One

Come Back to Me Again

    Seungyeon waited outside Junghwan's practice room, a home-made lunch box in hand. She smiled brightly as she heard her wonderful boyfriend's voice practicing for the upcoming National Singing Competition. It was about 2 years since they started going out, but her feelings for Junghwan have not changed, she admired his passion for singing and loved his out-going personality. Although he was not the most handsome guy out there, what was looks compared to a pure heart? She thought as she waited for Junghwan's practice to end. 

    She closed her eyes as she heard him sing a song, Believe an OST for one of her favorite movies, Sassy Girl. She smiled from ear to ear as she felt his happiness in singing the song. His tone beautiful and even when he finished the song her eyes were still closed as she yearned for more. She heard him saying his last words to his instructors and then the door opened. She turned her head and saw a surprised Lee Junghwan. "Ji Seungyeon, what are doing here?" he exclaimed as he grinned. Seungyeon smiled back and showed the lunch box in her hands, "I brought lunch!"

    

   They arrived at a park just outside the building, heading towards a bench nearby and Seungyeon sat down hurriedly as she urged Junghwan to come faster, she sat cross-legged on the bench and Junghwan simply grinned as he watched his beautiful tiny girlfriend. He sat down next to her, the lunch box in between them, Seungyeon tied her long hair back, it was a beautiful scene, in addition to the beautiful autumn leaves falling around her. Sungyeon opened the lunch box showcasing a basic lunch box, filled with oddly porportioned kimbap. And also another seperate container filled with cut up watermelon. 

   "First things first oppa, do not judge a book by its cover, this kimbap is ing amazing!" the tiny girl exclaimed brightly, "Sorry, I woke up late, and so, ugh, that happened, but honestly its good," she added an excuse towards then end. Junghwan laughed, he scrunched up his nose and lightly flicked his finger onto Seungyeon's forehead.

     "I know, this isn't a first," Junghwan said and winked.

      But Seungyeon saw Junghwan's face, although appearing happy, she felt something was wrong. She eyed Junghwan, her face showcased worry, Junghwan popped in a piece of kimbap and nodded in approval.

      "Delicious," he exclaimed and did a double thumbs up, he was trying to reassure the worried-looking Seungyeon, thinking she thought he did not like it.

      "Oppa, what's wrong?" Seungyeon stated. 

       Junghwan's eyes widened as he swallowed the kimbap, of course she knew, he thought as he looked at the beautiful, straight-forward girl named Ji Seungyeon. He was exhausted, and he knew he was not able to hide anything from Seungyeon.

      Junghwan then started explaining, with a smile on his face, his eyes showing different emotions that Seungyeon interpreted as pain. Junghwan explained that his vocal instructor told him he has not been improving lately, his singing had not bring out emotion. Especially songs involving breaking up.  After explaining that, Junghwan changed his expression, "I don't need to sing songs involving break up, so I shouldn't be so worked up right!" he exclaimed brightly as he popped in a piece of watermelon. He left something out. This is an excuse. Seungyeon thought, but she did not want to think that her theory was correct. So she ignored it. He can sort it out, he's Lee Junghwan, my theory, is ... not true. Seungyeon thought optimistically, slightly guilty.

     

     The next week, Seungyeon decided to bring Junghwan lunch again, she smiled as she thought of her perfect kimbap, finally nailed it. Now I don't need to make an excuse. Seungyeon mentally exclaimed and did a tiny fist pump. She came earlier than she needed to, she was so excited to show Junghwan her perfect kimbap she did not realise she was early. "One more hour," she murmured to herself, she sighed, but then thought, I can hear oppa's voice, well, that's good then!  

    Instead of singing, she heard something else, "Lee Junghwan," a male voice started. "What happened to you?" 

    "I'm sorry," she heard Junghwan exclaim in a polite tone. 

      Another voice then exclaimed, "Teach, it's because of his girlfriend! All he feels now is love, but obviously she'll be leaving him, she's too pretty to be with someone like him. Don't you get that? Because of the fake love she's giving, your singing is getting worse." The voice sounded bitter. And Seungyeon was suddenly guilty. It was true, her theory was true, she thought. It's my fault. 

       "No, she's nice, she would never do that," Junghwan said firmly, still polite.

        "Why would she like you?" the voice from before said, sounding bitter. "Just leave her, it's between her, and singing, at least with singing, looks can be overlooked, and can get you somewhere," the voice exclaimed obnoxiously. 

        Seungyeon's anxiety came back. The anxiety she's been hiding, which disappeared momentarily when she met Junghwan, came back. It was her fault, she was being selfish, she was being greedy. Let's be real Seungyeon-ah, he will get a better life singing, his parents would be proud, he could get someone better than me. What can I do? What can I give? He loves me that much until he defies his own instructor, his respected instructor, can I do that for him? Do I deserve him?

        Do I love him enough?

         "Alright, stop this nonsense. Junghwan, please sing something else."

           There was a pause. "Left handed, please." she heard Junghwan say.

            Seungyeon dropped the lunch box as she heard Junghwan sing, she heard the desperation in his voice, the stories he told her, about his rejection due to his looks, circling her mind. She knew singing break up songs were inevitable, and with her around, scandals would erupt. She knew, she was a problem. So as the song was coming to an end, she ran out. All she would ever be, was a huge problem.

         She arrived at the bench they were at before, she sobbed. Millions of thoughts circled her mind. Her crying slowly stopped, and she realised she had been there for an hour, it was time for Junghwan to come out.

         Her phone rang. 

          "Hello? Did you drop of the lunch box? The kimbap looks perfect!" a bright Junghwan exclaimed.

           She took in a breath and said, "Meet me outside." Her voice sounded cold, and she immediately hung up.

           

            "Oh? Ji Seungyeon, what's wrong?" Junghwan said brightly, slightly nervous as he saw the backview of Seungyeon. 

           "Let's stop." she said without turning back. Junghwan stopped in his tracks.

           "I'm tired, I met someone more handsome, and you are getting more boring by the second. So, bye." Seungyeon said monotonously and left. Without looking back at all.

          See, he's not coming for me, he doesn't care. Seungyeon smiled bitterly and felt her tears staining her cheeks.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

       "Woah! We've got the ever so talented Lee Sandeul on show today, promoting his new song called, Crush, is it?" 

        "Yes, Crush is a song about a boy having a one-sided love at someone," Junghwan began explaining cheerfully.

 

         Seungyeon changed the radio channel. "Oh, I like this song," exclaimed Seungyeon as a love song started playing, she looked at her current boyfriend who was driving. The boyfriend grinned, "Me too."

          Her boyfriend then started to spurt out typical first date jokes and Seungyeon mentally sighed as she pretended to laugh. The radio show reminded her of Junghwan, it has been 2 years since he won the National singing competition and he has been garnering attention ever since. Seungyeon shook her head and made herself forget him. As usual, it was not easy. Thinking about him, is stupid, and not beneficial, she mentally engraved that in her mind. 

         They arrived at a cafe and the couple walked to a seat together. She expertly acted innocent, secretly hoping this guy will be the one to make her forget, but at the same time, deep inside she knew that was not the case.  Little did Seungyeon know tho, Junghwan, aka Sandeul was observing her at that moment.

        "She's with another guy again," Sandeul murmured to himself. He saw through her mask, he saw her fake smiles, her wandering eyes, why are you doing this, he thought. He felt hurt, seeing his first love with another man, and looking, unhappy. 

          "Sandeul-ah," someone exclaimed. He then saw his two friends arrive, "Looking at that girl again?" one exclaimed and raised an eyebrow, the other sat opposite him eying the dazed Sandeul. Before he could reply, he met eyes with Seungyeon. She looked surprised, confused and lastly, in pain. Then suddenly, all the pieces in his mind came together. All the queries in his mind was suddenly answered. Millions of thoughts flooded his mind.

        "Hyung, help me." he stated, then turned towards the two men.

 

         Seungyeon turned to her boyfriend and began spurting all the random nonsense she could think of, anything to make her ignore Junghwan's presence. She took a sip of her drink and began leveling up her game. Right then, all she wanted was for Junghwan to go away. She began to become more flirty, but then she unconciously imagined Junghwan in front of her. Oh . 

       "Hi, pretty girl," a figure came towards her table, he smiled, his face was beautiful.

        He eyed her boyfriend and said, "A Prince is here at her aid, so Mr pheasant please leave." 

        Her boyfriend stood up obviously annoyed, and began to say all sorts of swear words, threatening this pretty man to leave. Millions of thoughts were going through her mind, and this was not helping her get any calmer. She stood up, "Sorry but, I don't like people who swear," she smiled and was ready to leave. 

      "Me neither," exclaimed the pretty man, he grabbed Seungyeon's hand and Seungyeon turned towards him. "I'm sorry to interupt but, your eyes kept calling me," he exclaimed and winked. Seungyeon realised her boyfriend had newly found money in his hands, he grinned while looking at the huge amount of cash, and she thought, oh god, I attracted another money crazed freak. do I look that rich?

    Seungyeon then sighed and folded her arms as she forced a smile. "What do you want?"

    "You, of course," he winked, and Seungyeon started to walk away. He grabbed her hand again and apologised, "Just, go out with me for a week? I'm Jung Jinyoung and I only have one week to live." he exclaimed quietly as he looked down. Seungyeon stopped in her tracks, this Jinyoung person sounded sincere. Seungyeon's head spun confused, would people lie about their life? she thought and hence, although a bit sceptical, agreed.

 

 

     One week passed, and they were on their way to an Immortal Song 2 recording, apparently Jinyoung's dream was to be a composer and hence loved music. Unlike most of her flings, Jinyoung actually felt like he cared for her, and she sort of cared for him, she did not know if it was because of his unfortunate situation but he was actually nice. He felt like an older brother, she thought as she slightly smiled. He could never replace him tho.

    They sat down, and Jinyoung began to speak, "Do you know Lee Junghwan? I mean, Sandeul," he chuckled and faced Seungyeon. She felt like someone sprayed her with ice water, as she forced  a smile, and slightly gave a nod.

     "He's performing today, I heard," he exclaimed and grinned. Then suddenly the show started, a lot of things were going on but all she could think about was the fact that Junghwan will be performing that day. He will see her as she was sitting in front. The appearance of Junghwan on the screen made her feel even worse. She was anxious, she wanted to run, she told herself to stay for just one performance, and hence she began to form an excuse to get out of there, but then a huge flaw made an appearance.

   "Lee Sandeul is going to perform first!" exclaimed Lee Dongyup and the screen showed Junghwan nodding with determination. Seungyeon was frozen on the spot. She was about to stand up and leave, but Jinyoung placed his hand over hers, "Junghwan wants you to listen to him," Jinyoung said quietly.

     Seungyeon turned to him and saw him smile apologetically, "Stay alright?" 

      Unconciously she did. She did stay. She realised she wanted to. But she remained quiet. She remained afraid. Ignoring the fact that Jinyoung obviously knew something.

      Lee Dongyeop introduced Sandeul, and came out Lee Sandeul, his glasses were gone, he lost a bit of weight and he looked more handsome than before. He introduced himself, "Hello people, today, I will be singing Come back to me again," he smiled as he heard the reaction of the audience. And suddenly she felt his eyes on her. But then she thought she was just imagining it.

        "There is a reason I chose this song," he began with a smile.

         "2 years ago, I had a girlfriend," he smiled, "She was beautiful and kind, but she left me," the audience reacted with sympathy.

        "At the time, I was not able to react, I did not know how to, I thought she did not like me anymore, but now I found out, she left me to help me, for me to do better in the Competition which brought me here in front of you all today, and so, this song is dedicated to her." Junghwan smiled and Seungyeon knew for sure his eyes were on her. He knew? Seungyeon thought in slight disbelief.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR9vygVqfKY

    The music started and Junghwan looked directly at her. It was as if she was the only one in the audience. As if only the pair were in the room. Everything around them blurred.

    As the piano continued to play, Junghwan's gaze seemed to go further away. Further from the present, closer to the past. Seungyeon watched Junghwan timidly, she felt Junghwan's longing gaze, and hesitantly she softened up.

    "Are you trying to come back to me?" he began as he smiled, his eyes closed as he sang, as if he was seeing flashbacks of the past. His voice caused Seungyeon to unconciously relax, and witness what he was seeing. 

     Junghwan sang, the lyrics showcasing how he felt. The questions he wanted to ask from the past 2 years they were apart, the things he wanted to tell her ever since he knew her reason. Ever since Junghwan knew why she left, ever since he realised she had anxiety, and realising along the way how much of a coward he was. He sang trying to convey that it was okay, that she can come back. He smiled as he sang. The past played between the couple. As if they were watching a gallery of their past.

    The first time they met, the quiet beautiful Seungyeon, the love-struck Junghwan. The awkward meeting, the odd lunch boxes, the random serenades.

     "Think of our break up as a long night," he continued, his smile faded, and Seungyeon felt his reassurance jolt through.

     "My heart still yearns for you, like this," he sang raising his voice. Sincerely confessing his love, his eyes seemed lost in the past.

     "So why are you being hesitant?" he sang, the question aimed to Seungyeon. She felt him ask, why she was making her own life hard.

     "Don't look back," he exclaimed. The images of the tear-stained Seungyeon filled his mind, that day he saw her crying near the bench at the park they had their last date in. The leaves were falling around her, just like that day. She wore a beautiful white dress, her hair lt down, covering her tear-stained face. That day, a year after their break up. That day, when he realised everything.

    "More than the days we spent apart," he continued, and afterwards he smiled as if reassuring her, "there are more days for us to spend together."

    "Are you trying to come back to me again?" he sang as if saying, please come back to me. As if saying you are perfect the way you are, he was transmitting feelings that shows how much he wants her back.

    Then there was a pause. Seungyeon and Junghwan both saw the time suddenly passing through them, rushing to the present, passing the years they spent apart. The images of the unhappy Seungyeon with other men. And for Junghwan the incomplete feeling of being a singer  without her.

   Junghwan felt desperate this time round. No smile was present, only desperation. He sang once more, similar lyrics with a different feel, a different take. This time rather than the Junghwan who felt sorry for Seungyeon, rather than the Junghwan who hated Seungyeon's pain, this Junghwan was selfish. He told her to forget of the past, and take him back.

      This was the Junghwan who wanted Seungyeon for himself. The Junghwan who wanted to stop his celebrity life for her, the Junghwan who was unreasonable.. but sincere. All the personal feelings he felt, ignoring anything logical came out that time, he belted out his desperation, causing the audience to tense up with him. Causing Seungyeon to realise, he really did love her.

    This Junghwan was telling her how stupid she was for thinking he did not want her. Telling her it was obvious he loved her. Telling her, how grateful he was, that a beautiful girl even accepted him in the first place, exclaiming how crazy it was if he did not love this beautiful kind-hearted girl back. 

     But as if he came back to reality, he became reasonable again. He ended with a plea, hoping Seungyeon would take him back. He put his hands together, a gesture made to show how much he wanted her, as if he was asking her for acceptance.

 

 

   The applause which erupted seemed faint, Seungyeon only saw Junghwan, blurry Junghwan. She heard him faintly thank the audience and saw him leave. She felt a figure stand next to her, and she finally remembered where she was and who she was with. Jinyoung smiled and took her hand, "Come on, Sandeul wants to see you," he exclaimed quietly and grinned. With weak knees Seungyeon awkwardly stood up using the chair as support. Jinyoung smiled reassuringly at her. Jinyoung gently took her hand and led her backstage. When they were out of sight, Jinyoung wrapped a blanket around her, slightly hiding her identity. He wore a pass and led Seungyeon to Sandeul.

   Seungyeon felt numb, nothing came through her, she felt weak. When they arrived Jinyoung urged her to go into a room, it was Sandeul's dressing room, Jinyoung followed her after. She felt someone take the blanket off her, and saw him. Lee Sandeul standing in front of her smiling, the same expression he had when he sang the last part of the song. Hopeful and sorrow. "Seungyeon-ah," he began and smiled brightly, he hurriedly grabbed a lunch box, it was the one she left with him the day they broke up. He opened it and offered it to her.

      "Although it's very lacking, yours was more perfect," he lightly laughed as he showed her the kimbap in the container. Junghwan eyed her carefully, slightly nervous.

    Seungyeon's monotonous face suddenly lit up, she lightly laughed and tears fell. Junghwan took her into his arms and grinned.

 

 

   "Woah, happy ending!" Jinyoung exclaimed. 

    The couple who were in the middle of eating their kimbap stared at the pretty boy who came out of nowhere.

     "Oh yeah, so Jinyoung-ssi is not going to die?" Seungyeon questioned. Junghwan slightly choked.

    "WHat?!"

    Jinyoung laughed, "It would be too sad a story for me to die early," he winked. 

    "I didn't tell you to fake your death hyung," Junghwan exclaimed.

    "Well this girl obviously doesn't care much for looks so I went for the sympathy approach, maybe I should be an actor," Jinyoung exclaimed and sat on a chair.