Schizophrenia

Schizophrenia
schizophrenia
ˌskɪtsə(ʊ)ˈfriːnɪə/
noun
 
  1. a long-term mental disorder of a type involving a breakdown in the relation between thought, emotion, and behaviour, leading to faulty perception, inappropriate actions and feelings, withdrawal from reality and personal relationships into fantasy and delusion, and a sense of mental fragmentation.
    • (in general use) a mentality or approach characterized by inconsistent or contradictory elements.
      "Gibraltar's schizophrenia continues to be fed by colonial pride"
       
       

 

Seokjin walked away from the cafeteria after finished the lunchbox that he had prepared for himself. He headed towards the notice board situated in front of the school hall. From afar, he could already saw a crowd of students surrounding the notice board, stretching their necks to look at the paper taped on it. Some looked happy while others looked sad or disappointed. He smiled lightly. Actually, he didn't have to walk all the way to the notice board to check his ranking in the mid-term exam. He already guessed his. It was the same every year. However, his calm and steady footsteps never stop until he reached the notice board.

"It's the student president!" One of the girls who was standing behind the crowd whispered to her friends when she saw Seokjin walked towards them. As the whispers spread, all the students who were cramming around the notice board a moment ago parted, leaving a path that leads to the notice board for the student president. Seokjin smiled again.

"Yah! Student president,what brings you here?" A hand grabbed Seokjin by the shoulder and pulled him closer to a guy that flashed him a set of white teeth. The other students gasped, shocked by the guy's action. How can someone acts so recklessly in front of the student president? 

"I'm here to check my results, Hoseok. What do you think I'm here for?" Seokjin replied calmly while taking his friend's hand off his shoulder gently. Hoseok was always like this, grinning like he never had anything to worry about even when he failed his exams or forgot to do his homeworks. He was always full of energy and happiness constantly oozed out from him. I'm your Hope, he had always said that to his friends. On the other hand, Seokjin was an industrious and obedient student. He was stern to himself, always making sure that he finished the works that were assigned to him and never failed to double check his works. He wanted his works to be perfect. Because of this, he was chosen by the teachers and students to be the student president. And he loved his position as a student president more than any normal student did. They were from two different world, Seokjin and Hoseok. Hoseok's bright character had brought light into Seokjin's dull and colourless world. And maybe that's why he was Seokjin's only best friend and the only one that dare to befriend him, considering other students were either too afraid of their stern student president or found him a nerd that they didn't bother to approach Seokjin.

"It's too obvious, Jin. Who could have beaten you from your No. 1 position? You're too much of a genius for everyone here." Hoseok laughed. Ignoring his friend, Seokjin trailed his eyes on the notice board until he came across his name.

Kim Seokjin - Top 1

As always. Seokjin smiled. Satisfied, he turned and walked back to his classroom, smilling and chatting with Hoseok.

That night, after finishing his homework and did his revision, Seokjin went to bed at around 10.30pm. Exactly three hours later, a black figure appeared on his windowsill, looking around carefully before leaping out of his room into the dark night.

 

"Hey, Jinseok! You've finally arrived! The party is about to begin!" A guy wearing sunglasses in the club shouted over the deafening loud music to a black figure who just entered. The black figure take off his black mask that covered half of his lower face before he grinned and nodded. Upon receiving the signal, the sunglasses guy put on his headphone and shouted into the mic.

"People! This is your DJ, Rap Monster speaking! The moment we've been waiting is finally here! Our party starts RIGHT NOW!!!"

Rap Monster started the music and signalled the black figure. In a flash, Jinseok stripped off his black outfit, revealing his black leather jacket and white T-shirt he wore and his ripped jeans that fitted perfectly on his long legs. He jumped onto the small stage in the center of the dance floor and started dancing to the music, each movement was strong and perfectly on beat, powerful and elegance at the same time. Only one word was able to describe his dance movements. Flawless. The crowd that surrounded him cheered and whistled for him. Slowly, the volume of the music is rised to the loudest and everyone in the club started dancing and shaking their bodies to the music. With the rock music continuous booming into clubbers' ears, everyone went wild and crazy on the dance floor that night.

 

Seokjin yawned for the nth times in his class today. He was feeling extremely exhausted despite going to sleep early yesterday as usual and his whole body ached. He shook his head and focused his attention on the blackboard again. He let out a sigh of relief when the bell finally rang signalling the school was over for the day. He quickly packed his stuff, wanting none other than laying on his cozy bed right now.

"Hey Jin, you looked really tired today. What were you doing yesterday? Watching s in the midnight?" Hoseok who had already packed his bag joked.

"Like I would do such a thing." Seokjin laughed. "No, I wasn't watching s last night. I studied and went to sleep at 10.30pm, like usual."

"Then, why are you so tired today?" Hoseok raised his eyebrow.

"I don't know." Seokjin replied.

Back at his own home, Seokjin finished his dinner in a blink of an eye and rushed up to his room. He desperately need a little nap now. His energy was depleting so rapidly that he felt that he actually didn't sleep last night and had went for a late night jog the whole night. I'll just take a little nap now. Homeworks and revision can be done later. Jin thought to himself as he set his alarm up. It should wake him up an hour later. He placed the little alarm clock on the small table beside his bed and laid comfortably on his bed. In no time, Seokjin had drifted into the Dreamlands. 

Jinseok woke up from his deep slumber. He yawned. It was fun last night. He hadn't been able to go to the night club for the past few weeks and yesterday was the first time he went such a long time. He definitely missed the crowd and the cheers that were meant for him. Even though his body ached from all the dance movements he did the previous night, he was satisfied with himself. His dancing skills were still as good as the last time he danced and he was absolutely glad about this. He sat up from his bed and turned off the alarm clock that was going to ring a few minutes later. He wondered what should he does tonight. A sudden thought appeared in his mind. Without wasting another second, he changed into his black outfit again and quietly sneaked out of his home.

"Suga! Suga! Are you there? Min Yoongi!!" Yoongi heard someone calling him outside his room near the window. He took a glance out the window but couldn't see anyone out there. No one in the neighbourhood knows my nickname, Suga. Well, except that guy. Is he here?! Yoongi hesitated for a while before opening the window and looked down. There, standing under the big tree in front of his house was none other than the guy that had been pranking others together with him, Kim Jinseok. Yoongi was both happy and angry to see him here.

"Yah! Kim Jinseok! Where had you been this past few weeks? You just disappeared into the thin air after we made a prank on the rich man's kid, Jeon Jungkook. Do you know how hard it was for me to figure out a good excuse to escape from the suspicion of the police?" Yoongi voiced out his dissatisfaction towards Jinseok as he walked out of his house.

"I'm so sorry, Suga. I was...busy." Jinseok apologized. "I'm glad you managed to get yourself out of the trouble we made."

"That's because I'm clever, dude." Yoongi beamed. "So, what bring you here to my house in the middle of the night?"

"I wanted to do something BIG tonight." Jinseok's eyes sparkled with mischief under the moonlight.

 

After discussing and preparing everything they needed for tonight's mission, Jinseok and Yoongi arrived at Yonsei University. They looked at the huge school gate in front of them and then looked at each other.

"Are you sure you wanted to do this?" Yoongi asked the guy standing beside him.

"Yes, I'm sure." Jinseok answered. With a slight nod from Yoongi, they started their mission quickly, the dark night acted as their guardian, covering them in darkness so that not a single soul saw them and what they were doing. With Yoongi unbelievably ability of opening locks, they reached the principal's office in less than 30 minutes. Unlocking the last door, they slided inside the office quietly. Stood grandly on the uppermost display rack, was the school most prized possession, the "Honoured School of the Year" trophy. It was about 10 inches tall and was made with pure gold, given to the school principal by the Prime Minister himself. It was definitely an item that represents the school's name and pride. And today, their mission was to steal the trophy. They tip-toed over the office, taking extra care not to trip over the things in the office. They reached the display rack successfully. So far so good. Jinseok, being the taller among the two, reached out and easily took the trophy down. With Yoongi's help, Jinseok placed the trophy inside his backpack.

"Mission accomplished!" Both of them whispered excitedly.

Just then, the sound of footsteps approaching the office snapped them out of their joyful state of minds. Yoongi's eyes widened with shock and Jinseok could saw himself having the exactly same reaction as Yoongi from the reflection in Yoongi's eyes. He darted his eyes around, trying to look for another way to escape as the footsteps were now dangerously close to the door of the office. And he saw it, a small window across the room, just right behind the desk. Jinseok nudged Yoongi and eyed the door. Yoongi understood and in no time, they rushed to the window and forced it open. Thankfully, the window wasn't that small and with a few wriggles, both of them managed to get out of the office. As they ran for their dear lives, a shout was heard coming from the pricipal office, "The trophy was gone!!" Jinseok and Yoongi laughed as they disappeared into the night.

 

Seokjin jolted up from his sleep. He glanced over his shoulder to the alarm clock on the small table. 4.15am. His brows furrowed in confusion. His alarm clock didn't wake him up as it supposed to. No wait, someone had turned it off. He couldn't remember turning it off himself though, so perhaps his parents did. Seokjin rubbed his eyes and sat up. He still had homeworks from last night to finish and school at 7am. He dragged himself to the bathroom to prepare himself. I should be wide awake now since I've slept for almost 10 hours but why do I still feels like now? My body aches more today,argh! Seokjin brushed his teeth angrily. He was very confused why he felt so tired even though he had slept well and ate well these past two days. He could sensed that something was off but he just couldn't figure out what. Struggling off the thought, he started doing his homeworks under the dim table lamp light. Not even five minutes later, he suddenly had a headache and the pen in his grip broke into two when he clenched his fists due to the sudden pain. As the headache he suffered disappeared a few seconds later just as fast as it came, Seokjin suddenly had a very bad feeling. He didn't feel like going to school today.

"Kim Seokjin, the principal wanted to see you now." As if the reality was trying to proof that Seokjin's hunch was correct, his class teacher had told him that he was wanted at the principal office once the teacher walked into his class. He stood up, nodded politely to his teacher and went out of the classroom. Hoseok gave him a worried look and Seokjin mouthed that he's fine before he walked towards the office. Usually, he would have been proud to be called by the principal, for he knew that the principal called him either to praise him for getting good results or to give him important tasks regarding the student council. However, this time the feeling he had was different. It felt like he was summoned because of something bad he did. Seokjin cracked his head, trying to recall any mistakes he'd made during the past few days. Did someone accused me for cheating during the exams last week because my Maths got 100? Or had I unconsciously hurted someone with my harsh words while doing my duty as a student president? Unknowingly, he reached the principal's office. Taking a deep breath, Seokjin knocked the door.

"Come in."

"Good morning, Mr. Park." Seokjin bowed slightly to the principal. From the corner of his eyes, he spotted two policemen standing in the office. Something BIG  must have happened. 

"Please take a seat." The principal nodded and beckoned Seokjin to sit in the chair across his desk. Seokjin did as he was told. He waited for the principal to tell him what was going on.

"Seokjin, someone broke into our school yesterday night. And stole our most prized possession, the "Honoured School of the Year" trophy."

"What?! Who stole it? Did we managed to catch the thief?"

"We haven't catch the thief yet, but we do have our suspicions on someone in this school."

"Who is it?"

"Well, you."

"What?!!" Seokjin's eyes widened as the principal's words sank into his mind and he was more surprised when the two policemen that were quietly from the start suddenly rushed forward and grabbed him by his hands.

"That's right, kid. You're following us to the police station now for further investigation." One of the policeman said while the other skillfully cuffed his hands behind his back.

"N-no way! You can't do this to me! I would never do such a thing! L-let me go!" Seokjin tried his best to break free from the policemen but his efforts were in vain. As he was half-pushed towards the police car, Seokjin saw the principal looked sadly at him. The word "Disappointment" was clearly written on wrinkled face of the principal. He was frustrated with the sight and had to halt himself from shouting "I'M NOT THE THIEF!!" to the principal. I'm definitely NOT the thief!! Seokjin was determined to proof himself innocent.

 

"Let me ask you once again." Seokjin rolled his eyes when the inspector in front of him spoke calmly.

"I have already told you. I'm NOT the thief."

"Then, explain why is this found in the principal's office if you claimed that you didn't go into his office these past few days." The police placed a pink bracelet in front of him. He frowned when he recognize the bracelet. It was a brithday present from Hoseok. Seokjin sighed.

"Okay, I don't know how you've managed to find my bracelet in the office but I'm still going to tell you that I'm not the thief. Can you please call my parents? I need them to get our personal lawyer. I'm not going to talk anymore." Seokjin might looked cool and collected from the outside, but he was actually trembling all over from the inside. What was his bracelet doing in the office? What if the police managed to proof that he is the thief? What would his parents and Hoseok think about him?

 

-Two weeks later-

"I know you are not the thief. How can the principal accused you just because your bracelet was found in his office?" Hoseok swung his fists around angrily, not caring one bit of the glances he got from the other students in the cafeteria. It was recess time.

Seokjin chuckled, "Of course I'm not. I couldn't blame him though. If I were the principal, I would have had the same suspicion."

"But the police still couldn't find the trophy right?" His friend chewed on the third sandwich.

"No they couldn't. Whoever stole it had did a pretty good job on hiding the trophy." Seokjin sipped his cup of hot lemon tea. Their conversation ended as the bell rang. Life went on as usual and still the trophy remained missing.

 

One night, two months after the trophy went missing, a black silhoutte jumped out of Seokjin's bedroom's window in the middle of the night. The black figure made his way towards the graveyard situated behind a small hill somewhere near the housing area.

"Jinseok!" The black figure stopped in his track when he heard someone called his name. He turned around and found that it was Yoongi.

"Hey, Suga! You're here earlier than I've thought." Jinseok took off the black mask that covered half of his face, revealing his handsome features.

"You disappeared for two months again! I almost had a heart attack when I saw your face on the newspaper. I thought the police caught you after we stole the trophy but after that I realized the person on the newspaper had a different name. It's Kim Seokjin, one of the student that study in Yonsei University. That Seokjin guy could almost passed as your twin!" Yoongi spilled out everything that was in his mind before stopping to take a breath. Jinseok smirked.

"Nah, that nerd is not me. He's just a look-alike that got suspected for something we did. Luckily he wasn't stupid enough to admit that the trophy was stolen by him and took others' attention away from us. We're getting famous in this little town after what we did and I love it."

Yoongi laughed. Together the two digged out the golden trophy under the bark of a dying tree and admired it. The golden trophy glittered under the moonlight and Jinseok pulled off his hoodies, revealing his face, or rather, Kim Seokjin's face.

 

 


Author's note : Nobody is perfect. Even the most perfect person (you think/know) in the world has his/her own weakness(es). That's how this story came about. Seokjin and Jinseok are actually the same person, Jin. Jin is perfect in everyone's eyes, except he suffered from schizophrenia which no one knows about.