls have stuck with me through everything. I’ve made it to my dream school, New York University. I want to share this whole experience with every single one of you.”

He takes a deep breath. “And now... the moment we’ve all been waiting for….”

Baekhyun juggles the camera in his right hand; the other goes to the doorknob in front of him. “This,” he announces dramatically, a slow drawl barely covering the excitement in his voice. “Is my new college dorm room.”

He opens the door— and is immediately greeted with 185 centimeters of shirtless boy.

Baekhyun stumbles backwards, shielding his eyes with his free hand. “Jesus ing—

To his credit, the other boy shrieks too, tripping over his feet and faceplanting into the ground. Rubbing his nose, he glares at Baekhyun. “Why were you waiting right outside of the door?” His eyes shoot to the camera. “And why are you recording me?”

“What.”

The boy (Braindead Lunatic, Baekhyun will later come to call him) picks himself up. He lets out a petty huff, crossing his arms. The scowl on his face burns a blush on Baekhyun’s, and he giggles nervously. “I was filming a Youtube video. For my subscribers. On Youtube. My Youtube subscribers.”

Braindead Lunatic gives him a curt nod. He slips past him into the hallway, ruffling the back of his hair in annoyance.

Flabbergasted at what just happened, Baekhyun stands there for a full minute. He then lets out an unflattering opinion of where else Braindead Lunatic should stick his hand before he remembers that the camera is still rolling. Biting his lip, he shuts the room door, clears his throat, and begins recording once again like nothing had happened. 








Ever since their unfortunate first meeting, his roommate had avoided even looking at him. The only reason that Baekhyun even knows his name is because of an old rooming email that NYU had sent him (and that he had never opened until his second night there). To be fair, Baekhyun hadn’t done much to reach out to the other either, but it was hard to do so when every time he so much as coughs, Chanyeol looks absolutely repulsed.

If that’s how he wants it to be, Baekhyun is fine with that. There are plenty of roommates who aren’t friendly with each other. It’s just someone who he has to share living space with. There is nothing in the roommate contract that says they have to be friends with each other. 

And honestly, Baekhyun wouldn’t be friends with someone that rude if someone offered him a million dollars.








A week later, Baekhyun is eating lunch with his newly-made friends when Sehun — the idiot from his Biology class who, on the first day of lecture, sat next to him and asked to borrow lip balm — knocks over his entire tray and sops green tea down his shirt. “Sehun!” Jongin exclaims, jumping up to avoid the messy aftermath. “Sehun, these pants are from True Religion—” 

“ god, three o’clock.” Sehun breathes, eyes full blown with lust. 

The four of them whip their heads around to stare at the tall boy who is currently paying for his bottle of Sprite. He has round, dark eyes that brush long eyelashes over softened cheekbones. His hair sweeps gently against his forehead, and when he laughs at something the lunch lady says, Sehun swears out loud.

Baekhyun blinks. “That’s Braindead Lunatic— I mean Chanyeol.” 

Three pairs of eyes swing from boy beauty to Baekhyun quizzically. He just shrugs and takes a sip of his coffee. “He’s my roommate and an absolute idiot.”

“‘I’ll trade with you,” Sehun interjects. 

Jongdae steals a fry from Jongin’s tray. “I know Park Chanyeol. He’s in my Calculus class. He’s really nice, actually; which inevitably makes him popular with the ladies.”

Tilting his head to the side, Jongin (sweet baby Jongin who Baekhyun began to adore to death four days ago, when the two of them were making small talk after lecture and Jongin had almost wet his pants in excitement at the sight of someone walking their poodle) comments, “I think he swings both ways. He kinda gives off that vibe, you know?”

“He’s biual for sure,” Sehun nods. “I can feel it in my butthole.”

Baekhyun just rolls his eyes and crumples his sandwich wrapper into a ball. Getting up, he grumbles a goodbye and heads back to his room alone. Seeing the idiot had soured his mood instantly. But he can’t let this ruin the rest of his day. Baekhyun has a video to film.








Fifteen minutes into filming his new “Dorm Room Tour!” video, the door swings open. Chanyeol walks in and does a double take at the sight of Baekhyun recording the distance between their desks. The latter chooses to ignore him, not even stammering over his monologue about where to buy affordable yet comfortable bed sheets. 

His eye twitches slightly when Chanyeol goes to his bed and just lies there, playing with his phone. Scared that he will spontaneously combust with frustration and roommate hatred if he stays, Baekhyun moves on to his closet. “And here are my clothes. As you can see, I bought an over-the-door shoe organizer from Target…”

But the next day, Baekhyun deeply regrets not turning off the video and telling Chanyeol to get out of the frame. After he uploads the video, almost every single one of Baekhyun’s comments end up being variations of “Is that your roommate? :)” and “Your roommate is a fire hazard.” He wants to tear out his hair when one of his Dolls decides it’s a good idea to start a “Like if Baek and his hot roommate should do a Roommate Video together!” campaign in the comment box, and said comment gets over a thousand likes. He considers himself very responsive to his subscribers, always taking popular suggestions and asking for feedback. However, this is one video that will be impossible for him. Why couldn’t she have started a “Like if you want Baek to run out of his dorm room !” trend? He would rather strip to his birthday suit and sprint through Times Square than ask Park Chanyeol for a favor.

However, the flood of Instagram replies, Twitter mentions, and Youtube comments eventually makes him crack. That night, Chanyeol returns from his night class to see Baekhyun fidgeting on his desk chair. Before he can even take off his backpack, Baekhyun blurts out, “Will you film a video with me?”

Chanyeol gives him a long look; Baekhyun is struck by how large his eyes are. They remind him of a puppy. It doesn’t help at all when the taller decides to his head to the side. He’s a bit dazzled, so he barely realizes it when Chanyeol opens his mouth and says something that vaguely sounds like a question. “Huh?” He asks, jerking back to reality.

“You’re a Youtuber, right?”

Baekhyun bites back the sarcastic comment that’s on the tip of his tongue (No, I was lying the day we met. I actually work for Hub.), and asks, “You watch my videos?”

“My sister knows who you are.” Chanyeol replies simply, setting his backpack next to his desk and taking out a textbook. “I sent her a Snapchat of you while you were sleeping,” He explains further at Baekhyun’s confusion.

He’s not sure whether to be flattered or completely creeped out. “Well then, ummm,” His ears are turning red, he can feel it. “Are you free tomorrow?”

Chanyeol smiles at him. It’s bright, cheerful, and has a lot more innocence than Baekhyun would have ever guessed. “It’s a date.”

He hopes that Chanyeol can’t see his ears.








“Hey Dolls! As many of you requested—”

Chanyeol turns to stare at Baekhyun. “You call your subscribers ‘Dolls’?”

Baekhyun makes an impatient noise under his breath. “Yes, I do. It’s cute,” He adds defensively when it appears that Chanyeol might start laughing. His roommate puts his hands up in surrenders, giggling slightly.

He starts again, his smile slipping on naturally. “Hey Dolls! I’m here today with my roommate, Chanyeol,” Said boy waves. “And we’re going to be doing the Roommate Tag!

Cue the fangirl screams.

“So first question,” Baekhyun unlocks his phone and scrolls through the list that he prepared early today. He jumps a little when Chanyeol comes behind him to place his head on his shoulder. However, it doesn’t faze the other, who just sets his chin back down. It’s unnerving, but he manages to read the question with a steady voice. “Did we know each other before we became roommates?”

“Nope!” Chanyeol answers, a bit cheerfully. “We met here, at New York University.”

Baekhyun waves his hands around as he explains. “As most of you guys already know, I’m from Los Angeles. Chanyeol is from….” He motions to the other.

“I’m from Manhattan, actually,” Chanyeol says breezily.

Baekhyun nods. “A little trivia for my Dolls.” He unlocks his phone again and proceeds with the next question. “What did we initially think of each other the first time we met?” 

Braindead Lunatic flashes through Baekhyun’s head, and he gulps. Chanyeol couldn’t have had a much better opinion of Baekhyun.

“He was cute.” Baekhyun’s head snaps up to stare at Chanyeol with disbelief. The other grins sheepishly; it’s boyish and endearing, and, like the previous day, Baekhyun feels his face heating up. “A bit weird, to be honest… but really cute.”

When Baekhyun’s silent astonishment lasts too long, Chanyeol clears his throat. Flushing, he says the first thing that pops into his mind, “I referred to Chanyeol as ‘Braindead Lunatic’ for a couple of days.” 

His eyes widen when he realizes what he has just admitted. His hands slap to his mouth, and his words are muffled when they come out, “Oh God—”

Chanyeol bursts out laughing. He falls backwards and hits his head on Baekhyun’s chair.

Baekhyun begins to guffaw at the half-pained, half-giggling sounds that Chanyeol is making. He falls over and into the latter’s lap, clutching his stomach.

Later, Baekhyun will have to edit out six minutes and forty-two seconds of straight laughter from the video recording.








Their relationship becomes significantly better after they film the video together. Chanyeol brings Baekhyun the leftover halves of cookies he buys on his way to class. They add each other on Snapchat, and Baekhyun sends the other double chin pictures during boring lectures. Chanyeol helps him with Calculus homework; Baekhyun had been a bit surprised to hear that Chanyeol was studying Business at Stern. “You’re smart?” He had blurted out, and then shrieked when Chanyeol smothered him with a pillow in mock anger. As the days pass, Baekhyun finds that one of the things he most looks forward to in his day is Chanyeol’s smile.

Baekhyun likes the way their friendship is now, so he decides against showing Chanyeol the comments left on their video. The majority of them consist of extreme fangirling over his Dolls’ newfound ship, “Baekyeol”. The last thing Baekhyun wants is to scare Chanyeol back into silence after he hears how invested people are in them uploading a tape.

One day, Baekhyun walks out of the bathroom, fresh from a hot bath, to see Chanyeol sitting on his bed, practically shaking with excitement. He plops himself down in front of his roommate and hands him the towel; Chanyeol immediately begins to dry his hair. Baekhyun leans back into Chanyeol’s chest — just because it feels good, of course — and lazily looks at the laptop plopped in front of the two of them.

He screams.

Chanyeol nearly falls off the bed. “What is it?”

“What is this? What is that?”

“Just a new game I downloaded,” Chanyeol explains casually, going back to gently fluffing the other’s hair. Baekhyun would have been convinced by the nonchalant act— if not for the way he was wriggling his impatiently. “It’s called Five Nights at Freddy’s. Want to play with me?”

“No.”

“Okay, cool.” Chanyeol throws the towel; it lands perfectly on his desk chair. “You can hold on to me if you get scared.”

Which is why, of course, Baekhyun allows Chanyeol to pull him into his lap. Because of how scared he is. 

The first two nights aren’t bad, even for a baby like Baekhyun, but the third night has him digging his nails into the skin around his waist. Chanyeol has tugged a blanket over the two of them, but it’s not enough. “You’re already at 30%,” Baekhyun whimpers, shrinking as far back into Chanyeol as he can.

“I know.”

“It’s only 3AM.”

“I know.”

Baekhyun reaches for Chanyeol’s left arm and hugs it tightly. The taller laughs softly under his breath and plops his chin down on the other’s head. “I should have filmed this for your subscribers.” 

To his credit, he doesn’t even flinch when Baekhyun digs his elbow into his ribs. “Why don’t you talk to me? To get your mind off Freddy Fazbear and Bonnie and all.” The bird appears at the door, and Chanyeol slams the door down before Baekhyun even has a chance to yelp pathetically. “Ask me something. What do you want to know about me?”

Chanyeol turns the light on in the left hallway. The rabbit grins at them, and Baekhyun manages to transform the scream in his throat into a high-pitched question. “Do you have a girlfriend?”

He almost slams his head against the wall when he realizes what just came out of his mouth. Of all the questions, he just had to ask the most desperate-sounding one. He might as well have asked if Chanyeol would like ownership over his .

“No girlfriend,” Chanyeol murmurs. “No boyfriend either,” He adds almost as an afterthought, still clicking through the different cameras to check the progress of Freddy Fazbear.

“You swing that way?” Baekhyun asks, the surprise in his voice thicker than he intended it to be. Horror computer games seem to have the same effect as alcohol did on his ability to think: just without the migraine. He has to count to ten before he replies to Chanyeol’s affirmative noise; the “Chanyeol please take me” image is most likely embedded far enough into his roommate’s head by now. So Jongin and Sehun were right. “I didn’t know that.” 

“Love can’t be stopped by gender.”

“Damn, Aristotle—” The rest of his sarcastic rebuttal is cut off by his blood-curdling scream when the fox lunges for their faces. The screen goes black, and Chanyeol is too busy laughing his off at Baekhyun’s dramatic moans to restart the game. It’s only when the smaller, disgruntled, swings at his face with his fist that he pulls himself together and begins again.

Baekhyun asks about former and current pets, siblings, personal talents (“I can fit an entire slice of pizza in my mouth,” Chanyeol boasts. “That’s disgusting,” Baekhyun sniggers, trying to ignore the cutesy adoring voice in his head that’s squealing “That’s so Chanyeol.”), and favorite foods. When he’s absolutely terrified, he asks the questions that have burned in the back of his mind for weeks. He asks if who Chanyeol thinks is the prettiest girl at New York University, (“Lee Jieun,” Chanyeol answers after a short pause, and Baekhyun tries to will away the sick feeling in the pit of his stomach because Lee Jieun lives in the apartment underneath theirs and is the prettiest little thing he has seen in his whole life), if he thinks any of Baekhyun’s friends are cute (he doesn’t know who any of them are), and whether or not boys should wear makeup. When Chanyeol asks why the last question came up, Baekhyun quietly admits that his first girlfriend in highschool had broken up with him because “boys shouldn’t wear makeup.” 

After he hears that, Chanyeol abandons the game and gives him a crushing hug. Their character dies shortly after that.

When they hit the fifth and final night, the head ignores Baekhyun’s panicked protests and shoves him forward to play. He trembles as he clicks on the various cameras, wailing when he sees that all of the animatronics have already begun to move. Chanyeol snakes his arms around his waist reassuringly, but all it does is cause Baekhyun to internally hyperventilate at the close contact. “Any more questions?” Chanyeol presses.

“Ummm….” The damned fox runs out at them again, and Baekhyun draws blood from how hard he bit his tongue. “Why did you ignore me at first?” 

Chanyeol makes a gurgling sound. “You were ignoring me.”

It’s a pity that the makers of Five Nights at Freddy’s forgot to make a pause button because the only thing that Baekhyun wants to do right now is stop the game and shoot Chanyeol his best disbelieving look. “What are you even talking about, ,” He deadpans, crowing in happiness after he slams the door right before the rabbit can get in.

“You basically didn’t talk to me for the whole first week of school.”

“Yeah, but only because you didn’t talk to me for the whole first week of school.”

Chanyeol is rolling his eyes; Baekhyun can almost feel it. “I would definitely have talked to you. I’m nice.”

It takes everything Baekhyun has to not throw the laptop off of the bed and scream into Chanyeol’s face. Instead, he projects all of his fury into the game, slamming doors before the characters have even stood there for a full second. “I was filming a Youtube video, and you were all like—” Baekhyun’s voice drops down several octaves. “‘What are you doing in front of the door. Get out of my way. Scum.’” 

Chanyeol laughs. His breath tickles the nape of Baekhyun’s neck, sending shivers down his spine. “I’m sorry for being so mean, Baek.” There’s a short pause, before the other admits in a small voice, “I was a little scared of you.”

“What.”

“You were holding a camera and waiting for me right outside of my door! What was I supposed to think?”

“Ummm, maybe that your new roommate is a very successful Youtuber who needed to film a vlog for his subscribers?”

“All fourteen of them, right?”

“OH, PARK CHANYEOL, YOU DID NOT—”

At that moment, the bell tolls. The screen fades away to be replaced by a single digital clock, with the wide 5AM being replaced by 6AM. Baekhyun actually screams out loud in pure joy. Chanyeol throws his arms into the air, bellowing. The room next door thumps on the wall, annoyed, but that only encourages them to be louder.

“WE FINISHED THE GAME! WE FINISHED— One hundred and twenty dollars? One hundred and twenty dollars for the most traumatic experience of my goddamn life—”


Chanyeol tackles Baekhyun to the bed before he can break the laptop open with his bare hands at the sight of the paycheck for completing the week of nightguard work. “It’s done! It’s done, just forget about it!” The home screen pops up, and they both squint their bloodshot 3am eyes to read what it says underneath ‘Continue’. Chanyeol brightens instantly. “Oh, look, bonus level!”

“ no.”

“Tomorrow,” Chanyeol promises, which isn’t exactly what Baekhyun meant. But now that the fear has washed away, he’s more exhausted than he’s been in a long time. His vision is already blurring at the edges, and he sinks into Chanyeol’s bed with a soft sigh. He can hear his roommate snickering a little under his breath, but Freddy Fazbear and the rest of the gang from the fiery inferno of Hell has drained the fight out of him. “I’m sleepy, Yeol,” Baekhyun mumbles, turning to bury his nose into Chanyeol’s pillow. There’s a slight trace of something that he thinks he might have smelled once on Chanyeol’s skin: a clean scent composed of fabric softener, shampoo, and something uniquely Chanyeol. 

Fingers trail through his hair, and Baekhyun finds himself instinctively arching into the touch. “Sweet dreams, Baekhyunnie.” Someone whispers, but he’s not sure if this is actually happening or if he’s already dreaming.

When he wakes up, it’s cold. He had kicked off the blanket during the night. Baekhyun reaches his hand out, hunting for warmth… but comes up empty.

He immediately sits up, confused. His hands come up to rub the sleep out of his eyes, and they draw back to reveal the room a bit clearer. There is a large shape on his bed across the room, stretched out underneath his blanket, the feet just poking out from the end. So Chanyeol had spent the night by himself after all.

Baekhyun doesn’t understand why he’s so disappointed.








“What the .” Sehun stops dead in his tracks, eyes glued on the figure directly in front of them. “What the ing rat s.”

“Sehun, darling, it’s nothing scary. It’s just Park Chanyeol,” Jongdae says soothingly, pulling on Sehun’s hand to force him into animation again. Baekhyun rolls his eyes at their youngest’s dead fish act. Jongin pretends he doesn’t know who Sehun is.

“Holy holy motherer holy Park Chanyeol—”

“Baekhyunnie!” Chanyeol exclaims. His eyes crinkle into happy little crescent moons, and Baekhyun can’t stop the flutter in his chest. He’s starting to have a vague idea of what’s happening to him, but he has still yet to admit it to even himself.

Chanyeol gives Baekhyun a bonecrushing hug. The other three of his friends’ eyebrows shoot so far up that they nearly disappear under their hairline. Jongdae coughs.

“Yeol, these are my friends: Jongin, Jongdae, and Sehun.”

“Pleased to meet you,” Sehun says with a brilliant smile. He runs his fingers through his hair, never losing eye contact with the boy in front of him. Jongin smashes his palm into his face at the same time that Jongdae chokes on air.

“This is Kyungsoo.” Chanyeol gestures at the small boy standing next to him. He’s pale, with dark eyelashes and even darker eyes. Heart-shaped lips and a small frame complete the look of what is possibly the cutest boy at the whole university, and Baekhyun’s heart momentarily drops straight into his knees before he collects himself and smiles at Kyungsoo with faux cheerfulness.

“Are you guys grabbing lunch too?” Kyungsoo asks, ever so friendly. He has an insanely pretty smile. Baekhyun wonders if this right here is his competition. Maybe he shouldn’t have worn sweatpants.

“Baekhyun and I were actually just walking them here, actually,” Jongdae says, yawning lazily. Chanyeol’s face falls a little; he looks put out. Before Baekhyun can process anything, his friend is already dragging him out. “Toodles. Nice to meet you, Chansoo and Kyungyeol.”

They’re about five steps away from the building they just exited before Jongdae whirls around and shouts, “You’re in love with Chanyeol!”

Jesus Christ, Jongdae, can you be any louder?” Baekhyun hisses, drawing up his hood to hide his face from curious pedestrians. “And, no, I am not in love with Chanyeol. He’s an idiot, remember?”

Jongdae snorts. “Yeah, I can tell how much Chanyeol’s ‘Baekhyunnie’ hates ‘Yeol’.”

Baekhyun opens his mouth to lie, but he finds something else spilling out instead. “I don’t think he would ever like me back, Dae.”

The sarcastic expression on Jongdae’s face melts away. “Baek, can you not see the way he looks at you? He’s head over heels for you.”

Immediately, Baekhyun slams his hands over his ears. “Don’t. I’m just going to get my hopes up.”

“He likes you at least as much as you like him. Probably more—”

“Please stop.”

“Which is lucky for you, honestly, because I don’t know anyone else who would be willing to put up with you—”

Jongdae darts away, and Baekhyun runs after him with a textbook in his hands, ready to bludgeon him to death.








There is a party tonight at the apartment of this hyung that Sehun knows (“He drives a Maserati and is absolutely gorgeous,” Sehun had informed him), and Chanyeol walks into their room to see Baekhyun’s nose pressed up to a mirror, his hand expertly blending eyeshadow. He does a double take before swallowing slowly. Baekhyun takes it as a compliment.

“What’s the big occasion?” Chanyeol asks lightly, going over to the minifridge to hunt for water. Except that Baekhyun knows him well enough at this point to see the little signs of unease; his shoulders are tensed ever so slightly, ears a little red. He wonders vaguely what’s gotten him into a fuss and moves on to applying eyeliner.

“I’m going to a party.”

Chanyeol spills water all over himself. Baekhyun jumps, and he accidentally jerks a line of eyeliner across his cheek. “Chanyeol, what in the world—”

Bright red, the big idiot shuffles off to change out of his drenched clothes. Baekhyun rolls his eyes at him and proceeds to wipe off the mistake with tissue.

When Chanyeol reappears, there is a look of determination across his face. Baekhyun barely realizes, since he’s busy styling his hair at this point, but it becomes harder not to realize when his roommate strides across the room, plants his two hands on Baekhyun’s thin shoulders, and leans to stare into his eyes. Baekhyun flushes unattractively, his heartbeat speeding up at the close proximity of their faces. He pushes him away weakly, to no effect, and then lets out a huff of air that he hopes sounds haughty (and not completely flustered). “Yeol, seriously, what is up with you today?”

“Let me go to the party with you.”

Baekhyun blinks at him. He looks away uneasily.

There is an edge of desperation in Chanyeol’s voice as he tries to convince the other to agree. “Baek, come on, I’ve never been to one before! And you’re going to be lonely without me—”

Girls. Lots of girls. Girls like Lee Jieun. All at the party. If Chanyeol were to come, he would be surrounded within the first five minutes. A rush of jealousy flares up in him, and he shakes his head to clear it. His voice comes out more harshly than he intends it to. “Cut the bull. What’s your real reason?” 

At first, Chanyeol looks hurt by Baekhyun’s coldness. However, it does force the honesty out, and the latter’s regret is soon washed away by the real answer. “You’re all dolled up, Baekhyunnie. I don’t want you to get carried off.”

Something really painful and really hot swells up inside of Baekhyun’s chest. 

Chanyeol continues, “I don’t really drink, so I could go and keep an eye on you. I’ll make sure no one takes advantage of you.”

The feeling in Baekhyun isn’t changing. If anything, it hurts even more now, and the words feel stuck in his throat. 

He swallows, nods once, and then turns back to his mirror so Chanyeol can’t see the mess of emotions on his face.








Chanyeol yanks Baekhyun backwards for the sixteenth time since they’ve left the party. The smaller keeps on trying to roll in the grass. “It might be my only chance. There’s no grass in New York City,” Baekhyun whines, struggling in vain against Chanyeol’s grip.

“Into the dorm room we go,” Chanyeol sing songs, dragging him with ease into the building.

They finally stumble into their shared bedroom, and Baekhyun immediately collapses on to his bed, in a fit of giggles. Chanyeol sighs wearily. He runs a hand up through his bangs, revealing his forehead.

Baekhyun stares at the little action. Suddenly, his fingers are twitching to do something. “Can I put makeup on you?” He asks, too alcohol-imbued to even bother being casual about it.

Chanyeol blinks.

Suddenly a bit insecure, Baekhyun quickly stammers, “I-I’m sorry if it was a weird question, I just thought, you know, it would look good if—”

“You can do it, Baekhyunnie. I don’t mind at all.”

Baekhyun stares at him for a couple of seconds, just to make sure that he’s not joking around, but Chanyeol simply plops down on the floor and waits patiently for him to get started.

Still a little unsteady, Baekhyun gathers his makeup things from the bathroom and drops it into Chanyeol’s lap. After a moment of contemplation, he also fetches the camera from its place in his closet. His roommate watches curiously as he clumsily sets it up on the tripod. “Are you going to put this on Youtube?”

“I think it has the potential to be a great video!” Baekhyun beams. He rubs his eyes with a small fist and then turns the camera on. Chanyeol bites his lip to keep from laughing as a smudgy-eyed Baekhyun leans in way too close to the lens and starts his signature introduction.

“Hey Dolls! So I’m here today with my roommate Chanyeol,” Baekhyun hiccups. “And I’m really, really drunk.” He collapses on the ground, giggling and hiccuping.

Chanyeol hurriedly takes over. “What he means is, we’re about to film a video. Baekhyunnie is going to be putting makeup on me, who has never worn it before.”

Baekhyun obediently crawls over to Chanyeol. He starts to paw through the pile on Chanyeol’s lap. The latter makes a squawking noise, but the other doesn’t even notice. “First, BB cream.” One he finds it, he waves the small bottle in front of the camera triumphantly.

There’s a mirror in front of Chanyeol, so he sees just about how intoxicated Baekhyun is by the unevenness of the skin makeup. He dabs everything on and then half-heartedly smears it around, but doesn’t seem to notice the lack of product on random parts of his face. “You have really clear skin, Yeol,” Baekhyun mumbles, staring at his face with an intensity that makes Chanyeol uncomfortable. “I’mma make you so pretty.”

Baekhyun talks through the entire time he spends putting makeup on Chanyeol. His favorite topics seem to be Chanyeol, how pretty Chanyeol is, and how Sehun would kill to be in his spot. “But now that he’s got Maserati hyung,” Baekhyun slurs, blending the smoky eyeshadow on to Chanyeol’s eyelids with a sloppy hand. “Maybe he’ll back off.”

“‘Back off’?” Chanyeol questions.

There’s a small pause while Baekhyun sways. He blushes a little, then ducks his head to hunt for liquid liner. “S’not important.”

Eyeliner is a nightmare in the state that Baekhyun is in, but he seems to be extraordinarily pleased with the results. “Perfect!” He exclaims, and then giggles again before collapsing. Chanyeol, who was already half-expecting it, catches Baekhyun before he can knock his head against the desk. “Sleepy,” Baekhyun whines, rubbing his eyes again. His makeup is already a mess, so Chanyeol doesn’t bother stopping him. 

“Do you want to go to sleep?”

At the word ‘sleep’, Baekhyun shoots up. “No,” He pushes against Chanyeol’s arms. “I don’t want to sleep. I have to do your lips.”

Baekhyun pops open one of his lipsticks. “Yves Saint Laurent,” He says, showing it off to the camera, and Chanyeol stares at it warily. It’s fire engine red, and he can’t help but wonder why exactly Baekhyun has it before his roommate comes at him, brandishing it like a sword. There is no way in hell that he would let someone else put that color on his face. However, this is Baekhyun. So Chanyeol obediently opens his mouth and lets him scribble makeup on his lips (and the rest of his face).

“You’re so pretty, Yeol,” Baekhyun sighs, petting his hair. “You’re like… Beyonce.”

“Ummm, thanks.” That’s a bit debatable (Chanyeol thinks he looks a lot more like Miranda Sings than Beyonce), but there’s no use fighting him.

“Or Angelina Jolie.”

“Thank you.”

“So pretty,” He murmurs, leaning in. Before Chanyeol can understand what’s happening, Baekhyun’s lips are smashed on his. It’s sticky and more than a little awkward, but Chanyeol reaches to pull the smaller into his lap and everything feels right. When he finally pulls away, Baekhyun’s pout is so adorable that he can’t help but kiss his forehead endearingly. The red mark he leaves is stunning against his pale skin. “I like kissing,” Baekhyun whines, trying to reach his face back up to Chanyeol’s.

They kiss once more, and this time it’s Baekhyun who draws back first. “Does this mean we’re dating?”

Chanyeol turns pink. “I would like it to mean that.”

“I’m dating the hottest boy on campus.” Baekhyun ignores Chanyeol’s splutters to his head to the side, and then comment, “Sehun’s little heart is going to be broken.” 

Chanyeol makes a noncommittal noise. “We should probably get this stuff off our faces.” 

“Can we shower together?”

“Maybe later.”

Chanyeol goes to get the makeup remover from their shared bathroom. Baekhyun curls up into a ball, watching his side profile as he examines each bottle for its label. That strange feeling is back in his chest again, only this time it’s warm and purrs inside of him. And this time, he has a name for it. “I love you, Yeol,” Baekhyun calls to his boyfriend.

Chanyeol looks up, a bit startled by the suddenness of his confession. Then, his face softens. “I love you too, Baekhyunnie.”








Early morning sunlight peeks through the blinds of the window and directly into Baekhyun’s eyes, effectively waking him up. He squints against it, and then rolls over to bury his face into Chanyeol’s chest. 

Then, the events of last night flood back to him. He sits up. After trying to recall his memories for a couple seconds, he begins to wail.

“What’s wrong?” Chanyeol mumbles, still half-asleep.

“I’m so embarrassed!” Baekhyun moans. The sound sends a pang through his head, and he clutches his temples with both hands. “And my head hurts like a mother—”

“Do you regret becoming my boyfriend?” Chanyeol asks, eyes still closed and head still on the pillow.

Baekhyun, still trying to massage his head, scoffs, “Of course not. Is that even a question? I just didn’t really imagine it to happen when I was drunk off my .”

“Then just go back to sleep, Baek.”

He looks down at Chanyeol; he’s already halfway asleep. Baekhyun smiles to himself, and then lies down next to his boyfriend, who immediately pulls him closer.








“Hey Dolls!” Baekhyun greets the camera. Chanyeol waves from his spot next to him on the bed. “Today, we’re going to be filming the Boyfriend Tag!”

Cue the fangirl screams.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

---

Thank you for reading!

twitter (x)