The Dog

You're my Pet

June Hye POV

 

I looked around. It was my turn.

‘’Hello, my name is Lee June Hye and I’m 17.’’

‘’Hello June Hye’’ everyone greeted me with big and scary smiles.

‘’Please tell us, what is the reason for you being here? What are you afraid of?’’ an old lady asked.

I’m here because my mom thinks I’m crazy and if I don’t come, she’ll make me live with dad again, I thought.

‘’Well, I’m here because…’’ I stop, thinking why was I there. I didn’t have that of a big problem. I was just afraid. ‘’ I’m here because I’m afraid of dogs.’’ Everyone looked at me, some trying to contain their laugh. The reason I was there was so stupid that I wanted to laugh too. Who would go to a counseling group just because a fear of dogs? Me, because of my mom.

Let me tell you a story… When I was 16 my mom and dad decided to move to another town because of work (and a couple months after the divorced, but that’s a different story). I was really sad, so (after a lot of begging and promises) they told me I could stay in Seul. Obviously I wasn’t going to live completely alone. An ajumma would come every day and my grandparents lived right next to me. My apartment was nrº 203, their nrº 204. Then, at 16 I started my almost independent live. But what has that to do with my dog fear? Well, I always had that fear, but with my new apartment, new neighbors came. The whole street was full of houses with noisy dogs. I couldn’t make a step outside the building without all the dogs start barking. Since then, to avoid the noise, school became my only reason to go out. That’s why I was there. Ajumma told my mother that I was always locked at home, and would rarely come out if not for school. She thought I was suffering from depression because I felt lonely, and since now she was living in America, she felt she couldn’t do anything, and made me attend this stupid counseling group.

‘’Can you explain your fear, my dear?’’ The same old lady spoke, looking very serious.

‘’So… Ahm… Well, that’s it. I’m afraid of dogs. And because of them, I stay at home if I don’t have school.’’

The old woman just stared at me. She didn’t know what to say, neither I, so we just stared at each other until she finally spoke.

‘’Well, let’s end it here. Let’s give a round applause to everyone for being here and see you next Monday!’’ Everyone applauded and got up. I did the same, hiding my embracement, and exited the room. It was almost night so I started heading home.

 

Baekhyun POV

 

What is happening? WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING? Baekhyun, just keep calm. Just keep yourself ing calm. I need to find help and now! I looked around and no one was here. The school was already empty. There was no one here to help me, or at least I though, before I noticed a small group of people exiting one of the school pavilions. They were all almost adults except one. A girl. A girl with the school uniform was following the group towards the school’s gate. It was my opportunity to get help. I started following her, hoping she wasn’t going to catch any public transport. I needed to get her attention, but how? Then, I had an idea…

 

June Hye POV

 

Was I being followed? I could hear the steps… But they weren’t human steps. I took a deep breath and tried to calm myself. Maybe it was a cat or, just some dry leaves. But the noise kept following me till the street where I live and I was sure it wasn’t a cat or dry leaves. I looked at the sky that was almost dark and took another deep breath. Then I looked behind me. A dog was there. It was small and was looking at me. I closed my eyes, praying for it to disappear but God doesn’t like me that much. Please, don’t bark. Just disappear. Please. Please. Please. As if the dog was reading my mind, it barked, and my wonderful neighbors’ dogs started playing their wonderful orchestra.

‘’Damn it, shut up!’’ It was hopeless. The small dog barked again, still looking at me. ‘’What do you want?’’ I shouted and he barked again making me turn away and walk home not giving a damn to the dogs. But I should have.

I was already in the elevator when I noticed the small dog next to my feet, looking at me. I froze and as soon as the doors opened I started running to my apartment’s door. But the dog didn’t gave up and followed me, as if I was its owner.

‘’Go home, okay??’’ He didn’t followed my order. Maybe he just wants food. Just give him food and then send him away.

‘’Is food what you want? Okay then. But then leave!’’ I opened the door, and like I suspected, the dog came in. I must be insane. Yes, I’m insane, I thought, as I walked towards the kitchen.

I didn’t had any dog food, of course, so instead I opened some ham and put it on the floor. The dog looked at me, and then at the ham. As if he didn’t had any other option he started eating it.

Leaving the dog in the kitchen, I went to my room to change.

‘’Let’s be quick… You don’t know what that animal can do’’ I sighed. I had a dog at home. Me, the one who completely hates dogs. Me, the one who...

The sound of plates breaking waked me up from my thoughts. I rushed to the kitchen and then everything just became blurred. Everything, except the guy standing in front of me, covering his ‘’thing’’ with a plate.

Then, I out.