One

Wait For Me

Wait for me, Omma! Wait for me!

 

The aged woman’s eyes snapped open, the fading dream began  to disappear from her mind.  She sat up, noticing her beloved husband still sleeping soundly beside her.

She decided to start the morning since she figured she had enough sleep to last the day.

Still, there’s something unknown gnawing at her heart, as if warning her that something bad would happen.

She made her way to kitchen only to be greeted by the sight of her two granchildren fighting with one holding a ladle while another had a spoon in his hand.

The two boys stopped when they see her standing at the kitchen doorway, waiting for her reaction with blushing cheeks.

It turned out that they want to prepare breakfast since it’s the holidays but they couldn’t decide what to cook and ended up fighting.

The amused grandmother just smiled and help them with the cooking. Her daughter and her husband was surprised to see that breakfast was served by their two grinning sons.

“ Where did you get the idea of doing this? “ the mother asked with a proud smile on her lips.

“ Uncle Hakyeon told us that he used to make breakfast for grandma when during the holidays ” .

Her daughter pursed her lips before asking “ But  didn’t you guys need an adult to cook the food ? ”

“ When there’s a will , there’s a way “ they both chirped happily.

“ When there’s a will, there’s a way, Omma. Don’t worry. I will achieve my dream, no matter the obstacles in my way”.

She laughed and tussled their hair. “ Thank you but you didn’t need to bully your grandmother to do this for you” .

“ We didn’t. She wants to help.”

“ It’s okay. Let start eating now or the food will get cold “ , the grandmother quickly intervened with the smile never leaving her face. But throughout breakfast, she couldn’t stop thinking about her son, her vitamin of happiness. Is he okay? Did he takes his breakfast? Did he has enough sleep? Will he come home for the holidays?

She was brought to reality when her daughter touched her hand, telling her that breakfast was over and she wanted to take her plate.

“ Didn’t he call yet? The boys are waiting for him. They are really excited to see their uncle again.”

“ Not yet. You know how busy he is. He will call when he have the time “ .

Still, she couldn’t stop herself from calling him but she only reached his voicemail.

It’s midnight when he called but she felt overjoyed to listen to his cheerful voice, telling her everything about his days and also his friends.

 He told her about his radioshow, Taekwoon’s song-writing activites, Jaehwan’s musical, Wonsik’s recent collaboration with Rain, Hongbin being more confident with his role as an MC and Hyuk who was working hard on his upcoming movie.

She enjoyed listening about their progreess since they mean so much for her son.

“ Omma, I’m sorry I didn’t answer your call earlier. You must be waiting for my call.”

“ It’s okay. I don’t mind waiting for you. I know you are busy with your dream.” She chided herself after saying that. He must feel guilty now. The silence that follows seemed to prove that point.

“ Hakyeon-ah, are you still there? I didn’t mean to make you feel bad. I understand the sacrifices you have done to reach your dream and please know that I didn’t hold anything against you. Just do what you love to do, okay.”

“ Thank you Omma. Thank you for everything. “ she could hear her son tearing up. She let out a small smile. Her sweet sensitive son. Suddenly....

“ UNCLE!!! Hello, this is your favourite nephew talking. When are you coming home for the holidays !?“ her grandchild out of nowhere appeared beside her and shouted at the phone. Her daughter quickly grabbed him and apologised to her before giving her ‘ I’m-really-angry’ glare which silenced the child.

“ Sorry about that.” Silence again. “ Hakyeon? Hello?”

“ Omma.....I’m s....orr..y . Sniff...sniff , I cannot go home. There’s a lot of programme to do and..sniff, Omma , I have to go now. The manager is calling me. I’m sorry, Omma and I love you. Bye.

Then he hang up, leaving a few unnoticed tears in her eyes.

I love you too.....


 

 N sighed as he shut down his phone. He stared at it before walking towards the van.

“ I’m sorry I have to do it this way. I don’t want to keep you waiting.”


 

She had been waiting for Hakyeon since she first know she was pregnant with another son. She waited for 9 months and she was happy beyond belief to see his cute pair eyes that shone with life.

Then, she waited for him to crawl, to walk, to say his first word, his first laugh. She also waited for him during his first day of preschool, fearing he will be afraid to be separated from her for the first time.

“ Wait for me, Omma! Wait for me!” he asked her with pleading eyes.

  The opposite happened. He had a fun time at school and was eager to come again. She also waited for him to appear on stage for his graduation. She waited for him to return from his late-night dance practices and numerous auditions.

“ When there’s a will, there’s a way, Omma. Don’t worry. I will achieve my dream, no matter the obstacles in my way” he said with determination in his eyes after another failed audition.

She waited to see him on VIXX’s debut stage and also their comeback stages. She waited for him to come home during the short breaks his company gave him.

She had been waiting for him for a long time. The thing is, she didn’t mind. Sure it was hard but as long he comes back to her, she didn’t care if she have to wait for him until the day she dies.

But this time, it was different.

 She is not sure if he will return to her as she stared at his unmoving pale figure on the white bed, countless machine attached to his body were the only thing that kept him alive.

The tears in her eyes were flowing non-stop but she didn’t make an effort to wipe them away.

The rest of the VIXX members were standing beside the bed of their beloved leader with their head hung low as if they were responsible for this to happen while in truth it was not theirs.

Leo was the first one to approach her since he felt responsible to his life-long friend’s mother. He couldn’t bear to see him lying just like that, not smiling or talking endlessly about anything.

“ How? How could this happen?” Hakyeon’s mother asked, the sorrow in her eyes was evident as she stared at Leo straight in the eyes.

 Leo flinched, no matter how much confidence he had muster throughout his idol years, he still felt like he wanted to hide from her gaze of despair. Her husband could only looked at him wordlessly as he tried to comfort his wife.

“  Hakyeon told me he had booked a bus ticket and boarded the bus immediately after he finished his radioshow. The police told us that on the way, a reckless driver suddenly swerved into the bus’s path and the driver tried to avoid it and ended up hitting the divider. “

“ But he told me he cannot go home because there are a lot of programmes he have to do and....”

“ He lied. The company had gave us a week-long break. He can’t stop talking about how he wishes that time could go faster so he can go and meet his family. He said he wanted to surprise you so he told you that he cannot go home. I did told him that it was unnecessary to lie to you but he just replied that he didn’t want to keep you waiting. I’m sorry, I’m sorry I couldn’t do more, I’m sorry...........” Leo finally sank on his knees, sobbing as hard as he could.

Soon, everyone in the room was crying, crying for someone who would probably never come back.

 

The ‘N’......

 

A/N   You guys think I will end this story like this? Nu uh. There’s no way I’m killing my bias. Enjoy this last bit.

“ Honey, wake up. You need to eat something. You didn’t eat anything since the last two days.” her husband gently shook her awake.

“ I don’t want to leave him. Please, just get me anything. I promise I will eat just don’t take me away from my son. I want to keep waiting for him.” Her husband just nodded with understanding before exiting the room.

“ Hakyeon-ah, I hope you are having good dreams. I know you are just sleeping but please promise your omma that her vitamin of happiness will come back. I really need my vitamin of happiness because without you, I couldn’t be happy. Please come back to me and don’t worry, I will be waiting for you, my son.” She grasp her son’s cold hand and squeezed it gently, feeling comforted by the constant beating of his pulse.

She must be imagining it but did she felt her son squeezed her hand?

“ Omma, I’m sorry I keep you waiting”, Hakyeon said softly, his voice barely reached her ears.

The End

A/N  There!! This is the real ending. Sorry for the cliche’ ending. Please give our parents lots of love and to those who can drive, be careful on the road.

P.S Happy Eid to all Muslims! Hati-hati di jalan raya.