Returning Can Be Just As Difficult As Goodbye

Returning Can Be Just As Difficult As Goodbye

When you had left Korea, you had done so quickly and quietly; you didn't want to make people worry about you, specifically a man named Kim Sanggyun, your boyfriend...Or rather your ex-boyfriend...or maybe you were still a thing...

In all honesty, you didn't know if he had moved on with his life after you had left. Part of you hoped that he had, but there was also part of you that held onto the idea that he would have waited for you to return to him despite being gone for the past four years. It was a ridiculous idea and you knew that, but you wanting to believe it.

He was an idol though, in a group getting more popular by the day. ToppDogg's A-Tom was loved by many, and you knew the likelihood of him still having feelings for you after you had just up and left was slim.

He probably moved on, you told yourself as you gripped your passport tighter. They would be calling you for boarding soon, and every second that passed you by made you more and more anxious.

You had contacted his manager, who was surprised to hear from you, especially since no one in all of Korea had heard from you since before you left. Reluctantly, he agreed to allow you to see Sanggyun, but you would have to find a way to work it into his schedule; a task you  really didn't want to do, but you felt it was necessary. The thought of returning to the same country he was in and not seeing made you sick. Whether he has moved on or not, you needed the closure. And maybe a second chance.

As you approached the door to board the plane, you had to fight the urge to run back to your parents' house and lock yourself away. Running away from your problems would fix nothing, though, and you knew that. You drew in a shaky breath and forced yourself to walk into the plane and to your seat. You would see Sanggyun even if it killed you.

----

You silently slipped through the door to the training room, leaving in everything but your backpack outside in the sitting area. You were glad that none of the boys had noticed you, especially Sanggyun. However, you heart was beating almost as fast as the beat of the song they were dancing to. You swallowed hard as you took a seat, leaning up against the wall in a corner. Deep down inside, you wanted nothing more for him to see you, but at the same time, you wanted to become invisible.

It didn't matter though, because soon, the song ended and the boys paused their practice for a quick break. As each of the thirteen members turned around one by one to collect their water bottles, or whatever else it was they wanted at that moment, looks of confusion. Biting your lip, you stood up, still not saying anything; you felt like you were going to be sick.

"A-Alexis?"

The voice made your heart stop.

A pair of eyes fostered a look of disbelief. Sanggyun pushed his way through the mass of s to stand in front of you.

Suddenly, you found it hard to look at anything but your dirty, mint colored converse. "Sanggyun," you whispered. Guilt lodged itself in the pit of your stomach upon forcing yourself  to look into his eyes. While they once held bewilderment, now he looked as if you had betrayed him. In a sense, though, you had. Leaving without saying a word was not exactly a normal thing to do when in a relationship.

"What are you doing here?" He asked with a stiff voice. The tension in his body was visible. It was clear that he had so many things to say but had no idea on how to voice them.

The twelve other boys who were not involved all switched their gazes back and forth between the two of you.

You took a breath, trying to calm your nerves. "I-I came back," you said, somehow gathering the necessary courage to speak at a volume higher than a whisper.

Sanggyun was quiet before looking at s, clearly asking for a minute alone with you, and thankfully, they respected this, as they evacuated the room one by one. The two of you waited to hear the door shut behind them before speaking.

The silence that had settled between the two of you was mildly uncomfortable, but you didn't know what to say. He was the first to speak, though, and for this, you were thankful.

"What happened, Alexis? Where were you?" He asked. "I waited for you to call. To text. You left me nothing."

You blinked and fidgeted with the ring on your index finger. It had been your couple ring.

"I had to go home for a while," you said. "My mother got really sick. They...They didn't know if she was going to be alright. I'm sorry I left without saying anything. And I'm sorry that I stayed gone. I missed you, though, if that makes anything better."

Sanggyun gave a bitter laugh and looked away. "You pabo," he muttered.

You didn't even get a chance to react to his words, though, as he had grabbed you by the wrist and pulled you close, burying his face in your hair. "You pabo. I can't believe you're back. I can't believe you left, but I'm happy you're back."

He pulled back for a second, looking into your eyes. He had tears welling up, but you said nothing, as you were in the same state.

"You are back, aren't you?" He asked, eager to know the answer. "Please tell me you're back."

A small smile formed on your lips as you nodded. "Yes, Sanggyun. I'm back."