Ch. 1: Lucked out

Luck and Fate

Before Yerin/Margaret enters SM

April

 

   "Mom, why are we invited to a film festival in London?" I look through the mail and read the invitation.

   "I did the budget for that festival. They invited me to thank me. Want to come?" Mom says as she reads the new Harper Lee book. She’s a high-profile accountant.

   "Yeah. I have nothing planned for that day." I laugh, setting it aside.

   Maybe I’ll be lucky enough to meet celebrities. That’s funny.

   

London

3rd China International Film Festival London

 

   Sitting in a round table with important people, I sort of regret coming along. Listening to the speaker speak for what feels like an eternity, I quietly stand up, desperate to be away from everybody. Mom looks up. "I'm just going to the bathroom. I'll be back." I lie, trying to get away as fast as I can.

    She nods. "Be careful with your dress." I look down at my black Sherri Hill Spring 2015 Classic Chiffon dress. It's a little long for me so I had to wear high heels. Laughing nervously, I whisper to myself, "good luck." At least I have my charm bracelet that wards off bad luck.

   Walking quickly to the restroom, I lose myself in the large hallways. I sigh, about to go back to the table. Before I could take a step, I fall to the ground. Someone must've stepped on my dress. "Oh, I'm so sorry." A deep voice in Chinese behind me says. I look up. A tall man bends down to help me. Holding out his hand, I take it and pull myself up. "Thank you." I say, smiling reassuringly. He holds onto my arm firmly, afraid I'm going to fall.

   "I'm sorry about stepping on your dress. Did I rip it?" He looks at the ends. "It's fine." I laugh.

   When I finally stand up straight with my above average height of five foot eight including my heels and I still have to look up at the man, I notice he's at least six feet tall. "Um, sorry about earlier. Do you need help?" Shaking my head, I smile. "No, I'm fine. Please don't mind me."

   I walk away slowly and flip my hair behind my shoulder. Finally away from him, I cringe in embarrassment. I knew it was taboo, but wishing myself luck had to work. What a lucky bracelet. Looking down at my left wrist, I realize the bracelet is missing. Looking around, it hits me. It must've fallen off when I fell. Panic and anxiety fill my mind as my eyes dart everywhere for the bracelet.

   Before I could go back, my mom touches my shoulder. "Margaret, are you alright? You're just standing around like a lost duck. Let's go back to the table." She looks at me with worried eyes.

   I nod. Returning to my table, I sit quietly and think about my bracelet. I can always call the maintenance or security team of this venue...

   Not even my lucky bracelet could get itself out of bad luck.

 

His POV

   "No, I'm fine. Please don't mind me." She smiles reassuringly and walks away.

   About to walk away, I notice a silver charm bracelet on the floor. Picking it up, I look at the largest charm: a dream catcher. On the side, the smallest charm is a four-leaf clover.

   I quickly put it in my pocket. Hopefully, I can give the bracelet back to the girl soon. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to give it back.

 

Kristen's POV

   "And the award for Best New Actor goes to... Wu Yifan!" The host says, and a tall man goes up on stage. Is that the guy who tripped me? What if he has my bracelet? No, that’s not possible.

   Once the event ends, I try to find my bracelet again.

   "Kristen, we have to get back to the hotel." Mom grabs my arm and shuffles me through all of the people talking and preparing to leave.

If I'm lucky enough...