Final

Telling the Parents

Donghae sat comfortably on the bed as he watched his best friend and boyfriend of six months pace nervously around his room. The couple had decided earlier in the week that they were finally going to come out to their families that they were in fact gay and dating each other. The two have kept it a secret for so long so they decided it was about time. Donghae wasn’t nervous about the whole reveal as his boyfriend was. He knew his parents were the understanding type and would love him no matter what. But Donghae believed that Hyukjae's parents were the same way. However, for some reason the silly monkey was fretting something fierce about the whole thing.

"Hyukkie, you need to relax." Donghae finally said when he saw how pale the other was beginning to look. "You're going to make yourself sick with all this worrying."

"Hae, how can you not worry?" Hyukjae asked as he gripped his hair in his hands. "What if they hate us for it, what if they disown us, what if they try to separate us?!"

Donghae sighed and stood up from the bed. Walking to his boyfriend he gently pulled the hands away from the hair and cupped his face in his own.

"Lee Hyukjae." He began seriously. "Your parents love you. My parents love you. And they will be fine with whatever we decide to do. And if, if, they do end up hating us we will still have each other. If we need to we can move somewhere else and be together. I love you Hyukjae and I will do anything to keep us together."

"I love you too Donghae." Hyukjae said with watery eyes.

"Oh you big baby." Donghae softly teased as he brushed the tears aside.

Hyukjae gave a watery laugh at this and nodded. He was the cry baby between the two of them. But he also was more safe guarded in showing his emotions as well. Donghae had no problem letting people know he was dating Hyukjae and he would have told his parents as soon as he could about the relationship if it wasn’t for Hyukjae's wish to keep it secret. Hyukjae was much more subjective on people's opinion about him. Donghae understood this but didn’t like it. It was something he has been working on with the older since they first started dating. It was only recently that Hyukjae was more open in his affections in public and to the idea of telling their parents.

A beeping sound coming from Hyukjae's phone that sat at his desk went off telling the couple that it was time. Hyukjae was starting to freak out again so Donghae did the only he could to calm him down. He kissed him. Right away Hyukjae relaxed into the familiar comfort of kissing and returned it. They stood there for a few minutes kissing each other before Donghae slowly pulled away. A dazed Hyukjae opened his eyes and stared shyly at his lover.

"Are you ready?" Donghae asked as he took the other's hand.

"No." Hyukjae easily replied before taking a deep breath. "But we need to do this."

Donghae offered him a smile before he led him out of the room. The pair went downstairs where they knew their parents were waiting. The four parents raised their heads at their entrance and offered them greetings. They glanced at the clasp hands but didn’t say anything. After all the two have been friends for so long this type of simple skin ship was normal.

"Um…hello." Hyukjae muttered as he stared at the ground. He could meet their eyes. "Thanks for um coming over and um letting us talk. Um…"

"Hyukjae." His mother scolded him gently. "Stop saying um so much. It’s a bad habit."

"Sorry Umma. I just don’t know how to say this…"

"Say what?" Donghae's mom asked with a gentle smile. "Hyukjae you can tell us anything. No matter how major it is."

Hyukjae seemed to be too scared to say anything so Donghae took the initiative. Taking a step forward he smiled at his parents.

"We have something to tell you. And we like you to hear us out before you say anything. It's hard for us to say it so please allow us to talk." He explained to them.

The four exchanged looks before nodding to Donghae. He glanced at Hyukjae and saw the other was still too scared to talk so he decided to reveal the news.

"The truth is, I am in love with Hyukjae. And he loves me too. We are actually dating." He declared.

There was a silent pause as he waited for someone to say something. When no one did he continued.

"We started to date six months ago. We wanted to tell you but we were afraid that you would be angry with us, or hate us if we did. So we kept it secret. We are sorry to have kept this hidden from you for so long but we are very much in love."

The four parents looked at them and then each other. There was a silence before finally Hyukjae's dad finally spoke.

"We already knew this." He said calmly.

"You do?" The two asked in complete shock.

"Of course we do. We are your parents, we know everything." Hyukjae's mom said with a smile. "And you two are not that good at hiding things…"

"What does that mean?" Hyukjae asked with a gulp.

"Well let's just say I hope you two use protection, you know despite not being able to get pregnant." Donghae's mom replied with a grin.

"A pity really, they would have very cute kids."

"I know, Donghae was so adorable as a baby."

"Same with Hyukjae."

"MOM!" Both men cried in embarrassment. It was one thing that they parents knew they were dating, another to know about the fact they had . But it was a whole different thing that they were talking about kids!

"Oh don’t fret so much boy." Hyukjae's dad said with a roll of his eyes. "It just shows we are very accepting on this matter."

"That is not helping!" Hyukjae cried with a red face.

"Oh I can't wait until we tell Sora! She has been wanting to know when you two made it official to us."

"Sora-noona knows as well?"

"Oh man than that means…." Donghae put his free hand in his face.

"Yep! Dongwha is also aware you two are dating. They had a bet to see when you actually admitted it to us."

"I think Sora won that one."

Hyukjae felt his legs turn to jell-o. He probably would have collapsed if not for the fact Donghae was holding his hand. He was so worried that his parents would hate him when he confessed, not to be this accepting. He didn’t even know how he was going to face his sister after all of this. The fact there was betting was stressful enough. But a smile also appeared on his face. His parents accepted him, they accepted Donghae. Nothing else matter after that. Turning to his boyfriend he smiled a bright gummy smile. Donghae was smiling back. They had each other, and were able to be together without worrying about what his parents thought. And it was the best feeling in the world.

He leaned close and kissed the other on the lips.

"Of course, now that you two are open with the fact you are dating it also means we have some rules to set down." Hyukjae's dad said.

"Um…" Hyukjae felt his face flushing's already. He just knew that what happened next was going to be bad.

"Hyukkie." Donghae said softly.

"Hmm?"

"I love you."

Hyukjae smiled at this too.

"Me too Hae. I love you too."

Both set of parents had pleased smiles on their faces at this. Hyukjae realized that as long as Donghae was with him. He could handle anything. Including embarrassing parents and siblings.