Final.

When You Are Away

Kyungsoo blinked slowly as a quick ring bounced off the walls of his room.

He was too tired to move.

He had finally found sleep only to be interrupted by a loud notification sound from his phone. He regretted not remembering to turn his ringing off. His lips parted softly as he let out a sigh and looked over to the empty side of his bed. 

He missed Jongin.

The younger was visiting his family in California while Kyungsoo was stuck in Seoul. Jongin's grandfather was sick. It had come as a complete shock to his whole family. They worried he would be gone, and Jongin flew out within the same day. Kyungsoo, of course, wanted him to go, but a dreaded feeling came over him as he watched him step out the door.

His phone beeped again, the two minutes it took to ring again passing. He finally rolled to his side and grabbed the phone. He clicked the button, seeing there was a notification from snapchat.

Kyungsoo hesitated to open it, but the sudden thought of it being Jongin made him quickly slide his finger along the screen. Snapchat pulled up and sure enough, it was from the younger. He held down the name. A sleepy smile graces his lips as he saw the picture. It was a street, he could only assume in California, with the text 'Are you awake, hyung?'.

Kyungsoo the small lamp that sat on the side table before resting against the bed. He took a blurry picture of the said table, adding a 'I am now. You okay?' to the bottom of it. He closed his eyes to rest as he waited for a reply.

The ding shocked him momentarily. He opened his phone again and held down the reply. It was taken as if Jongin was sitting. It was a picture of his shoes and pants. Kyungsoo mentally chuckled as he noticed he wasn't wearing socks as per usual. The black bar held the text 'yeah'.

Kyungsoo switched the camera to face him and took the shot so it only showed his clothed shoulder and arm, having wore a loose t-shirt. He added a simple 'Okay' before closing his eyes again.

The next reply came much slower, letting him drift back into half-sleep. When the ding came this time, he jolted; he was pulled out of his half-dream state. Feeling a little disoriented, he opened the picture. It was of the street again, but one with less people. 'Kyungsoo...' It read.

Kyungsoo hesitated before taking a picture of the ceiling with 'Jongin..?'

The reply is quicker then the last. He opened it with slightly anticipation. It was a selca. Jongin's lips held a gentle smile as his eyes were curved into crescent moons. The camera was close to his face to block out his surroundings. The words attached, however, made Kyungsoo smile brightly. 'I miss you' His heart was warmed significantly.

He took a photo so it only showed his nose and the sleepy smile that his heart-shaped lips formed. 'I miss you too.'

Now he waited eagerly for a reply which came quickly. It was a video this time, so the older turns down his sound a bit before playing it. It was just a scope of the street Jongin was on. 'I wish you were here, hyung.'

Kyungsoo took a picture of the empty spot next to himself. 'I wish you were here too.'

He felt himself getting sleepy again as he waited for a reply.

When it came, he smiled and opened it. It was a video of a street again, but at the end it zooms in on a dog that was wagging its tail in the slight distance. Kyungsoo laughs at Jongin's silly, childish nature. All it had were three thumb up emojis.

When he was about to reply, he received another photo. It was of Jongin posing with the dog he had gotten on film. The younger had a silly smile on his lips, and Kyungsoo couldn't help but laugh and smile at the boy. The words he didn't notice at first, 'I really wish you were here!', made him giggle.

He took a selca this time. It was his sleepy smile and closed eyes. He looked comfortable and happy, but tired. 'I love you, Jongin.' He added with a warm heart. He rolled on his side to face the empty bedside, snuggling into the covers.

His phone rung again, making him open it without delay. As soon as he did, he got another photo. The first was another selca of Jongin. He had gotten a shot of an important looking landmark in the background. 'I love you too, Hyung.'

The second one was a picture of the landmark itself. Kyungsoo couldn't put his finger on which one it was exactly. The words on the picture read, 'Sleep now, hyung! <3'  

Kyungsoo chuckled and replied quickly. He took a photo of his hand on the lamp's switch before turning it off. He squinted at the bright screen as he typed out a simple 'Alright <3<3' He plugged his phone back on the charger before leaning back in the bed, his eyes laying closed and heavy.

His heart felt warm and fuzzy, drawing him to sleep quickly.

He loved Jongin.

He really did.

 

Words: 888

Inspired by this: LINK