Through My Lens

Through My Lens

Jungkook neatly weaved through the people down the boardwalk. The dirty stares he got didn’t affect him. All that really mattered was that one, he never ran into anyone and two, his precious camera remained unharmed. The black piece of hardware is his best friend as well as his gateway out from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. The highlight of any day for him was getting away and snapping some shots. He didn’t have a subject, nor did he have anything that he wanted to portray through his photos. His aim was to depict the beauty in the simple things that we seem to forget as we live day-to-day.

As he skated past all the tourists snapping shots in front of the ocean with their camera phones, he scoffed. Sure, they were capturing the memories and probably posting that photo to their friends saying “Hey, I was here!” they were missing a whole element that could be added to that photo. People tend to forget that photography is an art as most people have camera phones these days, anyone can be a photographer.

He arrived at his destination. Strapping his skateboard to his backpack, he began his hike towards the image that he had imprinted in his head ever since the first time he strolled through this pier. Carefully maneuvering over the rocks covered in seaweed and algae, Jungkook took some intermediate shots as he climbed up. Algae – a sign that life always finds a way in the most barren of environments. Anyway, onto the next one.

When he found his subject, he set down his bag and sat down on the boulder comfortably and began shooting. The lighthouse. It was a bit eerie. So barren. And yet it had a strange beauty to it that caught Jungkook’s attention. For centuries, this lighthouse was the beacon for hundreds of boats, signalling to sailors that this, indeed, was land and that their time at sea had ended. They were home.

Steadying himself against the heavy winds blowing over the ocean, he scanned the area around the lighthouse and spotted a person through his viewfinder. Shocked, he looked away and blinked a few times before looking again. She was beautiful – her long red hair swept through the wind under her black brimmed hat. As Jungkook zoomed in with his lens to focus on her, his phone rang with a call from his friend, Jimin, “Yah Jungkookie! Where are you? We have basketball practice later.” He said on the other end. “I’ll be there, don’t worry.” Jungkook said coolly before hanging up and slipping his phone into his back pocket.

Due to the distraction of Jimin, he lost his subject, the red haired girl. Scanning the rocks around the lighthouse again, he couldn’t seem to find her. Continuing to search the bridge leading to the pier from the lighthouse, Jungkook scanned over quickly and passed over a hint of red in his viewfinder. When he pulled his lens back towards the touch of red, he focussed and saw that she was also holding a camera and she was pointing her lens right at him.

Once again, he looked away and blinked a few times before looking back into his viewfinder. There was no doubt, he was the subject of her photo and vice-versa. He couldn’t see her face clearly but her hands cradled her camera so gently and he noticed a slight smile creep across her face as she played with her lens.  Jungkook gulped at the feeling that she was looking right through him via their camera lenses. Who is she?

With another deep breath…

*SNAP*