The Brotherhood

The Princes of Floral Land

The Floral Land.The peaceful kingdom under Emperor Li. After serial of uprisings under ruthless rulers, Li defeated all and declared

himself Emperor of Floral Land. Lucky for the people of Floral Land,he was a wise ruler who stabilised the country and gave them basic needs. He was worshipped by his people and it was not surprising.

 

Emperor Li had 3 sons. Liang,Han and Song. Liang and Han mother was the Empress while Song was from his concubine. Therefore,it was understandable that Liang and Han were favored more by Emperor Li. But who did he favor more?Who would he choose to entrust his kingdom?

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It’s already winter and the Floral Land has it’s first snow. Liang and Han are practising their swordplay. Although Han is four years younger than Liang,his swordplay is almost at the same level at Liang. They both had different style of sword play. Liang is regid ,followed exactly from the manual,there is no wrong in his movements. While Han is flexible, he does not even memorise the moves well,yet he is able to fight back with mixed and matched movements from those that he learnt.

 

Looking at their swordplay sneakily behind the pillars is a group of palace maids, which included Mei.Mei has been in palace for 10 years. She,like any other palace maids is fascinated by Liang and Han.Who won’t for such a handsome and talented princes?

 

“Mei.So are you team Liang or team Han?” Her friend asked.

“I don’t know.Both of them are doing so well.I wonder who will win?” She questioned.

 

The snowfall is getting heavier, Liang movements are getting intense. His eyes showed determination which assure other that he will win.

 

Han has no time to attack but defend to not lose.Han moved backwards in his defense,until he reached the pillar that Mei was standing.

 

Han’s and Mei’s eyes met and the spark flew the moment they did.At least it was for Mei. His black sparking eyes stood out the most among his beautiful pale face. She could not take her eyes off although she knew it is a sin to look directly at Prince without permission.

Within a split second, Han grabbed Mei’s Waist and held her close to his body. He held her firmly and tightly..He then passed the sword to her,while controlling her hand.In a second, she became attacker while completely controlled by Han behind her.

 

Pointing the sword at Liang’s throat,they flew forwards,causing Liang to retreat. Liang was surprised by his brother's move,who made use of a girl. his sword dropped and everything came to stopped. Liang lost.

 

“How dare you to point sword at me.” Liang voiced out. He was not shouting or exactly scolding, but his authoritative voice caused chill down Mei’s spine. She dropped to knees,”I am sorry Your highness.” she apologised.

“Oh brother. I am sorry.Don’t punish her. It was my idea.”

 

Liang looked at both of them and then walked away quietly. Snowflakes,everywhere.Han followed his brother,repeatedly calling him. For Han,Mei might have been just another palace maid but for her,he became her new dream. She knew that she has fell for him.She knelt on practice ground,covered with snow.

 

“I will be yours...and you will be mine.”

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Liang walked towards his palace,holding his sword.He is puzzled by Han’s action who broke the rules and willing to point the sword at his throat.Han catched up with him.Han looked at Liang with bright and innocent smile and said. “Ge,you are not angry aren’t you? I am sorry. I just …” Liang stopped and looked at Han. He then dusted off the snowflakes on Han’s hair. “Han. I am fine.” He then smiled.His smiles failed to mask the sadness.Han felt guilt for his action as he knew Liang doted him the most.Han quickly goof around to remove awkwardness.

 

The movement of soldiers and ministers towards the courts caused the curiosity to the two princes.  One servant approached them.” Your highnesses,the king asked you two to join the court's meeting.” Both of them rushed towards the main palace under their father’s order.Something must have happened.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at all these events was Song,leaning on Palace wall,feeling lonely.His father never called him for country’s matters and his brothers never really played with him.

 

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

 

Floral Land was under sudden attack by Gaha Kingdom. The generals at the borders were killed and military suffered loss. Emperor Li had no choice but to make his sons go for wars. He never wanted to do that.

Emperor Li walked back and forth in front of his golden throne,wearing anxious expressions. He hated the ideas of sending his young sons to war, especially Han,but the ministers kept suggesting it.

 

Both Liang and Han learnt about the situation upon entering the courtroom. Liang hated the Idea.

“Father,I am the oldest,Let’s me alone lead the army to fight the Gaha.Han is still at tender age of 17.How could a child be at the war?”

 

“Your Highness,you are saying this because you are afraid that Han will take credits if you two go to war together?” Minister Ku pointed out. He is supporter of Han,or more of someone who can’t wait to see the brotherhood destroyed.

 

“Father,I will never go against you but this time I will. Han should be with you  and mother,staying in capital.He is not old enough!”

 

“Your Honor. Please decide wisely and not pursued by wolf covered in sheepskin.” Minister Ku suggested. Liang glared at Minister Ku,his eyes showed desires to kill him on the spot.

 

“I will go Father.” Han told Emperor Li.

“Father,thank you for believing me and Brother,thank you for worrying about me.I will go.”

 

Emperor Li sighed upon hearing Han.HE would have only sent Liang if Han rejected. Han’s decision caused more supporting from Minister Ku,followed by many ministers soon.There is no turn back,both of them have to lead the army and leave the capital immediately.

 

Liang touched the scar on his arm.He got it when he was 3 years old.While his father was fighting in uprising,their home was attacked by rebels. They killed everyone,including his older brother right in front of his eyes. Only his mother,now Empress,and he survived. It was all before Han was born. Liang never wanted wars to happen again,Because of that and his emotional scar of losing his older brother made Liang more protective of Han.

 

“Han.Don’t go.Father will forgive you.I will tell him.”

 

“Ge,I want to protect my country. And I want to fight together with you.Ge.Don’t worry.I will not fight for throne with you.I am doing it purely for the country.”

 

“I don’t care about throne.All I care about is you.Young boy.You don’t know what is war.”

 

“Ge,I..”

 

Liang hit the Han with his sword hard.Han was knocked out instantly.He then called one of his servant and made him wear Han’s armor.

 

“Look down and don’t talk.Stay on Han’s horse until further instruction.”

Liang then locked Han’s room,he looked at Han with regrets and whispered “I’m sorry.”

 

The Emperor and Empress looked at them with worried eyes as Liang led the army out of palace. They believed both of their sons are going war but never knew that Han was in his room, unconscious.  

 

When Han regained consciousness,everyone is gone. No one around Han’s room thus there is no way to hear his shouting or banging of door.

However,there is one. Song. He was walking around the palace alone, lifeless.The banging sound made him curious thus he walked towards Han’s room.

“anyone there?” Song asked softly,half worried-half curious.

 

“Song,open the door for me.”

 

“Han ge?!”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------