Listen...It's Not THAT Kind of Muffin

To That Beautiful Place

The rest of their day went by in mostly the same manner; once Jonghyun and Taemin finished a movie, they moved onto the next, taking breaks now and then to get snacks. At one point, Jonghyun asked if they could watch Homeward Bound, but Taemin fiercely protested, saying “If you play that goddamn movie, I swear to god I’ll use your shirt as a tissue, and my nose runs a lot when I cry.” Jonghyun grimaced and said that was way too much information, but since it worked, Taemin maintained that it was an amazing tactic. Jonghyun couldn’t argue with that logic.

As the night grew older, Taemin eventually fell asleep on Jonghyun’s shoulder during Fantasia. Taking extra care to not wake him up, Jonghyun held Taemin’s head in both of his hands and placed him on his pillow. With the laptop settled on their legs, still pouring classical music from its speakers, Jonghyun propped himself on his side to silently admire his boyfriend. Taemin’s skin was bathed a dark blue from the light of the laptop, his plump lips parted slightly as puffs of air slipped through them, making Jonghyun wonder how he managed to control the urge to kiss Taemin before they dated. He raised his hand and hovered it above Taemin’s head as if he was going to run his fingers through his hair, but decided against it with a sigh. Sitting up as carefully as he could, Jonghyun pulled his laptop towards himself and closed the lid. He shivered as his bare feet hit the wood floor, holding his laptop to his chest as he stood next to the bed, Taemin’s sleeping figure barely visible in the darkness. After a moment, he tip-toed towards the bedroom door, taking one last look at Taemin. He made sure not to make a sound as he shut the door behind him before turning around and resting the back of his head against it. The grip on his laptop became even tighter as he in a breath, letting it out in an audible sigh, eyes suddenly heavy.

He stood there for what felt like hours, trying to delay going to his own room for as long as possible. The sooner he went to sleep, the sooner he woke up, and he didn’t want tomorrow to come.

Because he knew he had to break up with Taemin.


Taemin barely had a moment to rub the sleep from his eyes before he realized the serious lack of Jonghyun in his bed. He only had a moment to be confused when his thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. Groaning, he snatched one of his extra pillows and placed it on his face, letting out a muffled “come in”, not really caring whether or not the person at the door could hear.

They did, however, and let themselves into the room. “Taemin?” Jonghyun’s voice asked from beside Taemin’s bed.

Taemin threw the pillow from his face and onto the mattress. He tried opening his eyes a smidgen to look at Jonghyun, but had to shut them tight when the light coming from the windows threatened to blind him. “It’s too bright. Make it stop.” He mumbled, using his arms as an extra barrier from the harsh light.

“Well, it is almost summer.” Jonghyun said, heading towards the windows. Taemin heard something metallic being placed on his glass coffee table before the ruffling of his curtains being pulled across the rods. “You can open your eyes now.”

“So much…effort…” Taemin whined, sitting up on his bed and managing to open one eye. The eye that was cooperating landed on his coffee table. “You got me breakfast again?”

“It’s just coffee and a blueberry muffin, actually.” Jonghyun replied, placing his hands in his pockets. “I didn’t have enough time to cook anything.”

Taemin hummed in understanding, kicked his covers off with his legs, and made his way to one of the loveseats across from the table. “Did you sleep well, then?” He said, taking the muffin in his hands.

“Better than usual, yeah.” Jonghyun lied through his teeth. He actually hadn’t slept a wink, but since he didn’t want Taemin to worry…

He crouched down to sit in the other chair, but Taemin shook his head at him. He paused before Taemin started making grabby motions with his free hand. Belatedly, he stood back up and walked to Taemin, who patted the spot next to him. Jonghyun reluctantly sat next to him, back stiff.

Still chewing on his muffin, Taemin rested his head on Jonghyun’s shoulder, not caring about the crumbs that could potentially fall on either of their laps. “Have you thought about going to sleep therapy?” Taemin asked, taking another bite.

“A bit.” Jonghyun said, hands clasped in his lap.

Taemin finished the muffin in one big bite and lifted his head, facing Jonghyun with stuffed cheeks, who smiled despite himself. He swallowed, with a bit of a struggle, before he said, “You should try it. I really can’t have a sleepy boyfriend. What if you fall asleep during a date?”

Jonghyun cleared his throat. “You know, if I start sleeping more, I may not be able to make you breakfast everyday.”

“Oh yeah.” Taemin said, reaching across the table and pouring the creamer and sugar into his coffee simultaneously. “You know, there’s this new thing called cereal I was thinking about trying. It only takes one person to make it, too.” He sipped his coffee with a small grin.

“In that case, you should definitely try it.” Jonghyun’s smile faltered. “I may not always be here.”


Well, breakfast was a bust, Jonghyun thought, gripping the steering wheel to his limo. But I’m still gonna do it. I’m really gonna break up with Taemin this time. He let out a shaky breath as that last line echoed in his mind.

. He was actually going to do this.

He sat stone-faced as he ran through how the conversation would go in his mind before his heart nearly leapt out from his rib cage as the passenger door opened. Jonghyun held his hand to his chest as Taemin chuckled, climbing into the vehicle.

“Geez, are you okay?” Taemin said, suppressing another giggle, fastening his seat belt. “I wasn’t expecting you to jump like that.”

Jonghyun took his hand from his chest, heart still pounding, and turned the key to start the limo. “I was just…thinking about stuff.”

“What kind of stuff?” Taemin asked, leaning towards Jonghyun in anticipation.

Jonghyun spared a glance from the road, startled when he was met with Taemin mere centimeters from his face. He looked away, blushing, and Taemin laughed again and closed the distance with a kiss to Jonghyun’s cheek before settling back into his own chair.

“Why’re you so jumpy today? Is it because of the scary guy in Fantasia?” Taemin cooed in an exaggerated baby tone, pinching Jonghyun’s cheek. “Did he scare my little Jjongie-hyung?”

“Chernabog. And no, he didn’t.” Jonghyun answered, nudging Taemin’s hand away. “And don’t ever call me ing ‘little Jjongie’ again.”

“Okay, regular sized Jjongie.” Taemin laughed when Jonghyun shot him a glare, one hand covering his mouth and the other clutching his stomach.

It was then that Jonghyun knew this was another bust.


After his plan B fell through, Jonghyun quickly devised his third plan; breaking up with Taemin on the way back home. It was foolproof.

The only downside was that he had to mentally prepare himself all over again. Staring blankly ahead, it took him a moment after seeing Taemin approaching the car to actually register who he was.

And he was not alone.

Jonghyun could only watch from the driver seat as Taemin walked right past the side door, followed by Minho. The back door was opened instead and their excited conversation moved to the back seat, Taemin only pausing it for a moment to quickly ask Jonghyun if he wouldn’t mind taking Minho back to the mansion with them.

He waved his hand in dismissal and started the ignition, fighting the urge to smack his head against the steering wheel.

There goes plan C.


“Karaoke?” Taemin asked, incredulous.

“Hell yeah!” Kibum said, wrapping his arm around Minho’s shoulders, who was sitting on his lap. “I got free passes because my cousin’s sister’s aunt didn’t want them, so now I have them.”

“Should Minho really be sitting on your lap while you’re working?” Jonghyun said, pointedly looking at Kibum’s desk and the still-open laptop on it.

“Like I haven’t done worse.” Kibum replied, rolling his eyes.

“Why me though? Couldn’t you have roped someone else into this?” Taemin whined as he crossed his arms, pretending to be annoyed. He actually really wanted to spend time with Minho, not that he’d ever let Kibum know that.

“Minho wanted you to come with.” Kibum scoffed. “Like I would ever ask you to be our token stick in the mud. I’m not that desperate.”

Taemin opened his mouth in protest before Minho interrupted, “We just have to get him drunk, Bummie.” Minho said, clutching Kibum’s shirt collar. “Come on, we can’t go by ourselves. We wouldn’t even get any singing done.”

“That’s not necessarily a bad thing.” Kibum replied, tilting his head.

Taemin curled his upper lip in disgust. “Just for that, I’m going to purposefully you two the entire time.”

“So you’ll come with?!” Minho beamed, nearly bouncing out of Kibum’s lap.

Taemin nodded. “If only just to annoy you.”

“In that case, I’ll leave you guys to it.” Jonghyun said, starting towards the hallway, hands in his pockets.

“Uh, think again dickwad.” Kibum’s voice halted him in his tracks. “If Minho gets to bring someone along, so do I. You’re coming too.”

Jonghyun turned around and glared at Kibum. “Seriously?”

Kibum smiled in a way Jonghyun thought made him look like the devil. “Wouldn’t want to leave Taemin alone with us, now would you?”

“Can you not?” Taemin spoke from the side.

“See? He wants you to come along, too.” Kibum said, gesturing towards Taemin.

“I meant can you not make ual jokes about me, .” Taemin said, and Kibum flipped him off. Taemin returned the gesture before turning towards Jonghyun. “Although, I would like it much better if you were there with me, hyung.” He said, blush creeping up his cheeks. “It’ll be just like the other day in the video game room.”

Jonghyun met Taemin’s eyes, giving him a soft look that Taemin knew meant ‘yes’. Taemin laughed behind his hand, casting his eyes downwards.

Minho confusedly looked between the two. “Wait, what happened in the video game room?” He suddenly gasped and his already large eyes widened in realization. “Aw sick, I SAT on that couch, you guys!”


“OF THE WOOOOOOORLD!!!!” Minho shouted at the top of his lungs, dramatically falling on his knees. He looked up to his three friends on the couch, seeking approval. Jonghyun clapped while Taemin and Kibum silently ate from their bag of shrimp crackers.

“I…” Minho paused as he breathed heavily, “I feel like you two are judging me.”

“We are.” Taemin and Kibum answered simultaneously, both turning and sneering at each other.

Minho snorted, walking across the dimly lit room to hand the mic to the next performer, who happened to be Jonghyun. “It’s a shame you two hate each other; you’re a lot alike.”

“No we’re not!” They shouted at the same time, before Taemin pushed against Kibum’s face and scooched away from him and closer to Jonghyun.

“Name five differences.” Minho said, plopping down next to Kibum.

Taemin hummed in thought, quickly finding an answer when he saw Jonghyun holding a tablet in the corner of his eye. “I have better taste in men than you do.” Taemin said, wrapping himself around Jonghyun’s arm. Jonghyun tensed and continued searching for a song.

Kibum let out a sharp laugh. “Yeah, I’m so glad I chose Minho instead of an old dude who lied to his boyfriend.” He replied, mouth full of chewed up crackers. Taemin kicked him in the thigh, causing a bit of food to fly out of his mouth as he sputtered.

“Ow!” Kibum yelled, placing his hand over the inflicted area. “You’re not supposed to actually hurt me!”

“Well you’re not supposed to stick your stupid face into other people’s relationships but you did anyways.” Taemin said, sticking out his tongue.

“Oh look, I found a song, everyone listen to me sing now!” Jonghyun stood and walked closer to the television, leaving Taemin behind on the couch, who just laid down where Jonghyun had been.

The sound of a piano playing filled the room as Jonghyun held the mic up to his lips. “You’re so rock and roll, roll,” He sang.

He couldn’t even make it one line into the song before Kibum started talking over him, making him roll his eyes.

“We should be in a boy band.” Kibum said.

“Why? Do you need your waxed even more than it is?” Taemin asked, lying on his back. Kibum raised his hand to slap him but Minho grabbed his wrist, interlocking their fingers instead.

“I was being serious. We have you, the dancer.” Taemin opened his mouth to ask how he knew that but Kibum kept talking, “Jonghyun, the singer, Minho, the one no one can figure out why he’s there…” Minho’s eyebrows raised and he stared at Kibum in disbelief. Kibum pecked his lips quickly before continuing, “You know I love you.” Minho pouted but let him continue. “And then of course there’s me, the one who’s good at everything.” He said, smirking.

Taemin spit a bit of his soju out.

“Good at what, exactly?!” Taemin laughed, soju dripping from his chin.

“Oh you know, singing, dancing, acting, being gorgeous, the usual stuff.” Kibum said, counting each of his talents on his hand. “I’m the eighth wonder of the universe.” Taemin laughed again, making Kibum scowl.

“If anyone here is all those things, it’s Taemin.” Jonghyun interrupted, finished with his song. He passed the mic to Kibum, who all but snatched it from him. He rolled his eyes and sat on the very edge of the couch, trying to fit in the small space left that wasn’t occupied by Taemin.

Taemin turned his head to face Jonghyun, eyeing the way he was about to fall off at any second. “Hey dork, you’re supposed to lift my head and put it on your lap.”

Jonghyun paused, eyes darting around uncertainly. He mentally cursed himself before deciding to do just what Taemin had said. It’s not like he could say anything to Taemin right now.

“I’ll prove that I’m the best.” Kibum said, briskly rising from the couch and bounding towards the screen, as if being closer to the lyrics would help him sing better. “Prepare your ears because this is going to break them.”

“Is that a…good thing?” Taemin asked.

“Maybe not for you, but it is for me!” Kibum laughed, high pitched voice reverberating through the speakers.

Taemin sighed, grabbing his soju glass from the table. He was gonna need it for this.


As the night went on, the weirder the song choices became and the louder the boys were. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to make karaoke booths mostly soundproof was a very smart individual. They weren’t too worried about volume control because of the soundproofing. And also because the youngest two were very drunk, the elders having more years to build up a tolerance. However, even in his hazy state of mind, Jonghyun could mentally slap himself for not remembering Taemin’s drinking habit.

“Hyuuung~” Taemin sing-songed, arms grasped firmly around Jonghyun’s neck. He was sitting on top of Jonghyun’s lap, who had placed the palms of his hands awkwardly on the couch cushions.

“What is it, Taeminnie?” Jonghyun asked, choosing to look at Kibum and Minho doing some kind of interpretive dance with the tambourines they had found instead of  Taemin.

“Gimme a kiss!” Taemin said, puckering his lips. Jonghyun unconsciously bit his own in worry, which Taemin mistook as arousal, leaning in closer.

Jonghyun’s head hit the wall behind him trying to back away. “You smell like alcohol and shrimp.” He said, placing his hand over Taemin’s mouth and gently trying to push him away. He shouted in disgust after Taemin his palm, quickly pulling his hand away.

“I’ll just kiss somewhere else then.” Taemin hummed, lowering his head to Jonghyun’s neck. Jonghyun squeezed his eyes shut; inexperience and alcohol combining into kisses that were wet and sloppy and just plain uncomfortable. Not to mention that Kibum and Minho were still there, tripling the awkwardness of the situation.

“Taemin, stop.” Jonghyun said, lightly pushing against Taemin’s shoulders until he detached his mouth from Jonghyun’s neck.

“What is it?” Taemin smiled, lips shimmering and forehead slick with sweat. Jonghyun nearly groaned.

“I…” He choked out, mouth hanging open dumbly as he searched Taemin’s face. “I can’t do this.”

“Do what?” Taemin asked, tilting his head to the side.

Taking a deep breath through his nose to help clear his mind, Jonghyun spoke, eyes focused on Taemin’s. “I can’t do this. With you. Not anymore.”

Sitting back on his heels, Taemin’s face went sullen with realization. “What do you mean?” He said, voice suddenly weak.

“We have to stop this, Taemin-ah. I’m sorry.”

Taemin didn’t spare a passing glance as he stood up, shutting the door on his way out.