Seungyoon of House Tully

Winners of the Game of Thrones

"Family, Duty, Honor." All his life Seungyoon has tried his best to do his duty to his family, and with honor.

House Tully has fought for so long. Of his immediate family, he only has his mother now. His bloodline has plunged too deep into the pools of death and oblivion. And after fighting for so, so long. Will they ever be winners again? Will they escape the shallows and keep on swimming like the trout that still remains on his family's banners, hidden in the dungeons somewhere?

Family. The one thing they all fought for now stands at the brink of destruction. House Tully is the last yellow autumn leaf and it is fluttering against the wind, struggling to hold on. 

Duty. He has done all he could have possibly done. He had fought until the very last moment. He had done his duty to his House, to Riverrun, to all of Riverlands. Now is the time to do his duty to his mother. For all he knows, she's the last of his blood remaining. Those who didn't die have fled, scattered in the wide world. No, he could not see House Tully emerge from all of this as winners again. How could he? He himself has fled with the rest. It was flee or die. I have not the faintest bloody idea where Brynden Tully is, damn him. Did he go West, to rescue Edmure? Or did he go seeking Brothers Without Banners, buying that Lady Stoneheart story like a child still at his mother's teat? Is he even still alive? If he was, would he care to help them? Is it so hopeless that he would not care about the last of Tullys in the world, struggling to survive? Does no one even dream of taking back Riverrun?

Honor. It was hard to think of honor while on the road, fleeing from your own home. It is hard to think of it now too, sitting in the Raventree Hall of the Blackwoods. Lord Tytos was kind enough to take them in, but Seungyoon wasn't exactly resting easy. He trusted Lord Tytos Blackwood well enough, but if word got out he had Tullys in his protection and in secrecy no less, who knows what could come of it? Who knows what the Freys might do?

Well, his mother is as safe as she could be here; there wasn't more he could have done. He would have built her a fortress the size of Harrenhal if he could. Was he to chase after the Blackfish blindly, hoping against hope to restore whatever remained of his House? Was he to leave Westeros, make for one of the Free Cities? Perhaps that would have been the smartest. If only he wasn't a Tully, and their words didn't bind him.

''There is one way,'' Lord Tytos had said with some uncertainty, ''My daughter Bethany... she is a maiden yet.''

Seungyoon knew what the proposition was immediately. Bethany was a pretty enough, gentle young lady that hadn't seen more of the world than a day's ride away from Raventree Hall. On a better day, he would have loved to marry a girl like her. On a better day, she wouldn't have been offered to him, a lordling cousin of Tully. He wouldn't have been important enough.

''The Lannisters-,'' Seungyoon tries to argue.

''Will not mind,'' Lord Tytos insists.

''With all due respect, my lord, you have bent the knee to the Lannisters.''

''Even so. You must trust me.''

Blackwoods, once most loyal to Tullys, now bannermen to Lannisters if need be, marrying into Tullys once again.

Seungyoon remembers the summers in Riverrun, watching children play in the shallows, catching fish only to throw them back into the water right away, screaming, laughing, wet head to toe. He remembers being a child in Riverrun himself, having to change his breeches seven times a day at least when the summers were warm enough and the water too inviting and entertaining to play in. Riverrun was never safe, not when you look at it strategically, geographically. But he had felt safe all the same, under Lord Hoster's rule and in his mother's arms.

Because he remembers that Riverrun, he agrees. Because he remembers the words. Family, duty, honor. 

He must do what he can.