Speeches

Shiritsu Bakaleya Koukou

"Rin-chan, congratulations!” Fumie smiles proudly, handing Rin back a packet.

“What’s this?” asks Rin, taking the packet with both hands. She begins scanning through it and Fumie’s other paper before looking up at Fumie in shock. “This is a joke right? How?”

“It’s because you’ve worked hard, congratulations,” repeats Fumie, shaking Rin’s hand. “You are now Catteleya’s number two student.”

“Thank you Fumie-san,” gasps Rin. “It means so much that you personally gave me this.”

“Of course I had to do it personally,” Fumie says, putting a hand on Rin’s shoulder. “You’re becoming more of a Catteleya student, it’s something to celebrate.” At this, an idea makes its way into Rin’s head, but she debates on if she should ask Fumie or not. “Is something the matter?”

‘Fumie is a kindhearted person, maybe she will allow this,’ thinks Rin. “Actually, I have a favor to ask of you. I know that you will win the election for sure—“

“No, I believe Tatsuya-kun is also giving it his all, so the outcome is not yet decided,” Fumie interrupts. Rin smiles at her. Even though Fumie is definitely the better politician between the two, she is still facing Tatsuya as an equal and would not underestimate him. “I’m sorry. That was rude of me for interrupting. What were you saying?”

“Well, if Fumie-san wins the election,” Rin says slowly, choosing her words carefully. “I hope it will be alright for the boys to keep their desks. They’re very important to them, so would it be okay for them to at least have their desks back?” Fumie stays silent for a few seconds, and Rin begins fearing that she would reject the request. “Please!” She bows to Fumie, praying with all her might that Fumie would agree.

“Please, raise your head, Rin-chan,” Fumie says kindly. “I guess it will be alright. It does seem cruel to take away everything they love, so if I win, I will allow them to move their desks back.”

“Really?” Rin gasps in happiness. “Thank you! Fumie-san, thank you!”

“On one condition,” Fumie interrupts again. “You can’t tell them about this detail. I fear that if Tatsuya-kun finds out, he will not work as hard. I want him to fight him with all his might.”

“I promise I won’t tell anyone about this favor,” Rin promsies with a huge smile.

“Good, now go help him,” orders Fumie. “Saya and Sayuri have gone to give him the schedule for tomorrow. However, I believe Tatsuya-kun may not understand how an election works, given his recent actions. Therefore, I hope you will help him reach his full potential.” Hearing this, Rin looks at her with wide eyes, not knowing if Fumie is joking or not.

“Really?” Rin asks. “You really want me to help your opponent win against you? Is that really okay?” Fumie nods. “Okay, thank you, Fumie-san. I’ll be off now!” She walks out the door, running into Tetsuya. “Tetsuya-kun!”

“Ah, Rin,” Tetsuya greets casually. “Hey, I’m heading out for a bit, can you go help Tatsuya? He’s in our meeting room. I’m counting on you.” Before she can ask, Tetsuya pats her head and leaves. Despite her confusion, Rin feels as if she’s floating due to Tetsuya’s words. ‘I’m counting on you’ repeats in her mind as she walks down the hall.

‘Maybe some light will shed when I find Tatsuya,’ Rin says in her mind, entering the meeting room. “Tatsuya-san?”

“Damn it!” whines Tatsuya, throwing his pencil.

“Tatsuya-san! What’s wrong?” Rin asks worriedly, dropping her bags on a nearby chair as she runs to his side.

“Rin! You’ve gotta help me!” Tatsuya cries, shaking her by the shoulders. “Those girls told me I have to write a speech but I don’t even know what to do!” He suddenly stops. “Wait! Rin! You’ve got high grades in writing class! Write the speech for me!”

“First off, calm down,” Rin urges, taking his hands off her and pushing him back in his seat. “Second, if I write it, which I’m not, it won’t be from your heart or sound like it’s the true Bakada leader.”

“You think I’m the true Bakada leader?” Tatsuya asks hopefully, looking at her with teary eyes, touched at her title.

“Un, so come on, I’ll help you write that speech to claim your spot as Bakada’s head,” Rin encourages.

 

~An Hour Later~

 

“Tatsuya-san, come on, you’ve got to form what you want to say into full sentences,” sighs Rin. “Why do you want to be the student body president?” So far all they’ve got is his name and a few papers thrown on the ground.

“I told you I don’t! I just want to put our plaque back up!” Tatsuya cries, breaking yet another pencil out of frustration.

“Tatsuya-san!” shouts Rin, picking up the broken pieces. “Mou… that was my good pencil.” The door suddenly opens, and in walks Tetsuya with three books by his side.

“I thought you went home already,” Tatsuya hisses. With a smirk, Tetsuya tosses the books in front of Tatsuya. “These…”

“I’m not giving these to you,” Tetsuya warns him. “You can’t read six-compounds anyway. I’ll read them and teach you.” Rin lets out a soft giggle at Tetsuya’s friendly S side as Tatsuya smirks back. The door opens again, and this time Shohei comes in.

“I left a girl behind you for you, you know,” teases Shohei. “She looked like she was about to cry too.”

“You have a girlfriend now?” Rin asks him, smiling. This causes Shohei to tense up while the leader and his second hand grin at Shohei’s face.

“Sorry, Rin-chan!” Shohei apologizes. “I guess I prefer older girls after all!”Rin simply shrugs it off, not hurt by it at all. Then, one by one the boys start entering the room, each huffing and puffing as if they ran a marathon.

“If it’s the eight of us, it’ll be well written, right?” smirks Yuki.

“Helping friends is what Bakada is about, isn’t it?” Makoto reminds him.

“You said the eight of us,” smiles Rin, feeling happiness swell up inside her. Yuki blushes at her catching his number.

“I-it’s not that I a-accepted you, it’s because you w-were here so I accidentally counted you too,” he stutters.

“Well whatever, let’s get started, shall we?” Tetsuya asks, getting them all back on track.

“Good luck, we started an hour ago and all we got is this,” sighs Rin, handing the boys a list of what Tatsuya wants to do as the leader.

“This actually isn’t a bad start,” Maya tells her.

“We just need to help him organize it,” agrees Tetsuya, going through his books.

 

~Another hour later~

 

“How about ‘Vote for me(Ore)’?” asks Tatsuya.

“No, no, you can’t use ‘ore’,” Shohei tells him, grinning.

“Shohei-san is right, it’s too informal for such a thing,” Rin adds.

“Wouldn’t it be more poetic to use ‘watashi’?” Maya suggests.

“Wait, wait, I’m not a girl!” Tatsuya denies. “I’m a guy.”

“If you’re gonna be like this, use something else,” Yuki laughs, looking at Rin for help. “Ne, Rin, you’re more experienced with sophistication, do you have any ideas?”

“What about using ‘boku’?” Rin asks. “It’s still used for boys, and it’s more formal than ‘ore’.”

“Perfect! Let’s go with that!” Satoshi cheers, telling Tatsuya to hurry up and write.

You’re alright, girl,” Yuki chuckles, patting her on the back. However he pats her so hard, she ends up being pushed against Tetsuya a bit, causing her to blush and Maya to smirk at her.

Thank you, Yuki,” Rin replies in English when she sits back up. This causes Yuki to yell loudly and whoop with Makoto.

“Why didn’t you tell me you can speak English?!” he demands playfully. “Now we can speak in English all the time!”

“No, please don’t!” groans Makoto. Everyone begins laughing at his distressed antics while Yuki begins teasing him in English.

 

~Day of the Election~

 

While the candidates and their groups went to the office to do their speeches, Rin decided to listen in class instead. She’s finally become number two, so she definitely can’t risk losing that spot. As Fumie speaks, the girls listen respectfully, feeling her emotions reach them through the intercom. When she finally finishes, Rin sits there, awaiting Tatsuya’s speech. It won’t be as moving as Fumie’s, but after yesterday, it was definitely something Rin is looking forward to hearing. However, instead of Tatsuya’s voice, another one is heard.

“And so, Catteleya Academy Second Branch’s president is… Shingyoji Fumie!” the man announces, causing the girls to clap, boys to kick desks, but for Rin to suddenly drop her hands.

“As expected of our Fumie, ne?” the girls chorus.

“No way,” gasps Rin. “What happened? Why didn’t Tatsuya give his speech?” She abruptly stands up from her seat. “I’m s-sorry! Please excuse me!” Without another word, Rin rushes to the office to find out what’s going on. She runs in, accidentally hitting Makoto and Yuki in the back with the door. “S-sorry! Tatsuya, what happened to your speech?”

“He was late,” Yuki hisses angrily.

“After what we did for him too,” Shohei adds in annoyance. Rin glances at the distraught Tatsuya with disappointment in her eyes. That’s when she noticed something.

“Why were you fighting?” she asks, causing Tatsuya to look up at her in surprise while Tetsuya smiles at her.

“Eh? What do you mean?” Satoshi asks.

“You can tell just be looking at him, right?” Tetsuya asks them. “He’s been fighting. And he isn’t the kind of guy who gets into pointless fights. There must’ve been a reason behind it.”

“And that’s why you were late, isn’t it?” Rin adds, to which Tatsuya nods. The guys begin changing their attitudes and praising Tatsuya instead. However despite their merry mood, Rin turns to look at the glaring girls. Fumie steps up toward him.

“I’m very disappointed,” she states angrily before turning to her group of friends. “Let’s go.” Everyone watches awkwardly as they walk past them as if they aren’t there. Right after Fumie leaves, something hits Rin.

“Oh no!” she gasps, chasing after Fumie right away and ignoring the guys calling for her. “Fumie-san!”

“Rin-chan, I’m sorry but our deal will have to be voided,” Fumie apologizes. “I can’t reward someone who won’t give his best for what he cares about.”

“But Fumie-san, please wait! He must’ve had a good reason to be late,” pleads Rin.

“He got into a fight,” reminds Saya. “Pardon me for my rudeness, but a fight does not sound like a good reason.”

“But—“ Rin is interrupted when a child runs up to them and hands Fumie some papers.

“Excuse me, can you pass this to the Student Body President candidate for me?” he asks. “He dropped it.”

“Where did he drop it?” Saya asks as Fumie glances over his speech.

“He dropped it when he saved me from being cornered,” answers the boy. Hope once again fills Rin’s heart, as well as admiration and pride for her friend. “Well, I’ll leave it to you!” With that, the boy runs off.

“So that’s why he was late,” Saya says in realization.

“I knew Tatsuya-kun had a good reason,” Rin smiles happily.

“Rin-chan, I’m sorry for doubting you and your friends,” apologizes Fumie, returning Rin’s smile kindly. “Our deal is back on.” The boys suddenly exit the school loudly, with Tatsuya apologizing loudly and playfully.

“He should’ve said something,” Says mumbles, full of guilt.

“I might not have known him for long, but Tatsuya-kun doesn’t make excuses,” Rin answers like a proud mother. “He does good things without realizing his own merits.” The three exchange looks until Tetsuya calls for Rin.

“Rin! Come on, I’ll walk you home!” he yells, waving her to come.

“Go, and good luck, Rin-chan,” Fumie giggles, giving the blushing girl a slight push. “Whenever you don’t walk home with him, let’s walk home together.”

“Un,” Rin agrees, beginning to walk toward Tetsuya.

“What were you talking to them about?” he asks when she reaches him.

“I can’t tell you, I promised Fumie I wouldn’t say it,” states Rin, smiling. “I’m sorry that Tatsuya didn’t win today.”

“It’s fine, he’s still our true leader,” replies Tetsuya.