When Karter Came

Rian and Yong-Guk: Meeting Her Family

"Mother!" Karter entered her parents home for the first time in over a year.

"I'm in the Kitchen." Linda exclaimed.

"Where is everyone else?"

"In there skin"

Karter embraced her mother in a tight hug. "Very funny. I was expecting a welcome party. It isnt' every day that everyones favorite daughter, and sister comes home."

"Only half of that is true. The last time we saw you was last years christmas." Karter removed her sunglasses and scarf.

"I know my life has just been so busy, with casting calls and everything. Just the other day I was personally asked by Spanish Idaho to be in his next music video."

"Spanish Idaho? What are people naming their children these days?"

"Its not his real name of course."

"Yeah well it still sound crazy. Well where's Tyrese?"

"Oh mother I decided ot divorce him. He wasn't the husband I thought he would be and I decided I'd split ways with him while we were young so we could have a chance to find what we both really wanted in life."

"Thats what you said about the last three husbands."

"Mother please. You simply must move on. Besides I don't want to talk about the past I want to live in the now so just tell me where I can find my sistes and I'll be out of your hair."

"They went to niecey's but they should be back-"

Suddenly Kira and Rian walked through the door

"...right now."

Karter threw her arms open in a overly exagerative hug. "Sisters! Oh how I've missed you!"

"Hi Karter. You finally made it huh?"

"Is that any way to greet your eldest sister. Show me some repsect huh."

"Your only older by a few hours...it doesnt' count." Both Kira and Rian were smuggled in a hug from their sister, that would leave them smelling like fresh laundry for the rest of the day.

"Come! We must catch up on each others lives like old times."

"Rian are busy-" All girls turned their heads to follow the voice that was deeper than the ocean itself.

"Well looks like someone finally decided to wake up."Rian quickly pulled from her sisters embrace and went to Yongguk and ruffled his hair.

"Yeah."

"Did you need something."

"Yeah but it can wait."

"Well since your're here, Karter this is Yongguk my boyfriend, Yongguk this is my eldest sister, Karter Marie Shaw."

"Nice to meet you."

Karter simply gave the quickest fakest grin she could must towards Yongguk. "Mmph."

"Karter stop it."

"I didn't say anything, I simply want to talk to my sisters, excuse us."

Karter pulled away both her sisters down the hall and quickly closed the door.

"Okay so lets talk ladies, whats going in you lives. Rian you go first."

"Okay well I'm currently in my last semester at university and will be graduating at the end of May. Since I'm a business major I decided to do my last semester in a church-misson project/study-abroad in South Korea. I will have a major in Business Marketing and Education, with two minors in American Sign-Language and Pshchology. I'm currently dating Yongguk whom you've both meet for about..."

"Okay Rian we get it now let Kira talk."

"Well similar to Rian I'm also finishing and graduating undergrad this year. I will have a major in Nursing, a minor in child-hood education and I hope to start Graduate school in the fall. I spent a year in Jerusalem for a mission trip as well. I intend on earning a doctorate degree before I turn thirty so then I can start a family and..."

"Oh my goodnes you two can talk. Prideful much. Well it's my turn so listen carefully. I've been getting casted in more independent films the is past year, which is great because they get nomitated for Grammy's. I also have been expanding my area of work from just films to even music videos. In a month I'll be staring in Spanish Idaho's new music video. It's only 3 seconds but I think I can definateley make my presence known because people are natuirally drawn to me and that's about it."

"Are you going to go back to school after that then?" Kira excalimed.

"yeah you did say you were going to go back and get your GED before you turn thirty remember." Said Rian

"Hey! Back off okay. I might not be like you living the life but I'm happy with it and I don't care what either of you think. I'm older than you so don't treat me like a child."

"We didn't mean to offend you..."

"drop it..."

"Fine...then tell us about you and Tyrese. Is he coming later?"

"What the hell is this. Interrogate Karter day! I knew I shouldn't have came back here." Karter stood up to leave.

"Wait we just..." But before she could finsih the door was slammed in their faces.

"Hey! Who's slamming doors in my house?" Mr.Shaw shouted from the T.V. Room.

"Daddy I'm leaving."

"What!?! I didn't even know you were here. Your mother just finished dinner at least stay for that."

"Daddy..."

"Please. Your momma and everyone else is so excited to see you. It's been over a year."

"Fine. But only because I'm waiting for my ride to come."

"Kids! Dinner!"

Within 10 seconds everyone was seated around the dinner table holdiong hands.

"...Amen."

"This is so nice to see old and new faces all sitting here together like this."

Everyone began to engage in conversation, some across the table and others were more personal. The only one not speaking was Karter.

"I hope my family treats you as nice as yours has treated me."

"Me too."

"You shouldn't be worried. Remeber what you told me, this relationship has only enough roomfor two people."

"Yeah but asian culture is more conservative and they value pure blood lines much more. 'I don't want to dishonor your family."

Yongguk smiled and shoke his head "Your so racist"

"It wasn't intended to sound that way. we were wathcin a whole bunch of disney movies as Nieceys' and the last one was Mulan."

Suddenly Yongguk and Rians conversation was intterupted by Kira.

"Uh-uh no sir. I'm not having any of that."

"Any what?" Rian questioned.

"Ya'll two talking in code." Kira waved her spoon between Yongguk and Rian. "We are a open family which means no secrets, so therefore its only fair that whatever you were discussing you have to share with everyone, at least until we learn Korean."

"I will gladly teach you all korean. Would you like to learn how to say hello?"

"Nice try. I wanna know what ya'll was talking about just now."

"That conversation isn't approatie to be shared with everyone."  Rian interjected as she wiggeld her eyebrows suggestively.

"Ohhh yall doin' the nasty. I knew it!"

Then Mr. Shaw spoke. "Yongguk did I mention I own 40 differnt calibers of firearms, and that doesn't even include the ones that are undocumented. Would you like to see them?"

"Yeah and we have connections to people who can make you disappear." Stephan said.

"They'll never even find your body, or even know you're missing for that matter." Sean added.

"Did you ever here about what happend to Rian's last boyfriend?" Spinner asked. The room grew erie quiet as everyone anticipated the converstion.

"No sir. I don't" Yongguk gulped before he answered.

"Neither do we, or the police." Spinner finished leaning back in his shair with his hands folded behind his head. A deathly silence filled the room.

"Guys I was just kidding. Plus we haven't done that yet." And just like that a deep exhale left everyone's lips. Everyone began to laugh at Yongguk's reaction.

"Well we were just kidding too." Rian's brother and dad all exchanged glances that made both Yongguk and Rian wonder if whether they should belive them or not.

"What the hell is this, the Brady Bunch." And just like that the room was back to awkward as everyone stared at the source of the outburst, named Karter.

"Why is everyone so okay with this? He's asian, a chink. He probaly barely speaks enlgish. Does anyone else not see a problem with this?"

"Karter what are you doing." Kira asked.

"Doing my job. Everyone has always been so passive about everything for as long as I can remember but I'm the only who ever calls poeple on their faults. How could you let this happen. My sweet baby sister deserves so much better than..." Karter gestured her hand towards Yongguk. "...this. Rian is Black, I am Black, we are Black, he's not. He has no place in this family."

"Karter what's wrong with you?" Said Sean.

"I'm fine. It's you all who's the problem. It's always been this way. You all treat Kira and Rian like they're angels and they get to do whatever they want. It's not fair."

"No Karter you're your own problem. Your not happy with your own life. telling everyone that you leave your husbands. B.S.! Tyrese left you for a man and you're just hurt becuase you feel like your ego has been bruised. Your first husband left you for his first wife. The second and third, I can't even tell you about those two, becuase none of us ever meet them, the marirage went so fast. You're twenty F&^%-ing eight and you've been married four times." Kira quickly stated.

"And besides your simply upset because you feel guilty about your own life. Things aren't going how you palanned so you keep trying to tear at everyone elses bit of happiness. You're simply jealous because everyone's relationships seem to be going places except yours." Stephan shared.

"Are you kidding me. Jealous of what? Rian simply must know she can't do better. Look at her. Who dates a size sixteen woman of color? She should be jealous of me. I'm light-skinned, size 8, and have the face of the perfect troghy wife."

Rian suddenly stood from her chair, picked up her glass of water and was prepared to throw it on her sister, until it broke in her hands. Rian didn't realize it but she had been clenching her glass out of anger since her sister started talking. As the shards of glass fell between her fingers she left the table. Yongguk suddenly stood up as if to follow her but stopped to say something.

"I know I didn't know any of you before this weekend but I have to say you have each surprised me, you the most Karter. Rian always talks so highly of you. About the times when you defended her in middle-school. How you worked so hard to make your dreams come true, even when you had little support, how you always managed to support yourself. I thought you would be amzingly kind, loving, and rspectable, but I was wrong. You have displayed hatred, anger and disregard for her feelings. You are Rian's sister, not mine so listen carefully. Rian is five times the woman you are... Actually no... you're less than that becuase zero tiems five is still zero isn't it? I will not have you treat the woman I love this way. Any problem you have you address to me and if I even hear of you causing her anymore trouble so help me... I've known youf family for hardly two days and I already respect them more than you. Hopefully you can channel all you biterness, ugliness and distain towards something positive..." Yongguk then turned to all the family and bowed "...excuse us"

"Ohhhh" Stephan said.

"Damn he put you into your place." Sean stated.

"Did you see Mushu? He was all 'if you ever..." Spinner rolled his neck in a mocking manner.

"Mushu said zero times five is still zero..." Sean continued to laugh.

"I think that boy got some black in him. Did you see how much shade he was throwing?" Mrs. Shaw directed towards her husband.

"Karter I think you should go. The ride you called is probably here by now." Stephan questioned

"Whatever..." Karter threw on her jacket and collected her keys "...I dont need any of you." She slammed the door.

"Unitl she need some money." Spinner snickered as Stephan laughed.

"I'm glad she left. her talking in that fake @$$ british accent was gettign on my nerves." Said sean.

"She's fake as a 13 dollar bill. I hope when she's gone she learns about herself and gets better."

"Yeah." They all agreeed.

"All we can do is pray that the LORD bringsher peace of mind abotu the things she jsut can't let go." Stated Mrs. Shaw.

"Well on that note how about we finish up dinner and call it a night, We have an early morning. Understand?"

"Yes Sir"

"Yessir"

"Can ya'll give me a ride tomorrow morning?"

"Spinner, go home and ask your own momma to give you a ride."

"I see how it is, see I try to go to church but ya'll be shutting me out."

"Boy please."

"Bye Er-body"

"Bye"

"Peace"

*Did you catch what I did there? Spanish Idaho --> French Montana Haha I'm hilarious!