A Shy Fan

The Adhesive Neighbour

 

Untying her hair made her give out a long, tired, sigh. Keep this up, and she would be able to pay off another semester - something she deemed as her goals each year. Losing her scholarship wasn't a surprise with her horrible personality and knowing that, she had prepared a stash of money to pay for her next semesters. The teachers were somewhat relieved that she thought of that as what would their sponsors think if they kicked out a young prodigy such as her; the student crowning most of the competitions. The truth was that she could've just took up the offer by either Juilliard School, Berklee College of Music, or Curtis Institute of Music but she had some attachments to this town that she couldn't sever. 

Her mother would've kicked her for being too soft but at the same time scoop her up in her arms and apologize in that familiar raspy voice that Chaeyoung loved and the feeling of her mom's long bony fingers weaving through her hair - Chaeyoung would've laid her life for anyone who could let her even see her mother even if from a long distance but it was impossible. Only her violin allowed her to see the picturesque figure of her mother. The same violin her mother signed on when she first saw her mom's piano concert. By sign, it was just her mother scribbling the notes of the piece she was about to preform. Chaeyoung knew why she did now - it was hard not to be able to relate when she herself had done so too. 

How nervous she gets whilst being exited to go up the stage - how her fingers would recite as what they will play and her hand imagining the bow already in her hand - slowly to remember than faster and faster as the adrenaline gone to her - her stomach protesting from the strong emotions but her body still swaying to the melody that's attached to her mind - then to fantasize of her music reaching her audience; the bliss of the sudden applause when dripped in sweat and dazed with all the energy b in her body. Chaeyoung had fallen in love - like how her mother did - to her partner, the violin, She'd laugh along her violin when she would drive her accompanist hurrying to catch up with her - of how only her and her violin could play the way that she did. 

Along with her passion came grief and loneliness. Mourning that her love could've ripped her away from so many things in this world - that it could rip people from each other "Stop," she croaked "Don't think, don't think, don't think." Memories were something she wished she could've altered to her will - disposing what she didn't want to see roaming around and to illuminate the ones that she'd like to relive once more. Facing the vanity mirror, she could hear her mother scolding her to take care of her appearance more. That she would make her sleep a whole month if she could than to let her just cover it up with makeup and continue the day. Chaeyoung waited for her mom to raise her voice in a way that managed to make her voice boom out the whole place. It never came and she grew nauseous with the whole apartment. Grabbing her coat she flung her door open. 

A fist that was ready to knock was the first thing she saw before she raised her eyes to meet the smiling(if you could call it a smile) boy's. The fist opened into a ready hand waiting for her to take it, she hesitated, thought over it once more, then took it "You are?' As if hearing her talk was a huge surreal, he gripped tighter on her hand to which Chaeyoung gripped back - secretly comforted by her first human touch in a while. Clearing his throat, but not retracting his hands, he pinned his eyesight on hers "Your neighbour. I just moved in," A pause as his fingers seemed to fumble in her hands - carelessly rubbing his fingers over her wrists - feeling the slightly rough lines on her wrist he decided to ignore "Ah, uhm. I wanted to apologize in advance for the ruckus me and my roommate will make." A snicker came after that comment as a deeper voice commented "If you could call the melodies that we make as ruckus." Chaeyoung made no movement as she tried to keep her tongue from lashing out. 

Don't play it. Don't play it. I beg of you, please don't play classical music. 

The other male, however, didn't miss the glint that was casted in her eyes for a second. Coughing he stuck out his hand as well, then to laugh afterwards as Chaeyoung looked confusedly to Baekhyun who seemed as if he had no intention of letting go of Chaeyoung's hand. Neither did his gaze waver from hers either. Her fingers couldn't help but twitch from the rather soft hands that held hers. The fear of him somehow injuring her hands terrified her, although it was illogical. When was fear ever logical? Coughing once more, the other male jabbed Baekhyun's ribs emitting an "oof," from baekhyun. The girl stared at the blond skeptically now, as if holding her hand even after a handshake was okay but not allowing her to shake the other's hands wasn't "Sorry about that," the other cut in "Bakehyun's always out of it." Spluttering with a fit of coughing now, Baekhyun handed a handkerchief to his friend and looked back to Chaeyoung. 

The other wiped his hands off and in his snot before offering his hands once more to Chaeyoung, in which she complied by rummaging inside her pockets and getting out a hand sanitizer "Roommate and neighboring with clean freaks, huh?" He took the sanitizer, dropped a few ounces on his hand, rubbed a good spread over his hands then Chaeyoung took his hands "I'm Chaeyoung, you?" There was an irregular sound that came from Baekhyun but Chanyeol and Chaeyoung ignored it "I'm Chanyeol. Park Chanyeol, don't fall for me aight?" She smirked at that "Taken, wouldn't dream of it." He didn't need to know it was a violin but he laughed at her reply and dragged Baekhyun by the collar "We have to go fix our things now. Have a nice day, Chayeuong-ssi." Nodding even if Chanyeol couldn't see she headed out quickly, took a breath and shuffled in her jacket'a pockets and got out her cigarette.

A lighter switched open in front of her and she gladly leaned in, already with the cigarette in between and her hazel eyes reflecting the light "I knew you smoked," it sounded more of a happy confirmation than a accusation that most Koreans would give in disapproval. She could tell it was Beakhyun "Didn't the giant drag you?" He chuckled "No one can keep me from you." She ignored the creepy comment along with the sudden drop of his voice "You smoke?" He shook his head, but then nodded "At times," He snuck out one from her box and lit it, then leaning on the railings of the compartment "like these." She took in a long drag, let the smoke explore down to and to her lungs then to let it out again slowly. She couldn't understand the smokers who quickly took a whiff and blew it out like a train. She would just open and apply pressure to to let the smoke trail out. 

Baekhyun seemed to smoke like she did before he soiled the lighted tip to the railings and throwing it to the trash bin bolted next to each apartment doors "I, ah, got to go," flashing a crooked smile at her - which seemed somewhat forced and creepy to her - he walked away "Ah, you're going to Recital Arts at Seoul Arts Center right?" Chaeyoung froze. She knew a lot of people like baekhyun and she confirmed what he was when he flashed that creepy crooked smile once more "I- I'm a huge fan, I hope you win this year Premio Paganini." She heard the undertone behind the word behind the word "fan" and shivers went up her spine. 


Waits for the shoes to get thrown at me. 

I know it's bad lol. But like idk. Hah "slight comedy" my Ace. 

Partly blames it at Rachmaninoff/Tchaikovosky valse from the sleeping beauty Op. 66

and then i waltzed around too much and my fingers couldn't stop fidgeting! yas you can throw shoes at me for actually blaming this on music lol 

 

Hope you're okay with this rough start though and comment and subscribe and support this lonely sad author lol