Fair Games 01

Fair Games

A gasp. It all starts with a gasp. When our cellphone rings at 3AM we can only gasp out of surprise and curiosity.

We sigh before we pick up the call. Our voice comes out sleepy and unclear - "Hello?" - but we're never aware of the consequences of this simple action, the price we could pay by saying these insignificant words. Maybe we're too surprised to notice it's an anonymous call or maybe we just think it can be important so we pick up. After all who calls someone at 3 in the morning?

"Yah! Yoo Changhyun! Where are you?"

The boy on this side rolled his eyes. He was not expecting the others to notice he was already out of that party way before midnight, be he never thought it would take them three hours to acknowledge his absence.

"I came back, I wanna take some sleep."

"Mwo?" Jonghyun screamed on the other side of the line. The music was loud, people were laughing at what it would be mere meters away from him and well, Jonghyun were never good at understanding things at first.

"I said I'm at the hotel, I'm tired."

"What the hell are you doing at the hotel, are you ok? It's Christmas. Come back here immediately."

Changhyun sighed. How would we exactly shove our best friend away without being rude. "Have fun."

"Wai-"

He slightly threw his phone at the bed and sat down, he rubbed his eyes with patience and sighed loudly one more time. No he was not ok. We're never quite OK when the Hollidays mean being away from home. He missed home. Whether it was good or bad, calm or chaos, he missed it. And being at a Teens Gone Wild party was not his exact choice of Christmas Eve.

The cellphone rings taking us by surprise. Again. We pick it up even more quickly than before because we're getting annoyed and upset with all the persistence. We don't mind about being rude now.

"Choi Jonghyun! Just let me sleep and I'll talk to you in the morning, ok?"

We prepare ourselves to hang up the call one more time but somehow we don't. We notice there's an uncomfortable silence on the other end and we were expecting to hear a big party instead.

"Jonghyun?" he managed to say. But there was nothing there, no one. "If this is some kind of idiot joke you're not being that amusin-"

"This is not a joke."

The voice he heard was deep and mature and the tone was somehow calm and frightening at the same time. He did not recognize that voice, he did not understand what was happening and he sure did not expect the call to hang up by itself before he knew it. He gazed the telephone with wide shaped eyes, even in the darkness he could see and feel his hand shaking with fear.

Everything passes by our minds. We think of all the possibilities and explanations to what is happening to us but we can't get a conclusive response. In the beginning we feel curious - Who was it? -, then we just lose our breath and our hearts start racing too quickly. We feel like we know the answer already.

But why would we be scared by what could be a simple prank call? Or maybe a mistaken one? There could be so many plausible reasons but we still get the chills. Because it sounded so convincing... Because we've seen so many movies that such things get all possible. And we're alone like so many other horror movie victims.

He screamed loudly when the phone rang again. He could not pick that up but he couldn't leave it that way either. The "Anonymous" sign on the screen only leave us even more scared and desperate.

"Hello?"

"I like that shirt." It's just a prank call. It has to be.

We pretend we didn't hear it at first. "Hello?" But it doesn't matter how many times we repeat this. There's no answer.

Changhyun hanged up after two seconds. His breathing was heavy, his head wandered all over the place as he eyed every little corner of that hotel room in just two or three seconds. His shaking hands dialed several numbers on his cellphone and even when he took the phone to his ear again he was still eyeing every single spot inside that suite.

Every second seems like hours when we're in desperation. Every call signal we hear on the other side looks like eternity. We start cursing to the people who don't pick up. We start walking from one place to another like a lost cockroach. We start shivering. We try to call somebody else. We know it's impossible for anyone to notice our calls because we're the only person in the world who's alone on a night like this. We quit. We're quitters.

The silence that surround us is overwhelming. It wouldn't be if we weren't , we're shaking out of fear due to a prank call, how ridiculous is this. We run to the door and try to open it, we rotate the doorknob but surprise, surprise, it doesn't open. We try to remain calm, no success, and then we turn the light on because now we're officially in a dangerous situation.

The room looked quiet and clean with the lights on. Changhyun felt more relaxed to the sight of it, nothing seemed out of place or dislocated and that calmed him down. Maybe he was the one who locked the door of course, stupid Changhyun. But then the sight of our opened window takes our heart back to the ground.

We feel observed. Changhyun was the perfect rationalist, he knew we all feel observed when we're scared and think there's something wrong, so he obviously knew this could be a simple product of his complex imagination. But he doesn't leave the door for a minute of two, taking a listen. He tried not too look cautious or frightened.

Then he took one step forward. Two. Three. He was now in the center of the room and he didn't know exactly why. Suddenly his cellphone starts ringing on the bed, and even if he was not that close to it he recognized the happy little portrait of a familiar face on the screen. He didn't move an inch but he eyed the room with caution without moving his head. He decided not the look back because he knew someone was there, he could feel it, so he waited a few seconds and prayed that Jonghyun didn't hang up the call before he reached the bed.

His legs, shaking, started running desperately and insecure. His hand grabbed the telephone and hit the green button without care, but a pain on his back hits him suddenly and he falls to the ground with a scream. His cellphone falls right next to him, yelling with his best friend voice. It's Jonghyun's time to ask "Hello?" over and over again while Changhyun was laying still on that cold floor without being able to ask for help.

A dark suited figure approaches him from behind. His moans and humming looked meaningless to the tall hooded man now standing still right next to him. Changhyun tried to crawl his way back to the cellphone but the man's foot stepped on his hand and a new wave of pain invaded him and he tried to scream again; a kind of loud, desperate moan leaves his mouth instead.

His pale, heavy body was dragged all the way back to the door by the collar of his  now-red white shirt. The moans were almost extinct now, so the room was only mostly filled by the sound of his body rolling on the carpet. His weak and pitched voice tried to say something - "Ple- please.." - but our body is almost dead by now and nothing seems to go our way.

The distant sound of his cellphone on the ground and the voice of his friend was still echoing in the room. It looked worried. For a moment Changhyun thought the other would come to rescue him, but then he reminded his stupid self that he was the one who pushed him away that night, the one who stepped out of that party all by himself without telling a soul.

Right before the door is opened by our hunter and our body is almost dead inside, the sight of a black gloved hand with a sharp blade is the last thing we see. It all ends with a gasp, our own.